[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey/biz/ do you have any recommendations to someone who doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160227_161048.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160227_161048.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
Hey/biz/ do you have any recommendations to someone who doesn't fully know what they want to do as a career? I'm a smart guy and successful I just don't know what I want to go to school for. Any recommendations will be much appreciated. What did you go to school for? How successful are you now?
>>
>>1142172
>Hey/biz/ do you have any recommendations to someone who doesn't fully know what they want to do as a career?

Literally EVERYONE your age has the same problem unless they are being forced into a career path by their parents.

The answer to your question is, just go with what you're good at. Once you're in college, network like crazy because that will be more important than just studying hard to get good grades.

if you're an alpha chad who was president of the Omega Kappa Phi society or something, then banking/consulting are the obvious career paths for you.

If you're a introverted betafag who can't network to save your life, then atleast get good at a technical skill like programming, CAD software, graphic design, system/network admin or database administration.
>>
>>1142179
Thanks for the honest advice I really appreciate it. I was actually thinking of taking a systems admin course in September because i'm really good with technology. I really appreciate the insight again.
>>
Anyone can give you some decent answers but you will learn the most about yourself when you get to college, trust me. You'll see how you do in social situations, presentations, reports, papers, research, exams, and from there you'll have a much better picture on what you're most suitable at. That's why so many people shift majors.

But that doesn't tell you anything and is pretty much like saying that you should fuck up and make mistakes before learning anything. You don't have to fail to learn. Here's my advice as a 19 year old junior in uni who's going to finish college at 20.

>Look at the majors you're interested in. Now you have a feel for what you like. But is it viable?
>Look at the job market, salaries, work locations and your family connections. Do these make the major you're interested in practical and doable? If yes, great. You can do what you love and stay job secure. If not, you can take the risk of doing something you might find out you're not as interested in as you first thought.
>Now that you've weeded out the shitty stuff, look up some syllabuses on the majors you're interested in. Do some coursework for 4 months at the least and see how it feels. Now this is important, DO THE WORK. If you can't manage yourself for shit then you won't get anywhere. You're better off fucking up in college and learning from your mistakes than forcing yourself to do something you don't fully appreciate to begin with.
>Read the textbooks, do the research, write the essays, find exercises with answer keys and do them. What you're doing in 4 months of paced, dedicated work will reflect what you'll do in 4-5 years of college. Did you enjoy it? Did you appreciate it? Etc. You can reflect for yourself
>Mix up your knowledge sources with youtube, podcasts, articles, forums, etc. Don't just stick to the books. Archimedes had fun doing what he was doing, he wasn't doing it because it was practical or "important to society" (conjecture on my part)
>>
>>1142200
If you followed this advice then congrats. You've got a better grasp of your course than 99% of wide-eyed freshman undergrads. You also won't have to waste time realizing after 6 years that nobody is hiring for your job or that you actually hated your course. If you really get ahead, then there are usually some tests you can take that allow you to move to the next subject if you show that you're proficient.

Save money, save time, spend more of your life on what you wanted to do and what gets you money.

If you think people suck that won't change even if you're an extrovert. You'll just get exhausted dealing with things you didn't want to deal with to begin with. Put yourself in situations that let you make the most of yourself like what the other anon said. This is the basis of job-fit. It's not just organizations that lose when employees aren't suitable for the job. Employees themselves get stressed more, burn out, then quit jobs they shouldn't have taken in the first place.

Don't just do it for the money (if it isn't easy). Do it because
>1.) you enjoy it
>2.) you're good at it
>3.) it pays well

If you really are free to pick anything (no financial problems) then why not pick the absolute best? Be practical and passionate. Then make the most out of it.
>>
File: 1362611260177.jpg (378 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1362611260177.jpg
378 KB, 1920x1080
>>1142172
Look you're not gonna KNOW something until you actually do it.
The trick that made me figure medicine out was hearing, "Do what keeps you up at night"

In the meantime, for planning your career, you're gonna want to go spend a few days shadowing people doing the job you're on track on at a small, medium and large company.

ramit explains narrowing down the job search very specifically in How to find your Dreamjob, under triplemaxwageslave here.
http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p

If you do the visitation work you'll preload some thought work instead of guessing, you'll KNOW very well your desired role and responsibilities and have the curriculum of people ALREADY IN THE POSITION you.
You're not gonna be in useless filler courses you can craft a fully hirable CV, vs a CV kind of related to the field.
>>
>>1142200
What you're saying does make a lot of sense thank you for your input. I've always wanted to go into a job that helps people directly, since i'm a well spoken and kind person. I was considering joining the RCMP (canadian police) or going into the IT field. I feel like I would be more passionate about the police force, and it pays really well. But the only downside is I would be a ltitle worried for my safety along with my families.

>>1142250
What does the quote "Do what keeps you up at night" mean to you?
>>
>>1142172

There are five main paths in life.

1) Discharge your strength.
>Military, Government, Athletics

2) Seek harmony.
>Religion, Social Service, Philanthropy

3) Embrace hedonism.
>Banking, Entertainment, Travel

4) Seek truth.
>Science, Technology, History

5) Define reality.
>Art, Literature, Music

Think about which path you want to take.

When you've figured that out, think about a job that relates to that path and is acceptable to you.

If you're a hedonist, then think about going into investment banking and enjoying all the status and luxury that it offers.

If you want to be powerful, then consider being a police officer or soldier as a way to discharge your strength.

You might find that you want two different paths to intersect, in which case you'll have to discover a career that encompasses each of them.

Introspection is key.

Find your bliss, and you will know which path is right for you.
>>
File: 23072591_c32f32f46f2.jpg (46 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
23072591_c32f32f46f2.jpg
46 KB, 500x375
>>1142260
I was about 25 having been spinning my wheels in college for a while. Listening to podcasts about success and entrepreneurship, thinking I'm an real adult now. wtf. I'm at a crossroads, I can go balls deep on real estate and suck all these dicks for months. But I'm still in a position to finish school. what do I do with my life, was the funk of my life. When I heard the above quote.

I was either watching tv, and playing games or reading health and medical books. Real estate was nice b/c of the growth, but God once I got home I was like fuck it I don't want to do the work to get ahead for tomorrow and that was a problem.

So for you Are you gonna polish your boots and iron your uniform with glee, while removing the body fluids from the intoxicated assholes on today's uniform. While reading up on the law and recent court rulings to make yourself a better cop.
vs
IT is a very broad field you're gonna have to narrow that down. You're gonna need to be reviewing the plans for the ongoing and upcoming IT Projects.
IT along with most other industries needs consumer facing people as well so you can definitely get that helping people feel.
but yeah Down here in the empire of Trumpia the police do ride alongs all the time. and I'm sure you can impress a few IT guys enough to take you seriously.

http://gizmodo.com/its-not-my-job-to-plug-things-in-and-other-nightmar-1694130120

http://imgur.com/gallery/iJD8f

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/senpai/neily-eng.htm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/six-strange-stories-of-crime-cops-and-courts-1.2886438
>>
Fuck school unless you can get it for "free"
Do construction, learn a sustainable trade with low saturation
>>
>>1142316
You do have a point with that, I was specifically looking at becoming a server administrator. I have a lot of connections within that field so I could get my first job pretty easy hopefully. Right now I was a little torn at which one I want to go into, I'm leaning more towards IT though. At this point i'm just unsure if there's something else I would rather be doing.

>That imgur link
LOL
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.