[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Received a Calphalon stainless steel set for Christmas. How do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1891242_001.jpg (19 KB, 448x334) Image search: [Google]
1891242_001.jpg
19 KB, 448x334
Received a Calphalon stainless steel set for Christmas. How do I properly care for these so they don't look like shit after a few months?
>>
Nake sure to let it cool completely before washing. Do not use steel wool. At most, use the abrasive side of the sponge. If there is some really stuck-on stuff pour in some water to fill the pot to about 1/3, then relentlessly boil while scraping the stuff with a nonmetallic utensil. Use Bar Keeper's Friend when you want to restore shine.
>>
>>7201856
Exactly this. Also, don't be lazy and put them in the dishwasher, hand wash and air or towel dry after using.
>>
Never use metal cooking utensils in any of them. If anyone approaches your cookware with metal utensils, stab them with a knife, and explain that if you'd used a wooden spoon on them, it wouldn't have left a mark.
>>
>>7202965
Will metal mark these badly? Will it damage the function, or just appearance?

I've just upgraded from non-stick to stainless myself and was looking forward to being able to scrape my fonds nicely.
>>
>>7201745
You're worse than the fuckers over at /k/ who buy thousands of dollars worth of gear and don't use it because they don't want to get it dirty.
>>
>>7203103
>how do I properly care for my possessions?

Yeah man OP is a real shitter
>>
>>7203067
I have an all-clad stainless pan and using metal utensils doesn't seem to do shit to it. but all-clad is one of the higher quality pans, I'm not sure about calphalon. not trying to sound like a snooty dick, just saying. its probably best to use wooden spoons. and honestly I almost never use metal in mine anyway, sometimes a big metal spoon to stir and thats about it. dont have a metal spatula.
>>
>>7203160
the cooking surface is going to be about the same material, with the core being different.
they're tools for cooking, not serving dishes. even if you managed to make a scratch in it it wouldn't hurt it as a tool.
and calaphon pans aren't going to be the last pans you ever buy. they're going to warp.
>>
>>7201745
Never use metal on metal. Like a do stir some scrambled eggs with a fork, use a rubber spatula. Also to avoid scorching them and causing discoloration don't cook on high heats unless there is sufficient liquid in the pot/pan.
>>
File: 1416659025279.jpg (33 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1416659025279.jpg
33 KB, 604x453
>treating stainless steel with the same level of care as nonstick

I use stainless all the time and having exposed pieces to steel wool, metal utensils, and extended periods of direct flame, the only apparent wear seems to be aesthetic (though steel wool can usually lift any stains they pick up if you rub it long enough). We're talking about the stuff that holds up skyscrapers. And I don't experience issues of food sticking to it. I'm not saying you're altogether wrong, but I just speculate that doing everything "wrong" might shorten the lifespan of the piece from like 10 years to 9 years and 11 months.
>>
>>7201862
Fuck that, I have that set and they do fine in the dishwasher. If they get really grody just use baking soda or, if all else fails, Barkeeper's.
>>
>>7201745
make sure to preheat pan well before cooking eggs.
>>
>mfw people are afraid of putting stainless steel pans in the dishwasher
It won't damage them.
Also
>no metal on metal
That's wrong too.
>>
>>7204321
Yeah one of the huge advantages of using metals pans is that you CAN use metal utensils. How else are you supposed to scrape up your fond?

And if you couldn't use metal utensils in a metal pan... Where would you? Why would such utensils even be sold?
>>
>>7204298
Thanks sexy-dolphin desu senpai
>>
>>7204421
>I-I-I don't wanna scratch the steel!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.