[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know shit about private vehicle sales laws
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 100_3455-1.jpg (37 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
100_3455-1.jpg
37 KB, 400x300
Ok, put up my Blazer 1994 w/ 200K+ miles for sale on craigslist.
Beforehand I txted buyers the typical shit. Underbody was very rusty, carpet showing, holes exposed but not all the way through, rust on frame. So we finally meet up guys checking it out, pops hood, revs motor, checks radiator fluid, etc tire kicking shit.
Guy get on his back literally laying under vehicle, checks rust and mounts, pokes at floor under, rust falls. Guys bitch wife even says to stop poking at it. I say "yea the underbody is rusty like I said, should be fine though. Frame seems solid but has rust too, Just had a gas tank put it from a shop a few weeks ago"
So the ppl test drive and eventually buy it. All this took an hour. I write up bills of sale (my dumbass forgets to put as-is, but in my state all private sales unless noted with warranty etc. Im no dealer.
So I sell it for $1300 cash. They leave.

Now here comes 3/10/16. Cunt wife calls me raging. OMG ANON! gas tank fell off and the frame cracked! YOU KNEW FRAME was broken! LEMON LAWS! durr
-I reply, yo bitch, I told you fags about rust.
-She says NO we durr hurr trusted you when you said the frame was solid.
- Bitch, your husband was dick in the dirt under the car and saw the rust. It was your haggling point.
-This is a 20+ yr old car. I sold it as-is.
-OMG we want to see the shop that put in your fuel tank anon! were suing!

So im getting taken to small claims now. Their grounds are that I knew the frame was unsafe, the shop had a legal obligation to tell me car was unsafe to drive and they want full refund with DMV fees for plating the car.

My thing is I sold it like a month before this. These cunts had the car for a damn near month. Fuck, all I know, they could ran it into a ditch.
Well, never been to court. Is my ass covered. Its a $1300 goddamn car. Wtf are these people expecting.
Pic related, but not the same vehicle.
>>
>is my ass covered

Depends on your local laws. In my state lemon laws apply to dealers only. Private sales are just that. Private transactions with little to no laws governing them and certainly no expectation of warranty by the seller unless noted. No different from buying a house. It's on the BUYER to get it inspected.

Unless you specifically stated in a bill of sale it came with a warranty or claimed it was mechanically sound, you're fine.

On the court part I can tell you from personal experience; the less you say, the better. The burden of proof will be on them to prove that you represented in some way that it DIDNT have a bad frame. It should be as simple as saying 'your honor, I never said the frame was good. Motion to dismiss'. Counter for legal fees.
>>
>>1157570
Of course you're covered you tard. There is literally nothing they can do.
>>
Pretty sure all private vehicle sales in the US are as-is. Even if you DID lie about the condition I don't think there is anything they can do.
>>
>>1157570

Have you been subpoeanad yet?

people threaten this shit all the time and never follow through. Until a subpoeana hits your door you dont have to do shit. I've been through something similar dont sweat it nigga.

If you do get subpoeaned, show up to court. Bring as much evidence as possible. State to the judge what happened.

I'm 99% sure all auto sales are "as-is" unless specifically told otherwise via a warranty document. This is for all 50 states.

Lemon law does not apply this is a used car. lemon law applies to new cars.

Sounds like some back country fucks hopped up on meth and koolaid who just want to make empty threats.

Godspeed.
>>
>>1157643
Funny thing is these are some dumbass hicks who have 4 kids. Cuntwife was like "omahgerd you put muh chilluns in danger, you knew car was gonna break!"

Yes,surprisingly they did file a summons and complaint.
>>
>>1157570

I've heard my mom say this shit to people, it's a way to get your money back and be a bitch

my mom is a little bastard

so tell them to talk to your lawyer and they, since they can't seemingly afford $1,300 won't do shit, won't hire a lawyer, just keep saying "I told you ________ and you agreed to the sale"

no matter if it's true or not, memories aren't always 100% you know, but as you remember it you sold it as is, you told them that, and her husband said "_______________________"

it's your word vs theirs, and for them to actually get money from you, they have to hire a lawyer which they can't afford
>>
>>1157663

do they have a lawyer? or one of those pseudo law student soon to be lawyers?

can you afford a lawyer?

have you called and talked to a lawyer
>>
>>1157570
Any good judge will believe you just based on the price. For $1300 you aren't getting a car that doesn't need work.
>>
I've consulted with a lawyer but not hired one. This is small claims, you don't need a lawyer but it would help. He quoted me $300 and he's cheap to rep me but even he says there's not much they can do or win at all. I just want input is all. So no haven't hired a lawyer.
I don't think they have a lawyer. They sent me a very unprofessional letter. Claimed they are suing. But if you had a lawyer you would mention one.

They're just asshurt as fuck. Sucks to suck.
You buy a used ass old car you're tolling the dice.
>>
>>1157590
>>1157791

Having been to claims court quite a few times myself for other stuff, I agree with this. Just answer pointed questions in a pointed manner. Do not volunteer information, and calmly state you were selling the vehicle as is and the husband clearly knew the condition of the vehicle. He inspected it VERY THOROUGHLY and made no mention of wanting to have a 3rd party look at the vehicle. He deemed it fair and equitable to purchase the vehicle at the price he paid and you sold it to him.

Done. Fin. Terminaste.
>>
>>1157663

well it's pretty open and shut then.

Show up to court with a suit. Don't blabber on, just explain the facts. You sold a car, here were the facts and there was no warranty. The judge will likely laugh these bumpkins out of the court.

I know it's a pain now but this is a good opportunity to see how court works, especially when angry idiots don't know the law.

You did nothing wrong anon, there was no warranty. this should be a simple matter when you get to court.
>>
>>1157891
Thanks a lot. Yes I've been stressing about it. Its not until April. I'm putting together an entire packet for my defense and a copy for the judge.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.