[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/, take me back to when you were 18 or 19 years old,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: hey baby.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hey baby.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
Hey /biz/, take me back to when you were 18 or 19 years old, or however old you were when you found a career that you wanted to pursue. Aside from job growth, and employment rates and other important factors, how did you know what you wanted to do? 21 year old here
>>
I've come to a point in my life I need to pick something. I tried paramedicine but I ended up dropping that because the fear of PTSD from the career. I need to find something else to do and I'm just not sure. Trying to find something, any tips or reccomendations would be much appreciated.
>>
I'm 18 now, and I know what I want to do, that is, business. Ya know, be your own boss type of thing. I make more than most my age, hell, I make more than my dad, but the thing that keeps me going is that fact that I know how lucky I am, and I am lucky, and I know for a fact that if I went down the job route:
>school
>highschool
>college
>job
I would have been fucking miserable, or atleast, not as happy as I am at this point.
My advice is simple, go with whatever you think you can do.
>>
>>1174969
We're a slow board, you don't need to bump more than every eight hours or so.

Can't really answer your question since I've just 'known' for a while. Although, I did almost choose something different. In high school, my class went on a field trip to a university, and we all got a copy of their undergraduate bulletin, and I, by chance, landed on a page and started reading. As I read about the major, and the classes I said in my head, "Wow, I really want to do that!"
>>
>>1174977
I'm in a similar boat i'm very lucky I had such a great father who taught me very many useful life skills such as interviewing skills and the like, I'm a really smart person, I just don't know where to go at this point. A part of me wants to go into IT because i'm good with technology, another maybe law enforcement, idk man shits rough.

>>1174984
>Can't really answer your question since I've just 'known' for a while. Although, I did almost choose something different. In high school, my class went on a field trip to a university, and we all got a copy of their undergraduate bulletin, and I, by chance, landed on a page and started reading. As I read about the major, and the classes I said in my head, "Wow, I really want to do that!"

And what was that, that peaked your interest?
>>
>>1174942

Knew the absolute non-negotiable stuff for my interpretation of a good life:

>work for myself
>do work that allows me freedom and the potential to make a lot of money
>nothing physical (I was a labourer)

and worked back from there. My advice would be to find something that fits your idea of what you want your life to be like
>>
>>1175043
>My advice would be to find something that fits your idea of what you want your life to be like

A small house, with my girlfriend of 4 years. I really don't want much, and i'm rather humble. I want to be making a surplus of money so we won't be reliant on loans / debt, and that would be all I need. I rather not work a laborious job so I can go to the gym and not be sore all the time, and I agree, I want to do something that allows me freedom in my off time. We have similar wants, what did you decide career wise?
>>
>>1175024
Operations research.
>>
>>1175048

I gamble/trade on football (divegrass). Don't be discouraged; I spent literally years trying to work out what I wanted to do. I tried college, jobs, taking personality tests, everything. It was all I thought about from age 19-21. (22 now).

I got into gambling because a friend introduced to matched betting - using free bets from bookmakers for risk-free profit. And he introduced me to it because he knew I wanted to make some money outside of work. If you keep moving towards what you want you will come across opportunities.

So, I had a go at gambling because I was always good at predicting certain outcomes in games, and I hated my job and was willing to do anything at that point. Do things you enjoy and have a natural advantage in, I would say. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, I'm kind of high.
>>
>>1175065

Is that what you do for an income ?
>>
>>1175069

Yeah. It's like a poor man's version of stock market trading.
>>
>>1174942
I used a process of elimination, taking jobs with low entry requirements or via colleges that guarantee employment or your tuition back. Took about 10 years to find something I'm passionate about, but I've got some interesting stories from those 10 years so I wouldn't call it wasted.

Two pieces of advice I'd give myself at your age: cost of living matters more than salary, and when you like what you do you'll know it.
>>
>>1175065
>matched betting - using free bets from bookmakers for risk-free profit.
Low hanging fruit! Free money! Money grows on trees!

You will have a sad outcome mate.
>>
>>1176594

Sounds like you've had a bad outcome.

Like I said, I STARTED off with that. Why don't you try looking it up first?

There's an old joke: an economist walks past a £10 note laying on the ground. He leaves it where it is.
Why? Because according to the laws of economics it has already been picked up.

There are opportunities to make money, but none of them come to people who discredit things before they've seen them.
>>
>>1174942
I just got inspired to find a job that would really suit me as a person so I am getting the necessary qualifications to get there.

There is no more information I can tell you other than think to yourself "what would be a really cool job that I would enjoy waking up to do that makes money?"

For some it's doctor, trader, tradie, psychologist, psychiatrist, computer engineering, code monkey.
>>
>>1175065
This does sound quite plausible in theory.
Basically a bookie has to adjust his odds based on what people are betting to guarantee he makes a profit -> the odds are determined by what people who are betting think will happen -> if they are wrong, and you are right, you (can) make fat stacks.
>>
When I was in 8th grade, we had a project to create a "mock radio show" for this gifted and talented class that I was in. That was my favorite class project I've ever done, and it made me realize what I want to do. Now I'm in my last year of high school, and I've been accepted to a local college for their broadcasting program. I guess I can thank my teacher for my realization.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.