[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FanimeCon 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: fanime-2013-logo.png (173 KB, 393x356) Image search: [Google]
fanime-2013-logo.png
173 KB, 393x356
AA has finally got their emails out but still no updates on hotels.

Meanwhile Fanime Music has a twitter poll asking if people are okay with JP inspired bands rather than full on Japanese guests. Personally I would hope they could get at least one good Japan artist and cover bands are fine. Fucking better to play music we recognize rather than mainstream bullshit like the 2013(?) masq opening.
>>
>>8849712
First time going to fanime, what hotel is the best
>>
What the fuck fanime. What the fuck kind of question is that. They are only allowable as supplemental and not a replacement for actual Japanese guests.

>>8849719
Any of the ones that are near the convention center and not near the airport or some shit
>>
>>8849712
Fanime no

It's the easy way out, but absolutely the worst. It's cringy as fuck. I've always looked forward to Fanime, even during some of its delayed years, to deliver at least one decent Japanese guest. And they even have some decent seiyuus considering how most West Coast cons pander to American VA and "inspired bands".

I'm pretty sure ALA didn't have any Japanese guests this year, not that I go to ALA for guests, but it kind of tells you that we're in serious need of good guests from Japan that you don't have to pay 50+ for a VIP AX shit badge for.
>>
>>8849719
Try for the 2 hotels that are connected directly to the left and right of the convention center that Fanime is held in: the Mariott or the Hilton. Those usually sell out first so if you can't snag either of them the Hyatt Place is the next best option. It's right across the street of the convention center and is the cheaper alternative from the 3 I've listed.
>>
>>8849712
wtf fanime......if it wasn't for this hotel bullshit i'd be fucking ghosting. honestly sounds like they've done fuck all to work on improving the con....
>>
>>8849712
Isn't fanime just the "I'm too poor for AX" con?
>>
>>8850027
The only thing cheaper is hotels.
Personally, I end up paying more for Fanime because it's so much further from me and I have fewer friends to go with.
>>
>>8850027
More like the "Dear god I can't even move at AX" con.
>>
File: Lolol.jpg (31 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
Lolol.jpg
31 KB, 500x313
>>8849712
Even if they grabbed lesser bands that could play every OP and ED of last season, it's still not going to be as popular as a Japanese band that has one single.

>>8849719
It's going to be whatever you can get. Fanime rooms go fast.

>>8850027
I go because all my college friends that can't afford going to AX go. And it's chill. AX is more go go go.

I'm not on social media. Is Fanime doing anything to help the masquerade and hotel housing this year? Or another year of incompetence
>>
>>8850027
Fanime is the con you go to for photos, friends, and not caring about guests. Basically it's West coast Katsucon (or is Katsucon East coast Fanime?). AX is for guests, massive lines, and no photos besides hall shots.
>>
>>8850195
>no masq announcements
>haven't even released hotel pricing
seems like another year of incompetence
>>
File: xypelAu.gif (1010 KB, 500x248) Image search: [Google]
xypelAu.gif
1010 KB, 500x248
>>8850400
>>
>>8850400
>Fanime
>getting their shit together
>when they know that we'll all come anyway even if it's total dogshit
>we brought it on ourselves

the only reason this con managed to get this far is because it's in the SF Bay Area and we pretty much go to everyfuckingthing
>>
Also, if I live in Menlo Park, should I still get a hotel or just drive/ride caltrain everyday?

Does anything happen even happen at night there?
>>
UNREST IN PIECES, FANIME
>>
>>8850460
Hey, we're actually driving everyday from Menlo Park, and did last year as well.
Only thing at night are parties, so if you want to get turnt you might need a DD, but otherwise the drive is pretty doable.
>>
>>8850460
some people party. if you're not partying then no real reason to be there overnight. you can still easily drive home even if it's 2 or 3 am and come back in the morning.
>>
>>8849719
Fairmont and Four points
>>
>>8850400
>seems like another year of incompetence

>improved AA
>Better use of space
>Total elimination of badge lines

yeah, total incompetence
>>
>>8852003
>garbage masq organization and execution
>no guest announcements
>everything done at the last minute and poorly

they fixed reg and expect to ride on that laurel alone?!

also i was a bit disappointed with AA last year, as there wer almost no crafters....it was all print art.
>>
>>8852018
It's part of a trend as even cons like AX and a few others are pushing crafters out of the AA

>they fixed reg and expect to ride on that laurel alone?!

They fixed con walk traffic, give fans freendom to host their own fan events, improved swap meet, gave panels bigger rooms and keep their stuff running on time.
>>
anyone else apply for modeling at the fashion show?
>>
>>8852027
it's kind of sad things like "running on time" and "having short reg lines" is a perk at conventions. that's a leg up they have on AX at least. "we're on time, even if we have nothing for you to see on time!"
>>
>>8852118
Cons are notoriously late with shit.

> "we're on time, even if we have nothing for you to see on time!"

24 hour video rooms
24 hour arcade and game room
24 hour programming at Stage zero
Con center doesn't close and attendees come up with entertaining events.

I've seen

>Pikachu volleyball
>Impressive breakdancing battles
>A giant 60+ group playing King's Game. Hell the con even allowed them to build a giant statue on the stage (pic related)
>Gigantic games of Ninja being played where everyone was just dodging and posing
>Circles of attendees surrounding a huge tower of Jenga blocks

These events could not happen at other cons
>>
>>8852270
This. I love Fanime for the reason that I don't care much about the bands anyways and I go for more of the random shit as well as the 24 hour rooms. Especially the game room. The best game room I have ever attended at a convention.
>>
>>8852098
I was looking at that. Anyone have more info about it?
>>
>>8852270
>a bunch of fucking weeb games being played by narustuckuniversetumblr fucks because the con sucks
>still whines that the con sucks despite being let to play their autistic games.

And you wonder why the con has no motivation to schedule shit for you asstards?
>>
>>8852118
basically this....running on time s NOT a fucking perk. maybe i'm just spoiled by dcon, who tensd to be on time with most events.
>>
>>8852841
Lol they have no motivation because they aren't getting paid and the turnover of staff is ridiculous so no one stick around to work with what they've learned from previous years.
>>
>>8852018
I wanted to see more crafters too, but at least some artists had pouches and non-print things available.

>>8852582
>>8852098
I did it last year and it was fun! It was pretty well-organized, although I have no idea how the actual panel before the fashion show went. The room was also huge and packed with people.
>>
>>8852841
>a bunch of fucking weeb games being played by narustuckuniversetumblr fucks because the con sucks

Is that any better than weebs waiting in lines constantly to get to see high profile guests and just standing around the con doing nothing in between?

I don't think this is a compliment bro
>>
>>8852841
>>8852118
You go to Fanime for the antics and social atmosphere.

If you want guests then hit up AX, Comic Con, Wondercon and Sac Anime
>>
File: 1454660624040.png (202 KB, 416x500) Image search: [Google]
1454660624040.png
202 KB, 416x500
>>8852929
>hitting up succanime
>>
>>8853057
I don't get too many chances to see Kevin Conroy in CA
>>
>>8852922
Keeps the weebs....
*sunglasses*
In line.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH
>>
>>8849712
>JP inspired bands
You mean cringy gaijins?
Dam and I was really hoping Rookies is Punk'd to be back this year.
What a load of shit. Fanime sucks more every year and my alcohol consumption increases during.
>>
>>8852929
I agree. I go to Fanime because of the stuff they offer, things being open 24hrs, the video rooms, STAGE ZERO. I don't just like it because it's a local con, but I've been to other cons. I especially hate Anime Expo. Their DR is cool and all, but AA and Arcade are nothing compared to Fanime and the layout of that convention center in LA is so crappy. I could never find any panels and they fucking overcrowded it again. Then again, I don't go for guests or for the music fest crap. I go for friends, photoshoots, hanging out, and just doing random shit that one weekend out of the year because I'm working most of the time otherwise. They kiddie weebs really aren't that everywhere. They have their areas an they usually stay in those areas. Let it be the park or some corner of the gaming hall or hanging out in the overhang indoor balconies. They really don't get in the way.
>>
>>8853367
>my alcohol consumption increases
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>8853427
>stage zero
>a bunch of attention whore burnt out wannabe idols advertising their patreons and gofundmes.

Yup, I totes go for stage zero....
>>
>>8853453
Ive never seen that. LOL You actually sound like someone who has never been to fanime or even stayed past 4pm at the convention center.
>>
>>8853500
idol wannabe detected

5pm-5:15pm – Angel Hearts Presents THE IDOLM@STER

lets also talk about Fanimaid.....

Who is the one that has never been to Fanime again?
>>
>>8853534
Fanimaid is a WHOLE other thing and all conventions have maid cafes. They all dance, they all have shows that their maids perform at. If that is the only thing you are talking about then you really have no clue what Fanime does with Stage Zero. No one showcases their patreons or gofundmes or anything like that up there. It's frowned upon and the MCs will kick you off.
>>
>>8853534

I think you're taking your expectations and looking for proof rather than forming expectations from actual proof. They have people to in stage to perform, in the 5 years I've gone, nobody, not even actual businesses (like dance or karate dojo/studios) have pimped themselves out on stage Zero. The most they get is a name drop in their introduction, then they perform, and that's it.

Stage Zero also has some neat stuff like playing the winners of the various contests like AMV, game shows, and the like. I won a figurine of Old Snake a few years back playing some quiz show.
>>
>>8853627
Ive gotten 4th place and then my 12 year old sister has gotten 2nd place in their 4 player quiz shows. Those are my favorite Stage Zero events.
>>
>>8850027
fanime is the "only game in (norcal) town*" con

*that isn't fucking terrible like sacanime
>>
>>8853662
I love the game show but it does make me sad at the state of people's knowledge of anime these days. The first night is always great because that's when the hardcore people show up, but then they can't compete again so by day three he's playing the synonym game and people can't guess what "Nautical Lunar" is supposed to be.
>>
>>8854150
From what I notice it isn't old school friendly. I personally don't watch very many new shows. I'm behind in the loop unless it is gore, sports, or non-moe all female cast shows [I hate Love Live and Idol M@aster. These shows are cancer.]
>>
>>8854150
>>8854260
yup, the game shows are not old school friendly AT ALL. i was in the shoujo game last year and thee were ZERO questions asked about classic shoujo. oldest anime mentioned was fruits basket, which is not that old. no sailor moon, CLAMP series, rose of versailles, not even fucking UTENA which is the shoujo-est of shoujo. it was all recent shit that i don't watch because it's awful.
>>
>>8849719
I actually really like the Doubletree, but it's like a 5-10 minute drive from it to the con if you have a car, and a shuttle ride if you don't. It's nice to be away from the con when you want to be, there are way more food options, and free cookies are pretty rad.
>>
Preliminary hotel info is up and I guess emails with specific booking times are going on soon?

https://staging.cmrhousing.com/fanime2016/gp/INFO/Housing/ResHotel

I love all the people bitching on the fb page that they don't know if they even want to reg yet with no guests announced. If you want good guests go to AX and leave us more room at Fanime.
>>
>>8857962
>https://staging.cmrhousing.com/fanime2016/gp/INFO/Housing/ResHotel
thanks for this, anon! i've been waiting for pricing info. here's hoping i can still get into the fairmont when my slot comes up.
>>
>>8850258
>Katsucon East coast Fanime

That's Nekocon
>>
>>8852929
>You go to Fanime for the antics and social atmosphere.
>>
>>8858558
>You go to Fanime for the antics and social atmosphere.
Read as "You go to Fanime for the orgies"
>>
every year I buy a badge for this con and every year I regret it because I never use the damn thing and end up just letting friends borrow it

guess I'm goin ghost
>>
>>8860820
I was actually going to post saying I agree, but for some reason only the greentext went through.
>>
This year I am not going to be staying the whole weekend which feels a little sad, bu at the same time I really only care about Friday and Saturday. Debating if I should get a weekend badge then or just two seperate day badges.
>>
>>8861966
As much as I'm a believer of buying con badges, at least you're honest with your intentions. It's one thing to ghost if your cheap. My biggest pet peeve are the people who utterly hate the con or are super critical of it, bitch on how they'll never support it but then end up ghosting the event. Ghosting means that you still think the con is worth going to but are just too cheap to buy a badge
>>
>>8862250
It could be that they think that the paid parts of the convention are not worth paying for. Like none of the things kept behind a paywall were good enough and everything worth going for was free.
>>
>>8862250
>>8862262
It's a combination of things, I'm always looking to save money if I can but it really just came down to the fact that Fanime is the kind of con where I spend all my time doing photoshoots, hanging by the pool, and drinking. I've never really gone to Fanime for the events, just the crowd. I might end up buying a one day badge or something if I feel like I wanna check out the AA since I know a lot of good artists going, but that's it.
>>
First time going to Fanime

Do badges sell out? How bad is registration on day 1?
>>
>>8863222
Badges don't sell out. Also the lines at Fanime are like MAYBE 10 min-15 min waiting max. They really got there shit together for that since 201...3 I think...? Or '14 I forgot.
>>
>>8849712
>you can add helpers!
>they can't help you during setup.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT, FANIME?
>>
>>8863676
13 They got the main line fixed to a 10 minute wait.

it took till last year to fix the AA.
>>
>>8863696
seriously such bullshit, kinda made me feel less bad about not getting picked though.
>>
File: bueno.png (519 KB, 654x537) Image search: [Google]
bueno.png
519 KB, 654x537
Is fanime worth going to solo?
>>
>>8867412
Unless you're hot no.
Go back to the wall taco-kun
>>
>>8867412
are you a qt 3.14 blue hair girl?
no?

how about a people person?
no?

probably not
>>
File: int.gif (14 KB, 174x296) Image search: [Google]
int.gif
14 KB, 174x296
>>8867419
Elaborate pls, how does that help?
and im Argentinian, im white.
>>
>>8867439
if you have to ask how being hot helps then you're definitely not hot
>>
File: xtan4275.png (110 KB, 448x357) Image search: [Google]
xtan4275.png
110 KB, 448x357
>>8867445
People open doors for me and sometimes spill their spaghetti all over my feet,
but im not an expert on the scale.

mostly i'd like to know if the general vibe is open to people starting general conversation and hanging out, rather the sakura-con circle jerking on mobile phones.

blarg, if there's a bar somewhere that most con-goers go to, i'd be ok.

it doesn't matter anyway
> no fucking hotel info to speak of save for what ITT.
>fucking ax has their shit going already...
>>
>>8867451
in my experience people have been cool with talking it up
always helps if you have an icebreaker of some sort
i've pretty much built all my con friends upon the fact that i would see the same people at all the events and talked to them

if your home convention is sakuracon well seemingly half of norcal and socal will be coming your way so you can start talking to them and set up for fanime
>>
>>8849719
3 main ones:

Hilton: Largest rooms (500sqft+), more (800+) if wheelchair accessible/top floors, slip a 10 when checking in or check wheelchair accessible. Pros are closest to gaming room, vendors, relatively little elevator line, moderate amount of room parties. Cons are it's really far from downtown where food is, and walking there every day is a pain. Rooms are very nice and clean, colors are nice as well. Good for cosplayers since the rooms are so large.

Marriott: Smallest rooms (300-350sqft). Rooms are kinda old and yellowed. Has a clusterfuck of elevator line every time. However, is closer to downtown where food is, but is also connected to the convention center, offering a good balance. If you're looking for a hotel to stuff 8 people in, this is not it. There are not as many parties from my experience, due to the small rooms and the atrocious elevator lines. Good for people who really like to enjoy the convention activites and are only staying with like 2 other people.

Fairmont: Medium rooms (400-450sqft). Rooms are average, very clean but not as new as Hilton, however the shampoo and soap is godly at the Fairmont. Take these if you can. Has some issues with elevator line depending on which tower you get placed into. Closest to some of the panels, and extremely close to downtown (food) and Safeway. There are a lot of room parties at the Fairmont as well, and it gets pretty crazy at night. It's also where a lot of cosplayers like to go to if they don't have too much stuff. Nice but pricy bar area, very nice lobbies and photoshoot areas.

(pt 2 next)
>>
>>8867594
Others:

Westin: Rooms are tiny af (200-300sqft). Has a nice lobby, and the rooms themselves aren't that terrible. I'd stay here instead of the Marriott since less elevator fuckery and the hallways are nicer and don't give off that terribly cramped and claustrophobic feeling the Marriott has. You aren't going to any parties in it, but if you only have like 3 people and no luggage it's an alright hotel. Good location.

Hyatt: Room size: (400-450sqft) It's basically the Hilton with less partying and slightly smaller rooms. Rooms are nice enough, you have to cross the street to get to the convention center, still pretty far from downtown and food. Not recommended. It's not a bad hotel, just get the Hilton before you consider it.

Ramada Inn: The Poverty Choice. Stay here if you're on a budget because you're 16. Really far from anything.

Everything else: "Oh fuck I forgot about Fanime hotels and I have to find somewhere last minute."

There's also Four Points Sheraton Downtown (NOT THE AIRPORT) which is pretty alright, but I dunno if it's going to be on the block.

Parking: City parking anywhere is free on Monday and all gates are open. If you don't need in and out, drop off stuff, park in a city lot. Under safeway, above the donuts place are all good. Leave car there til Monday, pay nothing. If you need your car on Sunday, just pretend to have lost your ticket and pay the max (20?) per day.

Booking: Book all the dates (From Day 0 to the day afterwards). You can always shrink your reservation but it's much more difficult to expand it.
>>
>>8867594
>>8867603
Are you a hotel wizard!?
>>
File: ss (2016-02-16 at 04.21.32).png (9 KB, 185x547) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-16 at 04.21.32).png
9 KB, 185x547
>>8867603
For cosplayers: Hilton would be the best choice. You can get up to the 20th or 21st if you're nice when checking in or call and see if you can get a "complimentary upgrade" or if you have "a lot of equipment" and you're wondering "if the room can fit it." Hilton likes to say they charge for internet but you can join their rewards (same with Marriott iirc) to get free internet. The password is usually something silly like Hilton3 or Hilton4 or something.

For first timers: I would suggest the Marriott or the Fairmont. If you are there for the convention and just the convention, the Marriott offers a nice stay. Chances are you'll have a small group if you're going for the first time, and having a small room will force you to either meet people or you'll just go to bed early. The Hilton and Hyatt are kind of isolated. I lean towards the Fairmont, but the Marriott is closer to the 24 hour gaming hall and vendors, as well as the main convention floor where you can chill with people.

For people looking for room parties: Hilton or Fairmont. Both have their fair share of room parties, and they seem to care less about them. The Marriott is kind of anal about any sound. The Hilton is slightly stricter than the Fairmont though, the Fairmont staff seems to literally not care (at least from my experience). It seems that the Fairmont fanime blocks are closer together. Also Fairmont is better for late night Safeway food and booze runs. Both the Hilton and the Fairmont see most of their usual sales occur on weekdays, but it seems that Fairmont is a more business oriented hotel, and doesn't really see any activity on weekends, which is why I think they're lax on the partying thing.

Picking up guys/girls: Get a cheap and small room for yourself at the Marriott. Center of all the hotels, easiest to bring a date to.

>>8867609
I've booked a few hotel rooms in my time
>>
>>8867603
>>8867639
I few notes I wanna share

Marriott - Room quality is really good and the walkways are pretty spacious for cramming an extra person. Bathrooms have sliding doors with no locks on them so not an ideal choice if you're rooming with strangers.

Ramada Inn: Is a better choice than most people think. You're still close to the con center and your walk is mitigated by taking the tent side entrance and you have easy access to the cluster of restaurants near Iguanas. There are absolutely no issues with elevator lines, rooms come with microwave and refrigerator and there's free breakfast.
>>
>>8867950
I wanna add in too.

Ramada Inn: Very quiet since its a block away, hotel services are very accommodating. But room are small but if all you are going to do is crash then its great. Free wifi iirc. If you do lose your key card and change, you'll need to replace all of them. Plus there's that asian grocery store right across the street. Clean but crammed.

Hyatt: Really is like a cheaper Hillton. Across the street is really more than doable. Free breakfast and wifi. Very spacious so if you wanna cram people in, not a bad option. Next to the auditorium where you line up for the bands.

>>8867594
Note: if you do plan on using wheelchair accessible option, please use it sparingly. Because last time my group were unable to get one even though we did have a handicapped person with us, one who had a fear of high floors. They don't every really check.

Oh and ask for floors close to the ground to avoid elevator fiasco. Better yet, just pack and transport before you party on Day 3.
>>
>>8867594
>>8867639
throwing in a few comments on the fairmont.....has quick access to the park and the water fountain/feature if you're doing a lot of the large gatherings and/or photoshoots. it's close to a lot of food options, plus the bubble tea place. if you're in the separate tower, the elevator wait is much less than if you're in the main building.

i've also stayed at what's now the westin....if you're alone, or there's only 1 cosplayer, the rooms are big enough. bathrooms are cute AF with clouds painted on the ceiling and the toiletries were super awesome.

hotel priority emails go out tomorrow.....who else is terrified they're not gonna get an early enough time to get the hotel they want?
>>
Does anyone know if even the first wave of hotel info has gone out? I don't know anyone who bought their badges the day registration opened. If not, who wants to place bets on when they ever will?
>>
>>8869134
they supposedly go out the 17th (tomorrow). no clue at what time.
>>
>>8850258
Basically this.

I love Fanime because it's chill, not as crowded as AX, and has lots of good locations for photos within walking distance. The weather there is usually pretty good for cosplay, too, sunny but not so hot that armor suffocates you and your makeup melts.

I don't really care about Fanime guests at all. I think that if you're more than driving distance, and guests are a big part of your con experience, you're better off going to Sakuracon.

By the way, if you can afford your own room or are sharing with an SO, check out the Ste. Claire. The rooms are tiny and miserable if you're sharing with a bunch of friends, but they're fine if it's just one or two people in one bed, and it's super close to the con but doesn't have the horrible elevator waits that you get at the Hilton or Marriott.
>>
Almost ready to fuck.
>>
>>8869216
>check out the Ste. Claire
fyi it's now the westin.
>>
>>8869245
Oh wow, I guess that's why some of the floors were being renovated when I stayed there last year. (Or was it already the Westin and I just didn't notice?)
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 720x480
Well, got my sweet at the fairmont.
Wew.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 640x368
>>8869687
Sweet Suite*
>>
>>8850027
I go to both, and prefer Fanime because of this >>8850258
>>
>>8869687
So the hotel emails have started to be sent out!?
>>
>>8869687
Huh? Suites weren't listed as available at the Fairmount, did you go outside of Fanime booking to reserve it?
>>
What are people's reservarion time? I signed up at last years Fanime and i recieved the 24th at 6am.
>>
>>8870172
Same, I went ahead and got my prereg last Fanime. Good luck to us both, anon!
>>
Ok so they want us to have all our roommates name available. I call BS because I'm sure we can manipulate info later since my roommates aren't finalized and they all want a chance to get the room type so wth.
>>
File: ss (2016-02-17 at 11.01.55).png (15 KB, 584x196) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-17 at 11.01.55).png
15 KB, 584x196
>>8870181
>>8870172
I signed up the moment online registration came out, got 6am on the 24th as well.

Friend signed up on Jan 8th, noon on 24th

Another signed up Jan 20th (when the priority room announcement was made), noon on 25th.
>>
>>8870200
Signed up a few weeks ago and mines Feb 26th
>>
>>8870195
Ah nvm, they confirmed on the fb page that you can add and change names during and after the booking.
>>
>>8870200
My friend, who I am rooming with, pre-registered for this year's Fanime at lastyears Fanime, and his registration time is February 24th, at 9:00 AM.
>>
Other tips: Always be nice when checking in. Make sure that you don't smell or aren't looking like a piece of shit while checking in, and they'll be more likely to put you in a nicer place or give you benefits such a free wifi or even free breakfast or lounge access. Dress nicely, don't just wear a weeb tshirt, be very professional and polite. If it isn't too busy, make small talk about the convention or other stuff. Tell them how much you like the hotel. You can always ask and see if they have upgraded rooms available, mention that you have a lot of equipment, but decline on the basis of price later and see if they can put you in a larger standard room for the same price. Remember to smile!

>>8868027
Yea, the wheelchair option is definitely kind of douchy. I've only used it a couple of times, and the way I asked was if they had an accessible room free, since while none of us staying in the room required accessibility, it would help a friend who was going to be visiting and spending some time there, and that if there were none available it would have been fine. Usually I ask that they confirm they plenty of rooms free when I'm checking in, otherwise I call it off. One time it ended up being actually necessary (a friend who wasn't staying there broke his leg but still wanted to come to our room parties at night).

>>8870203
Mind sharing what time you bought your badge at and what your booking time is on the 26th? Collecting some numbers for future years.

>>8870210
>>8870195
Yea, it's not necessary. It's better to just put yourself and change it later anyways. More importantly you book a hotel room for the entire possible duration (from day 0 to the day afterward). You can always shrink reservations, but growing them is difficult.
>>
>>8870217
That is unfortunate, however I am not surprised. From what I heard, the people from last year were manually added into the system after registration opened, and sometimes it's difficult to move people up and down queues when they're already in the system. However, I think your friend will be fine, since the majority of registrations seem to have taken place after the announcement, and you can no longer book multiple rooms this year (thank god people won't be asking me if I have space in one of my rooms anymore). If you can't get into a hotel with the second booking slot, then Fanime will have really fucked up.
>>
>>8870262
That makes sense. Where did you hear this btw? I wonder if my friend to speak up if they would change his time to 6:00 AM instead of 9:00 AM. I wonder if they would be more responsive to an email, a tweet, or a facebook wall post.
>>
think theres even gonna be any rooms available on the 26th that arent a shuttle ride from the con?
>>
>>8870389
More than likely, I recommend get a hotel along the VTA light rail route. It won't run as late as the official shuttle but better than nothing, plus maybe some cheap hotels by the airport.
>>
File: sad uguu.gif (1 MB, 268x280) Image search: [Google]
sad uguu.gif
1 MB, 268x280
>tfw registered at the con last year and no email yet
>>
>>8870172
i regged the day they posted on FB about hotel priority....and still got the 25th at noon.

really wondering how many badges are per 3 hr booking time.
>>
>>8870559
I regged about 2 weeks before the announcement when I realized the price wasn't going up after the cutoff date and got 9am on Feb 25. Looks like I'm going to have to be right on top of it and get in before the floodgates open.
>>
I applied to be a staff member in the gaming hall but I haven't heard back

I haven't been to a Fanime before, what should one expect working with the gaming hall?
>>
>>8870586
honestly, i think it's less about when and more about what # badge buyer you were. like 1--50 get the first block, 51-100 get the next, etc. my question is how many badges per block?
>>
>>8870613
I haven't worked in Fanime e-gaming in many years but from what I know the current group are a friendly bunch. The biggest problem I can recall is that e-gaming will likely end up short-staffed (historically gaming and video departments have the least committed to showing up the weekend of the con) so you may end up working extra hours to cover. Also consider that it's 24/7 so overnight hours may be asked of you. Plus you'll be sharing the hall with the other gaming departments so there will always be activity going on.

If they don't get back to you consider becoming a volunteer and let them know you have a preference for being in e-gaming, they may just keep you on that assignment all weekend and you can work off the hours.
>>
File: 1454694843323.gif (56 KB, 611x412) Image search: [Google]
1454694843323.gif
56 KB, 611x412
>>8870200
>Ask friend to reg first
>Find out he took his sweet sweet time
>Registers a week ago
>9AM on the 26th
>>
I'm guessing if you reg'd 2 days ago your fucked eh?.
>>
File: ss (2016-02-18 at 03.44.24).jpg (55 KB, 366x523) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-18 at 03.44.24).jpg
55 KB, 366x523
>>8870294
Just through Facebook posts and from people who know people who know people, etc. I don't know how reliable it is.

However, something that leads me to believe this is the case is how I managed to register online as #2 one year. If the ones who had registered at-con the year prior had been entered into the system properly, there would have been no way I would have been able to do this. Most likely >>8870626 is how it works and they goofed some of the at-con registration people.
>>
>>8871750
Me >>8870488 here,

I haven't gotten anything, so im at a loss. Am i fucked or could something legit happened? i just hate this limbo.
>>
File: maximumrustledjimmies.jpg (44 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
maximumrustledjimmies.jpg
44 KB, 640x472
>mfw fanime is literal shit and we still support it
>>
>>8871919
No one is forcing ya to go. I go because it is still hella fun for me.
>>
>Tfw you forgot to pre-reg
Last year, I think all of the hotels had rooms open during the month leading up to Fanime, so not super worried.
>>
>>8872089
I'm banking on people shitting the bed (not literally) or not having the money.
My main thing is I want either the Hilton or the fairmont because I hate noise complaints, The Marriott's fascist about that stuff.
>>
>>8872040
Seconded, literal shit as compared to what? AX and it's supposedly good guests?
>>
>>8872727

AX does get good guests though if you aren't casual as fuck. Voice actors straight from Japan (no one cares about dub actors lol), directors and producers from big studios, etc. I'd say music might be hit or miss depending on your tastes, but AX has secured many big name talents from Japan as well for concerts.

The problem with AX is of course how crowded it gets, so making sure you get autographs/panels is generally a nightmare.

Fanime has slowly started to pull better guests in, but the number is still super weak compared to AX. On the other hand, the convention itself is much more laid back and not nearly as crowded. Getting the autographs you want and getting into the panels you're interested in with the guests is a lot easier. Probably a reason I prefer to cosplay at Fanime, it's just so much more relaxed.
>>
So general hotel shit goes up the 29th, what time?
midnight?
>>
>>8872759
>no one cares about dub actors lol

I can't tell you how much I wish that were true. People act like dub actors are gods. If I never saw another ego-inflated smug dubber show up as a con guest, I would be so happy.
>>
>>8871800
>>8871800
Email them now and include your confirmation and everything. You should get a code for the hotels.
>>
>>8872759
I guess if you care about flavor of the month anime , sure, it's better. Meanwhile, when they get the people behind the excellent Kurosagi Corpse Delivery manga, they don't even bother to give them a proper announcement. Casual as fuck indeed.
>>
File: 10 years of jazz and tap.gif (2 MB, 205x260) Image search: [Google]
10 years of jazz and tap.gif
2 MB, 205x260
>>8872903
Minor update,
>westin regular rates FUCKING DONE
>hyatt regular rates FUCKING DONE
>hilton regular rates: SUPER FUCKING DONE

>Marriot has 3000 singles/doubles @ 309$
>farmont has ??? singles @ 400$

How can last year be incredibly casual and this year is Battle Royale?

good luck peeps.
>>
File: darkness.jpg (107 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
darkness.jpg
107 KB, 1920x1080
>Plan to book a room with 2 queen for Fanime for me and my friend
>got my confirmation number, set for the 25th at 12pm
>My friend gets invited by to another group
>Pic related

Might just give away the confirmation code for the hotel on this thread later this week. The con is pretty much dead to me since everyone that made it magical to me last year are busy with other commitments.
>>
>>8873360
those are per night charges?
that's worse than SDCC
that's insane
>>
>>8876167
No, IIRC it's like 205-210 average.

Marriott was $204, Westin IIRC was $205, and those are the two hotels that are just right next to the convention.
>>
>>8876159
Can I have it? Pretty please?
>>
File: cgl-tan.png (464 KB, 645x713) Image search: [Google]
cgl-tan.png
464 KB, 645x713
>>8876159
You could book anyway and try to get a roomie.
plenty of time to vet them out and cancel otherwise.
I'm pretty screwed this year waiting for general booking, so there will be plenty of desperate people, especially if they work the con professionally at a.a, the healers hall or volunteering.
>>
>>8876287

Book the Arena Hotel. Jacuzzi, mini-fridge, big and clean rooms, free continental breakfast, free parking, right next to whole foods. Only con is that it's several blocks away from the hotel, and walking takes you under some shady underpass es.

If you drive, it's fine though
>>
>>8876457
And it's a block away from the train station so you can take the light rail right to the convention center stop.
>>
Weren't rooms in the Marriott and Hilton both open a month before, last year?

I think everything's going to be fine.
>>
>>8876822
Only because the people who were booking 5 rooms at a time during the rush were surrendering them before the charge cutoff. Unclear yet if this system will prevent that.
>>
>>8849719

I always stayed at the Fairmont, it's great because it's close to the con, close to all the food, hosts the events and panels and it's nice as hell.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 500x701) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 500x701
Someone on the fanime forums got the number 2145 for rooms within a block of the con center.
That's a little over 8k total in capacity, averaging 4 per room and with fanime's attendance like 27000, about 1/3rd of the general attendees won't have a place close.

But anything can happen.
>>
>>8878635
So all is lost.
>>
>>8878635
i guess the big question is how many saturday/sunday only passes vs. full weekend passes are in the ~27k attendance. also how many locals commute from home.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 495x498) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 495x498
>>8879932
>tfw a connected hotel has all days but Saturday

Thanks to the notoriously inefficient guy who dgaf.
>>
>>8880218
Saturday badge fucks should be thrown in with the general pool. This is fucking bullshit already
>>
File: dawn of the final day.jpg (42 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
dawn of the final day.jpg
42 KB, 500x250
Soon.
>>
>>8880218

That's the non-reserved hotel rooms. Fanime housing hasn't got up yet. It goes up tomorrow at 6 PST
>>
Are fairmont Junior suites available through Fanime?
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 811x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 811x900
>>8880502
Yes, but it'll happen; a bunch of Sunday night and Thursday openings, I can't wait to be angry over.
>>
>>8880301
>>8880218
I honestly can't blame them, Saturday usually is the best day for Fanime.
>>
so who's ready to see how this goes? first block is at 6AM, right? T minus 5 hours, seagulls.
>>
J, I hope you snag a room
>>
And everyone room sold out in the middle of me reserving and getting unavailable message

FUCK YOU FANIME, FUCK YOU
>>
>>8881964
wtf are you talking about they don't even open for another 3 hours
>>
>>8881971
Hell, mine isn't up until tomorrow.
>>
>>8881977
Mine isn't till Friday. I am screwed.
>>
Hilton secured, suck it weebs.
>>
Hyatt go. Very painless. I'm happy.

Hilton King and Doubles are gone at least for this block of time, no idea if its sold out completely.
>>
File: 1405211692427.jpg (30 KB, 228x239) Image search: [Google]
1405211692427.jpg
30 KB, 228x239
Tried to book Hilton Doubles for Thursday-Sunday, said it would oversell, then everything sold out. Had to call to get told I'm on a waitlist for the Hilton or the Marriott and book for the Ramada.
>>
So what's left?
For the people booking at 9 and beyond...
Thought I had a good time too..
>>
Gone...solid gone. No fucking rooms left for any block after this point as per all hotels. Gg fanime you asstard fucking liberal shitbags.
>>
>>8882103
Maybe they have a cap for how many rooms per block....?

They all can't be gone this fast.
>>
>>8882110
yes, yes they can.
>>
>>8882103
Try calling the 800# and ask what your options are. I accidently booked two nights originally, called them and they added up to the full stay with no problem. Good luck!

>>8882110
I believe that is correct, there are additional blocks open today and in the next two days.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 540x264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 540x264
>>8882116
Soooooo, next bookin cycle is at 9?

I guess we'll know then.
>>
File: Capture.png (230 KB, 1191x872) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
230 KB, 1191x872
>>8882103
What the actual fuck are you talking about only the Hilton is gone and that's only if you're coming Thursday. More spots open up if you look at Friday to Sunday

Do you enjoy your troll life you piece of shit?
>>
File: aw yeah.jpg (64 KB, 431x592) Image search: [Google]
aw yeah.jpg
64 KB, 431x592
>>8882238
Duuuude, Thanks for the update, keep us posted

Also, 3 minutes everybody, round 2.
>>
update on round 2? aka how fucked are the rest of us who have to wait till tomorrow and friday.
>>
>>8882238
Thursday is important to a lot of people flying in. Don't call people pieces of shit because you misinterpret a post and made as assumption.
>>
>>8882238
I especially liked the random liberal shit bag part.
>>
>>8882359
They said everything is gone and if you look at that post Thursday is included
>>
>>8882362
I think they are going by the fact that fanime has their own "company" running the roomshow which has the tendency to steal rooms from people to give to people they deem more important, like liberals.
>>
>>8882378
Okay detective holmes. We don't know what was on their screen or what the hotel told them.

By your logic, let's start calling kesha a shit troll for crying rape with no evidence so she cold get out of her contract
>>
>>8882379
Ah, the Bernie Sanders block.
>>
>>8882380
>By your logic, let's start calling kesha a shit troll for crying rape with no evidence so she cold get out of her contract

Subtle attempt to shit up the thread with arguing about this, nice cherrypicking. 4/10
>>
And the tension in the thread grew three sizes that day.

/pol/iti/co/ bants aside, how's this round going?
>>
https://www4.cmrhousing.com/fanime2016/Housing/ResHotel

Here's the hotel list. The ID they want is your actual badge ID.

Most everything is still available, and probably will still be after the 12pm block. I shouldn't have woken up at 6am to do this.
>>
>>8882398
Please go away, I do not want you to rape me again, posting on 4chan is not consent.
>>
Do we know if the blocks are sorted out by groups of set numbers like 100-200 or whatever or is it just everyone that pre-reged between Day A and Day B etc?
>>
>>8882418
That's the assumption

Also, what happens if someone's window expires are they relegated to general? Somebody on the fanime forums mentioned their time was 6am - 12 tomorrow, so it's interesting if at noon the shenanigans for today are done (which I'm hoping).
>>
File: cgl no fun.png (103 KB, 500x546) Image search: [Google]
cgl no fun.png
103 KB, 500x546
>>8882498
If that's the opening, we can deduce 9am-3pm, and 12pm - 6pm (totally 6am - 6pm) so today's dealings wouldn't be over until 6 tonight.
buckle up.
>>
>>8882498
I think it's just a start time not a window
>>
>>8850027
No it's the "I wanna have fun with friends in a not too sparse not too crowded environment that has cool guests sometimes and don't deal with AX's Bullshit" convention

I said convention because I'm not in a rush
>>
A friend just booked a room (3pm 2/24 wave), apparently still plenty of rooms with only the Ramada, Hilton, and Marriot low on options
>>
just took a peek to see what's still open.....here's hoping that more room blocks will be opened, because right now the hilton and marriott are mostly sold out for thurs-mon, with some small amount of availability fri-mon.
>>
>>8883190
where did you see this? I've been looking for a link to keep up with what's available but I can't find one
>>
>>8883360
just go to the link in your email, also posted up in the thread. click "view availability" under the hotel name to see what days are sold out.
>>
>>8883414
totally spaced that someone had just posted the link, thanks!
>>
Marriott and Hilton sold out fri-mon with ramada and Hyatt soon to follow.

This sucks.
>>
do they add more rooms at each block? or are artists basically screwed now?
>>
Fuck Fanime registration. I hope they all die.
>>
>>8883987
Basically screwed, yeah.
Because of the app regs etc looks like most will be relegated to the airport.
>>
>>8884089
alright so artists get to lug their shit to / from the airport that's fine this is fine
>>
Managed to get a double at the Fairmont.

If people are having trouble booking keep Monday out of your reservation and add it at the con. I've never had a problem doing this because 3 years in a row I didn't plan to stay til Monday and then said fuck it there's too much good stuff late Sunday.
>>
>Fanime gets shittier every year
>Numbers of attendees rise and hotels book out faster

Looks like their plan to hold hotels hostage before confirming panels, AA, press and guests paid off.
>>
>>8884115
AA selections have already been done
>>
anyone know what happens if you forget to change the reservation from 1 adult to 4?? will they straight up kick you out or
>>
>>8884214
Don't even bother trying to indicate how many people you have just make sure you have the right beds and don't break anything. It's well known at this point that its too much work for the hotels to police room packing and turn a blind eye as long as the rooms don't get trashed and you're not asking for 100 pillows and towels.
>>
FAIRMONT MASTER RACE REPORTING IN.

sweet jesus, looks like i just got in under the wire for a single. i didn't see anything new open up this block.
>>
>>8884242
same here dude, most stressful 30 seconds of my life. finished making my reservation, looked back at the page and the fairmont was booked up. never felt so much relief
>>
hope the waitlists move.. seems unlikely though since everyone only gets one room per badge?
>>
File: cgl drama.gif (484 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
cgl drama.gif
484 KB, 704x396
>>8884115
I think the pre-reg line for 2017 this year is going to be more insane than it previously has too.

it's what i plan on doing..maybe just going a day to set up for 2017.

damn dude..

this sucks.
>>
>>8884214
I adjusted my occupancy via the modify reservation option on the housing website without an issue. Went from 1 to 2, if you fail to complete the update, it doesn't jeopardize your current res, no changes will apply is all.
>>
File: fanime servers fail.jpg (198 KB, 1289x399) Image search: [Google]
fanime servers fail.jpg
198 KB, 1289x399
Thanks fanime.
>>
File: 1421888173577.png (739 KB, 708x698) Image search: [Google]
1421888173577.png
739 KB, 708x698
and once again...

rooms are still open sat/sun

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 750x135) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 750x135
I hope fanime reg and booking staff die. Die in a fire.
>>
File: 1009-oscar.jpg (35 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
1009-oscar.jpg
35 KB, 300x220
>>8884334
I had a little shred of faith that there would be some left till general booking, but alas.
>>
That feel when there is some dick selling 5 rooms on the fb page
>>
so anyone know a good spot to park and sleep in your car?
>>
>>8884371
where? i've never actually seen someone scalp a room so i'm totally curious.
>>
>>8884393
They just said the fb page.
>>
>>8884371
>>8884393
pretty sure if this it the same guy i'm looking at with 5 rooms, they were all booked at the regular rate via the hotels, not the fanime blocks.
>>
Wow the only hotels left are the ones by the airport. Fuck man.
>>
>>8884491
This always happens but at least it took 2 days for the server to crash.

I wish the new system was announced earlier but at least the AA people were notified with reasonable time.

Face it Fanime wants priority to go to the people who pay and not to the people who will book 5 rooms for parties at the best hotels, ghost the con and then trash the place
>>
So how early can you reg for the next year? do they go on sale sunday or monday of the con?

this has become a legitimate concern.
>>
>>8884491
I'm so salty but I also saw it coming so I can't even feel full force angry, just disappointed.
>>
>>8884515
Last day for sure, not sure if you can reg earlier. Best is to just ask when you're there
>>
Not sure if I should feel bad because I'm local and doubt have to deal with this shit
>>
File: br.jpg (39 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
br.jpg
39 KB, 500x284
>tfw roomie competition this year
>>
File: 14551033699992.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
14551033699992.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>AX hotel situation
>Fanime hotel situation
>>
>>8884603
People are going to be all over room holder dicks for a spot to sleep

"Will trade room space for cash, grass, or ass"
>>
File: photo.jpg (119 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
119 KB, 450x450
>>8884603

I always end up getting added as a roomie with strangers (yeeahhh!), and it's super stressful trying to get a spot as it is, especially with all the "girls ONLY" roomie openings. This year is going to be even more of a nightmare and I'm legit worried for the first time I won't be able to get a spot. Will pay top dollar for floor corner.
>>
>>8884509
One faggot buys a badge, the rest still ghost. 2 faggots buy a badge, get two rooms, still ghost. 5 faggots buy a badge, stuff 30 people, still party, still trash the rooms, 30 people share 5 badges and still ghost.

This system solved fucking nothing.
>>
File: chunk.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chunk.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
Literally nothing but airport hotels.

gg friday windows/ general regs.
>>
>>8884462
yeah, i'm looking on the FB page and not seeing it
>>
File: 5311235.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
5311235.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
this is fucked
>>
>>8884676
Better than no badge buyers at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 580x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 580x282
Lol
The airport hotels are starting to fill up.
>>
Is this the norm for Fanime?
>>
>>8884809
>>8884682
>>8884608
>>8884603
>>8884607

I feel so glad Im an easy 20 minutes drive from Menlo Park to San Jose down the 101 and always get there early to have space in the parking garage under the convention center.
>>
>>8884754
People like you deserve to be shot.
>>
>>8884929
No fuck you the convention block is significantly cheaper than what the hotel rates are usually. The only reason the prices are lowered to something reasonable is because of the agreements forged between Fanime and area hotels. Those lower prices should go to the people who actually payed for a badge to be at Fanime and keep the damn thing running. Yes it was shitty for them to announce this change only a moth ago but dear god there is significantly less bitching than previous years.
>>
>>8884919
10 minutes here
I come late in the day but I know where to park for free since I'm willing to walk a few blocks
>>
>>8884981
Oh so fuck me? So it's okay that your 25 faggot friends that didn't buy a badge are let in by you and the 4 other badge holders. While still busting up the rooms with damages?

In what fucking warped part of your god damn brain does this I'm even compute as you doing good or did you even use your fucking cognitive thought ability before you just shat the words you did out of your mouth?

HAI GAIS, WE BOUGHT 5 BADGES, AT LEAST WE BOUGHT 5 FOR THE 30 OF US KEKKEKEKEKEEKE WE ARE HELPING!

Hey, while you are at it, go dump about 80 trillion gallons of fresh water into the ocean during a drought in an attempt to save a fucking salt water fish. It would be in line with typical California logic. Oh wait, they actually did it. Just like you implying 5 badges and 25 leeches LOWER hotel prices.
>>
>>8885157
All of my friends bought badges.
>>
>>8884491

Arena Hotel. Room rate is 157 a night for a king suite. Has kitchenette, Jacuzzi bath, nice rooms, continental breakfast, free parking, is right next to a whole foods, and isn't that far from the convention. If you have a car, leave early from hotel to find parking downtown, and you're good. It almost never books fully anyways. It's my go-to if I missed out on housing, but this year I was first priority and managed to get a king at the Hilton.
>>
>>8885157
That's literally a strawman. He's saying
>It's better that you at least need a badge to get a room, because scalping and ghosting is an issue.

You're saying he's saying
>I'm going to rent 5 rooms and have 30 people ghost for free!

Realize that the major argument you're angry about us something he never said, and is a scenario you just invented out of thin air.

Even if we imagine that that is happening, it is still objectively better than 30 people renting 10 rooms with no badges, because there was no limit to stop them.

Your attitude is like slapping somebody who donated 20 bucks to a wildlife conservation fund, because that isn't enough to fix the environment in one shot.

As for the 30 people thing, quit getting pissed off about shit you come up with.

This is you right now :

http://wondermark.com/1k20/
>>
>>8885200
>California liberal logic:
>I payed 20 bucks, I am helping and I am doing good!

>Actual logic and what is going on:
>Here is 20 bucks, while you are busy counting it, I'm going to steal 10k from you and throw bullshit logic fallacies I created from tumblr to attempt to convince you that you never had 10k in the first place and I am not a thief. Your just angey, no thief here!

Finally the reason why California is so I'm debt. The apathetic and denial to try and fend off the truth explains everything.
>>
>>8885243
California has some of the most idiotic idealists you will find anywhere backed up by some of the most idiotic lawmakers possible. It has some great features that are ruined by some horrible people.

I say that as someone who lives here
>>
>>8884818
In recent years yes. While attendance has grown exponentially the availability of hotels on the Fanime block remains the same. There's far too much demand but not enough hotel blocks @ con rate to satisfy demand.
>>
theyre not even letting people waitlist until after general housing people have their turn this is so fucking dumb
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>hotels farthest away somehow more expensive than connecting hotels.

Just for that extra kick in the balls.
>>
>AX going down hill
>People flocked to Fanime as an alternative choice for summer cons
>Still easy to get hotels for Fanime while AX it was a bit of a struggle
>Both Fanime and AX still grow
>Both cons now are insanely hard to book rooms for

Japan Expo was supposed to save us from this two party system
>>
>>8885396
SacAnime is already growing and is hitting its peak right as other cons in California are declining, all they need to do is score a couple of Japanese guests and a Japanese musical artist (after the overhaul from upper management because fuck the current upper management) to become at least considerable in California and the West Coast

Maybe expanding to four days during the summer con (since it happens during Labor Day) would help as well
>>
Well, travel agencies seem to have rooms at all the hotels for all nights at around 400$ per night if anyone wants to pay 4 times the con rate.

Also, only 2 official hotels left, the doubletree and springhill suites left (4.3 and 3.8 miles from sjcc, respectively).

I'll have a little giggle when nothing is left by Monday for the rest of us late regs.
>>
>>8885418
Sacramento is a terrible location though
>>
>>8885601
Was about to say that. Maybe if sacanime got good Japanese guests people would finally want to go to sacramento

>>8885396
Japan Expo had the poor fate of not having a good time slot. Sacanime is held back by the fact it's in Sacramento.
>>
>>8885592
God, knowing that you and so many others got shafted really pisses me off. Sorry anon ;_;
>>
File: 1410293836162.jpg (48 KB, 554x527) Image search: [Google]
1410293836162.jpg
48 KB, 554x527
>>8885695
Thanks anon, you're very compassionate. Most of the usual methods as backups (hostels, airbnb, unofficial hotels) are also all hammered.
barring people snagging room-mates and cancellations, i dont see how this yeah is attend-able.

I guess everyone just needs to reg ASAP this year, whenever it opens at the con.
>>
>>8885396
Yeah what happened? Was a french company running a con in California doomed from the start?
>>
>>8885715
The problem with that is that everyone will be registering at the con due to this stupid mess. We will probably have to camp it just to get priority. Fanime needs to fix their shit or just leave.
>>
>>8885720

Yep. I'm pissed I won't even have a shot to get in the system because it was so fucked from the start. If I can't get a room this year because I didn't register early enough due to the late announcement of the new system, then I can't go to the con, then I can't register at the con for next year, then I can't get a room for next year... Shit sucks.
>>
>>8885720
I'm wondering if they're even going to allow badge pre-registration at the con now. If not then the only real change will be instead of fighting for hotel rooms people will be crashing the site trying to register for badges. Can't wait to register within 5 min of it opening and still end up being a third day time slot.
>>
File: angry pooh.jpg (109 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
angry pooh.jpg
109 KB, 1024x569
>>8885776
I was thinking this exactly.

as>>8885777
(checked) said, they may not even allow it, but if they do, im guessing more than a few will go to the simply to prereg, which is a sobering thought.
heck, im considering it.
>>
>>8885720
The problem is they can't fix much due to the fact that there is only so many hotels around the convention center and with it growing so much, shit gets filled up no matter what they do.

This is just the way it is going to be unless one of two things happen.

1. Fanimecon stops growing or shrinks. I really doubt this happening given the problems in prior years being much more evident and still having growing attendance despite that.

2. San Jose gets more hotels built around the convention center. Much harder thing to get done, but always a possibility.

Until those happen. i don't see much changing. been going for 15 years now and i am not stopping anytime soon.
>>
File: 1442619189435.jpg (141 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
1442619189435.jpg
141 KB, 1400x1050
>>8885787
Sooo they require prereg for even a shot at a hotel, When they know 66% of last year's attendance wont get a room.
lets think about that for a second, and realize that maybe, this new cockery was indeed a business cash grab to ensure people bought badges, preventing ghosting and perhaps scalpers buying multiple rooms, and ease server stress.

hitch is,
people are still booking multiple rooms under the names of everyone in their group, They're making multiple reservations, and backup reservations, and still putting their names under every waitlist for MUH PREFERENCE before the majority of the con attendance can even touch it.
Regardless of the logistics, this year said "PREREG, GET ACCESS, HAVE FUN" when it was more "PREREG QUICKLY, THIS IS ACTUALLY YOUR HOTEL OPPORTUNITY GOOD LUCK"

and before you claim butthurt, i got a king at the hilton, im a bug in a rug, but am i going to get this lucky next year?
as>>8885777 mentioned, will they even do at-son pre-reg this year?
too many maybes for people spending hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars, not even mentioning the artists and professionals that didn't get any priority.
>>
>>8885243
You are literally making shit up to justify your anger.

Nobody at all is saying that room stuffers and ghosters are anything but scum. Nobody is saying that.

How can you possibly think your position is logical at all?

>Scenario A has X people not paying for the con

>Scenario B has a X-5 people not paying for the con.

>Clearly, Scenario B is worse.

If somebody is going to steal regardless of changes to policy, they don't even matter for this thought exercise. That's like saying, "We're testing this light bulb to see how energy efficient it is. The bulb is 10w more efficient than the previous one, but the refrigerator is still drawing like 120W, so who cares."

Will this change stop first dedicated to effectively stealing from the con? No, but pretty much nothing would, so that's sort of a moot point.

Will the change stop the casual ghoster from stealing con rate rooms? Fuck yes it will.

You're acting like this change CAUSES the ghosting, rather than it not solving the issue.

But, considering you decided to lambaste "the liberals" apropos of nothing, I'm guessing this will go on one ear and out the other. You should maybe write your next message in capslock. Maybe if you are loud enough, you might magically become right!
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 750x262) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 750x262
>>8885777
I hope they don't, otherwise your scenario will become real.
>>8885787
I won't stop either, but is a really shitty situation.
>>8885777
How horrible, this will only make things worse.
>>
>>8885829
First quote meant for
>>8885776
>>
>>8885776
>>8885829
Im guessing (and i have pretty good forsight, been going since 2002) that At-con pre-registration will become the new masqurade tradition. The line will be huge, if this system sticks.
That is, if they allow it at all, which would once again put the stress on the servers.

So we're At-
> sacrificing a day at the con to make sure NEXT years con is possible, or
>there is no option, and you cross your fingers when the online goes up
>>
>>8885837
I'm genuinely trying to problem solve here to see if there's hope or these really are our only options now. I'm guessing their biggest problem is people ghosting so they can't really put a cap on registration, but now with the hotel system a cap might be reasonable.
>>
>>8885817
If anon is "making it up", why do they implement anti ghosting measures at all? Obviously the ghosting is significant enough.

Your logic failed at the point that you failed to realize people buy badges in both scenarios. Except in scenario B, the same amount of people are ghosting, but now we have to deal with a fucked up housing system.

Please come back when you have actual life experience.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.