[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Marvel have such a fetish for Cap beating Ironman?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 106x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 106x160
Why does Marvel have such a fetish for Cap beating Ironman?

I can understand Batman beating Superman (popularity) though despite that their W/L record is about even

but Cap beats Tony 100% of the time despite being weaker, dumber and less popular
>>
>>82393063

>cap'n america
>less popular than Ironman

tony was mostly unkown to the casual fanbase before the MCU desu

also the movie is called CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR why did you expect tony to beat the clear protagonist of the movie?
>>
>>82393343
>tony was mostly unkown to the casual fanbase before the MCU desu
Tony is more popular NOW and by far

>also the movie is called CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR why did you expect tony to beat the clear protagonist of the movie?
Everyone going to see it are Marvel Studios fans in general not Cap fans

Doesn't matter though
my point is that it's a strange choice to have put Tony in this situation where he is set up to lose in the first place
>>
truth be told, it was stupid to give it the cap'n america title, they should have called it simply civil war or avengers: civil war
>>
>>82393491
>avengers: civil war
wasn't really big enough for the "avengers" tag

it was a cap movie because it needed Ironman to boost the box office

ironman make 1 billion on his own
>>
To be honest, Iron Man always came off as a jackass even before Cap came out. He was just such a mess, and he became tedious in Iron Man 2 as it felt like he devolved as a person. Cap is genuinely likable and outside Avengers, he's portrayed as an altruistic person.

Here's a good comparison. Who makes you feel more giddy to see team up? Iron Man with any other hero, or Cap with any other hero? Iron Man just keeps shutting others down and downplays them. Cap always seems to give people their fair shake, even if they were once a villain.
>>
>>82393702
>Cap is genuinely likable
he's a bland mary sue, you're projecting whatever you want onto him

IM is an actual character who has chemistry with others
>>
They didn't call it Avengers Civil War for a few reasons.
1) It's mainly a Cap story. It was originally gonna be Cap 3, and it still is as he's the focal point.
2) Releasing a sequel a year after the last film would milk the cow dry.
3) It would fool the actors into believing they still got another Avengers to go.
>>
>>82393772
Tony's character is being a smartass and doing a lot of quips. The only movies until Civil War where he felt like a real person were the original Iron Man and The Avengers - and in Avengers it was only because he had Banner and Cap as foils.

Cap is only a mary sue if you think any character who isn't edgy is a mary sue.
>>
>>82393063
Cap's superpower is that he always wins when he's the underdog

Because America
>>
>>82393873
>Cap is only a mary sue if you think any character who isn't edgy is a mary sue.
describe his character

he is literally the same guy he was at the start of cap 1, there was no character arc
>>
>>82393943
>describe his character
He's idealistic to a fault, extremely old-fashioned, always tries to take the moral high ground, and is conflicted by that despite supposedly being a man of peace the whole reason he exists was to be used in war.
>he is literally the same guy he was at the start of cap 1
No he isn't
>there was no character arc
Most of his development happens in the first and third movie, because he was literally FROZEN for decades and is only getting back to action on Winter Soldier
>>
>>82393063
Iron Man is the antagonist. The antagonists tend to lose in fistacuffs.
>>
>>82393436
>Tony is more popular NOW and by far
Cap won every poll Marvel/Disney did on this.
>>
>>82394127
>and is conflicted by that despite supposedly being a man of peace the whole reason he exists was to be used in war.
example

>No he isn't
yes he is
>>
>>82393772
Tony is a fun character that people love to hate, he's highly flawed and interesting. People like to watch movies about him fucking up, but when it comes down to supporting him, polls show that the audience sides with Cap almost 2/3 the time.
>>
>>82394179
>Avengers makes >$1billion at the box office
>Ironman makes >$1billion at the box office
>Cap 1 makes less than Thor
>Cap 2 makes around $700m
>>
>>82394203
>example
That was the point of his flashback in Age of Ultron. The team he pretty much leads also causes massive collateral damage whenever they show up. He's an hypocrite.
>yes he is
He's so completely, radically different even within the first half of the first movie that I simply can't be assed to describe the character's development throughout every single movie
>>
Is the the airport scene anywhere I can watch/download on my phone?
>>
>>82394249
I really enjoy the tv show Hannibal. If there was a poll on whether or not I "supported" him, the answer would be no. Do you really not understand the difference?
>>
>>82393343
It's honestly quite odd there calling it a cap movie instead of just a standalone title
>>
>>82394235
This
>>
>>82394235
Not after civil war. A lot more people seem to side with iron man now.

Which makes a really cool story. Where your main protaganist has to make the choice that people are conflicted on or that disagree with him. But even if they think cap is wrong they like him.
>>
I love the "IRON MAN HELP" meme
>>
>>82393343
>why did you expect tony to beat the clear protagonist of the movie?

It's what people expect after BvS
>>
college dropouts that want to see rich successful graduates being beaten by blue collar dumbfags
>>
>>82393063
I guess because both of them represent a crucial aspect to America.

The dream, and the job.

Cap is an idealistic man who values freedom and peace above all. He's fair. He doesn't give a shit about race, religion, sexuality or anything like that - as long as you're a good person. He's what America used to wish it was.

Where as Tony is what America can be already, a cold, clinical machine man that's all about the industry, money, the system - but only if he's at the top of it. He's arrogant, thinks himself better than his peers. And he has control issues.

Cap's whole gimmick is Past V Present.

While He is a clear representation of what American was, Tony is the ultimate symbol for what America IS.

And audiences love seeing the big rich douchebag get kicked to the ground by he earnest kid from Brooklyn.

They love the underdog hero.

And they love seeing all the worst things inside of themselves lose to something more noble.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.