[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is buying physical gold bullion a good idea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: gold.jpg (38 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
gold.jpg
38 KB, 615x410
Is buying physical gold bullion a good idea?
>>
>>1159918
no, invest in money generating asset not a piece of shiny metal
inb4 muh shiff
>>
>>1159926
I'm really bad at working that stuff out, any tips? I figure if I spend say a few grand on some gold it can sit around at home and I've go it at least. It isn't necessarily bad to buy, is it?
>>
File: Clonked my Bonkers.jpg (45 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
Clonked my Bonkers.jpg
45 KB, 500x354
>>1159918

It's an inflation hedge mostly. A "buy and hold" asset, a contingency.

The past 100 years or so have been a Ponzi scheme of buying shit and deferring payment to the next generation...and the next...and the next...meanwhile dollars backed by nothing are printed to pay for it. This is unsustainable and eventually the system will collapse. Fiat money has a 100% failure rate through all history. No exceptions.

This "recovery" we've had after the '08 recession has been phony. The next recession, or even depression, will be worse than ''01 and '08 combined, and in recessions, people run, in part, to precious metals, and with good reason.

Peter Schiff and Meme Maloney are right.
>>
Waste of capital
>>
>>1160128
Not really. It's like buying gold but with lower liquidity.

hunkering down during recessions is pretty out of meta as well. Recessions are an amazing time to make money with modern analytics. I suggest you git gud before considering buying.
>>
No. Slow oxydation and a single scratch on your gold will make it worthless
>>
>>1160214
>Slow oxydation and a single scratch on your gold will make it worthless

u wot ?
>>
only if you're already rich and trying to protect yourself against recession
>>
>>1159918
Silver is cheaper, and more useful.
>>
>>1159918
yes 5-15% gold/silver.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
I like it because it looks cool, hardly consider it investing
>>
>>1159918
No.

Shipping, storing, and securing it all costs money. The singular reason to buy physical gold is if your a prepper who has run out of room for food ammunition and water and want something more wealth dense to hoard for a future catastrophe.
>>
>>1159918
Yes.

You should have at least 15% of your assets stored in precious metals
>>
You're better off "investing" in bullets than gold.
>>
>>1160118

>This time is it.

I'm pretty sure I could make more money shorting it as people like you and Peter Schiff bet their whole life that at this particular moment during the entire average lifespan of a national currency is the moment the whole system crashes.

If not now, then when? Two years from now? Maybe three? So if that's the case then why not short it until the moment the panic sets in? Cause I sure as shit don't see it now.

Btw, you also have to explain why the inflation from the past five years hasn't been priced in.
>>
File: RutheniumCoin.jpg (25 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
RutheniumCoin.jpg
25 KB, 299x300
No. Silver and ammunition in common calibers are the only metals to invest in right now...
>>
What sold me on gold is the fact that it is as rare in the rest of the universe as it is on earth. It will stay a rare element with very unique features for the rest of my/your life. Extracting it is expensive and it has many uses because of said features. This means it will be a value store, even if cultural significance and paper value fluctuates.
That being said, i dont know about short term investing, and storing a significant amount is bothersome and risky. But keeping a few percent of your value in gold seems like a no-brainer.
>>
File: good-delivery-bar.jpg (42 KB, 367x512) Image search: [Google]
good-delivery-bar.jpg
42 KB, 367x512
Bullion can be a good idea, but it's not necessarily so.

Like other anons said, do not concern yourself with bullion if you are expecting catastrophe. Batteries, lighters, food, and ammunition are for that.

Buying bullion versus some paper/electronic certificate for gold is something serious. It should not be taken lightly, because you could be cursing yourself one day for either not enough or too much exposure. Pros & cons of bullion...

+It's yours, so fondle it. You have immediate access to the asset.
+Potential to sell on the black market/gift to somebody. Less paper trail.
+Can't be destroyed by any natural or anthropogenic disaster.

-Theft is a salient risk. The less people that know about your gold, the better.
-No regular income. Some approach gold with no hopes of income, though, and only see it as a shield for wealth, holding it indefinitely. Others hope to reap capital gains, but...
-Bullion gains are taxed at a higher rate than stocks, up to 28% under the 'collectibles' label.
-Greater fool theory. If you actually plan on making money with physical gold, and not just possessing a conversation piece/financial comfort blanket, you need to know greater fools. You need to know trailer trash that can be persuaded to spend what little they have on american eagles.
-Travelling with gold can be challenging. Don't get your gold confiscated by banana republic customs authorities.

Gold is not usually a good instrument for financial gain, unless you know exactly what the fuck you're doing (like N.M. Rothschild in Portgual). If it's safety you want, consider weapons or supplies.
>>
File: the financial markets Table.jpg (3 MB, 1082x9999) Image search: [Google]
the financial markets Table.jpg
3 MB, 1082x9999
pic always important.

Despite the derivatives being so huge, many of them are cash settled. So the money just goes in a circle. Many are different products, Oil futures only get oil, gold futures only get gold, etc...
Copper is probably gonna be great. but its easy to recycle.

Also you have to monitor the prices.

Physical gold is an easy way to get cucked and shilled.

Its about 6% cost to exchange gold.
Then Cap gains taxes, which can be avoided though Self-Directed IRA. But that has fees as well.

All in all it has some unique trade risks that need to be accounted for.

Your best bet is to set up a we buy gold business. and buy for 30% under spot. or some such thing.
>>
one guy made a killing on pawn stars. he sold a car for gold just before the price shot up.
>>
>>1161464
fucking faget gtfo

paw stars are staged gaylord perhaps you should join em little gay booi
>>
>>1159918

Only as a long term holding.

Depending where you buy and how much you will be looking at about 5% over market value, and about the same when you sell it. A 10% loss right off the top is a lot when you think about it.
>>
File: 09_ZI2rfU2.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
09_ZI2rfU2.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>1160214
>No. Slow oxydation and a single scratch on your gold will make it worthless
>>
>>1160214
well if it oxidizes then it's worthless i agree with that much
>>
>>1159918
not as an investment.
>>
>>1162472
you can't say categorically it can't work.
it just requires timing and the profit will not be very much.
>>
>>1159918
>pump cash into physical gold bullion
>bury it in your backyard
>gubmint can't do shit

biz 101 bruh, you should know this.
>>
>>1162279
what are noble metals...
>>
>>1159918
Probably not if you're Canadian lmao
>>
>>1159918
Yes, BUT I wouldn't expect to turn any real profit on it. It's a hedge against inflation, and a way of diversifying your portfolio. That said, right now there's a huge amount of noise in the market due to hoarders/preppers/dumbass Republicans who are still holding the shit they bought at the peak and keep pretending "OH! MY $2199/ozt after premium is still a great value!!!"
>>
>>1160118
schiff life
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.