[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General meat slicer thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: crapshoot-o.png (197 KB, 1060x407) Image search: [Google]
crapshoot-o.png
197 KB, 1060x407
well... what did i expect?

I dreamt of paper thin slices of prosciutto and thought i could do it with a shitty christmas sale slicer.

got this thing for $50. first of all, it's made of plastic and sucks. Second, the blade is undulated (wavy) instead of flat.

i tried to slice some prosciutto and it just shredded it up.

how much does a decent slicer that can actually slice prosciutto cost? And please don't meme me with your Berkel prosciutto slicer, that thing is like 2-3 grand.

Anyone have a meat slicer at home?
>>
>>7216414
I got one for Christmas that came out of the finger hut catalog. Used it two times maybe, sits on top of my fridge and collects dust
>>
>>7216414

if you want a meat slicer that lasers through meats and cheeses like the ones at the deli, you're going to need a commercial model, because no one bother to make a decent residential model because not enough weirdos buy them for home use

600 dollars minimum for a good one (new). fortunately at the rate you'll use it, it'll last your whole life and probably your kids too
>>
>>7216491

I am a weirdo, huh. I am dreaming ahead though - one day I will have my own curing room, where i will make all kinds of salumi and age my own ham and then i will slice them proper.

But for the moment I'm just gonna get my ass kicked by my girlfriend for WTF DO YOU NEED A FOOD SLICER YOU IDIOT?!

I just bought some prosciutto... and actually told the deli guy to NOT slice it.

> Eh, Tony! This guy says he wants a "block" of prociutto... do we do that?

I got interrogated on why exactly i would want to do such weird thing and I had to admit it.
>>
>>7216513
top kek, thats pretty autismal
>>
>>7216608

Yeah, well after spending like 2 hours online for meat slicers, I realize this is less of reality and more fantasy, so since the sky is the limit...

What's a great commercial meat slicer? Berkel? Hobart? Any others?
>>
Why not look for a used commerical kitchen supply place so many places go out of business with new equipment. As far as shredding that prosciutto try to go a little thicker some times its the consistency of the meat that makes it shredd instead of cut.
>>
>>7216921
Was going to say this.
Find your local restaurant supply OP.
Don't give up on the dream
>>
>>7216879
Get rid of that girlfriend of yours and save up for a Hobart.
>>
I think the cheapest one that can give you reasonably sliced prosciutto is a Chefs Choice 632 - $300 new at Costco, a lot cheaper used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EffdG7KZTHg

I'd love to have a meat slicer - I have a bunch of meat curing in my fridge right now - but they are really bulky and unless your diet is almost exclusively deli meats or you have a giant kitchen, it probably doesn't make that much sense.
>>
>>7216921
>>7216936

ok ill check out a restaraunt supply shop.

and regarding slicing the prosciutto a little thicker.... that's not an option. That's the entire point of getting a slicer... to make it see-through thin.
>>
>>7217015

cool, thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah... i don't even have my own kitchen
> facepalm
>>
>>7217025
Yea but I meant adjust small increments, sometimes the turkey we get is weird and it goes from thin to shred in a milimeter
>>
You need a straight blade. My mom got one for Christmas and it came with two, one wavy and one straight.
>>
after working in restaurant kitchens for six years ill just say this If you haven't had experience in a professional kitchen i wouldn't recommend using a meat slicer...just seeing people use & clean these things has caused more gore than anything on /b/...i saw a girl literally slice her hand down the middle & another guy tear the meat off of his hand to the point where you could see the bones in his palm...but if you still want to use a meat slicer I recommend you buy a metal cut glove before you do anything with it
>>
>>7217780

This is why in America, you have "Warning: HOT" written on coffee cups.

I think I know a giant blade is sharp, and will take extra precautions when using it. And cleaning it.... how do you even manage to mame yourself with the damn machine OFF.

I guess after that metal cut glove I need a giant plastic bubble to live in, because the outside world's full of hazards, even more-so than the kitchen.
>>
>>7216414
that machine advertises it's only capable of a minimum thickness of 5 mm, which is probably twice as thick as the thickest prosciutto you'd want to slice. If you want reliable, thin slicing, you need a better blade and/or better machine
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (98 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
98 KB, 1920x1080
>>7216513
It's a little weird.
>>
File: o.jpg (79 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
79 KB, 700x525
Back when I worked at a deli I put my dick in the meat slicer.

We both lost our jobs
>>
>>7218498
>This is why in America, you have "Warning: HOT" written on coffee cups

You're either retarded or just stupid. The warning on hot beverages is keep corporations from being sued because some idoit didn't remember he ordered a hot beverage
>>
I had a meat slicer for a while in my household but my dad sold it one day to make rent, was a sad day
>>
>>7218742
took me a long time to understand
>>
>>7216414

few thousand dollars for a decent, real "professional" slicer.

and then after you shell out them bucks, maintenance is a pain in the ass.

unless you want to sell prosciutto I'd just buy it pre-sliced
>>
>>7216414
I had that slicer and it sucked on prosciutto. But it was great on meat. Thin pork chops from cheap loin. Slicing of steaks from the end of a roast.
>>
>>7216414
What's the point of slicing it? Just hold the whole sausage in your hand and take bites from it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.