[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ please help, I need to cook a whole chicken and I have no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: chicken.jpg (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
4 KB, 275x183
/ck/ please help, I need to cook a whole chicken and I have no idea what I'm doing. Advice on how to cook it?
>>
Roast at 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6 -whole chicken: 25 minutes per 500g, plus an extra 25 minutes.

Literally just put in oven on baking sheet.
optional: veggies underneath, lemon up its arse
>>
Loosely separate the skin from the breast and stuff sage butter up there.
>>
>>7196679
Go to YouTube
Watch Thomas Keller prep a roast chicken
Done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4
>>
>>7196725

>sage

It's not thanksgiving any more. You're trying to make his chicken taste like a turkey.
>>
File: yea man.png (28 KB, 957x751) Image search: [Google]
yea man.png
28 KB, 957x751
>>7196679

Let Jacques Pepin explain how to truss, then cook the chicken..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxlcSzMOG9o

then watch the results here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJy7QK3jX4g
>>
>>7196679

You have a roasting pan? You have twine? You have rosemary and shallots?

Lightly salt the cavity w kosher salt. Loosely stuff roughly chopped shallots with a sprig of rosemary. Don't overdo it.

Truss the bird. Tie the legs together, leave enough twine to wrap around the wings and hold them to the carcass. Rub the bird lightly with olive oil (I like avocado oil).

LIGHTLY sprinkle kosher salt on the oiled bird, like a light dusting of snow. Do not overdo it.

Place prepped bird on a roasting rack in your roasting pan. Figure not more than an hour at 400, maybe less. Use an instant-read thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh to check. You want to get close to 155F. Don't bother basting.

Whoever had the idea of rubbing sage and butter under the skin, then replacing the skin, has a great idea.

Let the bird rest, make pan gravy. Eat.
>>
>>7196753
>implying sage doesn't go gloriously with poultry at anytime of the year.

why do you think all poultry seasonings mostly smell like sage
>>
>>7196725
>separate the skin from the breast
>stuff sage butter up there
suddenlyboner.exe
>>
File: 287466377799.jpg (380 KB, 709x998) Image search: [Google]
287466377799.jpg
380 KB, 709x998
>>7196786

>using premixed poultry seasoning
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 486x353) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 486x353
>>7196679
Toss it in a slow cooker with onions carrots and potatoes (no liquid necessary). Lid on, turn to high, ready in about 4 1/2 hours.
>>
Roasted Chicken
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced yellow onion
1 yellow onion, quartered
4 pound whole chicken
Mix together the spices and rub chicken under and on top of skin. Place quartered onions in cavity and place in baking dish. Chill overnight if possible.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cover or flip during cooking if desired. Cook 1 hour 45 minutes and let rest 10 minutes before carving.

i always put my chicken in the oven upside down first (with the breast down) and then flip it half way thru because that keeps the breast meat moist. you don't have to do this. however, you should either stuff the cavity with onions/veg or tie the legs together because if you don't it can dry the meat out.

good luck op!
>>
>>7197163
>a slow cooker

I LIKE BEANS WITH KETCHUP
>>
>>7196779

How do I make pan gravy?
>>
>>7197212

After you've rested your meat it'll have bled out loads of liquid fat and moisture. To that add a shallot, butter and sherry...season with salt and pepper to taste. Make a slurry with corn flour and water, add to gravy and whisk until thickened.

Strain when done. Then serve.
>>
>>7197212
Take roasted meat trimmings with herbs, garlic, onions. Simmer in stock. Mix with a roux if needed for thickening.
>>
>>7197219
>>7197222

Thanks.
>>
>>7196772
>tfw I get to call this man by his first name and see him on a daily basis
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.