[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why this is a bad thing? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15
File: o-CHICKEN-570.jpg?6.jpg (31 KB, 570x381) Image search: [Google]
o-CHICKEN-570.jpg?6.jpg
31 KB, 570x381
Can someone explain to me why this is a bad thing?

It seems like a good example of how far and hose much we've progressed when it comes to farming.
>>
>>7487748
it's not a bad thing. people who try to tell you it is are anti science and just blatantly ignorant and essentially want less people to have access to food. the one issue i have with it is as the birds get bigger it can cause them to suffer. but that is only with animals. gmos in general are good
>>
>>7487748
its the whole natural = good thing people believe. like how they think GMOs are automatically evil. the legal aspects of Monsanto are bad, but the creation of better, larger crops is great
>>
>>7487748
Well, did the taste, nutritional value, cost for breeding increase along with yield? There might be negatives, but if I recall from SCIENCE, at the very least the cost for breeding chicken is still stable.

Wasn't alive back in 1957 so I really can't recall how chickens taste back then.

I am pretty sure overall it's a good thing, especially since most of it is done through selective breeding.
>>
>>7487765
Haven't chicken prices been falling?
>>
Isn't it bad cause this type of size increase isn't due totally to natural selection. Isn't it due to pumping chickens full of growth hormones from a young age? Also don't those chickens have like a shit ton more fat? And you could argue it's unethical cause those chickens live their whole lives steeped in their own shit hardly able to walk cause their breasts are too big
>>
>>7487768
The US government doesn't allow hormone injects in chicken.
>>
>>7487768
If I recall correctly, the growth of chickens is actually due to artificial selection and breeding.

however, in order for these chickens to survive--for their bodies to support their massive weight, that is--, farmers have to inject a lot of unnatural chemicals and such into their food, such as arsenic for stronger bones. This, of course, leads to high levels of these chemicals in their stool and also their meat, which is both horrible for the environment and humans.
>>
This picture is so stupid to me because I raise chickens in my backyard from chicks and all this picture shows is different stages of growth of the same chicken
>>
>>7487871
well unfortunately we don't have nice front-on color picture of a chicken from 1957 or 1978

however, perhaps, they are simply to illustrate and compare the relative size of chicken based on historical data
>>
>>7487765
People have argued that the faster growth and larger size has come at the expense of taste and texture, but we can't prove it unless we can compare a battery farmed chicken from 1957 with one from 2005.
>>
>>7487884
well, you probably could compare some free range chicken to some purdue from the local mart

I would think that if there was a major difference we would have seen a rise in higher quality chicken
>>
damn. that is one old ass chicken
>>
MOnsantro! The goverment poisoned the chickens with autism!!!!!!!
>>
THE MEGALEG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEnhoL4hSg
>>
>>7487893
I don't doubt that a local farmer will raise higher quality chickens than some mass market battery farm, but there's too many factors for you to be certain. The way it was raised (battery, free run, free range), breed etc.
>>
>>7487748
I work on a chicken farm. I'm sure it's a good thing overall for us. We get more in weight of meat per weight of feed now (more efficient "feed conversion") but it can suck for the chickens. A lot of them end up being too fat to even stand and they don't get taken to the processing plant. Some fucker like me has to kill them with their bare hands. This is also a waste of feed. They're meant to live about 8 weeks before being killed for food. But when one gets to 5 or 6 weeks and needs to be killed because it can no longer stand and get to feed and water that's a lot of feed that was wasted on that soon to be dead chicken.
>>
>>7487961

Do you choke them?
>>
most supermarket chickens are actually obese

obese chickens=obese people

http://www.drsharma.ca/do-non-exercising-chicken-promote-obesity-in-humans
>>
>>7487748
If you measure "progress" strictly in terms of being able to produce larger birds, then sure, maybe. I'm not sure what good that does me, I am not able to eat the meat of an entire chicken in one sitting, nor would I want to. I suppose there is some benefit to marketers.

The people who are screaming SCIENCE in the way a religious fanatic shrieks about their deity are exactly the same as a religious fanatic.

One only needs to taste real chicken, not from battery cages, not pumped full of hormones all their miserable lives, to understand why "this is a bad thing". Here is a picture of a chicken dish. You can see it is quite minimalistic, so the uncultured, passportless fear-gripped flyovers, who are used to eating garbage food will no doubt make loud gagging noises and say it looks disgusting. It is because all their lives they have been conditioned to think that in order for chicken to taste good, it needs to be burned to a crisp and then blasted with powdered spice mixes, sriracha, and ranch dressing. The idea that gently poached chicken meat could be desirable to eat is obviously the delusional madness of a troll or a mentally ill person.
>>
>>7489361
>le flyover meme
>>
File: 1439093740703.jpg (60 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1439093740703.jpg
60 KB, 479x720
>>7489361
>>
>>7487748
Because the fast growing breeds don't taste like anything.
>>
>>7489482
stay mad flyover scum
>>
>>7489529
>>7489495
>>7489482

Even if this is a meme they have a point.

Poached chicken is delicious, why wouldn't high quality meat be better for it?

Do you really think game birds taste worse than chicken?
>>
>>7489542
Bigger/fatter chickens doesn't mean it has diluted taste
>>
>>7489505
thats a myth, the lack of taste comes from the diet, not the fact that they are huge
>>
>>7489582
That and higher growth rates. A broiler is ready to slaughter 8 weeks usually, not a lot of time to develop flavor really regardless of feed.
>>
>>7489495
>>7489482
Just say "at least we're not the south"

You'll feel better, I promise
>>
Are American chickens really that big?
I'm Danish and your average supermarket chicken here is 1400 g.
Last time I bought a frozen duck it was 2400 g.

These chickens are almost twice the size of my duck? I'm not saying it's impossible but I feel like a 4200-gram chicken is at least not "usual."
>>
>>7489630
If you buy special feed instead of giving them corn or whatever then yes. When I raised turkies I got them to 40+ pounds in four months.
>>
THANK YOU WALKING BIRD OF GAINS
>>
>>7489605
do you ever leave this place?
>>
>>7487748
REAL chickens have curves shitlord
>>
>>7487748

The "new" chickens are infinitely more susceptible to diseases and need a metric fuckton of antibiotics to get to slaughtering age (about 6 weeks old). This has already resulted in numerous strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Also, compared to a normal chicken the taste is aweful. Its also not really a "feed the hungry" thing since chickens need more calories to be raised to slaughtering age than they deliver as meat. If you want to feed the hungry, replace chicken/cattle feed farms with crops for people... and replace chicken/cattle farms with other crops for people.

Really this shit is just about getting the maximum weight of meat per unit of time for the sake of moneys... wich is widely considered a valid enough reason to do anything in this day and age.
>>
>>7489605
Funny enough, I'm from New York.
>>
>>7487748
Small chicken breeds still exist.

Artificial selection really breeds nice chickens.

>>7487768
You can buy different chicken breeds yourself and see just how dramatic size difference can be.
Just can also do some artificial selection with Quails a yourself and see how quickly you can make the average size increase with animals that reproduce quickly.
Quails actually breed so fast that the time it takes for a quail egg to hatch to giving birth to new eggs is shorter than the time it takes for a tomato plant to give ripe fruit from seed.

> And you could argue it's unethical cause those chickens live their whole lives steeped in their own shit hardly able to walk cause their breasts are too big
You have special breeds for chickens who do fine in such small areas.
They don't walk around they just eat, shit and hatch.

No breed is the same.
Japanese quails do fine with 1 animal per square foot you can put even more together per square foot when the area is pretty big. Like 200 quails on 100 square foot.
But some different Quail breeds which are actually smaller than Japanese Quails need much more room.
Same goes for chickens, some breeds need space, some need less. Some are great for meat production, others are great for hatching eggs for consumption, other are great for hatching eggs.

Whether or not a small space is ethical or not depends 100% on the breed
>>
>>7487961
That's what happens when breeds meant for battery cages become free range.
>>
File: kxMTYyl[1].jpg (180 KB, 419x610) Image search: [Google]
kxMTYyl[1].jpg
180 KB, 419x610
>>7487748

>when the merchant sells you a nice big chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heWj884e9Wk
>>
>>7487748
I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, but I want no part of it. Because I want the best tasting ingredients I can find, and those usually are not the ones bred for size and speed of growth.

Ch9icken is a perfect example. Commercially raised chickens reach slaughtering weight so quickly they don't have time to develop much in the way of flavor. So you get a lot of cheap, bland meat. That's fine for poorfags who don't give a fuck about flavor, but I ain't buying it.

Same is true for many of the giant, watery vegetables on our supermarket shelves. No thanks to those, either. I can afford better, and I live in a place where better is available, so that's what I'll buy.
>>
File: life is suffering.jpg (102 KB, 1024x770) Image search: [Google]
life is suffering.jpg
102 KB, 1024x770
>>7487748
My grandmother no longer buys chicken from the grocery store if she is making a roast chicken, she will kill one of her own. They resemble the ones in the middle and I have never tasted a better roast chicken.

Basically agribusiness has for the past ~60 years focused on quantity, not quality. My grandfather sold all of his Jersey cows in favor of Holsteins back in the 60s because while Jersey cows produce better milk with a higher milkfat content, Holsteins produce like 50% more a day.

In terms of nutrition I wouldn't be surprised if the older breeds were slightly better for you, but in a future world where meat is becoming more scarce on tables, the quantity of the protein we can get from these new mutant superchickens probably ends up being more beneficial for humanity in the long run

>mfw grandma died and I will never taste chicken that naturally good ever again
>>
>>7490003
That future world isn't gonna happen. War, disease and declining birth rates are going to prevent it.
>>
Wow, that chicken is 48 years old?
>>
File: chicken.gif (22 KB, 616x479) Image search: [Google]
chicken.gif
22 KB, 616x479
>>7490003
You're 100% correct. This is why I eat meat and cheese infrequently, but source it very carefully when I do. (And I sure as hell pay a premium for it, but I'd rather eat less of the good stuff than lots of crap).

When grandma dies look for someone raising heritage breed chickens. They're out there. In NYC I can find pic related in Chinatown, and these fuckers taste like real chicken (even if they're $12 a bird).
>>
>>7490150
War and disease have always been around, but you're right for wanting them to be destroyed. Declining birth rates won't matter when we can start creating better robots, or when we need people to start giving birth on another planet/the moon.
>>
>>7490003
>chicken that naturally good
farming isn't fucking natural
>>
>>7487754
Die, monsanto shill
>>>/g/
>>
>>7487748
>1957
That bird looks underraged. Who would eat that? Hobo of mexico?
>>
>>7487748
we're creating dinosaurs
>>
>>7489361
>Pic
Chinken Lice is disgust degenerate japanese food made by gooks who fuck tentacles and use sewer oil .
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04
>>
Because animal abuse is bad you fucking weirdo
>>
>>7487748

I can't be the only one here who is really looking forward to what that chicken is gonna fucking look like in 2026, can I?
>>
>>7490301
Why u no vegan?
>>
chicken is nasty now
like..almost anywhere you get it the taste and smell and texture are complete shit
i used to love it
>>
supercows when
>>
>>7490353
Shut up.
>>
>>7490353
Stop feeding your chikecn shit, anon,
>>
>>7490367
that thing looks like it would make your tongue grow pubes just from eating a steak of it
>>
>>7490367
Literally my favorite breed of beef.

>>7490374
It is a naturally occurring mutation that makes them have double the muscle growth of normal cows.
>>
>>7490371
i just mean if i buy it anywhere other than a few select brands of chicken breast at the store
>>
>>7487961
How much do they pay you to choke them chickens?
>>
>>7487770

Yeah, they've also outlawed crime
>>
>>7487748
Yeah, shoving hundreds of chickens in the same tiny coop so that they taste like the miserable life they led is a good thing
>>
>>7487871
see the little '56d' text on the left? i assume (just as a non-retard, unlike you apparently) that this means size at day 56 of their life.
>>
[spoiler]This just in: There are different breeds of chicken! (my god man you can go get a chicken that looks exactly like that 1957 one)[/spoiler]
>>
>>7487748
>Because of these fuckers, we can't get pick up trucks from the rest of the World.

The chicken tax is a 25% tariff on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks imposed in 1963 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.
>>
File: black-chicken.jpg (121 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [Google]
black-chicken.jpg
121 KB, 1024x675
>>7490644
>>
File: uuuuhhhhh.jpg (217 KB, 1100x1315) Image search: [Google]
uuuuhhhhh.jpg
217 KB, 1100x1315
>>7487748
THICK!!!
>>
>>7487765
I can only go on an anecdotal example, but when my dad was in England, he grew up by a chicken farm, and his family would get chickens from them.
Compared to those, his opinion is that most chicken is flavorless unless you inject the hell out of it with saline (which is what many companies do.)

Overall, I don't really care too much - yield is ultimately more important when you're trying to feed the world. But I would like to experience what he did at least once.
>>
>>7487893
We have seen a rise in higher quality chicken

It just doesn't get sold in places where your average "MUH SCIENCE" millennial CO/ck/s on food stamps are likely to set foot. They're too busy shrieking that nice things are a scam while microwaving their Perdue tendies.
>>
You cannot have cheap on-demand electricity without african and chinese miners getting uranium out under inhuman conditions.

You cannot have easily available clothing and electronocs without south asian factories setting new world records for suicide rates.

You cannot have meats for any meal of the day without breaking your wallet without industrialised breeding and slaughter.

etc.
>>
>>7490367
That thing's dick is huge. Holy shit.
>>
Smaller young chickens do actually taste better though.
>>
>>7491111
>meats for three meals a day
Only fucked up people with terrible diets and even worse health think this is a good idea

Better meat in smaller amounts would benefit humanity. And yeah, you libertarian fatass, I do think we should ban soda too.
>>
>>7490367
boy he THICC
>>
>>7490262

Thats a stupid thing to say men have been farming for thousands of years, by that logic building a home isn't natural, starting a fire isn't natural, playing tennis isn't natural, sitting in a damp cave with no fire is natural though, thank god we've never made progress.
>>
>>7487748
>2016
>trying to sell me a scrawny 1957 chicken with no breast meat for 4 times the price
>>
>>7487748
>Can someone explain to me why this is a bad thing?

Because we traded off flavor for fast growth and size. We now have chickens that are very inexpensive and yield a lot of meat but unfortunately they have very little taste.
>>
File: then and now.jpg (43 KB, 472x382) Image search: [Google]
then and now.jpg
43 KB, 472x382
>Can someone explain to me why this is a bad thing?
Pic related
Fatter, slower, and dumber chickens lead to fatter, slower, and dumber predators.
>>
>>7492145

Predators aren't involved here because those fat-ass chickens only exist in factory farming.
>>
>>7490262
While I think this post is fucking stupid, there is a nugget of truth in the sense that a wild chicken will taste better than a farm raised one
>>
>>7487748

Chicken tastes 1000% better now vs 100 years ago.

That is not the issue.

The issue is there are like 100 other kinds of poultry - many species of duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, game hens, etc, etc - that are so much better than the average crap chicken in grocery stores that it isn't even worth discussing.

Stop eating chicken. Just stop. You will be glad.
>>
>>7490367

I really wonder what a ribeye off that thing looks like? Is it 100% pure red, no marbling whatsoever? Dogfood grade??
>>
>>7492732
There will be little marbling, however the meat will taste very very beefy. It will also be pretty tender unless you overcook it.

Belgian Blue is a very good breed of cattle to eat.
>>
File: HHNNNNGGHHH.jpg (76 KB, 500x566) Image search: [Google]
HHNNNNGGHHH.jpg
76 KB, 500x566
>>7492722
>mfw eating giant fucking turkey legs whenever the state fair comes to town
I prefer turkey over chicken. I feel like a fucking caveman every time I eat a leg
>>
>>7491078
>yield is ultimately more important when you're trying to feed the world
True, but there's really no reason to feed the world chicken.
>I would like to experience what he did at least once.
You can. Find someone raising heritage breed birds and buy one. You won't believe the difference in flavor. Or if you travel get chicken when visiting a country that doesn't raise chickens the way we do in the States. You can get good chickens pretty easily in parts of Europe and Latin America. Hell, as I said here >>7490244 I can even get them in NYC's Chinatowns.

You will not find them at the supermarket, however.
>>
>>7492722

You kidding me? I can't claim to have eaten chicken 100 years ago, but there's no comparison in flavor between a typical supermarket bird (what's on the right of OP's photo) and a semi-wild chicken. The latter is so much tastier it isn't even funny.

You're right that many kinds of poultry are very tasty. And chicken would be in that same category if it was bred for taste instead of fast growth & large breast meat. It's not that those other birds are somehow more flavorful than a chicken, it's because our supermarket chicken has become so incredibly bland.
>>
How the fuck do any of you know that Chicken tasted better in the past?
>>
>>7493266
Because heritage breed chickens are still around. If you get your hands on one and compare it to the garbage birds in the supermarket you realize what a huge compromise was made in flavor to make the meat so cheap.
>>
Appeal to nature fallacy.

What they fail to realize: There have been relatively frequent panics about civilization running out of food. Why haven't we? Because we keep engineering means to acquire more food from our farms.

There are many starving African countries that actually wouldn't be overpopulated by first world standards. The difference is that their farming techniques are pretty much right in line with muh nature.
>>
>>7493591
>The difference is that their farming techniques are pretty much right in line with muh nature.
That, and shit weather, lousy soil and poor infrastructure (if any). Stop oversimplifying.
>>
>>7493617

>shit weather
>lousy soil

Africa is the most fertile part of the planet.

Their soil is shit because they ruined it with their horrible farming techniques.
>>
>>7493617
Yep nothing grows in all those rainforests they have. wait.
>>
>>7493684
Rainforests are fucking terrible soil for agriculture, hence slash and burn. You're dumb as fuck nigga.
>>
File: uhhmerrricaaaaa.jpg (89 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
uhhmerrricaaaaa.jpg
89 KB, 500x397
>>7493591
>"Africa" has pretty much the same geography and climate
Because pinotage wine and yirgacheffe coffee come from the same country... "Africa"

I love it when Americans inadvertently reveal that their knowledge of the world comes from Leonardo De Caprio films
>>
>>7490470
>he does it for free
>>
>>7487748
If I was in charge of promoting vegetarianism, and I had large media channels at my command (i.e, the ability to buy adspace or spread Facebook memes), I wouldn't straight-up tell people "Stop eating animal products".

Rather, I would look at individual animal products and give them individual reasons as to why you shouldn't eat them. Make it seem like it's all different bits of wisdom.

>"Egg yolks cause heart attacks, you know."
>"Didn't you know red meat causes colon cancer?"
>"Chickens aren't even the same as they were 60 years ago, didn't you know that?"

So when you put all these individual factoids together, what emerges becomes obvious: being vegetarian/vegan is the healthiest diet there is! Obviously, right?

Not saying this is how it was done, but it is how I'd do it.
>>
>>7493726
>vegetarianism and veganism is the same thing
Kind of like how liking German cars and wanting to round up all Jews and put them into gas chambers is the same thing?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4xytsouUYo
>>
>>7493738
yes
i am german i can confirm this
>>
>>7491092
My tendies are Tyson, thank you very much.
>>
>>7493266
Because 10 years ago I could get it almost anywhere and it wasnt just full of hard shit gristle and fat like it is now.
>>
>>7492741

The turkey we get comes from the states and it really tastes like ass.
>>
>>7493726
Why don't you just allow people to eat what they choose to eat?
>>
The biggest argument is bigger yields reduce flavor. We'd need to find some old chicken breeds and taste those to really tell.
>>
>>7494179
Because I'm an asshole with money and an agenda.
>>
>>7493833
surely the ratio of grislte to quality meat has gone way the fuck down as chickens have expanded
>>
>>7494330
this, and it's been the driving force in US agriculture policy since Nixon.
>>
>>7493726
>"Chickens aren't even the same as they were 60 years ago
thats how fucking evolution works. Nothing with such short life cycles are the same as 60 years ago, thats hardly a reason not to eat it
>>
>>7489529
los angeles is the #1 city in the world no doubt
>>
>>7487901
Underrated
>>
>>7489717
This. These fucking rubes will never understand how badly we're getting screwed in the coming years by antibiotic-resistant bacteria, of which these sorts of animals are contributing greatly to.
>>
>>7494411
>Nothing with such short life cycles are the same as 60 years ago
What? Tell me how cockroaches or flies are noticeably different from 60 or even 6000 years ago.
>>
>>7493625
>>7493684
lol these retards
>>
>>7494979
If you believe antibiotic resistant bacteria exist, you are literally worse than Jenny McCarthy.

Why do liberals hate science?
>>
>>7487910
>global warming is a greenpeace hoax!
>>
>>7496798
Then you might want to show me your sources, which lead you to the conclusion that they don´t exist?
You know... the scientific ones...

Something like that:
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1408555/
>>
>>7489361
Growth Hormone is not used in chickens, it is illegal in the United States to do so and the chickens are growing as big and as fast as they possibly could anyway due to selective breeding and feed.

>>7487748
This image only shows the natural growth of the same chicken. the Year dates on the top are photoshopped on. This is the same chicken, over a period of 2 months.

>>7487765
Of all the things that can be argued, it CAN be argued that rapid chicken breeding has caused a loss of flavour in most birds, due to a lack of exercise or varied diet. Heritage breeds raised free range are going to taste much different from your cage raised Frankenbird. I frankly feel like there's room for both.
>>
File: 1257443836328[1].jpg~c200.jpg (16 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1257443836328[1].jpg~c200.jpg
16 KB, 200x200
>>7489717
>if you want to feed the hungry, replace chicken/cattle feed farms with crops for people

Yeah nah, Crops require much more space and are more resource intensive, you'd have the opposite effect. We really need to develop vertical farms, Pronto
>>
>>7489717

It really pisses me off when retarded armchair farmers who just got done watching the documentary cowspiracy think that you can solve your dilemma of providing food by virtue of said food grown when the issue is more nuanced then that.

For instance, You will never deliver crops or meat sufficient to feed populations facing systemic issues such as political in the case of north korea and countries facing strife in africa

Nevermind the fact excessive un-ecofriendly agriculture in case of crop growth can and does lead into soil degradation and desertification.

The key between spreading information to farmers and get them to stop tilling and grinding up their soil and to end the political turmoil that causes major problems for people getting their food.
>>
Distributing food and wasting food is a far bigger issue than growing food nowadays
>>
>>7499012

Sure in your first world country maybe, But in the rest of the world beyond america you actually have things like total crop failure and horrible farming methods I.E tilling that destroy the soil.
>>
CUS IS NO NATURUHL DUUUUUHHHH
>>
>>7499057
You can distribute food from America, to Africa, plenty, but it's not easy
>>
>>7498165
you put more crops into a chicken than you would directly into a person for the same caloric effect

the waste of space is apready happening, it would actually REDUCE the space needed to grow food if people stopped eating meat
>>
>>7499135
>you put more crops into a chicken than you would directly into a person for the same caloric effect

That's true if all you're looking at is the calories themselves, but that's only part of the picture. There are many things that we humans cannot digest, but animals can--mainly many kinds of plants. Human beings cannot digest celluose. Put a human in a field of grass and that human could eat grass all day long but would die of starvation because he could not digest it. On the other hand, throw some rabbits into the equation and now the human can derive nutrition from it: rabbit eats grass, human eats rabbit.
>>
>>7499274
True, but we're not living in the days of nomadic animal husbandry.

A field of hay grown to feed cattle could instead be used as a field of wheat grown to feed people, or a field of feed-corn could become a field of food-corn or beans or many other different crops.

In some more arid and hilly places the only agriculture they'll ever be able to do is keep open fields for animal grazing, but most animals raised for food these days require feed crops raised on land that could otherwise be used for food crops for people. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
>>
>>7499350
>A field of hay grown to feed cattle could instead be used as a field of wheat grown to feed people

In some cases (heck, probably even in most cases), yes, but in other cases, no. There are plenty of places where animals are raised on land that's pretty much useless for anything else. West Texas cattle ranches are a great example. The soil is shitty, and even if it wasn't there are so many rocks and whatnot that you couldn't plow or sow seed. However cattle and goats have no problem eating the scrub which does grow there.
>>
>>7490900
I want to try that so hard.
>>
I don't get the cplaints about industrial chicken being bland. To me that is a good thing because it makes it a more versatile meat. I can cook and season it so many ways and it comes out good.

I've killed and cooked a free range bird myself and it was good in its own way, but I'd sooner but the cheap stuff.
>>
>>7501116
>I don't get the cplaints about industrial chicken being bland. To me that is a good thing because it makes it a more versatile meat. I can cook and season it so many ways and it comes out good.
>I've killed and cooked a free range bird myself and it was good in its own way, but I'd sooner but the cheap stuff.
So you are tasteless and proud? Not everyone is as much of a faggot as you are.
>>
This image is bullshit

But even if it was real, isn't it just selective breeding
These faggots who complain about genetic modification are the same yuppie cunts who carry a pedigree poodle in their handbag
>>
>>7501928
>isn't it just selective breeding

It is. The problem isn't that it's some kind of scary GMO frankenchicken. The point is that we've traded away the flavor in the name of cheaper meat.
>>
Even cheap chicken is usually still delicious as shit, so I don't care that much.

Much like every other food in existence, I'm sure you can still purchase "ANCIENT BABYLONIAN CROMAG QUALITY CHICKEN" at a higher price.
>>
>>7502059
>Even cheap chicken is usually still delicious as shit, so I don't care that much.
The joke here being that due to changing baselines you dont know what actual chicken tastes like unless you have raised your own heritage breeds.
>>
>>7502065

You don't have to raise them yourself in order to eat traditional style chicken. You can buy them already slaughtered and ready to cook.
>>
>>7502069
>traditional style chicken
What does that even mean?

Raising chickens is much cheaper than paying 20 dollars for one bird.
>>
>>7487748
Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.
>>
>>7499382
People are really this dense, the argument is that you will feed a huge amount of shit corn and shit pellets made of shit that you could feed people.
While it's true that the calories that it takes to make meat would feed more people that the meat itself, the byproducts of corn that result from oil and sugar extraction are more akin to sawdust than food and this is what we feed livestock. The arguments are shit because the processes are so complex. I don't even know where the tallow they add to feed comes from...
>>
>>7502074
>What does that even mean?

Same thing as "heritage breed" only it doesn't make you sound like a hipster when you say it.

>>raising chickens is cheaper
Yes it is, I agree. My point was that 7502065 implies that the ONLY way to taste that was to raise them yourself. I was pointing out that there are alternatives to doing so.

>$20
Try checking out asian supermarkets sometime. You can usually get them for about half that. They often have silkies as well.
>>
>>7502105
Heritage breed is the accepted term for old world style breeds of livestock, I am sorry I use the proper terms for things.

That is because it is the only way to get good chicken without paying an arm and a leg for it, same with any other meat type.

I try not to eat anything from China, I get enough carcinogens from breathing the air, I dont need more from Chinese produced food stuffs.
>>
>>7502115
>I am sorry I use the proper terms for things.
I've got nothing against your choice of words, anon. I just don't care for that term myself. Carry on.

>>without paying an arm and a leg for it
Just because you don't like the alternatives doesn't mean they don't exist.

>>I try not to eat anything from China
Neither do I. The chickens don't come from China, they are domestically raised & slaughtered. Do some google searching. These are commonly called "Vikon" chicken or "Buddhist style chicken". Free range, heritage breed, sold head-and-feet-intact.
>>
>>7502162
>The chickens don't come from China, they are domestically raised & slaughtered. Do some google searching. These are commonly called "Vikon" chicken or "Buddhist style chicken". Free range, heritage breed, sold head-and-feet-intact.
There is no way to confirm this now as China does have the right to legally export chicken to the US and they do not have to say so on the label. So I will avoid buying any meat from an asian grocery store from now on.
>>
>>7502230
Well, the packaging for the chicken clearly states it was raised and slaughtered in the US, with the USDA inspection stamp and so on.

I have two of these marinading for piri piri chicken as we speak. Brand name is "Shun Tu Jee", produced by Hillstern Farms / Arkadelphia Poultry.

I have no problem believing that's legitimate given that it's very expensive to ship refrigerated cargo overseas. These birds cost $12 each. There's no way that price is high enough to include the cost of refrigerated transport from China.

Let me guess. Now you're going to say that someone faked the packaging and it's all lies, right?
>>
>>7502247
Chicken raised in China can have a USDA inspection stamp on it as well as that is they only way it can be exported here. I am not sure if they can say it was raised in the US if they just package it here but I do know for certain that if something is produced in China but packaged in the US they can say it was made in the US. Economy of scale is what makes everything from China so cheap, if you have a cargo freighter full of something it is very cheap on a per unit basis. Eating anything produced in Arkansas or Missouri is a bad idea due to the arsenic levels present in the soil that then gets transferred to anything food related produced there.
>>
>>7502300
>I do know for certain that if something is produced in China but packaged in the US they can say it was made in the US.

Nope. that's been illegal since more than a century ago. Tariff act of 1890, better known as the McKinley Tariff act. The import taxes for certain goods isn't the point here, but rather than the country of origin of goods must be labeled on the good itself. This is the law that requires those "made in ____" stickers/labels/etc to be stuck on imported goods, and it applies to all goods including food.

the loophole you seem to be thinking of would only be if the product itself were changed. For example, someone could import fruit from china and then could use that fruit to make jam in the US, and that finished product could then be labeled "made in the USA". But there is no change in the product when shipping a chicken over.

>>blah blah arsenic
Good thing that testing for that sort of thing is part of the FDA approval of the plant as well as USDA testing.

What silly excuse are you going to make up now? This isn't an argument bro, I'm trying to help you by pointing out that there more economical sources of good chicken than you might realize.
>>
>>7502318
>This isn't an argument bro

no anon it clearly is
that guy just wants to have the last word no matter what
leave it be
>>
>>7502318
>the loophole you seem to be thinking of would only be if the product itself were changed. For example, someone could import fruit from china and then could use that fruit to make jam in the US, and that finished product could then be labeled "made in the USA". But there is no change in the product when shipping a chicken over.
Well that is good to hear.

>Good thing that testing for that sort of thing is part of the FDA approval of the plant as well as USDA testing.
Luckily the USDA is grossly understaffed when it comes to people who go around and check production facilities. The arsenic thing is well known, in fact the rice produced from that area was just recently making national news for high levels of arsenic.
>>
File: airbrushed-jersey-cow-face.jpg (1 MB, 5616x3744) Image search: [Google]
airbrushed-jersey-cow-face.jpg
1 MB, 5616x3744
>>7490003
I always buy the gold top milk (Jersey cow) because it's rich, creamy and nommie, not like that pale piss water the plebs buy. I'm glad we still have lots of Jersey herds in the UK.
>>
>>7499350
>True, but we're not living in the days of nomadic animal husbandry.
Stop triggering me.
Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.