[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting my first job in July at 22 years. Any tips on how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1435184640436.jpg (441 KB, 1000x741) Image search: [Google]
1435184640436.jpg
441 KB, 1000x741
Starting my first job in July at 22 years. Any tips on how to live the employed life? How do I make friends with colleagues? Any books on management (will have to manage two people in my department).

Also how should I invest my income? I'm reckoning that I could put aside maybe 15-18k € after taxes. Should I look into stocks, ETFs bonds?
>>
>>1249936

>What do?

Identify who's who. Who holds decision power to promote you? Be close to them. Make friends with at least one person in HR. They have information that you might find useful.

>How do?

Small talk will get you farther than you think. /biz/ consensus is that general dick sucking will too. Prioritise whatever your immediate bosses (and whomever is above them) tells you to do. Everything else can wait.

As for investment, when I was in your situation I started putting money in index funds. Because they were skyrocketing. Half an year later I had a totally different portfolio. It all depends on how the markets are in your country. Just do the math and see what gives more money for the risk you're willing to take. Review your plans every 3 months and reallocate as needed. Won't make you a millionaire quick, but is probably enough to make you reasonably comfy in your mid 40s.

Thinking Fast and Slow is a good and easy read. Search for /biz/lit/ in the archive, there's some good shit there too.
>>
solid advice thread ovah
>>
>>1249936

m8 your pic related was filmed prior to your birth

go fuck yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 350x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 350x447
I started in a small office 9 months ago. Rather comfy, and I'm given a good deal of responsibility even though I'm 18.

- Say morning to everyone you pass by as you make your way to your desk. At least be sociable.
- Small talk goes a long way.
- If colleagues ask you to go on a night out, go for it.
- Don't be an autistic fool (though you got a job so you've at least got some social skills)
- Employment isn't the bag of misery people make it out to be. Enjoy it. Be enthusiatic. Go about your business with a smile on your lips, and a song in your heart.
- You're bound to have bad days. Keep your chin up and remain positive.
- Never write a love letter to the cute girl sitting opposite you and sneak it in her birthday card. It will only end badly. Trust me.
>>
only decent thread
>>
>>1249936

Never dip pen in company ink, ever, ever.
>>
>>1250040
thanks for the advice! I'm gonna pass on the dick sucking but I'll keep my options open
>>1250063
jeff goldblum finds a way
>>1250223
solid advice, thanks bro. Actually looking forward to it because the job is a lot of fun and I'd rather spend the time being productive than dicking around on my couch
>>
>>1252266
whats the gig
>>
>>1249936

Pull your dick out of your pants on a regular basis.

This is an old school way of asserting office dominance that will bring you straight to the top.
>>
>>1251980
kek why
>>
>>1249936
Don't get your meat where you get your bread.
>>
Alright, looks like I'll also have to be part of the interviewing process for my subordinate. Any tips on how to interview people properly (only been on the other side of that process till now)?
>>1252276
I do mostly research for CEOs, Editors in Chief and other media executives around the world in addition to a few other things
>>
Be sociable. I cannot stress this enought. Go to happy hours, birthdays and such. You might get your second or third job because someone liked you and remembered your name, It happened to me.

Dress like you care - fitting, conservative-ish clothes. I'm a lawyer, and although I could probably get away with a button up and khakis most of the days (office work only), nothing says "lawyer in charge" more than a proper suit.

You're not rich, so you'll probably have to work. Make it fun - listen to music (earphones, please), be amiable, dare to like your job. Take pride of a job well done. If you have a shitty boss, fuck him and do it like you care anyway - unless it's a dead end job. Again, you never know who's watching.

As for finances, I believe it was already well covered.

>>1251980
This. So much this. It backfires.

>>1254289
Well, be sociable. make them relax. They'll talk more this way. Also, have a checklist of things to ask, observe, comment and so on - you don't want to end an interview only to realise you forgot something important.
>>
>>1249936
learn how to trade futures and options. thank me when you've gotten 30-50% increases every year.
>>
>>1254289

Try to make them comfortable at the beginning of the interview. Sit back in your chair in a relaxed position. Maintain eye contact. Ask some personal questions before you get to the hard stuff. Example: start asking about their day-to-day activities in their most recent jobs and then about how is their team composed. Then ask about how do they feel about their general experience there and stuff like that. Questions like those have long answers and should give you enough time to gain their confidence.

I'll sound very HResque and I know this is almost impossible, but I believe interviewers should try to asses behaviours more than skills. Skills can be taught, but behaviours are hard to shape. Try to know your people as human beans, as opposed to mere task executors. Ask questions about how they dealt with a difficult situation or about what they consider to be their greatest achievements. Or about their experiences with teamwork.

Also, read their resumes carefully and take notes. Use these notes to guide your questions during the interview. This is useful to catch liars, though not 100% guaranteed of course.
>>
>>1254421
thanks for the tips, appreciate it!
>>1254471
doesn't trading futures require a lot of time (as in time I have to work)?
>>1254483
thanks for the tips. We'll be choosing suitable candidates next week so I'll try to keep them in mind during that
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.