[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wasn't sure whether to ask here or /adv/: I got my first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: unquestioned_authority.jpg (47 KB, 400x195) Image search: [Google]
unquestioned_authority.jpg
47 KB, 400x195
Wasn't sure whether to ask here or /adv/:

I got my first professional job in January. They paid several thousand dollars over the course of two months for me to get some industry certs required for a multi-year project and they rely on me for several important functions.

However, I plan to relocate across the country later this year for other reasons. This is a rural area and they will likely be unable to find someone to replace me without at least two months of training and another several thousand dollars of investment. I came into a lot of money off a longshot investment and could quit tomorrow if I wanted, or I could take the certs they paid for to a much better job in my new area.

So, I think I have the advantage in any sort of negotiation. How can I make my position clear without coming off as an asshole? I realize that's a shitty attitude to bring to work, and normally I wouldn't consider it, but I don't really have to put up with their shit anymore. I don't want more money, benefits or vacation time; I just want them to treat me decently. How can I say, look, you kind of need to keep me at least a little happy?
>>
>>1182564
Formulate precisely what it is you want and ask them for it.
diclaimer, I don't have a professional job
>>
>>1182564

i would check my contract, and any collective contracts, if applicable, as well as local and national laws on the matter.

it could very likely, almost certainly, be that you have to pay them for the certs if you don't stay for a predetermined amount of time with the company.

you have less leverage than you know :^)

unless you're working with amateurs
>>
>>1182572
I just want to tell them I'm more than happy to continue doing my job, but they keep going on about how I'm "not acting like part of the office family" because I don't really socialize. This wasn't a problem at my previous job where I made lots of friends, I just don't really fit in and my coworkers are pretty rude. I also just really hate the "office family" rhetoric because it's basically trying to elicit familial loyalty so they can fuck you over and make you feel guilty about it.

I can get up and leave at any moment, and you're gonna throw this at me?
>>
>>1182583
I have more than enough money to pay them back. Money is probably never going to be an issue for me again unless I make some catastrophic investments. Work is now for my personal satisfaction.

The thing is, they would have to waste time training my replacement in the middle of the project.

On that note, how long before I leave should I tell them? I'm afraid if I tell them now, about six months early, they'll just fire me on the spot which would be embarrassing. But I want to at least do some right by them, give them time to prepare. Things will really start to wind down in October, which is when I planned to stay till.
>>
>>1182584

get up and leave. you are seeing right through their bs. i'd do exactly as you say you could. the sooner the better.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.