[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Heaty, my 1943 American Standard Radiator Company furnace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: my living room.jpg (95 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
my living room.jpg
95 KB, 1280x853
So Heaty, my 1943 American Standard Radiator Company furnace heater just crapped out on me overnight. There's still a flame, but there's oddly no heat coming up through the flue/chimney/whatever nor through the steam pipes and into my radiators.

To help take my mind off the freezing cold and in memorandum of old Heaty's 72+ years of service, let's have a thread about foods that warm you right up, body and soul while I either find a repairs guy who won't fleece me or shop online for a new heater from Home Depot or Lowes, pay for delivery and have it installed.

Pic related. It's what my house looks like right now.
>>
File: 201505171935.jpg (735 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
201505171935.jpg
735 KB, 2240x1344
Here's something I made nearly a year ago. Baby chicken and sticky rice soup with leek and green cabbage.
Help keep me warm, friendos.
>>
>>7444288
Good luck bro, I know it sucks without beat

If you've got a microwave, boil water for tea! Curl up under the mound of blankets you surely have! Sleep!
>>
>>7444829
The gas still works just fine, just the heater that's fucked. Well, actually not, as it turns out.

The repairsguy came and said the heater is working fine and that it's the thermostat that's fucked and that I need to contact an electrician.
I did.
The electrician wants to charge an arm and a leg for emergency service because it's a Sunday, so my nose grew three sizes and a hook just then and I said I'll call someone else.
A different electrician is coming tomorrow morning.

I'm slow-simmering a brisket and some tails right now for dinner tonight. That's helping to keep the house a little warmer, at least.
>>
>>7445561
Don't you have friends? Just stay at someone else's place until tomorrow.
>>
Liquor soup
>>
>>7445618
Heh, wouldja believe that I didn't even consider that? I seriously feel fucking stupid to not have thought to call a friend.
Well, bit too late for that now, I guess. There're still another couple hours to go for my brisket and tails to be done and by the time I finish eating it, it'll be just about bedtime. Since I turn off the heat at night to sleep in the cold, anyway, I'll just stay in. Feeling seriously retarded for not thinking of that, though.

Anyway, post warming foods, dammit.

>>7445649
I poured myself a couple of dirty vodka martinis, but that's got little to do with the cold.
>>
Corn and crab bisque. This shit will keep you warm at night.
>>
Hot toddy yo
>>
>>7444288
Is that an actual picture of your house right now?
>>
>>7445938
Yes. OP literally lives in the ice hotel. Probably a good thing that his furnace stopped working.
>>
>>7444288

If you don't see steam in the boiler room your pigtail is clogged or you lost a part of the return line somewhere due to old age. I'd bet money on it.

either one is pretty easy to fix, but you'll have to get the parts online. any plumber is going to soak you for the price of a new heater and labor
>>
>>7445861
I just made some, less crab, the other night. I fucking love corn chowder.
My tails and brisket was pretty fucking delicious. I made the stock weeks ago from roasted, quartered knees and just cooked the brisket and tails in it for five hours.

>>7446286
The repair guy that was here said that it's an electrical problem with the thermostat. I have a deal with the gas company. I pay them $10 extra per month and they will make all repairs directly related to the gas line necessary as they occur, less buying a whole new heater or something like that. Pretty nice set up, I think.
>>
>>7446436
can't you just bypass the thermostat and cross the wires physically and make it turn on high then unhook it once it's warmer in there?
>>
>>7447474
I've no aptitude for sorcery and no knowledge of how man put sky-fire into three holes in my wall.
Basically, since I don't know jackmotherfuckingshit about electricity, I'm not gonna try it. And the electrician's gonna be here in under an hour.

Oatmeal warms you right up, so I'm having some. With raisins, pecans and maple syrup. Goddamn, I love oatmeal.

>Captcha: select the drinks
>pick a strawberry shake and a glass of orange juice
>"please select all pictures"
>pick a plate of Vietnamese spring rolls with a bowl of fish sauce
>verified
>>
File: images-1.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>7444300
>baby chicken
Savage
>>
>>7447587
Not that much of a baby!
Ever have a cornish hen? That soup was made with a poussin, which is similar to, but even smaller than a cornish hen.
>>
>>7444288
Out of curiosity, what type of heating system do you have, and how common is it in you're country (I am assuming you are north american)? The most common type of central heating in private homes here in Sweden is oil, pellet or wood fired furnaces that heat water that is transported through radiators. Some peoplr have gas or heat pump heated water radiator systems also. A canadian friend said that he rarely saw water transported heating systems in canada, and that people instead had some kind of hot air heating system with gas heating air that is transported around the house through ducts. I've never seen that kind of system here though.
>>
Chocolate, and cayenne.
>>
I wish it was cooler here, I'm sweating my balls off under a ceiling fan and will probably get no sleep tonight and no chance of sleeping in tomorrow morning because of this fucking heat.
>>
Electrician got here about a half hour ago. He's still working. I'm gonna have him install some GFCIs while he's here, too. Been meaning to do that.

>>7447623
I live in the US but I'm not from here.
My system uses steam/water warmed by gas that moves through radiators and escapes via chimney. Newer construction (my house dates back to the late 1800s) tends to have what is called 'forced air heating,' which is the sort the Canadian was talking about. Forced air is convenient because the same system can be used for both heating and cooling while mine can be used only for heating. I use window units for A/C.

I know one house on my street has oil heating and before I bought this house, I was looking at one that also used oil heating (fucking loved that house but I was outbid). Oil heating also uses water/steam and radiators but the service may differ here from what you're familiar with. WIth oil heating, you buy your oil directly from an oil company which delivers it by truck to your house once a year and pumps it into your oil tank. Is it done the same way in Sweden or is it brought in by direct line?

>>7447640
I can't sleep in the heat. Even in the dead of winter. I turn off the heating at night when I go to sleep. In the summer, I set my A/C to full blast. I never turn it on otherwise. I like the heat.

>>7447628
Like hot chocolate? I make mine from a 1:1 mix of half-and-half and skim milk for 5.5% butterfat, heat it up, melt in some grated chocolate and sweeten it to taste.
>>
File: What Jesus.png (82 KB, 393x382) Image search: [Google]
What Jesus.png
82 KB, 393x382
>>7444829
>If you've got a microwave, boil water for tea
>>
A nice hot mug of Bovril has kept the cold away for generations.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.