[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>graduated with a 3.6 GPA in STEM (physics degree) >don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 960x711) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 960x711
>graduated with a 3.6 GPA in STEM (physics degree)
>don't remember anything I learned
>don't even remember newton's laws
>will never ever use what I learned in my degree in real life
>currently doing a normalfag job as an associate at a private equity firm with comfy salary, paid holidays and travel

So what exactly is the point of encouraging millions of people to go into STEM if they end up in jobs completely unrelated to STEM?

Whats the agenda here? Am i missing something?
>>
I have held the opinion for a while now that encouraging STEM is done because it can be as expensive as law school, but does not provide legal expertise. Expensive, complicated subjects of study typically require student loans. Student loans require many years of repayment (Assuming you are an amerifag) which keeps the people with these degrees at the same level (finacially) as those who never went to school. I have a neighbor who can live comfortablly on half of my monthly pay because they have no student debt and i struggle to keep a float. It should be noted that i also have kids and car payments, but if you remove the costs of student loans these are easily taken care of. If you remove the costs of kids and car payments the student loans still take up a significant amount of pay. In short, the purpose of student debt is to keep you down for as long as possible.
>>
>>1114986
Well a bunch of STEM fags end up in finance because of pay, they want to encourage more STEM people to fill the lack of engineers or whatever in their nation

Banks love Engineers and Physics guys because of critical thinking, problem solving so they offer them a great salary
>>
>>1114986
>Banks love Engineers and Physics guys because of critical thinking, problem solving so they offer them a great salary

Pretty much this. You spent four years proving you are not an idiot.
>>
>>1114986
I got a graduated with a 2.0 GPA in Comp Sci and currently have a comfy software dev job with a defense contractor.
Jelly?
>>
>>1114986
Drive down wages and support the narrative that they need cheap H1-B labor.
>>
>>1115104
You're retarded, so nothing to be jealous about
>>
>>1115089
>>1115059
One of my lecturers mentioned this to me before but I never really understood how one approaches a financial institution with an unrelated (engineering/science) degree and applies for a position, against someone who actually has a finance related degree.
>>
>>1115104
Have fun when your contract ends and your company decides they don't want you back on their overhead
>>
>>1114986
i guess it's to shitpost on siberian success boards
>>
File: IMG_20160227_180526.jpg (12 KB, 265x359) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160227_180526.jpg
12 KB, 265x359
>>1115188
Just apply for the job. Recent finance grad here, they only want us for sales positions. A finance degree is 10% math, 10% showing you can put up with people viewing you as a scumbag, and 90% learning jargon & industry structure i.e. stuff you can learn on investopedia.

Most finance grads are non-target school idiots who watched WoW and only saw fast cars, women, and drugs. They thought finance=party life. These people can't think critically, so they don't recognize that the cirriculum is an obvious path to selling insurance until its too late.
>>
>>1115188
>against someone who actually has a finance related degree.
protip: the people who work in financial analyst jobs don't have finance degrees, they have math degrees
or if they do have a finance degree it's a master's in mathematical finance or something similar

as long as your degree proves you're competent with second/third year math you're fit for most of those jobs
>>
>>1114986
Basically, I think you're lying. I don't believe you have a physics degree. My question for you is, why make this bullshit post?
>>
>>1115453
>Finance is 10% math
>110% total.
Checks out.
>>
>>1115565
Forty keks
>>
File: image.jpg (219 KB, 485x564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
219 KB, 485x564
>>1115453
10% math
10% putting up with people
90% investopedia

Wow great argument fagtron you really convinced me with those hot opinions
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.