[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiring General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1401102668469.png (273 KB, 538x538) Image search: [Google]
1401102668469.png
273 KB, 538x538
Any tips for hiring?

I'm right now reading the book "Who: the A Method for Hiring" by Geoff Smart and Randy Street. So far, it's provided a ton of helpful hints, but while inspirational, it's an uphill battle trying to find good help.

This week, someone's put in a two-week notice, and we're now scrambling to find a replacement. I've made job posts on relevant websites and have no significant progress finding someone. Most entry-level schmucks are wholly talentless these days, and some are downright creepy. One guy even showed up at our door uninvited asking to see the boss.

My boss either can't network for shit or simply refuses to, which makes my job much harder.

That all being said, I know some of you have some good hints on how to find the right people. Any/all suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>1107548
What's the job? Is it a retail mcjob, an analyst position for a company, etc? Can you get someone from a consultant firm if you need someone to fill that quickly until you get someone brand new in?

Because if it's a Mcjob (by that I mean no benefits, part time, low wages) you'll just have to expect the shitty applications and high turnover.

Why don't you just ask your colleagues if they have any capable friends or family members to hire?
>>
>>1107585
>Why don't you just ask your colleagues if they have any capable friends or family members to hire?
Currently in the progress of doing that. My boss doesn't have much of a social life, so I'm doing what I can.

I was considering messaging some of our previous hires if they knew anyone who would be interested. Is that kosher?

>retail mcjob
We're looking for manual labor who happen to have brains and brawn. By no means is it a McJob, but it's far from glamorous. It's both indoors and outdoors, the latter using heavy machinery and related equipment.
>>
>>1107548
>One guy even showed up at our door uninvited asking to see the boss

oh gasp, somebody showing initiative? he probably figured it was pointless wasting his time throwing his resume in a bucket for you, at least get better odds just being in person and knowing you'd have a definite no. you sound like a fucking ass.

>manual labor
>being this fucking picky/judgmental

hiring managers like yourself set incredibly unrealistic expectations on people trying to get their foot in the door. jesus, take a damn risk. this isn't a management position. give them a probationary period and just fire them if they can't lift 50 pounds if you're that incompetent at picking people for manual labor.
>>
>>1107592
I have no idea what your budget is or what you offer people, so I am gonna give you some basic advice.

I am assuming you guys are out in the midwest since you'd have people busting down your doors in any populated location.

If by previous hires you mean people that are now gone, I would not ask them personally, but if you are that desperate and on good terms with them feel free.

If you need to fill the gap, call up temp agencies and ask them if they serve clients willing to do manual labor just so you have someone to short-term replace your colleague. You may even want to strike a deal with your temp guy.

If you can't spend that kind of money on a temp agency, and you really need to fill that gap, start taking risks and interviews on people that aren't clearly autistic coming through the door. Call them for phone interviews, and I know it's a pain in the ass but if it's someone you need to train it seems like you don't have the luxury of waiting.

The manual places I know around here hire kids out of high school that can't do anything and get them hired in less than a week because they need bodies. You can get a body that fast too.
>>
>>1107603
Meant to add one get a body that fast and make them capable, and if they aren't willing to learn replace them.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.