[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://nerdist.com/deadpools-succes s-is-about-truth-in-char
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8
File: DeadpoolOpEd_FEAT-969x545.jpg (138 KB, 969x545) Image search: [Google]
DeadpoolOpEd_FEAT-969x545.jpg
138 KB, 969x545
http://nerdist.com/deadpools-success-is-about-truth-in-character-not-raunch/

I'm none to keen on how /co/ feels about news outlet websites but this sort of article just annoys me.

Cliff notes: It just details how Deadpool's massive success has turned Hollywood on to new options to cash in on a quick note. And how films like BvS is going to possibly have an "R" rated release which, I don't give two flying fucks, Superman should never even be rumours about.

This translates over into comics for me because it just mirrors what Marvel/DC do. And if you want to bang on about how Marvel/DC aren't "real" comics you can fuck right off because if there one thing more annoying that what these companies are doing, it's fans who try and turn comics into a pissing contest of my taste is more obscure than yours. I get that some fans want others to read their comics but more often than not, pretentious fans like to tote that they avoid cape comics because they are for casuals. In a way I agree. The ruined integrity of what comics have become/are is aggressive and annoying.

I'm deviating though. The fact that companies feel the need to squeeze out that last bit of profit out of a franchise is turning comics into glorified adverts and sensational pieces. I don't know if I'm waking up for the first time or I'm just exhausted from the story lines that get retconned/ignored every few years in favour of a new character or book that no one gives two flying fucks about.

Only characters sell any more and they only sell if they mirror popular interpretations of a character that everyone knows. This isn't bad per say but it changes the average of what is acceptable losses for more niche comics like Gotham by Midnight or Vision. It's only a matter of time before Vision follows suit like GbM because it doesn't have a character everyone has come to understand.

I know I'm just ranting but I don't know if I have the stamina to keep up with comics any more. I'm tired of it just rotting my brain away for a pay off that never comes only to be undone by the next fucking event that makes bad guys less like bad guys and good guys more like twats.

I doubt too many of you feel the same but I had to get that off my chest. The day they say the BvS gets a DVD release with an R-Rating I reckon I'm done with comics for a bit. Maybe I'll come back in a year or two.
>>
tl;dr?

im gonna assume some of your points in my response

>"superman should never be rated r!!"
>doomsday topples building on civilians
>lex vaporizes someone
>brainiac puts a city in a blender
>darkseid tortures and enslaves civilizations
>mongul runs a bloody gladiator planet

but hey lets have 2 hour movie of superman stopping bank robbers and saving cats out of trees
>>
>>80251521
>The day they say the BvS gets a DVD release with an R-Rating I reckon I'm done with comics for a bit.
http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/14/the-avengers-almost-r-movie-rating
Safe fun-for-all-ages Avengers initially had an R-rating due to Coulson's death scene. You can also get an R-rating for any movie where they say "fuck" twice. Maybe you should stop being a giant autist and realize the rating is really vague and oftentimes meaningless when it comes to the full breadth of the content of a movie.

>Maybe I'll come back in a year or two.
Hopefully longer.
>>
>>80251645
Superman story starts with the DEATH of an entire planet.

But also we all know the R-Rating probably comes from a Joker Flashback. there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>80251521
It sounds like your exhaustion made you more sensitive to the aimlessness of it all. You can either learn not to care, or take a break like you said.
Something tell me I should be calling you a faggot, too, but that seems more like a reflex at this point.
>>
>>80251521
I'm starting to think Simon Pegg was right about the infantilization of society due to nerd culture. The very existence of an R-rated directors cut of BvS on DVD is enough to get this kind of childish overreactions and it is pathetic. It has become quite clear to me that a great deal of the self professed comic book nerds on the internet is only interested in realiving their childhoods over and over again and anything from the adult world that threatens to intrude upon that regressive desire is met with overwhelming hostility.
>>
>>80252133
>I'm starting to think Simon Pegg was right about the infantilization of society due to nerd culture

>starting
>>
>>80252133
this is not related at all to nerd culture

Modern Americans are too wealthy and barely have problems.
Because people always want to live better, even if they already live very well, they have been searching for problems to eliminate, and dedicated themselves to eliminating problems that arent real problems.
Because of that, violence in media, from films to cartoons, has decreased a lot since I was a kid in the 80s.
>>
>>80251645
None of those things can't be done just as well with a PG-13 rating.

Superman is is children's book character. Trying to make him into something adult doesn't work.
>>
>>80252133
>it's an adult film for an adult like me if it's R-Rated

It's only holding onto the moniker of R-Rated to get those luscious Deadpool bucks. This has nothing to do with progress of stories but rather how creatively bankrupt companies have become to play it safe and get as much money as possible.

If anyone has any infantile thoughts it's you to assume that because someone has a gripe that it's an attack on a culture rather than greedy shitbags.
>>
>>80252133
Capeshit is literally rehashing the same characters and stories over and over and over again. Of course people are being infantilized by it.
>>
r rated doesnt mean highly intellectual, people

r rated just means tits and blood
>>
>>80252133
If you wanted to move beyond your childhood you'd stop eating the same regurgitated stories repeatedly.
>>
For the first time I'm really starting to see what Alan Moore was talking about.
>>
>>80252623
R rated doesnt even mean tits and blood.
It means saying "fuck" twice.
But that's all it takes to get shitposters to claim it's mature and highly intellectual so whatevs.
>>
>>80252525
Only to angry manchildren. There is nothing inherently childish about a man with god-like powers who feels burdened to protect mankind with them.
>>
>>80252648
You're missing the point. Both Marvel and DC are being scummy as fuck. The only reason they want to do this is for more money.

Their business practises are being as transparent as they are and it's insulting. It's not about Superman or any other hero being rated R per say. It's about taking one of the most wholesome characters and turning them into am edgy shell JUST to cash in.

It's the equivalent of making an edgy version of a Saturday morning cartoon.
>>
>>80252712
>the only reason companies are in business is to make money
Stop the fucking presses.

Basically >>80252133 is right. Most of you babbys probably don't remember what things were like 10-15 years ago. Everyone wanted EVERYTHING to be "mature" and "gritty", regardless of the source material. It's only since Marvel took over the cinemas with its neutered, family friendly quip-fests that the whole notion of "muh fun" became the standard to which comic book movies are held.
>>
>>80252712
>You're missing the point. Both Marvel and DC are being scummy as fuck. The only reason they want to do this is for more money.
I never said otherwise. This rating thing is absolutely a cash grab. Hell, even making BvS at all is a massive cash grab. Because that's what companies do. They grab cash.

That doesn't change or negate the fact that dumb asses buy into it.
>>
I'm honestly surprised people didn't see this coming already
>>
>>80252768
>veryone wanted EVERYTHING to be "mature" and "gritty", regardless of the source material. It's only since Marvel took over the cinemas with its neutered, family friendly quip-fests that the whole notion of "muh fun" became the standard to which comic book movies are held.
What's really strange is that you seem to be insinuating the former is better than the latter when it was just as stupid if not moreso.
>>
>>80252768
>Most of you babbys probably don't remember what things were like 10-15 years ago. Everyone wanted EVERYTHING to be "mature" and "gritty", regardless of the source material.
>People are actually forgetting the 90s

Jesus christ, I never thought I'd see the day
>>
>>80252578
What stories can't be boiled down to that though?
I understand capeshit does it on another level a lot of the time but I just think people with this complaint don't understand what serialized fiction is
>>
>>80252804
I didn't insinuate shit. The quality of the movie has nothing to do with its tone. I think most Marvel movies just aren't good because they're forgettable dreck. They subsist on a wave of hype and continuity that makes people think that each individual entry is better than it actually is, simply because it feeds into something bigger. Better just by association, if you will. Only 2 or 3 of the Marvel movies are actually worth watching again. And that's being generous.

A movie's quality is not linked to its tone. It's called being subjective. Might wanna try it sometime.
>>
>>80251521
You could have said this in less words but I agree.
>>
File: 1455217008115.jpg (26 KB, 400x317) Image search: [Google]
1455217008115.jpg
26 KB, 400x317
The Hobbit had a R-rated Blu-Ray version. Was this also because of Deadpool's success?

Warner Brothers didn't announce BvS R-rated Blu-Ray also, some person checked out the future movies ratings and did a reported on it. The BvS R-rated Blu-Ray was also rated months before the release of Deadpool.
>>
File: dos10.jpg (171 KB, 600x910) Image search: [Google]
dos10.jpg
171 KB, 600x910
>>80252525
Automatic R-rating.
>>
File: action 1 wife beating.jpg (249 KB, 581x262) Image search: [Google]
action 1 wife beating.jpg
249 KB, 581x262
>>80252525
A children's book character throwing a wife beater through a wall.
>>
>>80252662

You're flipping this the wrong way.

Only angry man-children want to drag their childhood fictional heroes into their adulthood.

Only manchildren would try to pass off the kids books and toy commercials of their youth as being mature content.

There's nothing really wrong with being a manchild as long as you have your shit together, but don't lie to yourself and try to pretend that your endless nostalgia and inability to let go is in any way due to the flexibility of the properties your obsess over and not your own projection
>>
>>80253479

>Only angry man-children want to drag their childhood fictional heroes into their adulthood.
>Only manchildren would try to pass off the kids books and toy commercials of their youth as being mature content.

Pretty much this, yeah.
>>
>>80253339

What the fuck was there even in that hobbit blu-ray to merit R? Did everybody just suddenly get their rape on? Dwarf Orgy while Gandalf watched in the corner and took notes? Bilbo indulging in the ultra-violence?
>>
>>80251521
Capes are a pretty low-tier genre in an already low-tier medium.
>>
>>80251521
Or maybe because it's just funny and that's enough for them
The masses don't know shit about Deadpool except
>LOL CHIMICHANGAS
>>
>>80253554
A small amount of blood spray.
>>
>BvS is going to be Rated R because Deadpool!

How does that even work? I mean, how do you rewrite and refilm scenes to make BvS an R rated movie when it's coming out soon?
>>
>>80252525
That children's book character broke the back of the KKK. But there's nothing adult about that, right?
>>
>>80253554
This is the scene that gave it the R-rating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bQtXv68a4
>>
>>80253969
It's not that the blu-rays suddenly became R-Rated. It's that they're hyping it. The hype is (arguably) a response, not the content.
>>
>>80254057
>>80253767

That's stupid.
>>
The only silver lining I can see with this is DC doing a Lobo movie. Put that could monkey paw really fast
>>
>>80254073
But they aren't hyping it. I don't even think WB has officially announced this yet.
>>
>>80253689
Which is silly because chimichangas were offhandedly mentioned a single time in the entire movie.
>>
>>80254057
and here's the scene without wacky music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aTPiShcm78
>>
>>80254132

The only sites reporting about the BvS R-rated Blu-Ray are the ones running a smear campaign against the movie by proclaiming that WB just want to cash-in on Deadpool's success.
>>
they're not real comics, haven't been since mid 2000s
>>
>deadpool should be r rated
>reading comics
Pick one
>>
>>80251521
If you're a fan of something more often then not the creators will forget about you in favor of new blood. This is so common in every medium it's predictable.
I buy every Marvel comic and I don't enjoy all of it, but I enjoy parts of it. I had to accept a long time ago that my favorite IP's are almost always going to treat me like shit for staying loyal and it's up to you to decide when enough enough.
>>
File: SwZLwzn-1.jpg (225 KB, 679x1024) Image search: [Google]
SwZLwzn-1.jpg
225 KB, 679x1024
>>80253383

I mean come on.
>>
deadpool is shit
>>
>>80253689
>>80254161
What the fuck is a chimichanga
>>
>>80254475
I hate how depressingly accurate this is. I want to like comics but it's like returning to an abusive partner.
>>
>>80254073
>It's not that the blu-rays suddenly became R-Rated. It's that they're hyping it. The hype is (arguably) a response, not the content.
WB hasn't hyped shit. Someone read the MPAA ratings bulletin and then it got picked up by the nerd clickbait sites. WB hasn't even announced the existence of the home version yet.
>>
>>80253479
>>80253533
This. The whole "edgy reboot of a children's property" fad is dumb as fuck. Making a Power Rangers movie (I'm referring to the 10-minute fan thing) where Bulk and Skull are drug addicts and half the Rangers are traitors or manwhores is completely missing the reason why people liked it in the first place.

Not everything NEEDS to be "adult". And "adult" doesn't necessarily imply grimderpness.
>>
You have to be actually retarded to believe the director's cut was submitted and rated within the two week span after deadpool has came out.

There's no debate or discussion, you are factually retarded.
>>
>>80254091
>That's stupid.
That's the MPAA for you. It's completely arbitrary.
>>
>>80254200
is it wrong i really liked this scene
>>
>>80254625
>What the fuck is a chimichanga
google is incorporated into a search bar function commonly located in the top right of your web browser.
>>
>>80254813
yeah probably
>>
>>80251521
Holy shit, I was just about to say this to someone.
The sudden bandwagoning on wanting R-Rated movies is ridiculous. Deadpool wasn't successful cause it was R-Rated, it was successful cause the people qho made it CARED about what they were doing and wanted to make it good. A rating does not guarantee good or bad movie, it's the people that do.
That there are people who will actually label people as "PG13fags" already says how ridiculous this is.
>>
Wasn't the r-rated cut of BvS submitted to the MPAA in September? How is that a bandwagon?
>>
>>80251645
>2 hour movie of superman stopping bank robbers and saving cats out of trees

I mean that is currently the biggest grossing Superman movie of all time by a wide margin, but sure, whatever. If you want him to be unpopular make movies about how nobody understands him even though he's The One.

Then have an expensive, ten year arc of movies where Lex Luthor goes from being a loveable homoerotic scamp to a Brainiac hybrid because of that one shitty movie to making clones of himself and proliferating everywhere to try and force humanity to become more than it is, and then you can have Superman in his black, capeless costume with his bald patch and his grey hair fight Lex Prime to the death in the rain. The rain is important because it shows how hard they're hitting each other.
>>
>>80255070
autism
>>
>>80255070
It's not. But when have facts ever mattered? It's a chance to get some more shots in at the competition in the everlasting company wars.
>>
>>80255070
It's for a home media release; it's not unusual to find that home media releases differ from theatrical cuts, and often the same movie has multiple home media ratings - because there are multiple cuts to release. If you have an R-rated home release it's likely to sell to fewer people - R-ratings don't generally sell well at all - so if you market it as the "bigger, longer, uncut" version then it appeals to a certain crowd who would otherwise avoid the PG-13 release. It's a useful way of getting more money for a relatively low increase in your overheads.

What's interesting about it is the timing of the news. It's probably down to people who check these sorts of things knowing it was happening and deciding that it's a good story right now - but it's not doing WB any harm to get some free publicity off the back of a rival studio getting an unusually high gross, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility, with the movie a month away and lots of press kits going out, that they're nudging certain aspects of reporting on their movie.

The real problem with Deadpool is what you might call the Bullet Time problem - you can expect a lot of what people remember from Deadpool to filter into other movies from now on, for better or worse, simply because it made money and made an impression on people. Seeing something cool and thinking you can improve on it is basically at the heart of filmmaking - expect imitators.
>>
>>80254017
The Lorax had a major real-world impact, too, but it's still simplistic and designed tor children.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 975x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 975x500
>>80253479
>>
>>80252712
>It's not about Superman or any other hero being rated R per say. It's about taking one of the most wholesome characters and turning them into am edgy shell JUST to cash in.
This has been true ever since the Burton Batfilm
>>
>>80252712
>It's about taking one of the most wholesome characters and turning them into am edgy shell JUST to cash in.
Way to jump to conclusions there.
>>
>>80255357
The what now?
>>
>>80255535
The Lorax with the power.
>>
>>80251521
Yes take a long break please, actually don't come back.
>>
>>80252712
You sound like the biggest fucking fag right now, Muh quipps!!!
>>
>>80255357
Ah yes. Let's disingenuously equate promoting enviromental awareness with fighting a racist hate organization.
>>
>>80251521
I left for a year or two after AVX/Marvel Now and upon coming back decided just to read old stuff and laugh at /co/'s butthurt over the new stuff.
>>
>>80256065
Even if you compare apples to apples the superman radio show that fought the klan would get dismissed as "campy shit for babies" these days.
>>
>>80251521
This is a rambling incoherent mess.

Is he upset that the comics are turning g into the movies

Is he upset niche booms don't sell

Is he upset about everything

There really isn't a point here
>>
>>80251521
what i don't get is.. why did they need a commercial success to prove everyone wanted R-rated movies? everyone has ALWAYS wanted them. and if they didn't already, the concept of forbiddenness made it even more appealing. APPEAL was never what held them back
>>
File: Kyle_Anderson_Nerdist.png (47 KB, 965x293) Image search: [Google]
Kyle_Anderson_Nerdist.png
47 KB, 965x293
>>80251521
>>
>>80256065
Where's the disingenuous-ness?

Both are cases of a children's book fueling social activism.
>>
The movie's a success because they've been pushing to get the damn thing done for years. Since they didn't get an immediate green-light they had to really fucking refine what they had from le whacky into an actual crowd pleaser.

I honestly worry Cable & Deadpool is going to try to amp up the wacky factor and fall more decisively into Waypool territory.
>>
>>80251521
>what is Marvel MAX
>What is Marvel Knights
>what is Marvel EDGE
>>
>>80257531
money speaks
>>
Anyone who complains about BvS' extended edition being rated R for more violence to watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-NeJRrgoTY
>>
>>80254520
The character or the film? You know what, you're just being contrarian. Quit being a no fun twat.
>>
>>80254669
My only solace is that it's honestly always been like this. /co/ might try to convince you that shit changed now but you can go back and read Feminist pandering in the original Ms. Marvel run or in issues of Marvel Team-up. Or any other political lecturing, it's not limited to today's standards. But those comics weren't HORRIBLE and neither are these. Their just meh. Sure every now and again you get Angela Queen of Hel but in the same month you get Vision and I'm okay with that. Doesn't mean I don't get pissed, just means I saw it coming
>>
>>80261070
Kids get exposed to so much shit on the internet now it's no wonder that they should change the rating systems all over.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.