[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you use project management knowledge in your job/life/personal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: PMBOK%20Guide%20Large[1].png (112 KB, 260x337) Image search: [Google]
PMBOK%20Guide%20Large[1].png
112 KB, 260x337
Do you use project management knowledge in your job/life/personal projects?

>be me
>engineering school
>having classes about pmbok
>oh cool lets try this
>get a book in library
>300 pages
>pages are 80% white
>fucking crosswords to fill the book
>learn that getting a title of project manager is very expensive

Is this ever useful or just another meme scam like six sigma?
>>
>>1233216
i tired but it's all snake-oil bullshit.
i'm a project manager btw, the literature is useless.
>>
>>1233216
"Project Management" is just meeting facilitation 101.

Big companies pay 6-figure salaries for people to sit around and pretty much just arrange meetings between people who actually accomplish things. You don't need a certification for that, you just need a pulse, a working knowledge of your office's preferred calendar scheduling tool, and an email or phone number that you actually respond to.
>>
>>1233216

I'm a program manager with 12 years of experience, managing a portfolio of projects.

If you're smart, its helpful if you speedread through these books and understand what hot trends like Agile and SCRUM are.

If you're dumb, and PJM is the limit of your skillset, then you need the certifications to prove your worth.

Higher level & senior managers are expected to know the concepts, but I've never heard a recruiter actually REQUIRING a certification for a senior position.

PMI certs are for foreigners and young kids who have no resume experience.
>>
>>1233560
>"Project Management" is just meeting facilitation 101.

And that's why PJMs are "entry level" managers.

If all you can do is arrange meetings and take notes, you're not going to be much more than a PJM.
>>
>>1233560
>"Project Management" is just meeting facilitation 101.
not true, i mean sure if you suck at it it's exactly like that.
for me it's like a constant negotiation of scope and management of expectations (both clients and upper managements) and resources while trying to keep the deadlines and dose out the fires when they can't be kept.
>>
>>1233684
If you had proper scope definition and statement of work/budget planning in your CapEx, you wouldn't have to constantly talk management off a ledge, senpai.

Then again, what do I know. I'm just a project auditor for an F500.
>>
>>1233749
>proper scope definition
that is a thing that we make up as we go, usually the contract is not even signed when the work begins and not until the last deadline when the scope becomes truly clear.
>statement of work
yeah good joke anon.
>budget planning
that's like ad-hoc blurping out numbers with absolutely no basis in reality. deals are made by people that have no idea what the fuck is going on.

it's a small company i work for and the clients are usually pretty big but also rare they know shit about how projects go or anything about the real scope.

it's our thing. impossibly conditions lot's of sweat and somehow it works.
>>
>>1233561
Have you enjoyed your career doing project management?

I'm a technical lead and starting to get into project management by necessity at my current employer. I plan to be here another 2 years or so absorbing as much as I can.

My projects have been a mess because I'm untrained, but when I finish my current technical cert I will be pursuing ITIL and focusing on project management.

I'm interested on your thoughts and advice.
>>
>>1233760
That sounds like a nightmare. I'll stick to my $175k annual with options and a 9-5 M-F interspersed with shitposting on /biz/, thanks.
>>
>>1233768
it is a nightmare. i want out as soon as i can.
it's good enough pay in my country, but i think truck drivers earn better in the us. you would cry and laugh if you knew what i make a year.
>>
>>1233771
I've interviewed for startups; I do mostly technology work, so I've got a fair number of cybersecurity certs in addition to my main job role.

I always go into interviews with these cunts excited about the work, and excited about the opportunity to actually put my skills to good use and challenge myself; then, I hear the CEO/CFO start to talk about their business plan, their long-term strategy, and I start to cringe; there's no long-term strategy, or the numbers are shit, or they don't have a diversified client base.

Then, they tell me they can't pay me more than $80k "and 2-3% options share", and it's all I can do to not just laugh in their face.

I don't envy you, man. I considered that path, but realized that it's much easier for me to just stay where I am, save up my money, and then invest in my own business once I have enough capital to strike out on my own in a (relatively) low-risk market like real estate or something.
>>
>>1233792
>I considered that path, but realized that it's much easier for me to just stay where I am
well my problem is no degree and not many certs either. so this is not that bad for me personally.
>>
File: tumblr_o4nhvbt6QC1tduf00o3_500.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4nhvbt6QC1tduf00o3_500.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
>>1233792
>>1233768
How do you get into PM work? Im an architect and the PM role is not particularly well paid ($70ish?), unstable (construction cycles), hard to get without already having 5yrs exp and usually high stress because your troubleshooting the weather, engineering, architectural, construction firms that all have different objectives as well as a client who wants fast, good and cheap always and may change things last minute without providing extra money/time just for shits and grins.

EG. what do I do to get into a more comfortable PM industry/position?

Thanks, anons....
>>
File: yes.jpg (57 KB, 584x629) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
57 KB, 584x629
>>1234758
that being said, ive done 80% of that kind of work before (although it wasnt my job, the PM was lazy) and it essentially just need one to be familiar with the technical (not an expert), good at negotiating, making PPTs, COORDINATION with a bunch of people with different agendas and showing up to weekly meetings/inspecting work.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.