[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got a job making $17000 more than I did previously. Their plan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1349043945825.jpg (52 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1349043945825.jpg
52 KB, 500x365
I got a job making $17000 more than I did previously. Their plan only matches up to 4% of my salary and I was wondering if there was something else low risk that I could be dumping it all into.

Thanks
>>
>>1241286
buy a fucking hot dog cart
>>
>>1241295
Im curious if those food dudes with carts are suicidal or if they thoroughly enjoy thework. Kinda seems fun
>>
>>1241303
Don't know. But I will comment on a Mexican kid I once bumped into in Chicago when I was buying an ice cream from. They were like a dollar or something. Decided to ask how much he makes cause we were about the same age thought it would be interesting to know. Talked for 10 minutes. Worked his own confidence to trust me. Pulled out money from his pocket to show me how much he made that day. Pulled out a stack of 1$ and 5$. He said it was about 800-1k.

Obviously different market. But.. you know... he had a stack in his pocket and wasn't afraid of losing it or he would have deposited it or took it home then came back out. Right?
>>
>>1241286
1) get the 4% free money match

2) make sure you have about a year's expenses in an emergency fund that is easily liquid.

3) do you have your Roth IRA set up? are you fully funding it every year? if not, set one up right now at vanguard.com and fund it 5,500/yr every year. buy low cost, diversified index funds or ETFs. warren buffet recommends 90% in an S&P500 index fund and 10% in short term bonds. vanguard's target retirement fund is pretty nice too if you want to keep it as simple as possible.

4) enjoy a little bit of your new money... (save a bit for a vacation or something... maybe >>1241295)

5) put the rest in your 401k
>>
>>1241359
Well if you figure a little stand at a place with plenty of foot traffic it's probably a low estimate
>>
>>1241286

Are you talking 401k?

Unless you plan on working there 10+ years there is literally no reason not to max out the 401k even if it doesn't match, and even if the plans are shitty. Just put it into a generic large cap blend and it'll perform only a couple 1% less than the equivalent low cost index fund, but the tax benefits will more than make up for that.

When you leave your job just roll it over into an ira. Its only if your 401k is really, really shitty, and you won't be able to move the money out for decades where it actually makes sense to put money into a taxable account instead.
>>
I own a food truck and make a killing. We just bought another truck for events with money made from the first. It beats having some dude get off on bossing me around all day. I get to travel around and work with my family which is great. I would recommend it just make sure you can sell a good product
>>
>>1241303
I sell drinks to tourists downtown in my city during summer and can bring in over a grand a day if I stay out from early morning until after dark. It's hard work but businesses downtown price drinks high as hell so it's easy to compete. I wish I could sell beer without liquor license, would make a killing.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.