[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marvel's "The Wire"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 19
File: Cheo Hodari Coker.jpg (305 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Cheo Hodari Coker.jpg
305 KB, 640x427
Luke Cage will be Marvel's The Wire, according to screenwriter

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/luke-cage-will-be-marvels-the-wire-according-to-screenwriter-a6984431.html

>“It’s very sophisticated,” Cheo Hodari Coker told Collider. “I mean, it’s got a ’90s hip-hop vibe, but it’s really forward-thinking.

>“I would like this to be, I mean, I know this is heavy but, The Wire of Marvel television, because we really deal with a lot of different issues.”
>>
File: wire.gif (1 MB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
wire.gif
1 MB, 288x288
>>81849210
> 90s hip-hop vibe,
>>
>>81849210
I should get around to watching the wire.
>>
File: 189.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
189.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>
>>81849210
>Luke Cage will be Marvel's The Wire, according to screenwriter

So it will just be as try hard and pretentious like every other Marvel Netflix show
>>
>>81849210
What's Netflix' obsession with The Wire?
They claimed Daredevil will be "more like The Wire", now this. Other crime shows that can be a good comparison exist too.
>>
File: 1459352239542.jpg (163 KB, 872x950) Image search: [Google]
1459352239542.jpg
163 KB, 872x950
>’90s hip-hop vibe
I don't know if I want this for ironic reasons or actual reasons, but I know I want it.
>>
File: 1399848098459.jpg (34 KB, 383x383) Image search: [Google]
1399848098459.jpg
34 KB, 383x383
>>81849210
>’90s hip-hop vibe
>>
File: herc-carver-huh-the-wire.gif (794 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
herc-carver-huh-the-wire.gif
794 KB, 320x240
>>81849210
>’90s hip-hop vibe
>>
I'm looking forward to Luke Cage but no, it absolutely will not be "Marvels The Wire".

Especially not when this is coming from the Executive Producer of NCIS: Los Angeles.
>>
When the fuck was hip hop a prominent part of The Wire.

Is he referring to just black people? Why wouldn't he use the word urban instead if he wants to be less blatant.
>>
>>81849954
Martha?
>81850344
I mean it could be hard edged street level shit. I expect it to be closer to the Wire than DD honestly.
>>81850347
Because hip hop isn't just a style of music. It's a sensibility. Like describing something as "punk rock"
>>
>>81850384
You will never be able to say anything bad about anything Marvel related without being accused of being a DC fanboy
>>
>>81849210
>Luke Cage will be Marvel's The Wire, according to screenwriter
Like how Jessica Jones was Marvel's Girls?
>>
That's an enormously high bar to set for yourself. That's like saying your new comic book will be equivalent to Watchmen.
>>
>>81850078
When you're trying to say you're the best, you compare yourself to the best. And the wire is one of the best.
>>
>tfw my hype for everybother Netflix series including IF has vastly reduced due to my hype for a potential Moon Knight netflix series
Why must you do this to me Moony
>>
>>81850078
>What's Netflix' obsession with The Wire?

It's widely considered the greatest television show ever written, if not the benchmark for quality and pacing.
>>
>>81850839
wire has terrible pacing tho
>>
>>81850436
Martha?
>>
>>81849210
>mcu-lite garbage has the audacity to compare itself to The Wire
Jesus Christ...
>>
>>81850436
In what way are the Netflix shows "try hard" or "pretentious"? It's like you had a bunch of negative adjectives written on pieces of paper in a hat and picked 2 at random.
>>
>>81850839
I'm pretty sure that's Sopranos.
The Wire is good, but it's not THAT good.
>pacing
Oh wow.
>>
>>81850896
How are the Netflix shows MCU-lite garbage? They're clearly a part of the MCU and are some of the most critically acclaimed superhero related shows ever.
>>
>>81850938
Not him, but the fact that something like Jessica Jones is critically acclaimed only shows that critics have no standards.
>>
>>81851046
>"I don't like it so it must be bad"
Kek
>>
>>81851080
>m-muh shitty show is not bad, I swear
Oh, fuck off already.
>>
>>81851046
>>81851046
Critics gave JJ and Supergirl praise because of female protagonism (yep, the good ole "this sucks but gets Good Goy points)

People praised DD because it's good.
>>
>>81850927
Well, technically, Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are critically higher rated on imdb and rt than both the Sopranos and The Wire.
>>
>>81850872
>>81850927

The Sopranos is more popular now, but the Wire is better.

The Wire doesn't use narrative conceits like omniscient narration or musical overlay.

In the Wire when music is played, it's from a passing car or stereo and the characters are aware of it, there's one flashback in the entire series, in the first episode, that was never again used because the showrunners found it distasteful not to trust the audience to follow the story.

The Wire is brilliantly drafted.
>>
File: jimmy olsen doesn't even care.jpg (91 KB, 563x800) Image search: [Google]
jimmy olsen doesn't even care.jpg
91 KB, 563x800
>>81851108
>>81851046

Supergirl "gets a pass" because it's a live action cartoon. It's exactly like someone modernizing an old Supergirl story from the 70's, complete with rote dialog and characterization.

Jessica Jones received praise for being good. It's well acted, it has a strong idea of what it wants to be and mostly succeeds at that.
>>
>>81851151
That Flashback part is fucking shit m8 I'm glad they stopped

>>81851145
>Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones

gross
>>
>>81849909

Seriously! I don't even LIKE crime dramas and police shows, and yet I was so absorbed by this show that I wound up watching the entire series in the space of like two weeks. Everyone who refuses to shut up about how great this show is are actually correct.
>>
>>81851188
>received praise for being good
Holy shit, you can't seriously have taste that shit to believe it.
>it has a strong idea of what it wants to be and mostly succeeds at that.
Go buy some standards, seriously.
>>
>>81851201
I rewatch the Wire at LEAST once a year. Which reminds me I haven't had my 2016 viewing yet.
>>
>>81850872
Spoken like a true pleb.
>>
>>81850916
>In what way are the Netflix shows "try hard" or "pretentious"?

They're pretentious because they try to be these serious to be taken, grim crime shows but they don't actually have the writing to back it up, so it's just HBO style dark and moody aesthetics with CW tier character writing, speak nothing of the blatant use of filler to make the episodes run long enough to reach that one hour time frame to give it that faux prestige feel when they try to emulate HBO shows. Whenever they have to insert comic book elements to the story they have no idea how to incorporate them to the world they've built, hence why everything is so downplayed and nerfed, (see Jessica Jones and her complete inability to fight anybody if the plot calls for the bad guy to get away) and thus the result tonal whiplash is absolutely jarring and seems to completely derail whatever they were doing with the show so far.

Try hard mainly comes from their ridiculous over the top use of violence and gore. They try to use them to make the show appear more mature, but the use is so inconsistent, random and excessive, not to mention juvenile, that you just laugh how out of place it looks. In contrast, whenever they try to use dark storylines, like rape and whatever, it's completely toned down to a point where it might as well not be there. Jessica is suppose to be a massive alcoholic, but her drinking doesn't really seem to have any negative effects on her life, etc.
>>
>>81851201
Because it's not really a crime drama/police show, it just fools people into thinking that because there's police involved. It deals with a lot of stuff, from corruption to incompetence in the education system.
>>
>>81851212
>Holy shit, you can't seriously have taste that shit to believe it.

What about Jessica Jones do you find to be bad? Beyond general dismissal?

>Go buy some standards, seriously.

Is Jessica Jones the greatest show of all time? No. Is it very well made? Yes.

I'd put it above some of the best genre television out there right now, like the Expanse or Twelve Monkeys.
>>
I WISH I WERE LEVAR BURTON
>>
>>81851276
Fuck it, I'll just copy my own shit because I'm tired of typing it out for idiots like you.
>extremely boring cast
>absence of any subtlety to the point where Snyder seems like David Lynch
>very shitty villain who's about as threatening as a Seinfeld character
>no good tension or suspense despite the show wanting to be a thriller at times
>no good detective work despite the show trying to be a noir detective
>shit pacing
>shit dialogue
>bad cinematography
>no atmosphere of any kind unlike, say DD, where Hell's Kitchen actually feels like a shithole.

>Is it very well made? Yes.
GET. SOME FUCKING. STANDARDS. YOU. DAFT. CUNT.
Watch a fucking good show for once in your shit life.
It's a terribly done show. It's abysmal in every way. If I wanted to watch a shittier Hannibal, I'd
>>
>>81851305
WARP SPEED, DON'T RAINBOW READ ME, NIGGA
>>
>>81851318
*I'd watch something like early Dexter.
>>
>>81851235
>In contrast, whenever they try to use dark storylines, like rape and whatever, it's completely toned down to a point where it might as well not be there.

Jessica Jones verbatim confronts Killgrave about him raping her. The comic tried to wiggle out of the specifics of his abuse of her, the show made no such constraint.

I mean jesus, the first episode establishes he can turn people into assassins with verbal triggers.

>Jessica is suppose to be a massive alcoholic, but her drinking doesn't really seem to have any negative effects on her life, etc.

She's miserable asshole to nearly every person she meets, and is shown to constantly oversleep and be coping with her trauma.

I don't think you actually watched the show.
>>
>>81851318
>to the point where Snyder seems like David Lynch

Whoa man let's not get too carried away here.
>>
Hold the phone. I was just on the Luke Cage IMDB and a guy was cast as "Diamondback". Does that mean Willie Striker will be included, after all?
>>
>>81851368
No, it's that insultingly, childishly simple when it comes to show's themes. The show treats the viewer like a moron.
It's almost on par with some saturday morning cartoon's "don't do drugs, kids" episodes.
>>
>>81851347

In comparison to the gore they love to show, JJ's rape storyline is completely nerfed down. But I guess that can be put under American's puritanism where excessive violence is ok but anything sexuality related is almost completely taboo.
>>
>>81851318
>>extremely boring cast

Ritter is excellent at making Jessica sympathetic. Hellcat Jr, Nuke lite, they're pretty good.

>>absence of any subtlety to the point where Snyder seems like David Lynch

We don't even see Killgrave's face until several episodes in. He's built-up to slowly over like half the season.

>>very shitty villain who's about as threatening as a Seinfeld character

His pettiness and narcissism are part of his character. He could rule the world but instead destroys people and has only the pretensions of class and taste.

>>no good tension or suspense despite the show wanting to be a thriller at times

Your perspective.

>>no good detective work despite the show trying to be a noir detective

She mostly photographs people cheating on their spouses, like real detectives.

>>shit pacing
>>shit dialogue
>>bad cinematography
>>no atmosphere of any kind unlike, say DD, where Hell's Kitchen actually feels like a shithole.

JJ as a show is concerned with Jessica's perspective and past, not grand statements about society. It's inherently more intimate and specific.
>>
>>81851397
Well, how could you make her rape storyline be more graphic and shocking when it really was just (at the time) consensual sex that she later regretted? Mind control or not, Kilgrave never violently raped her body. You could say he raped her mind, but physically, there was no actual rape.

Which is kind of funny when she confronts him about it and he just dismisses it and tells her to grow the fuck up and that there are people who went through real physical trauma, like he did. And anyone but the tumblr audience has to agree with him there. What he went through is a million times worse than what JJ had to endure.
>>
>>81851384
But I mean....Zack Snyder

Come on man
>>
File: Diamondback Death.png (2 MB, 1129x568) Image search: [Google]
Diamondback Death.png
2 MB, 1129x568
>>81851381
Oh cool! I guess so. Diamondback is kind of entertaining in what a pushover he ended up being. Luke puts so much importance on getting revenge on the guy when getting out of jail, and then beats him in like, the second issue.
>>
>>81851381
Him and a fat black lady are suppose to be villains. I'm interested in this because we've never had a sassy fat black lady as the villain other than Medea films, but even still Medea is an anti-hero.
>>
>>81851397
>In comparison to the gore they love to show, JJ's rape storyline is completely nerfed down. But I guess that can be put under American's puritanism where excessive violence is ok but anything sexuality related is almost completely taboo.

What the fuck are you talking about? Criticize the show by its own merits, not some agenda you have.

Jessica Jones deals upfront with rape and its aftermath on Jessica's life. It does not sensationalize or eroticize her sexual abuse.
>>
>>81851448
>but physically, there was no actual rape.
I'm not sure you understand the concept of "rape". It's sex without consent. A person who is under mind control can't give consent freely.
>Which is kind of funny when she confronts him about it and he just dismisses it and tells her to grow the fuck up and that there are people who went through real physical trauma, like he did. And anyone but the tumblr audience has to agree with him there.
Yeah, you're just fucked up.
>>
>>81851318

>very shitty villain who's about as threatening as a Seinfeld character

But that was the twist. You build him up to be some sort of mad villain, but he turns out to be some lovable asshole with all the power to take over the world, but none of the will.
>>
>>81851491
>lovable
>>
>>81851416
>Ritter is excellent at making Jessica sympathetic.
No. Fucking no. She's bland as shit and you can't make a bland character like Jessica Jones sympathetic anyway.
>Hellcat Jr, Nuke lite, they're pretty good.
I reiterate, you have shit taste.
>We don't even see Killgrave's face until several episodes in. He's built-up to slowly over like half the season.
Nice job evading the criticism
>His pettiness and narcissism are part of his character. He could rule the world but instead destroys people and has only the pretensions of class and taste.
I don't give a fuck what's a part of his character or not. Hannibal Lecter is petty and narcissistic. He's a terrifying monster with his own inhumane sense of morality in every incarnation sans Rising.

Kilgrave is a boring one-note sociopath that's impossible to take seriously.

>Your perspective.
Nah, perspective of anyone who has a semblance of taste and watched at least one actually good thriller in their lives.

>She mostly photographs people cheating on their spouses, like real detectives.
Yes, and? Doesn't change the fact that some detective work could've improved the show and did something for its pacing.

>JJ as a show is concerned with Jessica's perspective and past, not grand statements about society. It's inherently more intimate and specific.

Also, congratulations, you've made another weightless non-argument for why this shitty show is "good". Now fuck off.

>>81851491
>lovable asshole

He was a one-dimensional sociopath, you fucking faggot. There's no twist. He was just a boring villain. Stop trying to excuse his shittiness.
>>
>>81851448
>Well, how could you make her rape storyline be more graphic and shocking when it really was just (at the time) consensual sex that she later regretted? Mind control or not, Kilgrave never violently raped her body. You could say he raped her mind, but physically, there was no actual rape.

She regretted it because she was under the influence of mind control and unable to give consent. She was physically raped by Killgrave because he physically engaged with sex with her when she could not give consent.

>Which is kind of funny when she confronts him about it and he just dismisses it and tells her to grow the fuck up and that there are people who went through real physical trauma, like he did. And anyone but the tumblr audience has to agree with him there. What he went through is a million times worse than what JJ had to endure.

Did you write that sentence from the perspective of Killgrave? Because that's the perspective of a sociopath.
>>
>>81851481
I don't know about you, but I would definitely rather be mind controlled for a year by a moderately attractive british lady that took me out to 5 star restaurants and had sex with me, than be physically tortured and experimented on and have needles rammed down my spine on a daily basis.
>>
>>81851542
>I would definitely rather be mind controlled for a year by a moderately attractive british lady that took me out to 5 star restaurants and had sex with me
Yeah, but we're not talking about your kinks here, are we?
>>
>>81851516
>you can't make a bland character like Jessica Jones sympathetic anyway.

I feel like you have a bias.

>Nice job evading the criticism

How is building up the primary villain over the course of the season not subtle? How is the slow reveal of Jessica's connection to Luke Cage via the murder of Luke's wife not subtle?

>I don't give a fuck what's a part of his character or not. Hannibal Lecter is petty and narcissistic. He's a terrifying monster with his own inhumane sense of morality in every incarnation sans Rising. Kilgrave is a boring one-note sociopath that's impossible to take seriously.

Killgrave was a child who got mind control powers from torturous medical procedures. He had a stunted view of sexuality and was a petty, lecherous snob.

If you find him so one-note, understand that in real life rapists are often that shallow and controlling. Killgrave was picturesque, unexaggerated depiction of a serial rapist.

Lecter by comparison is a super villain.
>>
Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad are doing the score for this show. What can we expect?
>>
>>81851473
That's Cornell "Cottonmouth" Strokes, and Mariah is quite slim and a politician.
>>
>>81851542
>I don't know about you, but I would definitely rather be mind controlled for a year by a moderately attractive british lady that took me out to 5 star restaurants and had sex with me, than be physically tortured and experimented on and have needles rammed down my spine on a daily basis.

It's not a competition. You're attempting to disqualifying the experiences of a rape victim because on paper she might have endured fewer years of shit than her rapist's childhood.

You apparently don't understand how patronizing you come across as.
>>
>>81851516
>He was a one-dimensional sociopath, you fucking faggot.

Well done, you didn't understand his character at all. The message they tried to convey was that if a regular person, let alone a regular asshole, had the power to control people's mind since early childhood, they'd be pretty much forced to become a sociopath simply because they don't know any better. They even showed how Kilgrave struggled to choose words when he tried to live without his powers for a while.
>>
>>81851604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRnvjCkTsw
>>
>>81851604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxN4nKk2cfk
>>
>>81851621
Well, any real rape victim also had a far worse experience than JJ. That highschool girl who Kilgrave mind controlled and made her kill her parents, she was legitimately raped and abused by Kilgrave against her will. JJ wasn't.
>>
>>81851612
>That's Cornell "Cottonmouth" Strokes
Oh, still cool I guess.

>and Mariah is quite slim and a politician.
>Quite slim
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
>>
Isn't it funny how every time someone tries to shit on the MCU that person always ends up BTFO? Gee, it's almost like there actually is very little legit criticism against these films and shows and people hate them simply to hate them! But why would anyone act like that hmm?
>>
I've really enjoyed Daredevil's two seasons (haven't watched JJ yet), and most of the MCU movies, but trying to compare yourself to The Wire?

Bitch, please. You'd best step up or shut up.
>>
>>81851667
2nd, JJ is kind of a fag overall
>>
>>81851594
>I feel like you have a bias.
No, I just have taste.

How is any of that subtle? Do you have a slightest idea of what subtlety is? Of course not, why am I even asking? You liked Jessica Jones after all.

>MUH REAL LIFE
Gee, that's why Criminal Minds' serial killers are such fantastic villains. Oh wait.
He's an extremely shallow boring character,

To top it off, he's extremely unthreatening and pathetic. Not even pathetic in a creepy way, just pathetic in the way you don't want your main villain be.

>>81851629
>Y-YOU DIDN'T THE UNDERSTAND THE CHARACTER TOO DEEP FOR YOU
Shut the fuck up. There's nothing to fucking get about him, he's a rich teenage girl in a Disney show. Boo-hoo what an exciting and deep character. Fuck off. He's one-note and shallow, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>81851667
>she was legitimately raped and abused by Kilgrave against her will. JJ wasn't.
Why do you say that?
>>
>>81851706
If what I just told you is really too deep for you to understand, then you might be genuinely retarded.
>>
>>81851675
Thinking about it she could have been Marvel-Street levelverse's Amanda Waller.
>>
>>81851720
The only retard here is you because you can't read.
>>
>>81851728
Yiou don't understand Kilgrave's character. People explicitly explain to you why you don't understand his character and what you are missing. You ignore their argument and instead insult them and go with the "hurr durr too deep for you" counter. Yeah, you are legitimately retarded.
>>
>>81851754
No, you fucking retard. You don't understand that I perfectly understand Kilgrave's character. I'm not missing anything, he's just not interesting at all.
>You ignore their argument
Except I didn't.
>go with the "hurr durr too deep for you" counter.
Which is what you were implying by saying I DON'T GET YOUR SHITTY CHARACTER
Yep, you can't read. You worthless retard.
>>
>>81851516
I disagree with you on pretty much everything but she does detective work at least . Finding that girls brother and finding Kilgraves parents. And revealing the red ranger was the one following her. Also investigating that couple, though that was a trap. Also finding the Doctor who healed Kilgrave.
>>
>>81851594
>Lecter by comparison is a super villain.
And Kilgrave is a fucking cartoon character. Now what?
>>
File: spittingthruteeth.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
spittingthruteeth.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>81849210
>>
>>81851453
That's pretty ballsy, that would've taken 6 issues at least nowadays.
>>
What's the best season of the wire?
>>
File: Darkseid on TV Dramas.png (731 KB, 481x501) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid on TV Dramas.png
731 KB, 481x501
>>81852969
>>
>>81851594
>unexaggerated depiction of a serial rapist.
You can't be fucking serious.
>>
>>81852607
Part of it is I think how fast comic stories went in those days, but it also seemed to be about how ultimately unsatisfying revenge is. The guy ends up dying from his own exploding knife, and it doesn't really change anything, his wife's still dead, and Luke still has to just go on with his life.
>>
90s hip hop had dick to do with the Wire. What the fuck is this pretentious ass fuck trying to say
>>
>>81851080
>>81851046
I don't think Jessica Jones is bad by any means, but it's not some fucking MUST SEE program that the reviews paint it as.
>>
>>81851706
>No, I just have taste.

Bad taste.

>How is any of that subtle? Do you have a slightest idea of what subtlety is? Of course not, why am I even asking? You liked Jessica Jones after all.

You didn't actually refute any of my points. You come across as obviously contrarian and grasping for legitimacy.
>>
>>81853319
He never actually said "it's like the wire because of 90's hip hop" learn reading comprehension.
>>
>>81853634
>Bad taste.
Says someone who thinks Jessica Jones is a good character.
>You didn't actually refute any of my points.
Except I did, you dumb faggot. If you can call your "points" that.
>LE CONTRARIAN
You can fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>81853149
>You can't be fucking serious.

Okay, rapists don't have literal mind control powers, but the narcissism, the petty sadism, the treatment of others as pawns, are all pretty textbook.
>>
>>81853704
No, you moron.
He's as cartoonish as they come. If you really believe he's not exaggerated in any way, you're a dumb fuck.
>>
>>81849210
>Luke Cage will be Marvel's The Wire
It will end in a sad note and with bad guys being unpunished? 2edgy4Marvel
>>
>>81853733
But The Greek did nothing wrong.
>>
>>81853673
>Says someone who thinks Jessica Jones is a good character.

She's fine. How many grizzled alcoholic PIs are there? She's in a long tradition of Sam Spades. It's a well established archetype.

>Except I did, you dumb faggot. If you can call your "points" that.

You did not at all. You dismissed them without evidence. Many of the characters have an intertwined history that is slowly revealed through behavior and dialog. How is that not subtle?

>You can fuck off, faggot.

If you do not wish to be called a contrarian, perhaps you should not act like one. If you're unwilling to start a dialog and only throw insults, you are being opinionated for the sake of it, a contrarian.
>>
>Jessica drinking
>Jessica having a hangover
>the annoying neighbours being annoying
>the junkie neighbor being a junkie
>Killgrave being the baddie in the shadows
>Luke Cage being very disquietingly erotic
>JJ's irritating friend being irritating
>Carrie Ann Moss making butchy dyke faces
>rinse and repeat
What was so good about this series, again?
>>
>>81853731
>No, you moron.
>He's as cartoonish as they come. If you really believe he's not exaggerated in any way, you're a dumb fuck.

I can assure you that real life is stranger than fiction, and there are a multitude of serial rapists who are violent and delusional in their behavior.

Are you denying the existence of personality disorders?
>>
>>81852969
>>
>>81849210
They're fucking themselves over with that comment. They're going to need more than having a black superhero to live up to that claim. The Wire has so much depth that universities actually use it to teach sociology.
>>
File: 1328392417059.jpg (46 KB, 155x300) Image search: [Google]
1328392417059.jpg
46 KB, 155x300
>90s hip-hop vibe

oh hell yes
>>
>>81850872
I have been on 4chan since 2009, and I am currently mainly a /k/ and /pol/ guy, but this may be the stupidest opinion I've ever read on this site.
>>
Hill Street Blues was also so based, and influential.
>>
>>81853834
>What was so good about this series, again?

Why the aversion to Jessica's alcoholism?
Why the problem with Jessica having a hangover?
Yeah the neighbors were pretty terrible.
What was the problem with the junkie, given what is eventually revealed in the series?
Why the problem with Killgrave's foreshadowing?
Why do you find Luke Cage "disquietingly" erotic?
Why did you think Patsy Walker was annoying?
Carrie Ann Moss is a hardfemme business dyke thankyouverymuch.
>>
File: shiiiiiiiiiieeet's hilarious.gif (3 MB, 400x273) Image search: [Google]
shiiiiiiiiiieeet's hilarious.gif
3 MB, 400x273
>it's a "McNulty fucks everything for everyone involved" episode
>>
>>81853958
>Why do you find Luke Cage "disquietingly" erotic?
Why don't you?
>>
>>81853814
>a shitty cliche is fine
Yes, you abysmal taste if you think she's a good character. Or like Jessica Jones at all.

> You dismissed them without evidence.
Maybe because they were complete shit?

>How is that not subtle?
Alright, since you're too dumb too lok up the dictionary

>Simple Definition of subtle
>: hard to notice or see : not obvious
understanding things that are not obvious
THERE IS NOTHING SUBTLE ABOUT BASIC STORYTELLING LIKE BUILDING UP A VILLAIN OR A PLOT POINT YOU DUMB FAGGOT. There was nothing subtle about that shit show. everything was chewed out for a dumb baby viewer. Like you.
>If you're unwilling to start a dialog and only throw insults
That's only because you're as dumb as a bag of bricks and extremely annoying, so you deserve every insult thrown your way, so fuck off.
>I DON'T LIKE THE WAY HE TALKS TO ME CONTRARIAN
Fuck off.

>>81853886
>i-it may exist in real life, so it's not cartoonish
So, people with the exact same personality as Freddy Krueger may exist. Better get back everything I said about him being cartoonish too.
Moron.
>>
>>81853754
What do you mean did nothing wrong? He calls himself the greek despite not being greek.
>>
>>81853149
>>81853344
>>81853634
>>81853673
>>81853704
>>81853731
>>81853814
>>81853834
>>81853886
Hey, here's a keen idea.
How about you guys shut up about Jessica Jones already in a Luke Cage thread? It's really not so interesting of a show that it needs to be talked about at this point.
>>
>>81849210
>Luke Cage will be Marvel's The Wire
OK, who will be a lesbian? Who will be a hitman? Who will become a school teacher?
>>
>>81851667
>Well, any real rape victim also had a far worse experience than JJ.

Again, not a competition.

>That highschool girl who Kilgrave mind controlled and made her kill her parents, she was legitimately raped and abused by Kilgrave against her will. JJ wasn't.

Again, Jessica Jones was raped when Killgrave had sex with her when she was incapable of giving consent. You're arguing that a more recent trauma is worse than an older traumatic experience, Jessica was with Killgrave for longer and killed under his order as well.

Killgrave "legitimately raped" every woman who was under the influence of his mind control. Your use of that phrase implies you're trolling for a reaction.
>>
>>81853986
>Why don't you?

I found him obviously erotic.
>>
>>81854107
Who will be natural pooolice?
>>
>>81853989
>>a shitty cliche is fine
>Yes, you abysmal taste if you think she's a good character. Or like Jessica Jones at all.

An archetype is only a cliche if the character isn't made distinct. Jessica has a unique history with Patsy Walker, rebuilds and makes new friendships, finds love and forgiveness with Luke Cage. etc/

>> You dismissed them without evidence.
>Maybe because they were complete shit?

Again, refusing the confront my points implies you have can't.

"Put up or shut up" as the saying goes.

>THERE IS NOTHING SUBTLE ABOUT BASIC STORYTELLING LIKE BUILDING UP A VILLAIN OR A PLOT POINT YOU DUMB FAGGOT.

No, it was exactly subtle. It meets the definition you posted. Are you going to argue with the dictionary?

>That's only because you're as dumb as a bag of bricks and extremely annoying, so you deserve every insult thrown your way, so fuck off.

Ever the contrarian.

>Fuck off.

I will not. I will stand by my statements and continue to argue my points. Unlike you.

>So, people with the exact same personality as Freddy Krueger may exist. Better get back everything I said about him being cartoonish too.

You just defeated your own argument. You directly acknowledged that people in real life can behave cartoonishly.

Thank you for your conceit. I'm glad I was able to sway your opinion.
>>
>>81854337
I don't know, but here is your good police.
>>
>>81854352
>An archetype is only a cliche if the character isn't made distinct.
And she isn't distinct, you dumb faggot. A random relationship doesn't change the fact that she's a generic "I had the bad thing happen to me, now I'm a cunt" character.

>Again, refusing the confront my points implies you have can't.
What points?
>t-they're good character because I said so
>villain build-up is subtlety
>y-your perspective, because I don't know how to prove that Jessica Jones isn't absolutely devoid of any kind of tension or suspense
>h-he's a good villain because [list of reasons unrelated to quality of a villain]
>watery "i-it's a show dealing with personal issues" as if that's a sign of quality
Your "points" are absolutely weightless and shallow. You've said nothing of value and done nothing to prove me wrong.

>No, it was exactly subtle
If you're a fucking moron.
Seriously go fuck yourself. If you think anything in "LOOK AT THIS DRUG ABUSE/RAPE METAPHOR" show is subtle, you should kill yourself.
>keeps riding the contrarian meme
You're pathetic.
>I will stand by my statements
Why bother? Your statements are idiotic flailing attempts at defending a shit show.
> You directly acknowledged that people in real life can behave cartoonishly.
>hurr I'm too dumb for sarcasm
You know what? Go eat asbestos. I'm sure no one would mourn you.
>>
>>81854107
featuring special guest star Russell "Heimdall" Bell
>>
File: 142093420141.png (981 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
142093420141.png
981 KB, 1280x720
>>81849210
>The Wire is a realistic setting, taking place in a real City of Baltimore, involving normal humans with contemporary weapons involved in the drug trade and the socioeconomic/political issues that surround the characters.
>The Black Panther is a monarch living in a isolated, yet economically and technologically advanced, African nation from the rest of Africa, and their standard of living makes the rest of world appear Middle Ages at best. It's a nation that hoards its technology from the rest of the world, and is completely pagan in nature that identifies with an animal god that gives certain citizens worshiping it supernatural powers.

How are they alike in anyway?
>>
>>81854652
>economically and technologically advanced, >African nation
I know you're baiting, but Black Panther will always be the silliest cape character because of what I quoted.
>>
>>81853989
Anon, take a breather. You're mad.
>>
>>81854680
It sounds racist, doesn't it?
>>
>>81854706
Of course I'm mad.
I'm tired of all you faggots trying to convince me your shitty show is the best thing since sliced bread and not a godawful piece of shit which it is.
>>
>>81854652
I never cared for Black Panther. He's a douchebag on par with the other douchebags who refused to share their invention to the world, such as Reed Richards and Tony Stark. They even formed their own douchebag organization literally called the Illuminati because they couldn't trust the people to actually live their own lives. So, they, of course, believe they are the only ones who have the right to dictate the fate of humanity as they see it: behind the scenes, without the awareness, let alone the consent, of the masses.
>>
They said Daredevil was also like the Wire

It certainly fucking wasn't
>>
File: Athame_smirk.png (125 KB, 308x305) Image search: [Google]
Athame_smirk.png
125 KB, 308x305
>>81854714

It kind of is. It's like Lee and Kirby decided to create the anti-African African, but instead of coming as inspiring it draws attention at the very real disparity between African nations and everybody else.

It's tantamount to creating a superhero called Captain Big Dick and make him from East Asian descent.
>>
>>81854821
Omar would kick DD's ass.
>>
>>81854607
>And she isn't distinct, you dumb faggot. A random relationship doesn't change the fact that she's a generic "I had the bad thing happen to me, now I'm a cunt" character.

She had several interpersonal relationships, both platonic friendships, work associates, and a romantic interest in Luke Cage. This is the basis of all character development.

>What points?
>Your "points" are absolutely weightless and shallow. You've said nothing of value and done nothing to prove me wrong.

Again, repeatedly again, you can't confront my points, you have to change my words and attempt to lampoon me rather than honestly reply. You are constantly shifting or twisting my argument because you cannot form a salient rebuttal. You are losing badly in this discussion for the record.

>If you think anything in "LOOK AT THIS DRUG ABUSE/RAPE METAPHOR" show is subtle, you should kill yourself.

An allegorical image or moment implies a degree of subtlety, yes. Many shows don't have the means to do that. Now, you argue whether they're good or bad metaphors, but your belligerent dismissal only makes you seem asinine.

>You're pathetic.

Says the sore loser.
>>
>>81854680
>I know you're baiting, but Black Panther will always be the silliest cape character because of what I quoted.

Atlantis, El Dorado, Shangrila, Kunn Lunn, Nanda Parbat, Savage Land, why does a ancient hidden civilization not bother you anywhere else but Africa, the cradle of humanity?
>>
Right away it can't be like the Wire. The show is called Luke Cage and has a definitive protagonist. You could make the argument McNulty is the main character of the Wire but it's very clearly an ensemble show filled with plot lines he's not involved in at all. Hell in season 4 he's borderline absent altogether.

The Wire is about a city. Luke Cage is about a guy with superpowers. That isn't even a bad thing, but the comparison makes no sense.
>>
>>81854824

Black Panther is modeled in the same vein as Namor, Ka-Zar, or any number of people from magical isolated kingdoms.
>>
>>81854922
>Atlantis, Shangrila, Kunn Lunn, Nanda Parbat
Those places are traditionally associated with ancient wisdom. El Dorado and Wakanda, not so much.
>>
>>81854858
>a character having relationships undoes how generic and cliche they are
Okay. Whatever you say.
>you can't confront my points
Whatever helps you sleep at night, kid. Your points are trash that has zero value. I'm not "confronting" them, because they're "I like it so it's good" instead of offering any meaningful criticism. Which you seem to be utterly incapable of. I've alread offered a rebuttal. You're just too dumb to understand it.
>You are losing badly in this discussion
>IF I REPEAT IT WILL BE TRUE
I repeat, pathetic.
Since you're too dumb to understand this, I refuted your shitty points already. You've done literally next to nothing to prove me wrong.

>An allegorical image or moment implies a degree of subtlety, yes
Oh, hi Zack Snyder! Jesus Christ, just shut up already.
>your belligerent dismissal only makes you seem asinine
The only asinine thing here is your posts.
>Y-YOU'RE A LOSER I WIN
Pathetic.
>>
File: Q&W2.jpg (7 KB, 169x116) Image search: [Google]
Q&W2.jpg
7 KB, 169x116
>>81854858
>>81855259
>>
>>81851092
You fuck off first, fagtron
>>
Real question: will Disney allow them to say "nigga" in this show?
>>
>>81855378
No you
>>
>>81855259

Oh wow, you devolved into a pottymouth.

You have nothing left but name calling.

I claim victory. Please be humble in your defeat.
>>
>>81855541
>I'll ignore every point you made and claim I win because I can't handle my shitty show being criticized.
Why are Jessica Jones-fags so retarded?
>>
Less shit posting, more NY hip hop that should be in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQVSXy1XI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MUGAxpI0Bc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vw4ajnWGA
>>
>>81855659
2 out of 3 of them shits ain't even 90s nigga.
>>
>>81854824
>It kind of is. It's like Lee and Kirby decided to create the anti-African African, but instead of coming as inspiring it draws attention at the very real disparity between African nations and everybody else.
How is that racist though? What you just referred to are socioeconomic condition in Africa.
>It's tantamount to creating a superhero called Captain Big Dick and make him from East Asian descent.
That's not even remotely comparable.
He's called "Black Panther". He's in no way supposed to be an anti-african. He's supposed to be an African ideal. Only white people pretend to be worried that Black Panther is racist. Black people make blogs called "We are Wakanda".
>>
>>81855613
>Why are Jessica Jones-fags so retarded?

I think JJ is good show.

You've spent all morning arguing about something you claim not to like.

And I bet you watched every episode.
>>
>>81856093
>I think JJ is good show.
That only proves that you have very low standards.

>morning
I'm sorry, I forget it's hard for Amerifats like you to comprehend that their time zone =/= everyone else's time zone.

>And I bet you watched every episode.
Only because I was desperate for a good psychological thriller/horror series. Too bad I got this garbage instead.
>>
>>81850661
Actually saying that your new comic book would bebthe next Watchmen would be an incredibly low bar, because Watchmen's concept was already done to death by the end of the decade.

It's literally THE most "lel what if genre X was full of assholes LMAO" plot.
>>
>>81856578
Morrison pls
>>
>>81856185
>I'm sorry, I forget it's hard for Amerifats like you to comprehend that their time zone =/= everyone else's time zone.
>non U.S. country pretends anyone gives a fuck about their timezone on an American imageboard
>expects every other poster to give enough of a shit to even consider that they might be at a different time.
People like you are why this board is known as /co/mblr. Sorry if we forgot to use trigger warnings for you.
>>
>>81856605
Dude, I like Watchmen but it's been done way to death.
>>
>>81856668
No need for that, I'm forgiving of your Amerilard stupidity at this point. I mean, you're all like very ugly kids with Downs. And guns. Your stupidity can't be helped and can only be seen as adorable.

Though, it's amusing to me that you enjoy Jessica Jones, yet have the gall to call someone else /co/mblr.
>>
>>81855659
Adding to the list, Adrian Younge's previous work on the Black Dynamite soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-B-txqoW4
>>
>>81856668
>Be american
>Get buttblasted over people not being burgers on a chinese imageboard.
>>
File: 1456292902639.gif (790 KB, 245x169) Image search: [Google]
1456292902639.gif
790 KB, 245x169
I hereby state that >>81854858 is the winner of his argument with >>81854607 simply by virtue of being able to communicate his thoughts without frothing at the mouth

4chan ref out.
>>
>>81857461
>LOOK MOM I'M SAMEFAGGING XD
You're as pathetic as your argumentation for why JJ is a good show.
>>
>>81854652
10/10 troll, made me check the OP to make sure
>>
>>81856748
I don't even watch JJ but goddamn you mad
>>
>>81857586
Yeah, sure.
It's not like you can't change IPs.
It's not like you conveniently have that information.
It's not like your writing style is exactly the same.
It's not like you weren't trying the same trick before.
You're such a failure you can't even troll properly. Just kill yourself, waste of flesh.
>>
>>81857667
Why should I be mad?
I'm not the one who's gonna get fat on burgers and watch his kids die in a high school shooting.
>>
>>81857664
>he admits he can change his IP so as to samefag
In that case, >>81857704 is right.
>>
File: asterix.jpg (55 KB, 357x520) Image search: [Google]
asterix.jpg
55 KB, 357x520
>>81857704
>>
>>81857793
It's not just me, anyone can. And if I was invested in this argument enough to samefag, why would I admit it?
>>
>>81857803
>anything you said
>well-reasoned
Jesus Christ, your delusion is pathetic.
>>81857816
Keep shitposting harder.
>>
>>81857586
>Anonymous (53) 04/15/16(Fri)18:58 No.81857461
Wait, what setting do you do to get the number by the Anonymous?
>>
File: 1451626153101.jpg (66 KB, 498x307) Image search: [Google]
1451626153101.jpg
66 KB, 498x307
>>81849210
>The Wire
>90's hip-hop vibe
>>
>>81857932
Read
The
Article
>>
>>81857853
He said, you mean. I haven't even watched JJ, I just like poke-the-autist threads.
>>
>>81857969
>he said
Yeah, yeah. As if anyone is falling for that, shitposter.
>>
>>81857906
It's a 4chanX feature.
>Mark New IPs: Label each post from a new IP with the thread's current IP count.
>>
>>81858061
Huh. Can you tag people by their IP place? I. E. The first poster always has a (1) over their posts?
>>
>>81858173
No, but that's a great idea!
>>
>>81858223
Some might argue it violates the original spirit of 4chan though
>>
>>81852969
2-4 are the only acceptable answers. 1 it was establishing the characters and the story was way outdated given the time it was happening in. Seriously, that season was based on David Simon's experiences in 1988. The fifth season's plot went way crazy and was kind of dumb. Even the third season's hamsterdam thing was super unrealistic. People always say The Wire is super realistic, but half the show would never happen.
>>
>>81858295
>MUH LEEJUN
Fuck them.

>>81858459
My faves are 1, 4, and 5.
>>
>>81858459
>People always say The Wire is super realistic, but half the show would never happen.
And yet, in this country we have police car chases that look like some Hollywood movie...
>>
>>81858578
"Never forgive, never forget" shittery isn't all old 4chan was about. Anonymous posting has an inherent lack of consequences to it. A guy can get totally trashed in an argument and just move on.
Without it, this place would be a lot worse. Imagine you get into a thread about a subject you want to discuss and lose an argument or have a weird typo or accidentally sperg out or do something that makes the rest of the thread shit om you. With anonymity, you can just move on and continue discussing in the thread. With the system suggested above, you'd get nothing but
>poster 12
>still trying to be taken seriously
>>
>>81858953
And nothing of value would be lost.
>>
>>81859020
I mean, this is just dumb internet arguments we're talking about, but I think it'd be annoying. Especially when mods are actively trying to keep a subject down to one thread.
>>
>>81859020
If you hate anonymity so much then you're welcome to move to reddit.
>>
>>81858953
Stuff like this has improved /b/ and /pol/

/tv/ needs it too since that's just samefagging: the board.
>>
>>81860119
And /co/ too, at least when they release a new cape movie.
>>
>>81860119
Turd polishing desu
>>
>>81850839
Moreso than Breaking Bad?
>>
>>81860442
I dropped that show after season 2. I liked the main character but the rest? Boring.
>>
>>81860119
Too bad it's back to anon posting on /b/. So much for that.
>>
>>81860696
>posting on /b/
>in this decade
>>
>>81851151
Dunno anon. The wire seems to start having few problems around the last seasons. The show is excellent but in some parts got a little weaker.
Unlike the sopranos, and each season got better and better, until they peak on with the spiritual, controversial and important season 6B
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.