[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm the guy who works at the Sam's club kitchen for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: Samsclub_logo_rgb_1.jpg (10 KB, 337x350) Image search: [Google]
Samsclub_logo_rgb_1.jpg
10 KB, 337x350
I'm the guy who works at the Sam's club kitchen for 10 bucks an hour and I've worked here about a month and a half now. This wasn't as good of a job as I thought and it doesn't use my best skills which is customer service. I mean the managers dont give a shit about me. long story short I want to find a better job. Can I just quit Sam's club? I mean the 10 an hour is quite nice. They make me work 39.5 hours in the week and refuse to pay me full time. And you get a 50 sent raise every year. I just hate it, and of course I'm the only one that worksbhard in my department. The nigs just stand in the back and chatter to each other. I live in Tennessee btw. What do you guys think the next step in my life should be? I might get into a full time position at servepro. Thoughts?
>>
Changing jobs is like Tarzan swinging in the trees. You don't let go of the one you have until you have a grip on the next one.

If you get the metaphor.

Don't just up and quit, but start looking for something better tomorrow.

What is your educational background?
>>
>>1196043
What state OP?
>>
>>1196043
lol my nigga I worked for sams in the bakery for about 2 1/2 years holy god I hated it. This is my advice.

1) Sams is run by WalMart. Thats why they fuck you on hours. They did this to me all the time and because I was doing part time work and school they always changed my schedule 2-3 times a week and not update it on the wall. I think they knew I would put up with it because I was a student and was flexible but every day I went in I wanted to quit so fucking bad. After about a year of being there the turnover rate is so high, you become the person everyone relies on to fill other employees in on things like basic training. I feel you, there were 3 or 4 times where I almost literally walked out. Like the hot dog machine almost caught on fire because no one told me how to work it etc etc.

2) Take advantage of the 401k plan because I literally doubled my 401 from $700 to $1500 with a 8% I think matching contribution rate. I worked my way up from a wrapper to a decorator both part time postions and was making $12.42 and hour when I left a couple months ago. They used to give .50 raises back in the day but changed it to a 20, 30 40% system to save money because Walmart has not being doing great lately. I got a .40 raise and then a .20 when they did the new system. Honestly just fuck the company and get as much money as you can from the 401k so stay there for a little bit.
>>
If you're really good with customer service, consider a job in sales. Make sure manager outside of the kitchen know who you are and that you're good at customer service. Next time a position out on the sales floor opens up, put in for it. Also apply for jobs at competing stores/restaurants, and if you get any interviews, make sure that they know that you're skilled at what you do, and that you won't leave your current job unless there's more hours or a pay increase (or even benefits)

I would also recommend doing something outside of work to boost your resume, or a second job. That looks really good, and if you get to point where you can't stand Sam's Club anymore, and your second employer wants you full time, you can quit Sam's and transition seamlessly.
>>
>>1196051
Got a 1 year college certification for personal training and got injured and never got healed because no insurance so I cant do that. Also tried college again and dropped out because I couldnt past gen eds.
>>1196065
Tennessee
>>
>>1196073
Problem is, they will never move me anywhere because the kitchen is so short staffed, you never can leave unless youre there for 6 months minimum
>>
>>1196074

I wouldn't recommend pursuing personal training anyway. Someone ACSM certified makes about the same as someone who just reads bodybuilding.com articles.

You have to have some real power behind your name to get more money out of personal training if you don't plan to be self employed.

Look into either a trade or learn how to properly study for your gen ed classes so you can pass them.

What kind of injury do you have and what would it take to get it fixed?
>>
>>1196083
I had shoulder surgery and moved away and dont have my moms insurance anymore, I just need an mri to see what is snapped up now and probably some physical therapy.

And yeah, I couldnt pass the acsm exam, kept getting a 550 and I needed like a 580 to pass or whatever. Fucking sucked because its 500 a pop for each test.
>>
>>1196043
6 year veteran at Sam's Club bro. I worked there every weekend while I was in undergrad and doing my master's degree. I made $12/hr and they worked perfectly with my schedule and did 401k matching, stock options, so I couldn't really fault Wal-Mart for this. You're right though, there is a big shirking problem.

My advice: Just do what I did. Go to college full time and work there Saturday and Sunday. Working there two to three days a week netted me about $11,000 - $12,000 a year which is plenty to live off during the school year.

I'm not sure how high of an achiever you are, but I got a 3.95 undergrad in economics and then went on to get a masters because I didn't want to settle for some Sam's Manager. But, in all honestly, being a manager isn't that bad there. STARTING salary for a manager is now $47k I think. They will make you manager with just a 2.5 GPA in psychology. Club Managers, of course, make 6 figures and you can move up quickly in corporate because of the high turnover in Wal-Mart right now due to the fact that they employ shitty workers and are losing market share to better run companies like Cost-Co, Kroger, etc.

tldr; stay at Sam's on the weekend due to flexibility and benefits, get a college degree in something useful, finally, leave.

If you haven't seen studies, college grads seriously make $1mil+ more over their lifetime than people without degrees. Go to college you stupid redneck Tennessee fuck.
>>
>>1196087

I would start searching around see what you can do to get your shoulder fixed. Life is too short to be injured or in pain.

It sucks you wasted money on the test, but it's a meme anyway.

Had a bunch of friends take it, thinking they could make bank working part time as personal trainers.

Turns out no gym anywhere near us pays anymore for ACSM certification than people that don't and just have a sports/lifting background.

The school gym would hire girls that were hot with absolutely zero experience and they just gave them an orientation on how to use the machines. These girls got the same pay as my friends with the ACSM certs.

They spent a shitload of money between the test and the books and got zero ROI on it.
>>
I was making $10.50 an hour in a new York supermarket deli in 2006

I was pretty dumb to quit that job, but world of Warcraft was more important at the time

Sounds like ur being jewd hard, those kikes can't even give u full time. Don't know if situation, but if I didn't need the money I'd ask for a raise and if they need you off just walk out. They want hard working white guys like you, you gotta demand a raise or just walk man
>>
>>1196099
That is so shitty to hear. I went to school for literally 2 years to get training for it and im not doing it lmao. Now im living in the middle of nowhere in tennessee. Yeah I have a potential full time position at servpro (call center) where they wanna give insurance and shit. Thats the only reason i want to do it, plus 12 an hour. I mean its probably gonna suck but maybe not as bad as sams club. I would totally do a trade if my shoulder was better. Im so weak now and I cant even lift because im all fucked up
>>
>>1196095
How do i say i can only work weekends now? I would change that right away, they will be pissed off though
>>
>>1196107

I live in SC bro.

I went to school at USC for exercise science. I was planning to do physical therapy, but that's a completely fucked up career now.

I graduated with honors don't use my degree at all either. I was lucky enough to get hired at a company making great money.

They let us take the ACSM at a discounted price of $150 because the school was basically shilled by them.

The books they sell for the test are like $100 a pop and there are three of them that they wanted to push on us.

I didn't take it because everyone above me said not to and how they regretted it. I never heard of anyone getting an ROI on it.

If you want to do anything involving a gym, then college is a complete waste of time.
>>
>>1196120
The gym was my passion I used to exercise allthe time. But since I injured myself I havent been able to, now im just skinnyfat with training knowledge that i wont really do anything with. I still foam roll and shit at the house but thats about it. I am just trying to find out what to do with my life now then. I was thinking about becoming a gym teacher but that required tons of courses at the community college by me (that is all black). And of course CC's cater to the community right? So in my english course they wanted us to write papers on black lives matter and how its helpful to society and shit, no joke. I just couldnt do it and left. 1500 down for the semester I figured id work at sams to get it back, and I pretty much have.

Also, i dont really understand the 401k shit youre talking about. Do I still get it if i dont touch it or dont understand it?
>>
>>1196126
>>1196120
Also if i was to quit sams, should i put in my 2 weeks? If I get the servpro thing, they will ask me to start right away because i didnt tell them I was working at sams because i didnt think it was worth it
>>
>>1196043
Apply to Costco
>>
>>1196126
im >>1196068
I talked to HR and they set me up in about 30 minutes but knowing sams thats subjective. Do you have a 401 already set up? I just let it sit in the account and everytime a portion of my paycheck went in they matched it up to 8% which is really high. When you quit it will transfer to your next job but now that Im not working I rolled it over to a Roth IRA.
>>
>>1196132
I have no idea what that means lol, we dont have an HR at my club
>>
>>1196077
This.

>worked in a kitchen
>massive turnover
>hit top rate in 3 months which was $10/hr with medical because I threatened to leave for an $11/hr job
>manager had bitch fit and threatened to cut me to min wage
>texted $11/hr job and had it 10 minutes later
>put in 2 weeks to the GM and I was out

>>1196130
Always do the 2 weeks. Makes you look like a god compared your co-workers giving a week of no call no shows.
>>
>>1196138
But who am i trying to impress?
>>
These poor-ass penn thread

At least you'll never be alone \biz\
>>
>>1196087
I would recommend looking into merchandising companies (i.e. Coke/Pepsi) if you think you're shoulder can handle it.

Early start in the day (5am-7am for Pepsi in my area) with forced overtime essentially
Good benefits (with Pepsi)
Good pay depending on area (my starting wage for Merchandiser was $14+/hr)
>>
>>1196140

You're not trying to impress anyone.

You don't want a negative reputation

If you leave Sams on a bad note like this, you can't really use it on a future resume. All it takes is one call and the manager can basically shit all over you.

Companies also keep black lists of really shitty employees. I doubt that Walmart has one, but you don't want to risk fucking your future self over on a minor thing like this
>>
>>1196146
No one calls these places

Jesus Christ /biz/ really is underclass poorfsg
>>
>>1196145
I actually own some pepsi stock too, is that a bonus to them?
>>
>>1196146
Is working some where 1.5 months really worth putting on a resume?
>>
>>1196140
Possible references. You won't need them 5 job from now, but someone might ask for them at your next job. Leaving with an ounce of professionalism is remembered by managers at those shitty jobs.

>go back into the place I worked at 10 month ago
>old timers remember me and treat me well
>GM asks me how things are going and laments over the workplace being a turnover factory.
>GM talks shit on my old manager who gave notice and stopped showing up

If shit went sideways I could have my old job back by Monday.
>>
>>1196157
Okay that makes sense, so you know how above i said i might get that full time job? Well they should tell me early this week, so if i put in my 2 weeks tomorrow i can be done with professionalism and start my new job right away cant i. I just dont know what the reasoning behind leaving will be, what should i tell them?
>>
>>1196155
Nope
But if you love working a lot and being your own boss (seeing you're out in the trade at your stores on your route by yourself)
It ain't to shabby
>>
>>1196162
Don't put in 2 weeks until the offer in writing, the W-2 has been filled out, and you have been given a start date. You don't want to quit a job only to have the other fall through
>>
File: 1455558330112.jpg (727 KB, 1536x2307) Image search: [Google]
1455558330112.jpg
727 KB, 1536x2307
>>1196117
Go and fill out an availability form. If they aren't giving you full time benefits who gives a fuck?

>...they will be pissed off though
Buddy, let me put it to you this way. Employment is a two way street. The employer gives and the employee gives. The Karl Marxian meme of labor exploitation doesn't apply if you negotiate with your employer in a civil way. Plus, I'm 99% sure that they can not discriminate against school schedules as it is built into their policy book which is why I was about to just work weekends for 6 years.
>>
>>1196167
Well I can take the extra few days to myself to recover from the experience worst comes to worst. Im okay on money right now
>>
>>1196168
Yeah but how could i just go in and say, "hey i need weekdays off for school" when they know im not in school??
>>
>I'm the guy who works in the sams club kitchen

No shit? I'm in the nig who sits in the back chatting and grabbing my crotch

You wanna make something of it, white boi?
>>
>>1196171
>apply for school
>get accepted
>register for classes
>show them schedule
>???
>profit?
Or, if they were anything like my club was then they would just say okay whatever. Last time I was there as long as you told them two weeks ahead of time, they would change the schedule from then on.

How old are you?
>>
>>1196168
>>1196171
Couldnt i just go to the boss and say I need my hours cut because im working way to many at this time and I need to focus on my body which isnt healing working so much. Instead of 39, maybe 20ish? Id say thats fair. Everyday i go I want to kill myself
>>
>>1196181
22, and its april cant just register for class and get a schedule the next day, would have to wait till august or whatever
>>
File: 1460663319033.gif (2 MB, 360x264) Image search: [Google]
1460663319033.gif
2 MB, 360x264
>>1196184
Get a medical note and take a leave of absence or use your personal time. As long as you have a doctors note they can't do much about it.

Sam's Club is not a place worth killing yourself over, m8. Go to college and learn to work with your brain not your body. My buddy threw the meat dept trucks and he is still there and has a herniated disc now because of it. It's NOT WORTH.

>>1196185
Then start getting your plans together faggot. Or go to a community college. I know one here in Ohio accepts you the next day and you can start classes the week after that kek.
>>
>>1196140
your next employer senpai
>>
I'm oblivious to the whole 40 hour a week thing. There's nothing as far as I know on the tax side that makes a difference. You're an employee of the company. You're working a near regular week. You maybe be entitled to health insurance if you hit that 40 hours, but lets be honest: 90% of small businesses (that's not Walmart, Target, or Costco) will not offer health insurance.
>>
you should be able to make better money with a Servpro branch, but they likely need service techs more than customer service people.

good thing is if you get good training, Servpro isnt the only cleanup professional gig in town and you now have a skill to shop the market with.
>>
File: DP pikachu.jpg (298 KB, 3600x2400) Image search: [Google]
DP pikachu.jpg
298 KB, 3600x2400
>>1196043
>I hate my job
>I hate my manager
>they jew me on hours and pay
Man that sucks
>I work harder than anyone else
never-mind you deserve your life. Ususally the work smart not hard thing is a meme, but at dead end jobs you really just want to focus on trying NOT to hate your life. The fact that you are disparaging the shirking and joking of your african american colleagues instead of joining shows you were a born and bred cuck.

Never give your full effort unless you have something to gain or something to lose. Obviously your full effort will not lead to a promotion or pay increase. Nor will is it required to retain your position.

>what do you guys think the next step in my life should be?

You should begin working only marginally harder than your coworkers. You will still be the hardest worker in your department and still the most respected by the boss(this is a joke, no one respects you). Use your slacking time to engraciate yourself with the negros. They will cover for you in the future as a fellow member of the assosiation of lazybums. Then either use your phone to browse for better jobs during work(always use company time if avaiable) or research and convince fellow kitchen staff to unionize. If option two; negotiate with manager to make a change to your working enviorment that actually makes your job easier(you work there I am sure you know of 100 easy fixes) and a pay raise for YOURSELF. Your fellow union members will be greatful for the change in working conditions and dont need to know about your raise.

Fuck spellimg I am on a tablet.
>>
>>1196320
Yeah its 12 an hour plus insurance.
>>
Thinking about calling off sick today because im literally sick
>>
>>1196547
Yeah I ended up doing it
>>
>>1196043
Work at Trader Joes. The workers there love talking with people. Wage is pretty good too.
>>
>>1196754
I want somewhere were I can make pretty good money while not wanting to kill myself every time I go. Plus insurance too if possible
>>
See if anyone in your family is an electrician or a plumber you can make a lot of money doing that and you don't need a college degree, if you have no connections it's pretty much impossible to do cause you need to be in the union
>>
>>1196929
Yeah I did look into that desu, I don't know anyone in the area
>>
>>1196943
Yeee
>>
>>1197087
?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.