[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does artist go about getting their art sold for lots of money?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 6923419.jpg (118 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
6923419.jpg
118 KB, 682x1024
How does artist go about getting their art sold for lots of money?
>>
>>1110290
Scarcity is key..

Look at someone like David Choe. He has ton's of videos online and tells how he did it. He is basically a degenerate artist who painted the Facebook building but he was a millionaire before then.
>>
>>1110290
make sure nobody has done it before and make sure it has a deep meaning. it doesn't matter what it is. Also get connections, if someone sees your art and says "oh hes friends with shlomo sheklestein" you'll have a better chance at selling it for at least a gorillian dollars.

Seriously though the connections are pretty key in my opinion. I don't know much about the art world, so I could be giving you some pretty shitty advice. But since it is a very competitive market to me connections seems like the best thing to have.
>>
But is there like a step by step process? Like for job seekers fill out apps online go to interviews etc...
Is there something like that for artists? Like should you just go to random studios and ask all them if they ll sell your art?
>>
>>1110316

he's right

it sounds /x/-tier but you need illuminati-level connections to make big $$ selling art in the current year

I imagine, similar to the music industry and book publishing, there are agents for hire or industry middlemen to help facilitate your connection making (or act for you in exchange for some $$)

interested to know more about this myself, though

http://www.forbes.com/2003/04/08/cx_0408hot.html
>Laundering Drug Money With Art
>>
>>1110290
They die.
>>
>>1110404
In elaborate ways. Strip naked and paint your body, then set yourself on fire in the middle of Times Square. Be sure to leave a manifesto with all your troubled thoughts that went into your artwork.
>>
>>1110290
Either:
> Be really, really good
Or:
> Be really, really good at spinning bullshit

You can literally shit on a bed and call it art these days. The only restriction is getting people to pay for it.
And if you're male, you'll probably not get anyone to buy into your sob story of made-up childhood abuse and promiscuity that led you to shit on beds for a living.
>>
>>1110290
Find people who buy it.
>>
>>1110290

It's like any other business.

You need to sell, market, and make connections to high profile players.
>>
>>1110290
You know a lot of people.
You make friends in those people.
People will sponsor you if they have the money to spare and you are good friends to them
>>
>>1110290

Artist here. Make friends in the "scene". You'll get plenty of buyers if you're weird enough. Since I'm naturally bizarre, people flock to my work and buy buy buy.

Here's how you get in the scene:

>Go to hipster galleries
>Move to the cities that have huge artist communities, or go to cities that have very few artists (This can sometimes work out better)
>Act crazy, dress weird, look the part
>Make people raise their eyebrows and look at you like you're a schizophrenic, it makes you more interesting and they want to buy your art more
>Talk about how the painting took you 10 years to complete even though it didn't
>>
So seems like there is no middle class for artists. It's either you are poor or rich.
>>
>>1110336
your complete lack of understanding of how any of this works means that by definition your work is going to be completely unengaged with the current dialogue and thus of little interest to anybody
>>
>>1112370
Actually with that said, you might want to look into artists that have carved out a career without any 'real' art world support or engagement whatsoever - generally by pandering to middlebrow tastes and pumping out affordable editioned works.

Thomas Kinkade
Peter Lik
Doug Hyde
Caroline Shotton
Leonid Afremov

These would probably be far more valuable case studies for you than high-value artists who travelled the more traditional institutional channels
>>
>>1110309

It was David Choe who ones said that he had problems to sell his art, so he started to sell his paintings for x10 the price he would usually ask and suddenly people were interested.
>>
>>1112874
That would not surprise me one bit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.