[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Kirby ever get any name drops in Marvel Movies? I know Stan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 960x540
Does Kirby ever get any name drops in Marvel Movies?
I know Stan Lee appears in all of them
And I remember Spider-Man's landlord being ditkovich (reference to Steve Ditko)
But I honestly can't recall a single time they ever mention Kirbys name even if it was like "hurry up...winter solider is on Kirby Ave"
>>
>>82413479

Nope.
>>
>>82413516
Well that's kind of lame. They could at least have a photo of the guy hanging on someone's wall
>>
>>82413479
>Deadpool gave nods to Liefeld, Kelly and Nicieza
>Kirby ain't getting shit
Sad.
>>
>>82413479
Fuck no.
>>82413561
I love how Lee appeared in Deadpool's movie like he created that character.
>>
File: 1461617660672.jpg (748 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1461617660672.jpg
748 KB, 4160x3120
>>
>>82413479
Special thanks credits in Cap movies
>>
>>82413579
Well to be fair he portrayed an old man who was pretty literally whoring out other people's talents.
>>
>>82413664
kek
>>
Captain America should have an old photo of his World War Two buddies and one of them should have Kirby's head photoshopped in

Is Marvel still mad at Kirby?
>>
>>82413579
>like he created that character.

Didn't stop him from being in either Captain America movie
>>
>>82413664
Ha.
>>82413695
Why would they be mad at him?
>>
>>82413722

He had the idea to bring him back. He's crucially important to Cap's history.
>>
>>82413479

Closing credits usually ends with something along the lines off "characters in this filmed based off of characters created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, etc"

that's about it
>>
>>82413479
Kirby's name is still taboo at Marvel. Rick Remender himself said so.

>>82413792
That doesn't equal creating.
>>
>>82413812
see
>>82413587

From the Dr. Strange set.
>>
>>82413812
I would argue that Kirby and Lee's revival of Captain America is even more important than his origin. It may very well be the best origin story ever, though it's not an origin.
>>
>>82413842
That took years.
>>
>>82413875
Well yeah but it's obviously not "still taboo".
>>
>>82413892
If they do the same with future movies, I'll believe it.
>>
ngl a pic of WW2 Kirby and Cap together would be amazing.
>>
>>82413479
>>82413579

Stan Lee is contractually required to appear in any promotion that Marvel makes involving Marvel Comics characters, on request from the company. This also applies to rightsholders outside the Marvel group - so FOX has the ability to request him.

If he doesn't turn up, he's in breach of his obligations. His age is pretty much immaterial, as it's been proven that actors can work right up until their dying day no matter how old they are, provided the production isn't pushing them too hard (which is fine, as Marvel's rights are all held by union shops where protections exist). Short of a debilitating illness or injury, there's no way for him to get out of it; he probably doesn't want to, either, because he's still getting paid, and a lot of that money probably goes to the Stan Lee Foundation, which promotes access to literacy, education and the arts throughout the US. Movie sets can be a lot of fun, and it's better than sitting at home drooling in your underpants while the "nurse" takes another text break like most 90 somethings.

Incidentally, the SLF has a Jack Kirby biography right smack in the middle of its main page; there's no Jack Kirby Foundation, because he was never a philanthropist.
>>
File: 05.jpg (37 KB, 431x392) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
37 KB, 431x392
>>82413948
>the Stan Lee Foundation, which promotes access to literacy, education and the arts
>literacy, education and the arts
>>
>>82413948
>he was never a philanthropist.
Hard to be when your "friend" has gotten all the money.
>>
>>82413913
When did Remender say this?

Because up until last year the Kirby family - none of whom created any of his characters - were suing Marvel. It's understandable that there would be bad feeling, isn't it? Your pay doesn't rise with inflation because the legal costs of some assholes have to be paid? You'd resent that. The creators wouldn't care, they're contractors, they get paid more than you and in a different structure.

When the Kirbys and Marvel settled the case, the agreement was just that Marvel would credit Jack Kirby for the creation of a number of characters who'd been published prior to credits being awarded to any creator - this being before the reforms Stan Lee put through as EiC to give his colleagues the public recognition be believed they deserved - but the problem with that is that it's basically referring to characters created 70 years or more ago. So in the end, the Kirbys got recognition at one company for a dead man's hand in creating characters that haven't in most cases survived into the modern era because they were bad, at great expense, and without ever having to prove to a court that Jack Kirby actually created those characters. For all you know, he was an old bullshitter and his kids bought into it. Maybe they just saw some old comics and assumed it was his stuff because of the style. Doesn't mean a whole lot, I'm sure Liefeld's kids would struggle to identify him among 90s artists.
>>
>>82413948
Huh, that's pretty interesting.
Yeah, Stan has been giving credit to people his whole life and keeps doing so, no matter how much bitter stuff Kirby said in his later days, and no matter how some people on /co/ feel they're cool for hating "the normies' comicbook guy".
>>
he was a jerk

>>82414006
and he had no business sense
>>
>>82414006
Kirby was paid very well indeed. Stan Lee made sure of it.

It was only when he went over to DC after one argument too many that he realized how good he'd had it.
>>
>>82413842
That's not from the Dr. Strange set, it's from the Guardians of the Galaxy set. Why would Kirby be involved in the Dr. Strange set when Dr. Strange is one of the few silver age Marvel characters that Kirby had 0 involvement with. Strange is purely a Lee/Ditko creation.
>>
>>82414107
What Kirby characters will be in Justice League? New Gods? The Demon? Kobra?
>>
>>82413812

The movie never said he created Cap.

Although it was a shame that Simon didn't show up. He was still alive.

Stve should have helped him, and he should have gotten a line aboit Steve reminding him of a friend from when he was a kid.
>>
>>82414239
I thought that was weird but I remembered it from a Strange thread.
My mistake.
>>
>>82414294
Darkseid will probably be the JL2 endgame villain.
>>
>>82413812

Why the hell are they acting mad at the One Above All?
>>
>>82414333
So who's 1? Starro?
>>
>>82414334
He had a falling out with Marvel and left them for DC.
>>
>>82413948

Kirby never signed a sweet contract to be paid a million year for doing nothing but typing a slogan. I don't begrudge Lee this. Just saying Kirby never got this.
>>
>>82414377

That was in the 70's man. He's appeared in comics long after that. Even went back to Marvel to do a slew of great work.
>>
>>82414377
Yeah, I once read that the New Gods were supposed to be a sequel to Marvel's Thor with the Old Gods being the Asgardians, but Marvel said no to that idea.
>>
>>82414239

Meanwhile for Guardians he just did Ronan, Groot, and the Celestials.
>>
>>82414294
Darkseid at least
>>
>>82414076
There are 3 stages to the comic book fan

>1 You love Stan Lee, think he's the greatest creator in the universe and that he created everything from Aquaman to Zorro

>2 You hate Stan Lee, think he's the devil and he did nothing but count money on Jack Kirby's wife's back. He invented nothing, created nothing and contributed nothing.

>3 You appreciate Stan Lee, you know that while his creative feats have been wildly exaggerated, both by himself and others, his true work was invaluable, under appreciated and fundamental to comic books.
>>
>>82413479
They haven't met God, yet, so no.

We might get him in Dr. Strange or Infinity War, though.
>>
>>82413479
Let the dead rest, man.
>>
File: stan laugh.jpg (30 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
stan laugh.jpg
30 KB, 670x377
>>82415451
and if you're an actual comic book fan you skip right the fuck over 2 somewhere in your early teens.
>>
>>82415451
The best thing Stan ever did and why he should be in every movie is that he was THE ambassador of comics. Stan talking about comics could get people who would never have thought about picking one up to pick one up.
>>
>>82415778
Yeah, I don't mind how fast you get to phase 3 as long as you do.

Lots of people in /co/ are stuck in phase 2.
>>
File: 1392174275957.jpg (11 KB, 352x398) Image search: [Google]
1392174275957.jpg
11 KB, 352x398
>>82414239
>Strange is purely a Lee/Ditko creation.
>>
File: KirbysNote.jpg (121 KB, 468x700) Image search: [Google]
KirbysNote.jpg
121 KB, 468x700
>tfw TMNT honored Jack Kirby more than Marvel.
>>
>>82415451
>he's the devil and he did nothing but count money on Jack Kirby's wife's back
Even though I entirely realize he's not that and respect what he means to cape comics and Marvel in particular, this is still a funny meme.

Good executives never get credit as executives because most people just don't et what their job is.
>>
>>82416589

My favorite skit from X-Play was the Stan Lee parody where he goes in about how he fucked Kirby's wife
>>
>>82417078
>X-Play
What's that? Google gives me Motorola shit.
>>
>>82413479
He would if he hadnt become such an asshole on his last years, he burned a lot of bridges and then died of high levels of salt in the body
>>
>>82417181

Google X-Play Stan Lee or Roger, The Stan Lee Experience
>>
>>82417300
Thx
>>
>>82418211
>support Kirby
How?
Did you put flowers on his grave?
>>
>>82418254
I buy his comics, in digital and paper. And you? implying you even knw what comics are
>>
>>82418322
Me too. Kirby's dead though, you ain't supporting him for shit.
>>
>>82418394
His art endures, unlike Stan's "writing."
>The day Stan dies I will stop consuming Marvel
Well done.
>>
>>82413812
Nobody said you have to create a character to cameo in his movie, that only exists in your head
>>
>>82418585
Indeed, no one said so. Did you even read the post?
>>
>>82418525
Could you try baiting harder? 'm not feeling it right there.
>>
There's a really, really fucking long article about Stan's legacy on vulture.com (which I won't link lest of all I'm accused of shilling) which I found really interesting and thorough, though I don't know how accurate it is.
Did anyone who read it tell me if it's more or less accurate about him?
>>
>>82418748
>vulture
Very logical. I prefer Twomorrows.
>>
>>82418774
I don't know shit about the site, just this one article piqued my interest, because it went into detail about the history between Stan and Kirby and Ditko.
>>
>>82418828
>Captain America: Civil War Is a Busy — But Uninventive — Blockbuster
I take that back. Vulture does not believe in brand loyalty.
>>
>>82418917
>Say what you will about Zack Snyder, he aims for a mythic palette, mixing Expressionistic silent-film imagery with art-museum-worthy religious iconography
>The best way to think of Captain America: Civil War is as a toy box in which the sheer quantity of toys partly makes up for the lack of anything new. But the big takeaway is worrisome. Marvel has created a universe teeming with superheroes who simply don’t have enough to do. They’re all suited up with nowhere to go.
Thank you for mentioning the site, anon. Thank you.
>>
>>82413479
>Does Kirby ever get any name drops in Marvel Movies?

It's backhanded, but the Law Firm of Goodman, Kurtzberg & Holliway got a nod in Agent Carter. Kurtzberg being Jack Kirby's original family name, before he adopted Kirby as a pen name and later legally changed it. Goodman being Martin Goodman, longtime Timely/Atlas/Marvel publisher. I guess Lieber (Lee) hadn't made partner yet in '46, his name was part of the firm in Dan Slott's She-Hulk run.
>>
>>82419054
>Martin Goodman
He was as petty as his nephew; I guess it ran in the family.
>>
>>82413479
Is Jack Kirby /co/'s Araki?
>>
Movie about the life of Jack Kirby when?
>>
>>82420959
Tezuka is /a/'s Kirby
>>
>>82420959
>>82421538
2weeaboo4me
>>
File: Dan_Turpin.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Dan_Turpin.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
then there's DC

>that final episode dedicated to Jack Kirby
>Superman at Turpin's funeral, that long shot of his silhouette with the flowing cape inf ront of the grave
>>
>>82421538
proofs?
>>82421594
fuck you
>>
Kirby was thanked in the credits i'm pretty sure though.
>>
>>82421622
>ploofs?
Fixed.
>>
>>82420959
Then who's /co/'s Araki? Frank Cho?
>>
Why did the Jews screw over one of their own?
>>
If the JL movie has Darkseid, surely they will credit him. "Darkseid created by Jack Kirby."

>>82421615
Beautiful.
>>
>>82421653
how I am a weeaboo? Enlight me.
>>
>>82421615
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4

that shit was rough.

kids shows man. they had balls back then to do stuff like this.
>>
>>82413858
>It may very well be the best origin story ever

Is not even batman tier
>>
>>82414070
Kirby had a pretty recognizable style among Golden Age artists, actually. It doesn't look like "classic" late 50s and on Kirby, but I've been able to successfully tell him apart from other artists in golden age anthologies. One of the things I've especially noticed early on is his characters have a tendency to have a few body parts out of the panel, something not that common in the day.
>>
>>82422308
isnt Kirby also the one who created or is at least most known for that particular way of drawing space and shit?
>>
>>82422653
Kirby Krackle
>>
>>82422771
Those amazing machines where ondulated lines meant great power.
>>
>>82415451
Yup. I've thought something similar about Star Wars and George Lucas.
>>
>>82423039

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I know I have
>>
>>82423154
Welp, I guess this is what DC haters are supposed to do.
>>
>>82423090
Burton actually read comics though.
>>
>>82423339
He read one.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.