[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Avatar/ATLA: Smoke and Shadow part 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79
File: Kci8shA.jpg (1001 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
Kci8shA.jpg
1001 KB, 3300x2550
Someone posted the scans yesterday, why no thread?

http://imgur.com/a/hho7x

Azula taunting Zuko continues to be the best thing
>>
File: h3MzBuZ.jpg (1018 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
h3MzBuZ.jpg
1018 KB, 3300x2550
Is he smiling at her? Aw
>>
>>80836881
>why no thread?
Because it's not officially released, Dark Horse fucked up and delivered it to some people by mistake.
Also, /co/ doesn't get excited until the digital scans are storytimed
>>
>>80836966
ah. I guess I'll let this die then
>>
>>80836881
>Kiyi melting the fucking metal door out of nowhere
BULLSHIT! Who the fuck is writing this crap?
>>
>>80837210
Is that even a thing firebenders can do? I can't remember; have we seen firebenders melt metal before?
>>
>>80837264
Nope. Never.
>>
File: WXxwHeO.jpg (1007 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
WXxwHeO.jpg
1007 KB, 3300x2550
This was pretty bullshit too
>hurr I'm locked up but I'm going to mouth off like I can do something like a raging idiot
>just so I can look nice and pathetic as she walks away

What happened to his calm but menacing demeanor
>>
>>80836881
Azula, no. That's a fucking dumb plan. Please just get rid of this irredeemable asshole already.
>>
>>80837361
At least Ozai was there for his kids unlike this woman.
>>
>>80836881

It was me, Zuko! It was me all along!
>>
>>80837210
>BULLSHIT!
It's in her genes.
>>
>>80837561
She doesn't even have genes from the side of the family with all the talent and good looks.
>>
>>80837410
The thirst is real.

And Legoman pictures can fit canon.
>>
File: 3WAo0kp.jpg (1018 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
3WAo0kp.jpg
1018 KB, 3300x2550
I don't care about kei lo and I'm glad he's going away now, but wow, nice way to give literally no explanation for this when things seemed fine between them just pages before
>>
>>80837952
Mai could've fucked off with him for all I care.
>>
>>80837952
>my home planet needs me
>>
>>80836881
>Zuko is still an useless jobber
>he is also now a terrible fire lord and a cuck
>>
>>80837952
So, who was Azula's new team?
>>
>>80836881
>>80836907
God damn this Azula is shittily written.
>>
>>80836881

>People thought that wasn't Azula

Seriously? Good job making her OP again, writer.
>>
File: kyKVb8y.jpg (320 KB, 1176x560) Image search: [Google]
kyKVb8y.jpg
320 KB, 1176x560
>>80838139
Everything in this comic is shittily written
The only redeeming thing about it is the art
>>
>>80838181
It really seemed like they were trying to do a simple mislead, what with keeping them all masked and mysterious but having the characters themselves go "It's Azula! It's definitely Azula!!". When that sort of thing happens there's usually supposed to be a surprise.
But no, it was... exactly what you first thought
>>
>>80838139
How so?
>>
>>80838370
This whole retarded plan. The off screen revelation that led her to this retarded plan. I don't buy any of it.
>>
>>80838075
Uchiha clones.
>>
>>80838183
Ha!
>>
>>80836881
I'd like to see Azula have a story where she's the focus, not her brother. What does she want? Where does she see herself in twenty years? This seems like a regression back to book three family drama.

Basically I'm tired of every fire nation story being about Zuko's bullshit.
>>
File: Azula108.jpg (66 KB, 468x505) Image search: [Google]
Azula108.jpg
66 KB, 468x505
>>80838075
Teen Girl Squad of of escaped mental patients.

>>80838183
Everything that isn't Azula's expressions in this comic has been garbage, especially the Zuko-Mai-Some Dude love triangle.
>>
File: Zucest04.jpg (146 KB, 941x791) Image search: [Google]
Zucest04.jpg
146 KB, 941x791
>>80836907
Zuko, this is not the time to hit on your sister. Learn to read the mood.
>>
>>80838183
true; i don't know why but that last part was just... what the fuck. Aang lifting a fucking bed with little effort, Kiyi melting an iron door, Azula and Zuko fighting with "fire swords".. And azula's plan doesn't really make sense.
>>
>>80836881
>>80836907
>>80837952
>>80838183
>Azula now full yandere for Zuko

Lets be honest here, this is the best ending she could have gotten
>>
Sounds like it had a disappointing conclusion.
>>
>>80839085
So your average Avatar story
>>
But did Mai and Zuko get back together?
>>
>>80838949
>this is the best ending she could have gotten
>not killing Zuko, the avatar and friends, then taking power of the fire nation and defeating the other nations.
>>
>>80839254
LoK already happened so all that's off the table.
>>
File: tumblr_nzglyxwE0J1uxaonxo1_250.jpg (123 KB, 250x384) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzglyxwE0J1uxaonxo1_250.jpg
123 KB, 250x384
For upcoming stuff:

The will be a Korra comic releasded on FCBD. It will be about how Korra met Naga and is being drawn by Heather Campbell (the artist for the TF2 comics).

After that the next ATLA comic arc is called "North and South" and will be about the Gaang returing to the water tribes. Part 1 of that comes out in september.

As for the Korra comics, that's still starting later this year, but apparently they had to replace the artist for it since the original had to back out because of family issues.
>>
>>80837615
She's descended from Roku, broham.
>>
>>80839220
No, but Mai's boyfriend broke up with her and fucked off.
>>
>>80839368
You mean the guy that was getting his ass beat by Sozin until his avatar hax kicked in?
>>
>>80839407
Nigga what? He only went AS to demolish the palace, after making Sozin his bitch.
>>
>>80839374
Well that's not what I expected.
>>
>>80839287
>because of family issues.
Let's be honest, she read the script and had to back out. She's still doing Hellcat and that other comic.
>>
>>80839707
LoK is dead if they can't put out a comic better than Hellcat.
>>
>>80839407
Watch the first half again when Roku demolishes his teachers in the montage.
The Avatar Eugenics program has merit. Or had at least.
>>
>>80839283
i'm talking After she gets the powers to rewrite history itself.
>>
Personally I'm willing to read shitty scans. Could someone please upload it?
>>
>thought this would be the end of what the "what happened to azula" arc
>it's still not resolved
i really think they're going to kill her off at some point. and i guess this means north and south aren't going to be the last comics.
>>
>>80840271
it's in the OP
>>
Haha, wow, that was fucking awful.
>>
File: 1380574388714.jpg (47 KB, 277x277) Image search: [Google]
1380574388714.jpg
47 KB, 277x277
Good Lord...
I'm actually a pretty big fan of the ATLA comics but this was dire.
Everything got wrapped up nicely but nothing actually happened.
>Why are the Kemurikage following Azula?
Because
>How did Azula get better?
Because
>Why did Mai and Kei Lo break up?
Because
>Why does Kiyi know accept Ursa as her Mother?
Because

Also, the dialog was particularly bad. The pages between the initial kidnapping and Ty Lee discovering the secret passage are disgustingly overloaded with exposition. Azula just seems flat out ridiculous at times, lazily regurgitating lines from the cartoon, and that final scene between Ozai and Ursa is so rushed that it gives no satisfaction to what should have been an significant meeting of characters.
I mean, regardless of what you think about Yang, the one thing you could say about him was that he could right a good Ozai. He was the standout character in the Promise, where his blatantly over the top acts of evil had a certain degree of finesse and humanity about them. Now he's just a 2-dimensional shouting bully, how did Yang fuck that up?

At least Gurihiru are still on top form, you can tell they had a blast drawing Azula and it was nice having Suki and Ty Lee around (even if they finished half way through this issue). I'm still looking forward to North & South because Sokka and Katara are still great and there'll (hopefully) be no overblown Fire Nation Royal Family drama.
>>
They just let her conveniently slip away again?!
Zuko is the worst fucking Fire Lord.
>>
>>80837361
Now we just need Azula to have a reunion with him. I'd look forward to it but you know they'd fuck that up too.
>>
>>80841006
they're really trying to drag this azula thing out, i have no idea where they're going with it.
>>
File: 1376004644524.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1376004644524.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>80836881
>Azula taunting Zuko continues to be the best thing
This counts as good dialogue to you?
>>
>>80841146
They don't either.
>>
>>80841261
Best thing of a bad book doesn't mean its 'good', just the best of the worst.
>>
>>80841261
It was the most entertaining part. I like their twisted relationship.
>>
>nothing was resolved
>almost guarantees the next arc after north and south will be about the fire nation royal family again
Are they THAT popular? How many times are we going to have to be told Zuko's early reign is a rocky one and he still has family issues?
>>
>>80841371
Until they get a new or more writers on the comic books. Yang is a bit of a one trick pony with clear favourite characters, and he doesn't even write particularly good drama/melodrama.

What I'd give to have a proper action writer on the Avatar books, instead of Mr Gene 'Safe and Sanitized' Yang.
>>
>>80837487
I want to pretend that that series never happened.
Ursa went off to live with a peasant somewhere on the colonies and started a new life.
>>
>>80841440
>Until they get a new or more writers on the comic books.
So never then? Because it looks like as long as the comics sell they're going to keep making them.
>>
>>80841493
>Because it looks like as long as the comics sell they're going to keep making them.
You'd think they'd realize the potential for an Avatar comic-verse with multiple creative teams would be a good idea, ala Star Wars, Buffy, all the other Dark Horse (and formerly DH) franchises.
>>
>>80841440
I agree. Yang's dialogue has never fit the characters. It seems like every other speech bubble Sokka is adding -y to the end of a word.
>>
>>80841479
>Ursa went off to live with a peasant somewhere on the colonies and started a new life.
I'm pretty sure that was the original plan since Zuko was going to find Ursa in the series finale (instead of him confronting Ozai in his cell he'd just find her). But then they had to stretch that into three comics and explain why Ursa hadn't just come back on her own once she would have heard that Zuko is Fire Lord.
>>
>>80841547
And for some reason Toph talks like a pirate now. I'd almost pay to see how he'd handle the LOK comics.
>>
>>80841558
>and explain why Ursa hadn't just come back on her own once she would have heard that Zuko is Fire Lord.
I don't see why they couldn't ave done that. You could have done something interesting there, with Ursa apprehensively returning to meet her son and face the train wreck she left behind. Not everything needs to be a grand operatic quest (which we didn't get anyway).
>>
>>80839374
Good. She didn't deserve him at all. Now Zuko just has to cuck her with Suki and all will be perfect
>>
>>80841719
No, Zuko has to cuck Mai with Kei Lo. for ultimate revenge.
>>
>>80841760
Why not both?
>>
>>80841371
>Are they THAT popular?
Toph and Zuko are by far the most popular characters of the franchise
>>
>>80836881
Is this missing some pages?

The ending feels very incomplete and anticlimatic, it didn't resolve shit.
>>
File: CEYbzjq.jpg (122 KB, 453x504) Image search: [Google]
CEYbzjq.jpg
122 KB, 453x504
>>80838515
> Azula's expressions
Well, you're right, in a sense
>>
>>80841808
Yeah but do we need basically three comics about Zuko and his dramatic family? Doesn't anything else ever happen to the guy? At this point I'd take a comic about him and Mai getting back together as long as nobody from his family shows up.
>>
>>80841842
>Is this missing some pages?
I fucking wish.
>>
>>80841842
>Is this missing some pages?
Yes

>The ending feels very incomplete and anticlimatic, it didn't resolve shit.
Also true.
>>
>>80841890
>Yes
Is that why Suki and Ty Lee disappear half way through?

I thought it was weird that Zuko just brushed off Mai letting her father (the guy that's been trying to kill him) go and essentially being directly responsible for all the awful shit that happened to his family as a result.
>>
>>80841653
I like the fact that Zuko finds out he has another sister, a half-sister who looks up to him and isn't a psycho. It's a fantastic parallel to his relationship with Azula and it's not explored anywhere near enough.
>>
>>80841371
I think part of the issue is that nobody else has anything substantial going on in their lives. And to be honest, it kind of should be that way, the Avatar world is in a fresh peace after 100 years of warfare, our heroes should be able to put their feet up for a while. I'm all for revisiting that period for the odd, inconsequential adventure, The Rift was tons of fun and I hope North & South is in a similar vein, but trying to create a drawn out plot hasn't really worked, seeing as all the potential antagonists have been dealt with, bar Azula, so she has to keep disappearing and reappearing, as per convenience to the plot.
It seems a bit cliched but honestly, the scenario would benefit from aging the characters up a bit. Progress the world some, allow time for new antagonists pop-up in response to changes in the world and give the MCs positions and responsibilities they're adapting to and struggle with, because seriously, what the fuck are Aang, Katara and Sokka doing other than travelling around willy-nilly?
Nothing's really at stake for them just after the war, they don't have any story going on. As a result, there's nothing to really get invested in regarding those characters, so everything falls on Zuko's shoulders, who was stakes and responsibilities, which is why there's so much emphasis on Fire Nation stuff, which is why the Fire Nation plot can never end, because there's nothing else to fall back on, so it has to give the illusion of progress whilst never actually going anywhere.

>>80841479
>Ursa went off to live with a peasant somewhere on the colonies and started a new life.
Isn't that essentially what she did.
>>
>>80841947
Kiyi's great. The resolution to the sub-plot with her and Ursa made no sense but everything else about Kiyi is a joy.
>>
>>80841951
>we're going to get 70 years worth of fire nation plot until they catch up with lok
>>
>>80841947
You could still have Kiyi in a different scenario though. Ursa is a woman with needs. Her finding a new man that she actually loves and having a child is hardly far fetched.

Her having a childhood romance that the dastardly Ozai thwarted, forcing her to commune with spirits to hide from him and protect her one true love is a little far fetched though.
>>
>>80841951
It's a shame Legend of Korra already showed what came from Aang's attempts to revive the Air Nomads. That could have been a potentially interesting story.
>>
>>80841872
Well, Zuko's mom and Azula's fate were the biggest loose ends after the series ended.

Also, since LoK already told us that Aang starts an airboo cult and fails miserably in repopulating the airbenders, there is very little to do with him other than spirit shit.
>>
>>80841951
>Isn't that essentially what she did.
That's ALL she should've done.
She should've run away and been too ashamed to have returned
Not fucked around with Spirits and willingly forgotten her children so she could start anew.

I just realized this in reading that comic - there's a bit where Ursa asks Iroh "How did you get over your son's death" and he says "As a parent, I'm never over it." Ursa, in forgetting her children, became a bad parent, a non-parent, because she wanted to get over the pain more than she wanted to be Zuko's mother, and that's the worst arc you can give Zuko's mother, who killed the previous Firelord to keep Zuko safe (another part I want to ignore - have her personally poison the Firelord as well, instead of passing off the poison to Ozai. goddammit, thinking about how mediocre the comics and LoK have been are only making me madder).
>>
>>80842031
They were already in kind of a tight spot when the Promise skipped 12 month in the first couple of pages.
If Ursa was conscious of her past in that scenario, you'd have to make account of why she didn't do anything in that first year of Zuko's reign.
>>
>>80842116
>>80842102
Zuko's mum should have been the very first comic book arc. It was the main thing fans were looking for out of the comics.
>>
>>80842095
It's probably too heavy of an issue for a comic aimed at kids. I know there was the whole thing about Zuko's parentage during The Search but I think that's a slightly different ballpark from a man who is the last of his kind is in a monogamous relationship that isn't producing more airbenders.
>>
File: 33.png (745 KB, 547x820) Image search: [Google]
33.png
745 KB, 547x820
>>80842005
She also has patrician taste in ships
>>
Why don't they just fuck already? Seriously it wouldn't be that out of place to have Azula X Zuko. They gave us Korrasami, why not Firecest?
>>
I want Azula to have a Disney villain song or something like that.
>>
>>80842116
The other anon already mentioned it - she's ashamed that she abandoned Zuko. She'll hear about his exile and think "oh no, I didn't save him from Ozai's wrath, I've failed after all!" And want to retreat farther into her new life with her new family. The resolution is Zuko finding her and unquestioningly forgiving her, as Iroh did to him.
>>
>>80841939
Oh, I thought you just meant in this thread, where the scene between Zuko and Azula is presented both out of order and missing pages.
>>
>>80842178
A patrician wouldn't be interested in ship at the bottom of the lake.
>>
>>80842163
Yeah I think switching the first two comics would have been better, but they apparently went into making the comics with the idea that they would roughly parallel LOK's books. Seems to not be the case now since Smoke and Shadows has fuck all to do with Book 4.
>>
>>80842174
>It's probably too heavy of an issue for a comic aimed at kids.
Considering the show had legit genocide in it, I don't think it is. The problem is mostly they decided bending would be a genetic disposition instead of a spiritual one. Theoretically anyone raised in the Air Nomad culture should potentially be able to air bend, if we go by the spiritual idea of bending rather than the genetic, X-Men version that seems to be the rule now.
>>
>>80842247
They wanted the first trilogy to be "the Avatar reunion show", starting off with Zuko's mom would have shifted the focus of the story to Zuko and Azula and left Aang as just a supporting character in the first comic book trilogy.
>>
>>80842272
Seriously, there's no reason Aang couldn't adopt a whole bunch of war orphans and raise them in the tradition of the Nomads.
>>
>>80842174
I wonder if kids actually buy these comics? Everybody who got in to ATLA as a kid is an adult now. Why would kids care about this?
>>
>>80842203
She's completely over the top and I don't like it.
I think villains like that can totally work but after seeing Azula broken down in the Search and all the speculation and build up her return had over the past 3 years, just to see her right back at square one with no real explanation is pretty crap.
This entire issue was rushed to hell. Why does Yang try to cram everything into the third issue?
>>
File: Azula83.jpg (86 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
Azula83.jpg
86 KB, 786x1017
>>80842203
>>
>>80842095
>It's a shame Legend of Korra already showed what came from Aang's attempts to revive the Air Nomads.
Was he supposed to have told Katara "I must get every woman pregnant and hope for airbending, including you. But you'll always be my forever girl" and then we jump to LoK where airbending is back?

>>80842102
Spirit stuff is the Avatar thing to do so long as they are the only ones spirits can easily communicate with and they are actually on duty and not being reincarnated or living a regular life not knowing they are the Avatar.
>>
>>80842272
It's a genocide that we as the viewer also never got to saw and was glazed over a lot of the time. Also violence tends to fly better with audiences than sex.

They could do a comic about it but it'll probably be a very PG safe "Aang is worried because he only has one airbending child" and not "Aang starts to finally realize he needs someone to pass Air Nomad culture onto while Katara feels guilty she couldn't give him more airbending kids, while Kya and Bumi are locked in a box and forgotten somewhere".
>>
>>80842363
>I wonder if kids actually buy these comics?
Kids don't. Late teens - early twenties who like kiddie stuff do. See all the college aged people who go nuts over stuff like Hellcat and Squirrel Girl.

The main demographic for 'kids stuff' in comics is college/university students.
>>
>>80842404
>Also violence tends to fly better with audiences than sex.
>I must get every woman pregnant and hope for airbending, including you.

But you don't need sex if you go with the idea that bending is a spiritual disposition and not some mutant fuckery.
>>
>>80842363
I seriously doubt that anyone would be interested other than the dying fanbase.
>>
>>80842363
I had a friend who worked in a book store and he said the comics were seemingly popular with a variety of people. I wouldn't be surprised if the core demographic is adults who watched ATLA when it was first airing, though.

I don't see kids buying the LOK comics, though.
>>
>>80842464
>But you don't need sex if you go with the idea that bending is a spiritual disposition
But it's not and it's already canon that no other airbenders besides Tenzin and his family pop up until after Harmonic Convergence.
>>
File: bait.webm (3 MB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
3 MB, 640x368
>>80839752
>>
>>80842464
It was a combination of the two and "Avatar universe mumbo jumbo" otherwise Katara wouldn't have waterbending in the first place, Guru Pathik who helped Aang would have airbending, and Sokka would have awakened his waterbending through his travels since Azula was also practical therefore being practical isn't regulated to just nonbenders.
>>
>>80842579
>and Sokka would have awakened his waterbending through his travels
IIrc Bryke said that Sokka could have been a bender if he'd cared enough to learn.

The Azula thing I always took as just being a different kind of spiritual alignment being conductive to particular elements. I think they were even going with the idea that anyone could learn any bending if they could see that through the end of season two with the Swamp Tribe and Guru Pathik (the divide of the four nations is artificial, likewise the divide between the elements is artificial).

Korra fucked up a lot of things, primarily the spirituality of bending.
>>
>>80842560
holy fuck that poor gator
it's just like "oh...foot gone"
>>
>>80842579
The simplest explanation is that Spirituality governs the ability to bend, genetics determines the type of bending.
>>
>>80842643
The line about Sokka being able to bend or whatever is from years ago and was probably moot by the time ATLA ended, never mind what happened in Korra. I think people need to stop clinging to it as proof of something.
>>
>>80842660
The simplest explanation is that its a magic system that they never thought through fully.

Very little about bending has much consistency to it.
>>
>>80842643
>IIrc Bryke said that Sokka could have been a bender if he'd cared enough to learn.

That would mean that anyone in the SWT could waterbend if they just tried.
>>
>>80842643
>spiritual alignment being conductive to particular elements
That's always been incredibly vague. Virtually any personally trait can align to any element if you use the right imagery.

>>80842701
Some people can bend, others can't. Spirituality is the reason why but the word doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>80842703
Yeah that sort of logic didn't hold up even when ATLA was airing.

>>80842701
This. I don't hate Bryke or think they're hacks because I think this is something that happens to a lot of people whose ideas unexpectedly take off and become super popular. Like JKR thought up Harry Potter while she was dirt poor and on a train and people want to know how magic impacted the Atlantic slave trade or whatever.
>>
>>80842655
I like that brief moment before he reacts.

"hey... The FUCK?!"
>>
>>80842643
>Korra fucked up a lot of things, primarily the spirituality of bending.

>(the divide of the four nations is artificial, likewise the divide between the elements is artificial).

It's all artificial.
>>
>>80842560
>What the fuck dude?
>>
>>80841760
I can get behind this.
>>
>>80838183
>>80838139
Eh, it's about the same for a villain we don't often see. Besides, the book is clearly a set up for the next few books. These are more like episodes than they are seasons.
>>
>>80842701
The answer is genetic lottery but bryke just claim it's spirituality or some bullshit like that so it isn't midichlorians-y
>>
>>80842816
Just leaving it as spirituality is fine by me. It essentially works as genetics anyhow, strong benders generally give birth to strong benders.
>>
>>80842811
Episodes that come out once every 2 years, assuming they carry on with this alternating Fire Nation, not Fire Nation, Fire Nation, not Fire Nation pattern
>>
>>80842703
Not really. Some people are naturals and most people don't have time for that shit. Even Toph said that her criteria for metalbending was emotional distress.

I suppose the real question is how do mixed families work? In a few generations can people bend all of the elements? Where does chi bending come into this?
>>
>>80842934
Hey, I wish they'd make them faster too, but that's not meant to be apparently.

My only thing is that we're supposed to accept Zuko and Aang are the best of friends, and I do, but it wish I could see them having a good time a bit more. Friend stuff.
>>
>>80842943
Do you mean energybending? I think it's only something the Avatar can do because of the amount of power it takes.
>>
>>80842994
Zuko and Toph haven't directly interacted once throughout the entire comic series.
>>
>>80838910

Kiyi is clearly a prodigy to due Ursa's genes, like Azula was.

Also, best new character.
>>
>>80843034
>>80842994
Really, the only believable relationships in team Avatar are between Katara/Aang and Katara/Sokka
>>
>>80838910
>Aang lifting a fucking bed with little effort
He was airbending

>Kiyi melting an iron door
Roku genes

>Azula and Zuko fighting with "fire swords"
They were used in ATLA, see the fight in the Ba Sing Se catacombs

>And azula's plan doesn't really make sense.
That much is true...
>>
That...ended abruptly and answered almost nothing.

In fact, now I just have more questions.
>>
>>80843061
What about Sokka/meat?
>>
>>80842994
>My only thing is that we're supposed to accept Zuko and Aang are the best of friends, and I do, but it wish I could see them having a good time a bit more. Friend stuff.

They went the Naruto route and just made them the reincarnations of homosexual lovers even though they hardly see each other.
>>
Well, Azula's no longer crazy, but she's still not well. She's got a long way to go for a redemption arc.

I mean, you don't just fix something like that in a few months, but skipping forward would be nice.

But goddamn, the pacing of this was so fucking terrible.
>>
If your plan is to carefully manipulate Zuko into becoming a ruthless despot by creating difficult political circumstances for him to deal with, perhaps you shouldn't give the game away be telling Zuko that you're planning to carefully manipulate him into becoming a ruthless despot by creating difficult political circumstances for him to deal with.

>>80843127
OTP
I guess Sokka and Zuko had a few good moments in the Search as well, that goes true for Aang and Zuko in the Promise, but those seem so long ago. It's odd that Katara maintains the most realistic relationships despite hardly having done anything in the comics.
>>
>>80842994
Zuko did have some good moments with Aang in The Search, the problem is that in the comics usually when Aang is around it happens to be when Zuzu is at his angstiest.

When he is at peace and not going through an inner turmoil he only gets to interact with Ursa or Suki.
>>
File: 3P71jm9.jpg (964 KB, 1515x1349) Image search: [Google]
3P71jm9.jpg
964 KB, 1515x1349
She's thinking about azula here right?
>>
>>80842116

Everything Ursa did just makes her look worse in hindsight.

There were a ton of possible plans that could have been made, but she went with LOL JUST FORGET THEM.

As the series proved, the Fire Nation is full of fucking security holes, and you don't need to be close to someone to poison them.
>>
>>80843276
Don't think so, she and Azula seem to legitimately be over each other.
>>
>>80841371

I like Fire Incest, so whatever fuels my thinking on that is fine by me.
>>
>>80843305
She's probably remembering how she used to maker her feel
>>
>>80837361

>I can stand up to my husband...as long as he's bound and locked, on his knees, and completely powerless by another person's hand.
>>
>>80843232
I had no illusions about Azula's story being resolved in one issue but I'm still annoyed at how cheap the set up was.

>>80843249
Suki's character is becoming stifled by being in the Fire Nation now. It was cool that they didn't forget about her and gave her a role after the finale but now she can't do anything other than hang around Zuko as he fucks everything up again.
Why the Hell they're taking Toph to the South Pole in the next series is beyond me. It'd be a great chance to give Suki some further development seeing as Sokka is finally getting some focus and she's close to him. Not to mention that Toph is fucking useless on ice and it's probably the last place on Earth she'd ever want to visit.
>>
File: SYNc91Y.jpg (744 KB, 1665x1234) Image search: [Google]
SYNc91Y.jpg
744 KB, 1665x1234
Nice bitchslap though. Not getting her with that gay chi chit again.
>>
File: Azula x Ty Lee44.png (578 KB, 720x547) Image search: [Google]
Azula x Ty Lee44.png
578 KB, 720x547
>>80843276
No, Yang is anti-Tyzula.
>>
>I'm already changing you! You've shown me how ruthless you can be!

How was Zuko ever ruthless? He used the proper amount of force for the circumstances and people didn't even die.
>>
>>80843371
>Toph is fucking useless on ice
There's earth underneath that ice. Their poles are not as cold as ours by the looks of things. And besides she has metal now so Sokka can tell her when and where to launch.
>>
>>80843276

Sorry, anon. That relationship is shattered. Ty Lee has been doing nothing but hammer home how much she dislikes and is afraid of Azula's wrath.
>>
>>80843371

>implying Suki/Zuko isn't end-game
>>
File: zutoph.png (148 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
zutoph.png
148 KB, 333x250
>>80843034
>Zuko and Toph haven't directly interacted once throughout the entire comic series.

What a shame it is.
>>
>>80843232
>redemption arc.
She's fucking nuts. Just because she's not hearing voices doesn't mean she's any better. She's gone full Reverse Flash and now she's trying to make Zuko the best Fire Lord he can be?

Great. He just found their mother.
>>
>>80843570

It'll be a long process, anon.
>>
>>80843371
How is Toph going to walk in the snow?
>>
>>80843593
If by "long" you mean "never happening" then yes.

Some people can't be saved Aang. You have to accept that and live with it.
>>
>>80839707

Source for this info?
>>
>>80843529
Doesn't change that I think she was thinking about Azula there. She was relating to Aang with her own experiences, and I don't think she's close enough friends with Zuko to have ever felt frustrated over him like Aang is. Azula however used to be her best friend and made her feel like that all the time.
>>
>>80843634

I will quietly enjoy you being wrong several years from today, anon.
>>
>>80843559
Showing Kei Lo returning to his home planet might has well been Zuko creapieing Mai.
>>
>>80843662
Why would you want it to happen?
>>
>>80843724

Why do I need a reason? Why are you giving me a test?
>>
>>80843654
>Doesn't change that I think

She could have been thinking about Mai. They were meeting and talking in earlier issues and the whole Mai's new boyfriend is getting on Mai's old boyfriend's nerves therefore interfering with his composure can lead to Ty Lee's words with Aang.
>>
File: 1391805840133.gif (754 KB, 388x264) Image search: [Google]
1391805840133.gif
754 KB, 388x264
So Kiyi thought that Ursa's hands were cold because Kiyi... needed to learn how to firebend (?) and that somehow mended the bond between her and her Mother (?!?!?)

Can somebody explain that subplot?
>>
>>80836881
Well, that was underwhelming.

At least there's plenty potential form to make silly lewd/incest edits.
And the next trilogy promises to be a goddamn gold mine.
>>
File: kyKVb8y.jpg (1012 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
kyKVb8y.jpg
1012 KB, 3300x2550
>>80843707
Some pages have to be missing. Mai spent the entire trilogy having a much more functional relationship with the guy than she ever did with Zuko and pic related is their last interaction before their break-up.
>>
>>80843868
I'd break up with the girl of my fantasies for making a pun so shitty.
>>
File: 1410115230336.png (167 KB, 496x358) Image search: [Google]
1410115230336.png
167 KB, 496x358
Also, can anybody confirm if young-Mai was chanting in Japanese in that flashback?
Because if so, fuck that shit.
>>
File: 1409693430164.png (537 KB, 1280x855) Image search: [Google]
1409693430164.png
537 KB, 1280x855
>>80843820
Sometimes melting metal is a surefire way to mend a relationship.

Sure would be nice if you could do this in LoK or in AtLA. Hell even with the comet the firebenders couldn't do that.
>>
>>80843868
>Don't worry about me!

He did not seem worried about Mai in these panels.
>>
>>80843797
What, is "doesn't change that I think" grammatically incorrect or something? I dunno.

And I just figure it's Azula she's thinking about because she just got done with fighting and getting slapped by her after not seeing her in a while, so her and all the exciting new ways she's a fucked up psycho is probably what's on her mind and bothering her. The mere thought of Azula being around stresses her out, like we saw in the tea shop with Mai, so fighting her probably has her "aura" all twisted up again.
>>
>>80838183
>>80843868
Azula is right, Zuko is being a pathetic cuck despite being politically the most powerful man in the world.

Also, is it me or is Azula looking better than ever in this comic?
>>
>>80844204
>is Azula looking better than ever in this comic?
dat Gurihiru magic, mane
>>
>>80836881
So did the Azula redemptioning not happen?
>>
>>80842560
>Oi, Dave, ya fackin cunt. Ya bit m'goddamn leg off.
>GULP Sorry, Mate.
>Yer a fackin twat, mate.
>>
>>80844263
She didn't look that good in The Search, I guess it helps that she no longer has the crazy face all the time.
>>
I've never tried to violently overthrow a government before, so I'm sure I don't know the ins and outs of everything but maybe it would have been a good idea for Ukano to ask Azula how her plan would reinstate Ozai at the start, rather than blindly following her, attacking the head of state and kidnapping a dozen children only to find out she never intended to reinstate Ozai at all.
I dunno, just food for thought
>>
>>80844543
He needed her more than she him.
>>
>>80844641
What for? All she did was rush his plans and get him and his comrades arrested. She wasn't part of his plans before and never did anything that even resembled furthering their aims.
>>
>>80843123
Azul wants to manipulate Zuko into becoming the ruthless Fire Lord she thinks he can be, with her acting as her councilor/mistress.

She wants to be the devil on his shoulder.

It is Zucest as fuck.
>>
>>80844723
>She wasn't part of his plans before

They failed.

>never did anything that even resembled furthering their aims

She did not have to. Her status was enough.
>>
>>80843241
But she also wants to directly advise him, hence why she lured him into that particular tomb.
>>
>>80844816
Confirmation that Zucest shippers should never write the story.
>>
>>80843868
Azula should have used Mai's boyfriend as a shield.
>>
>>80843305
>>80843386

Well, she's not pulling those thoughts out of thin air.
>>
>>80843057
>Kiyi is clearly a prodigy
what does that have to do with melting a fucking iron door?

>best new character.
she is just a prick
>>
>>80844204
>is Azula looking better than ever in this comic?

It coincides with her being at her strongest.
>>
>>80844204
How old is Azula now?
>>
>>80843108
>He was airbending
yeah, i can see that. To lift a fucking bed i doubt he can just use such a conventional way of airbending. I think that much strength would destroy the room.

>Roku genes
fucking melting an iron door, and we don't know how much 'genes' influence.

>They were used in ATLA
yeah, but there was no "contact". They used it lightsaber style.
>>
>>80843279
>There were a ton of possible plans that could have been made
for example?

>the Fire Nation is full of fucking security holes
if Ozai ever finds out, he would kill Zuko. It's not worth a try.
>>
>>80843249
>Suki
This is what really bothers me. How can those two such a great chemistry when he burned down her village.
In the meantime her actual boyfriend is nowhere to be seen. No wonder there are cucking jokes
>>
Who were the other Kerumikage "sisters"?
Did they join up because they idenitified with Azula's plan?
Did they do it because they "owed" her? Were they scared of her? WHy were they scared of her?

Why did Azula want to kidnap kids?
Was it to destabilize the country?
Was it to manipulate Ukano into thinking she wanted to create a new generation of Fire Nation kids who would live in accordance with Ukano's ideals?
Was it both?

Why did Azula have an epiphany that she was supposed to help Zuko turn into an evil Fire Lord when it's obvious he's innately good and that's the whole reason he didn't go along with Ozai's plans in the first place?

Why did Azula watch the speech at the end and not get angry that she'd clearly failed yet again? Is she so completely fucked in the head that she has no idea what's going on?

Why did the citizens get mad that police were searching their homes for evidence of treasonous acts and kidnappings when everyone knew that bad things were happening and the government were at a loss to find or explain any of it? It's known that the New Ozai Society operates in secret and inside the city, surely some investigation would be taking place just in case.

How does floating hand fire become dense enough to operate as a solid weapon?

Why did Kei Lo look uncomfortable when Mai hugged Zuko then this love triangle is never brought up again? Whyyyyy?

What exactly happened to Azula after The Search? Where did she go? What did she do? Did she have to use her own hair as tampons when she was in the forest for months?

Why did she identify with vengeful spirits when she doesn't actually want venegeance?
>>
File: taking the bait.webm (754 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
taking the bait.webm
754 KB, 360x360
>>80842560
>>
>>80845253
How did she get home faster than Zuko and Ursa did when Zuko was still on the boat taking them to the Fire Nation during the Rift, which took place a few days after the end of The Search?
In this time how did Azula discover the New Ozai Society, concoct her scheme, then rope Ukano into it, then enact it, all after ostensibly having spent time breaking people out of prisons and gathering allies?
Is she a time travelling fire lady?

Why did Ukano suddenly not want Ozai in power just because his kid was in a mangy dungeon for a few days, looked after and cared for?
Did he not know that under Sozin and Ozai's rule many people spent their entire lives in mangy dungeons simply for being waterbenders or dissidents?

Why did Zuko in his speech start talking about fear in mirror of his uncle's conversation with Ursa?
Did he have a conversation with Iroh after the fact?
Did he overhear it?
Was the speech to show how he's becoming wise like his uncle?
Did the writer of this comic not see how utterly without wisdom Zuko is in Korra, which takes place in the future?

Why did Kiyi suddenly see Ursa as her mommy?
>>
>>80845403
>Did he not know that under Sozin and Ozai's rule many people spent their entire lives in mangy dungeons simply for being waterbenders or dissidents?

Yeah, but why should have cared about them?
>>
>>80844816

Pretty much.
>>
File: whytho.jpg (433 KB, 1201x1072) Image search: [Google]
whytho.jpg
433 KB, 1201x1072
>>80844816

Finally happening.
>>
File: 0PeGwHr.jpg (3 MB, 3508x2552) Image search: [Google]
0PeGwHr.jpg
3 MB, 3508x2552
>>80845253
>Who were the other Kerumikage "sisters"?

Asylum inmates
>>
>>80845598
Nice Tumblr nose
>>
>>80845598
>>80845592
why is it that Azula have the best expressions?
>>
>>80845439
Consider that Mai and Ty Lee were arrested and placed in a dungeon when they betrayed Azula. Yet here we are with Ukano sobbing about dungeons being bad places.
>>
>>80845651
Insanity
>>
>>80844816
All I could think about when she was on top of his and said "WHY DOES THIS FEEL SO FAMILIAR" was Zucest.
>>
>>80844816
MAKE THE FIRE NATION GREAT AGAIN!

Too bad Zuko's daughter is literally Merkel
>>
>>80845662
Mai was a traitor.
>>
I want Zuko and Azula to do the dancing dragon
>>
>>80845726
I wonder why Tom Tom's endungeonment was the straw that broke the camel's back but Mai's was overlooked.

Poor writing, I suspect.
>>
>>80845815
Tom Tom was innocent, Mai was not.
>>
>>80845732
It's not entirely unrealistic anymore. With the way the story is now it's way easier to do a "redemption" arc than before.
>>
>>80845592

>making siblings play the Dragon Emperor and Dark Water Spirit

>they have a romance scene

Why would you make your kids do this?
>>
>>80845841
I'm going to err on the side of poor writing.
>>
>>80845906
Nobody made them. Zuko and Azula wanted each other.
>>
>>80845030

15 if she's still not 14.
>>
>>80845906
Keeping the bloodline pure. Azulon got the Avatar genes into the royal family and he'd be damned if they would be wasted on lesser nobles!
>>
>>80838183
could someone tells me why Azula always seems to have a bit sexual and seductive attitude when she is with zuko both in the show and comics ? she act like she is the older sister and want to seduce him in sexual way.
Is there a incest undertone in her character ?
>>
This issue made all the other books retroactively worse.
>>
>>80845906

Clearly continuing the whole eugenics project.
>>
>>80845906

They didn't make them do it.

They just got hype for it and re-enacted it on the beach afterward. Read the page again.

I actually like that bit, as it shows that they did occasionally have times when Azula wasn't antagonizing him.
>>
>>80846241
Azula did always want something from Zuko, either his role or him.

Maybe the play was to blame >>80846515
>>
>>80846241

Azula likes to unnerve people. She knows she can't make Zuko fear her, so she gets to him in more subtle ways.
>>
>>80845732
Zuko only dances with Aang
>>
>>80836881
So Azula's character went the following developments:
-Introduced as the Evil Princess of an Imperialistic Nation
-turned into a Crazy bitch sister with mommy issues
-and now Dark Lord of the Sith

Creepy, but I like that.
Also, the fact she doesn't give a shit about Ozai is comedy gold.
>>
>>80846935
He ended up lower than Zuko.
>>
>>80846935
She kidnapped children, started riots, got the entire anti-Zuko society locked in prison, broke a bunch of mentally insane chicks out of the nuthouse and disguised herself as the coolest guy just to fuck with Zuko.

She is still crazy.
>>
>>80846935
>-and now Dark Lord of the Sith who's gone full yandere for her brother

FTFY
>>
File: scenekids.jpg (206 KB, 1280x1050) Image search: [Google]
scenekids.jpg
206 KB, 1280x1050
Zucest will of course rightfully never happen, but the fact that we're closer to it than ever makes me happy.
>>
>>80846935
Eventually Azula will realize Zuzu won't turn to the dark side, then she will set her eyes on another target: her young sister.

Azula will corrupt her and then Kiyi Ren will be born.
>>
>>80836881
Azula looks weirdly like Season 3 Suki in that last panel.
>>
>>80836881
>http://imgur.com/a/hho7x

So... after everything that's happened, Azula learns absolutely nothing and decides to devote all her time to making up complex schemes for the express purpose of dicking Zuko around?

I knew I was going to be disappointed with this shit, but... come on, man. Even being crazy this seems like an inordinate misuse of her time and talent.
>>
>>80847380
Can't they just wrap up the Zuko/Azula shit? it will be 2018 by the time the next Fire Nation comic book trilogy finishes. The fanbase will be long dead by then.
>>
>>80847490
Now everytime I think of Azula and Zuko I have to think of GOB and Michael Bluth.
>>
>>80847490
She should just rape Zuko and be done with it
>>
>>80847528
At this point it is already wrapped up.
It is not a coincidence Azula and Zuko's fight happened in the first Fire Lord's most trusted adviser. That is probably her fate referenced in The Search.
Also, I think we are at least done with Ozai's character and the New Ozai Society.
>>
>>80847558
Wait, is Azula GOB or Michael?
>>
>>80845726
Mai was always a traitor.
What makes Zuko think she wouldn't betray him when she already betrayed Azula?
>>
>>80847807
Mai did betray Zuko. She released her father after he just failed to kill Zuko.
>>
>>80847652
Well GOB goes out of his way to be the dick. So yeah.
>>
File: rwmhftxET1r1b528o1_1280.jpg (185 KB, 577x1280) Image search: [Google]
rwmhftxET1r1b528o1_1280.jpg
185 KB, 577x1280
>>80847594
>Also, I think we are at least done with Ozai's character and the New Ozai Society.

That was really anticlimatic. Mai's dad abandons his goal of overthrowing Zuko because Azula bullied him too much and Ozai just shows up for two pages to insult his wife and doesn't even ask for a conjugal visit

>>80847652
She is more of a George Michael
>>
>>80847838
Yes. Nice to see you agree with my post.
>>
>>80848109

God, Azula is so much hotter without makeup. That, and the more relaxed hairstyle really works for her.

She should really give up all this Evil Plan bullshit and just start an Island of Hot Bitches somewhere.
>>
>>80847652
Azula just pulled off an overcomplicated magic trick simply to fuck with Zuko, who do you think?
>>
>>80848352
>trick
Illusion.

Tricks are what water benders do for money.
>>
>>80847112
i was hoping for a scene of Azula killing all of those children, like a sith would.
>>
>Smoke and Shadow aka Azula's Convoluted Workarounds to Getting Zuko Inside Her.
>>
File: 1457494945626.gif (109 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
1457494945626.gif
109 KB, 209x193
>Azula is now Zoom
>>
File: 1457336442979.png (740 KB, 718x886) Image search: [Google]
1457336442979.png
740 KB, 718x886
>>80836881

Dayum son, Azula be lookin' hella fine this issue
>>
>>80849966
And she still couldn't get Zuzu to fuck her in the grave
>>
>>80839287
>As for the Korra comics, that's still starting later this year, but apparently they had to replace the artist for it since the original had to back out because of family issues.
I hadnt seen anything on that
>>
>>80845651
Because everyone else in this comic is boring as fuck.
>>
>>80846241
Grey Griffin said outright she attempted to come off sexual and seductive in that scene. It seems like she felt Azula was simply out there enough to do well...anything at any time.

Azula has deep issues and because of those she doesn't really care about a lot of things the rest of us might. She's more free in some ways but completely trapped in others due to her mind.
>>
File: it was me, pepe.png (165 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
it was me, pepe.png
165 KB, 600x600
Pros:

Azula is not after the throne anymore, which I worried would be her motivation, at least she seems to be growing as a character. This idea of her being instead this kind of weird mischievous puppet master who sees herself as the adviser to Zuko that Zuko may not want but most desperately needs has potential and seemed to have been set up earlier in the comics with Zuko seeking Ozai's advice.

Cons:

This really did feel like a series that desperately needed a longer treatment for the story it was trying to tell. The confrontation between Ozai and Ursa felt shoehorned. And Iroh's talking with Ursa felt more like something TLOK-Iroh would say than ATLA-Iroh. And while I think Yang had Mai down pretty well at first and I think the trajectory of her development makes sense, he clearly needed to go back and study a bit how Cricket Leigh played the character in the show. Even if the essence of her dialogue makes sense in this context or at this point in her character arc, Yang has Mai speaking like some proper noble woman rather than some morose goth chick (I feel like Mai should have been calling Ukano "Dad" not a more formal "Father" for example) and at times she comes across as too melodramatic (though I think this is may also be very much Gurihiru's doing). I also feel like Yang wasted a really good opportunity with Mai's not telling Zuko about her father's involvement in the N.O.S. by not having Zuko be more furious. Ultimately, this whole thing lacks a genuine, tension-filled climax and feels like it ends before it even begins. Zuko may have had a lapse in being a merciful and kind ruler, which he readily apologized for, but there's no real punch where we see Zuko really fuck something up because of Azula's machinations. It feels like the story is just teasing us and acting as a brief showcase of the new Azula.
>>
File: CEYbzjq.jpg (463 KB, 1441x817) Image search: [Google]
CEYbzjq.jpg
463 KB, 1441x817
As retarded as everything else was, Azula was awesome in this issue
>>
>>80852435
How did Zuko make Azula completely forget about her daddy and mommy issues?
>>
File: lPlsxb7.jpg (649 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
lPlsxb7.jpg
649 KB, 1600x1068
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.