[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone in the trades, what is your opinion on becoming a carpenter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: carpentry-2.jpg (198 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
carpentry-2.jpg
198 KB, 800x600
Anyone in the trades, what is your opinion on becoming a carpenter? I live in Canada (Ontario) and you can become a licensed carpenter, like all other trades. My dad is a plumber and my brother is currently a 3rd year apprentice under him and will get his license in about a year. The only thing is most "carpenters" i have seen working with my dad on jobs as a labourer are just some buddy who can put studs up on 16 inch centres and not licensed. Nothing wrong with that but if i am going to go to school and take about 4 years to become licensed i would like it to be a valuable skill and the pay that goes with it.

Me, my dad and my brother have plans to start doing some small renos etc. My end-game goal would most likely after getting licensed try to become self-employed or keep up with the renos. If not work for a company, either way becoming licensed gives me the option to do all three.

I'm also scared i have some meme warped view of what a carpenter does and the work experience.
>>
Short supply of welders in Canada, that would be a good choice if you want security. I'm an engineering dropout, going to community college in the fall to get a carpentry certificate. You should watch New Yankee Workshop.
>>
>>1180717
>I'm also scared i have some meme warped view of what a carpenter does and the work experience.

don't be afraid of heights, a lot of carpenting starters fall down and even kill themselves because they have a bad sense of balance.
>>
>>1180729

What are your plans after you get your that certificate, is that just a course to give you the essential skills to get started to do your apprenticeship or are you from a US state that doesn't require any of that?

>>1180733

Not going to lie i am not too fond of heights but have worked in some heights fine. Worked around lots of 6-15ft holes working with my dad and doing some concrete forming with a guy he knew in the beginning of winter. Probably laughable heights compared to what i would be doing.
>>
>>1180755
no im from the maritimes. its a part time 1yr program. i can get an apprenticeship after that. my dads a carpenter too
>>
>>1180756

Good luck with that man, i am thinking of applying to one of those too. Just hate that it is one more year of not being an apprentice and adding to your time etc. Can you add the time from that per-apprentice course to your total hours?
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 537x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 537x399
Carpenters are the shit I used to be one before I became a full time forex and crypto trader! Learn how anon! You can build your own house! You will never regret it! I have tons of free time and I still build houses but now I build them for MYSELF! I build earth bag homes and there's still lots are carpenter skills needed to build them! If not for the money to it for the knowledge!
>>
>>1180733
Yeah no joke, when my deck was being built a chippie apprentice fell off a ladder and impaled his leg on a star spike. Was gnarly as fuck but it was minimal damage and missed his major artery.
>>
>>1180717
Electrician.
Valuable training and you won't be destroying your body like if you did welding.
>>
A friend of mine is a carpenter in CDN. He advises to become a "red seal" tradesman. Hopefully you know what that is.
>>
>>1180717
Do you think anyone that actually works construction is shitposting on 4chan in the middle of a friday?
>>
>>1182423
I work construction, but im an architect

A good carpenter can be VERY well paid if you land the right proyects, try to specialize in falsework and you can earn big bucks.
>>
>>1182413

Yeah, carpentry is a red seal trade. Basically means you can work anywhere in Canada with your trade and not have to re-train or take anything. Pretty sure you can even transfer it over to some US states if you move there.

>>1182423

I made this thread yesterday, albeit at like 1pm.

>>1182439

Really
>>
Carpentry is a good trade to know,but not something ypu want to do forever. Carpenter for 20 years bulging discs in back. Alot of coworkers strung out on pain meds. Pick up some mechanichal trade knowledge so you can do everything they all want to hire the jack of all trades guy.
>>
>>1182446
Yes, falsework is great, however you may want to get hands on some other carpenters, plumbers, and handymen overall, after that start your own network and become a contractor, and boom no more extreme strain on your body and you can still do what you like
>>
>>1182456
>>1182468

Yeah that is something i am definitely worried about, the long term effects of being one. My brother and dad are plumbers so i could easily apprentice under one of them. My dad also has his gas license so i could get that too from him. Not that interested in plumbing to be honest but could get into it for the money. My dad already works for a few contractors and knows a lot of different trades guys.

We were thinking of starting to do a few renos and i would love that. I would just want to get a skill, and a licensed one at that some sort of credential.
>>
>>1180717
Only go into carpentry if you want to become a builder, otherwise you're wasting your time.

Better yet, go major in Civil Engineering after working in carpentry for (3-5 year learning as much as you can (i.e. outside of work too).

If you work hard and follow through this, you'll be able to become a certified builder in your area and have the networking & resources to succeed.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.