[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overpriced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: porkbellysammich.jpg (355 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
porkbellysammich.jpg
355 KB, 1600x1200
What foods do you find overpriced?

Gotta say, as much as I enjoy Pork Belly it is fucking ridiculously over priced. Was gonna buy some to make some Pork Belly sandwiches this weekend but I could've bought two legs of lamb for what they were charging.

Duck is another one I love that's really overpriced but that may be due to difficult farming or something. Wouldn't have thought so though because it's dirt cheap in Asia.
>>
>>7834596
That sort of thing depends greatly on where you live.

In my area (Texas), pork belly is very cheap.

Ducks are expensive. I assume that's because duck is not commonly eaten around here--it's only really a thing around holidays, and even then it competes with turkey, roast beef, etc. Also, a lot of people go duck hunting, so I assume that's where they get their duck meat from rather than shopping.

Also, I do happen to know from a friend of mine who raises animals that ducks eat a lot more feed per finished weight than chickens do so they are more expensive to raise.
>>
>pork belly
>costs more than lamb
Aussie? Cuz pork belly is dirt-fucking-cheap here in Ameriland. I can get it for $2.49/lb at the supermarket nearest my house.

>duck
>expensive
Not so much. Duck breast costs a lot here ($5.99/lb), but leg quarters ($1.99/lb) and wings ($1.29) are way cheaper. Wings have no meat to them, so I use them only for making stock, but then I use that stock plus the legs to make various duck dishes. Duck curry is nice.
Whole duck is $2.49/lb, but I seldom buy it.
>>
>>7834603
>Aussie?

Yup.

Lamb leg has recently had a price drop nationwide lead by the major supermarkets dropping it to $9 a kg.

>Whole duck is $2.49/lb, but I seldom buy it.

Neither do and it's actually quite reasonably priced here to, at least compared to breasts which are also expensive as fuck. I've always wanted to roast a duck but never have. No idea why. Might have to do that next weekend.
>>
>>7834596
>Duck is another one I love that's really overpriced but that may be due to difficult farming or something
Not only is it more expensive because it's not as farmed, but it takes more to make duck taste good, especially if you want the crispy skin
>>
>>7834624
I never found crispy skin on duck to be much of a challenge desu, it's just a prerequisite really. Although I've only ever cooked them for myself. If you were cooking a few for a group of people I'm sure it' be far more difficult.
>>
>>7834615
Where in Aussieland? I've family in Perth.

My favourite way to roast duck is stuffed with shallots and small, tart apples. I only do it in late autumn/early winter. I make an apple duck gravy by cooking those cheap wings I mentioned in a 1:1 mix of apple juice and water to make the stock, mix it with a jus deglazed from the duck's roasting pan using cider, then use the rendered duckfat to make a dark roux for the gravy, which I compound with minced leeks.
Serve it with eggy peas, caraway-butter carrots with onion, sautéed beetroot and "stove top" potatoes (the word for the technique translates literally as "cooked on the hob," but can also mean 'stewed,'which isn't quite right because there's not much liquid used).

Traditional food is the tits, Ozfriend.
>>
>>7834646
Other side of the country. Melbournefag.

>Traditional food is the tits

It sure is
>>
>>7834596
I does not just depend on where you live, but on where you shop.

If I shop at the supermarket it seems like everything is overpriced compared to the Chinese, Middle Eastern and Mexican markets in my neighborhood.
>>
File: d2526.jpg (16 KB, 169x237) Image search: [Google]
d2526.jpg
16 KB, 169x237
>>7834658
>Melbourne
>>
>>7834662
Melbourne is a brilliant place to live and the best city in Australia. Granted it has a lot of insufferable assholes but so does everywhere in the world.
>>
>>7834661
Except dairy and decent beef. Beef is cheaper at the chain supermarkets and dairy is so expensive at minority stores that those prices ought to be a fuckng crime.
>>
>>7834596

Canadian here, pork belly is like 4 bucks a pound retail, about 2.50 a pound wholesale, considering how expensive food is in canada thats actually quite cheap.

Lamb shanks cost around 4 bucks a shank as well, 5.50 retail
>>
Skirt steak is stupid hard to get and then costs as much as a strip when I find it. I just want to make my steak sandwiches and fajitas man.
>>
>>7834712
Depends on the quality. I don't buy cheap beef or dairy. I don't eat either on a regular basis, but don't consider $25/lb for a great dry aged steak or amazing artisan cheese overpriced. But I never waste my money on cheap cheese or ground beef, so I don't mind spending extra for the good stuff every now and then.
>>
>>7834599

This.

In my country pork belly is probably the cheapest part of the pig.

Pig feet and pig tail is hardly cheaper than the ready to eat picnic hams but poor people think they are getting a deal because it is a hair cheaper.

That said salted pig tail is hard to beat in a pea soup
>>
>>7834746
Milk costs 50% more at mudrace markets than normal stores and beef is shittier quality but more expensive.
No one was meant artisan cheese or dry aged steak. No one.
>>
>>7834746
Shut the fuck up.

No one's talking about dry-aged steak and artisanal cheese and you fucking knew it, you cum-farting dick-holster.
>>
>>7834741
Skirt, flank, and flat iron is all around 9 a pound right now. Thanks to the hipster chef and hipster douche bags who think over priced meat is fancy.
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 187x270) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 187x270
I don't eat these but a 11 ounce bag costs more than a pound of ground beef.
Beef: $3.67/lb
Doritos: ~$6.10/lb
>>
>>7834988
Tenderloin is either $9 or $10/lb this week at my local supermarket, same price as skirt. Ri-fucking-diculous.
>>
File: cheapaspenis.png (113 KB, 1057x332) Image search: [Google]
cheapaspenis.png
113 KB, 1057x332
>Pork Belly it is fucking ridiculously over priced
You're an idiot

and this is the expensive processed supermarket slices
>>
>>7835212
Is this what Brits call uncured bacon?
>>
>>7835219
British bacon is far superior to american and eastern european bacon, which is basically just strips of that picture.

Bacon is made from belly fat though, yes.
>>
>>7834690
>cultural and sporting capital of australia
>and we will remind you every chance we can
>did you know we used to be the capital
>>
>>7835234
If you think UKican bacon > USican bacon, you go ahead and enjoy it. I'll do the opposite. I prefer American bacon to Brit bacon. Not quite sure I know why, but I do.
>>
Maple syrup might be the most expensive stuff in the store
>>
>>7835296
>If you think UKican bacon > USican bacon, you go ahead and enjoy it.
Objectively it's both higher quality and has far more flavour
You likely enjoy american (or what brits would call streaky bacon) more because you've been eating it your whole life

Personally I use both for different purposes. Strip/streaky bacon is great for cooking and dicing where you want fat and flavour and don't care too much about quality or texture.
>>
>>7835313
>whole life
Nope.
Not from America, friend-o, and I had Brit bacon long before I tried American bacon. I didn't thunk much of it then, either. But hey: nice conjecture, bro. Do it again.
Simply put, I just don't like Brit bacon for whatever reason. Even British streaky bacon I just don't like as much as American bacon.
Wish I could expand on it further, but I can't, really. Just prefer one over the other.

As for quality, there's shitty quality on both sides of the pond just as there's good quality. All things being equal in terms of quality, I will prefer American bacon v British bacon ten times of ten.

>texture
Texturally, British bacon is basically a slice of ham and, in fact, in my country, it would be sold as such (and is, actually).
>>
>>7834596
Prok belly has hit meme status the last couple years, along with shanks, shin, cheek, shoulder etc, all the secondary slow cooking cuts that used to be cheap because no body wanted them, supply vs demand.
I remember a time when the butcher would give away lamb shanks for peoples dogs, now that shit is twice the price of chicken breast.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.