[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Truck driving jobs worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: beard.jpg (25 KB, 491x363) Image search: [Google]
beard.jpg
25 KB, 491x363
Is this a good place to go in the future with college degrees becoming retarded?
>>
>>1175050
I looked and has come downfalls. Hard to land first job, shit pay, harassed by management thanks to big bro tech now standard. Harassed by coppers and inspectors, liable for everything. Big bucks for initial training. Rectal scan for border crossing work. I think I'll pass for now unless demand, pay and conditions improve, truckers union was broken a long time ago.
>>
>>1175050

You can make 100k as a railroad conductor and be home a lot more. I work for the railroad and own my own business as well. I get at least 24 hours off between each railroad shift.
>>
>truck driving

Dude, go to /o/ and ask. They have a truck drivers general thread where people talk about what trucks they have, who they work for and what they haul.

Theres always people in there asking for advice on things.

The most common response to new people to the job is make sure you dont mind being totally alone for weeks at a time, cant have any drugs or alcohol at all or youll be fired and barred from driving for up to 7 years, and onyl take on the job if you just really like driving, or have no better alternatives because its not the greatest job.
>>
>>1175088
Yeah because there's just thousands of open railroad conductor jobs paying 100k retard.

>>1175050
I hear it's shit. I mean it's easy to get hired and pays decent but when you factor in how many hours you will be working it comes to like minimum wage. High stress and you're forced to work more hours than you're legally permitted to keep up with the job demands.

Driving long hours sucks. I commute far and drive a lot for work and even on four or five hour trips I see myself dozing off and drifting lanes sometimes on the highway. I can't imagine literally doing it every day. Sometimes those trips are torture. Not to mention spending that much time driving really fucks you up physically.
>>
>>1175130

There are tons of conductor jobs available if you're willing to travel. 100k isn't hard at most terminals if you aren't a switchman.
>>
>>1175050
Self-driving vehicles will change the trucking industry in 15 years.
>>
>>1175187

>if you're willing to travel

Im interested. Lets hear these opportunities. Be specific because i think youre full of shit. How do you get them?
>>
>>1175297

You apply at any fucking class I railroad. They're crazy busy in the summer. All you need is your high school. Of the Soo guys in North Dakota I've never met a conductor or engineer actually from north Dakota.
>>
>>1175050
in japan they're already automating entire fleets
>>
>>1175605
To be fair, there's a bullet train going well over any other transportation, and in america, we're still using cars.
>>
>>1175256
This
Any driving and piloting will be done by AI soon
>>
>>1175667
Imagine if Apple and Google started to mass produce self driving cars, and then, lobbied to make it illegal to manually drive cars like we do.
>>
>>1175694
Really? 80,000lbs of shit rolling down the highway under AI? Just when AI and electronic exploits are showing up in late model vehicles? Just do a search on vehicle hacking.
>>
>>1175757
Yeah, its not like anyone would trust their banking through a computer.
>>
>>1175256
I remember when people said the same thing about pilots when auto-pilot was invented.
>>
>>1176231

Bank accounts get hacked all the time.
>>
>>1175050

Meh.

It's decent money quick, but all that time on the road is not for everyone.

And it fucks up your back, cardio, and muscle health in no time flat.

I'd say only if you took reg time off. Like 4 weeks on, 1 week off. That kinda thing.
>>
>>1176239
You can't get run over by a bank account. Seriously, automation to the trucking industry is here, but they will never go driverless, at most pay a monkey min wage and give him an emergency brake pedal. Also, AI trucks could easily be jacked, some are hauling a cool million of cargo.

>>1176273
I don't think it's like the old days, driver is shackled down with spybot, management starts riding you for stopping for a piss break or whatever. It's unhealthy in too many ways, better off flipping burgers.
>>
>>1175050
If you have a decent work ethic and a brain, you can be making serious bank after a few years once you own your own truck.
No barrier to entry other than a bank loan for the training, and if you can't even get that, some companies will train you.
>>
>>1176318
You're retarded. There is a huge shortage of drivers, it's almost to crisis levels. And despite this companys keep doing everything that they can to stick it to drivers for years. They want nothing more than to replace them.

No benefits, no pay, no expensive training costs, no turnover. The turnover, jesus christ. So expensive. No stopping, send your truck out one night and it drivers across country in 24 hours. Don't have to worry about some driver trying to get a couple extra hours in and falling asleep at the wheel. And what the fuck do you mean theft? You think people are going to be gunning down AI trucks on the highway with harpoons like in the Fast and the Furious? Lmao, compare the odds of that happening to some druggie truck driver taking a box here and there on a shipment.

Not looking down on truck drivers even though they are annoying as fuck on the roads. It's a real shitty job but vital to society. Which is exactly why automation is coming very soon.

As soon as automated cars are here trucks will be the first thing replaced.
>>
>>1176318
This has to be a joke. Automated trucks could send a distress call to any local police department to respond to the scene if the truck breaks down. Tires for the automated trucks could be designed for the cargo and lifespan in mind instead of driver comfort.

Refueling and repair stops could be calculated in such a way where secure stopping areas could be built for the trucks.

Any trucking company could afford these things after just a year of having driverless trucks.

Give it twenty to thirty years and you will have completely driverless trucks.
>>
>>1176549
I am thinking, an AI truck, like AI anything, is ripe for hacking and theft. Inside jobs would crop up first, programmers leak their shit all over the net. You can already hack some late model cars with bluetooth, you can't drive it away but you can disable it - engine off. That's ripe for a jacking, kidnapping whatever. I agree, I looked into it but will not enter an industry where the worker is treated like shit, no matter the demand.

>>1176569
Yes, I agree all that automation is here already, except driverless, will never happen. It's mostly to monitor the driver. A fully AI truck could be disabled along with its remote capability, be unloaded and loaded into another trailer long before anyone came looking for it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.