[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job search and tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: slouth_cream.png (120 KB, 540x600) Image search: [Google]
slouth_cream.png
120 KB, 540x600
Hows the job search going guys

I am beyond frustrated at this point
>>
File: wake_me_up.jpg (32 KB, 605x146) Image search: [Google]
wake_me_up.jpg
32 KB, 605x146
>>1104842
>20
>47% through an Electrical Engineering degree
>Went to a trade high school (A&P)
>Have wide knowledge of electrical/electronics
>No job experience
>Can't get a job

>Entry level cable technician job ad
>2 years experience
>16$/hr

>Data entry
>2-3 years experience
>12$/hr
>temporary

Is it like this for everyone or is it just me? I've been sending out applications for 6 months now. Getting pretty desperate too. Had to take a food processing job paying shite and overworks you. Plus everyone speaks Spanish. and the people who speak English are criminals or druggies.
>>
>>1104842
I was beyond frustrated too. I had been looking for 6 months. It felt like I burned out all of the possibilities, responded to all the jobs in my field, I was turned down after every interview, and my inbox was full of rejection emails. Felt bretty bad.

I accepted an offer last week at $12k/yr more than I'm currently making.
>>
>>1104875
>I accepted an offer last week at $12k/yr more than I'm currently making.

Its great you got it bro. I am literally looking for anything easier than food processing desu. 9$/hr isn't much for what we're doing
>>
>>1104897
Yea, at 20 with no experience it's going to be shitty going for a while. At that age I was working in a lumber yard driving forklifts and carrying shit on my shoulder. Hell, I did that even when I had my college degree but couldn't find a good career type job.

Apply for stuff even if you don't have the experience required. I got one which required 5 years experience even thought I only had about 1.
>>
I've been looking for two years. Everyone wants experience and then went you get interview they say that they can't find people because they leave after a few months. I tell them that you guys can't afford to be picky nowadays. You've exhausted the market. I don't tell them, I just say it inside of me.
This guy is right>>1104917
apply to jobs beyond your experience. Hiring managers are now running quota deficits because they were too picky these past six years. Now they have to take what they can get and train them. Knowing the full risk of the person leaving the job after a year or less. This is how the market was before 2008, because you guys are too young to remember. Don't worry, its slowly turning into an employee market.
>>
>>1104941
>its slowly turning into an employee market

I hope so. I am not even getting rejection emails. Just confirmation that the application was received and the "we will hold your resume on file for 6 months"

Is there a better website to use after Indeed and monster ?
Sometimes I feel like the job postings are a placebo. Inbetween weekends when I am too tired to get out of bed
>>
>>1104951
Just google what industry you want to work in and type in top 50 companies in your area. Literally that's how I'm getting interviews. The lower to mid end companies need bodies because they're suffering more from employee deficits.
>>
>>1104958
Maybe that will work when I have my degree fully.
Low wage slavery until then.

>mfw that brings up the vicious cycle of not having a degree means no job

They seriously want Degrees for customer service jobs now
>>
File: bXs6XNn.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
bXs6XNn.gif
2 MB, 400x400
Current sophomore finance major. Just got my first real internship at an investment management firm for the summer. 8 weeks, paid $19 which is nice b/c i was expecting nothing. Very happy.
>>
File: 1446510959845.jpg (97 KB, 527x487) Image search: [Google]
1446510959845.jpg
97 KB, 527x487
I'm 24 and after 6 months of job searching I could only find a job that pays 45k

I am a failure
>>
It's pretty painful. Applied to about 20 jobs the past month. Got one email back saying they are having interviews at the end of February and they'd email me in the future but haven't heard back. Going to try applying to some banks next. Going to keep going at the grind though. Dont understand what i'm doing wrong, I write cover letters for pretty much every single application and tailor my resume to fit the description.
>>
>>1104984
GPA?
>>
>>1105015
currently a 3.3, which i know is not ideal. It should be lowest a 3.5. I'm also a student athlete. I am a hard worker when i'm interested, I just get lazy when it comes to all of the core classes that my college makes me take that I will never use again. I have good connections, especially at the place i got the internship at.
>>
>>1105004
Take the 45k job, do it for 2 years, use that experience for a 60k job. That's how it's supposed to work, like it always has.
>>
Kinda related; what languages do you guys think seem good when planning to get a job in business and/or finance?

Currently know; Swedish, English, Japanese and Farsi, thinking of picking up either French or Arabic before my last 2 years of uni are done.
>>
Junior CS major. Solid C student. I can take home a few As and Bs in classes but damn if I don't C out across the board. 3.1 gpa no experience or internships.
How fucked am I?
>>
>>1105587
>CS
Very. Enjoy being a code monkey for 20 years, then overseeing retarded code monkeys for 20 years
>>
>>1105644
Yeah that's what I figured. That's why I've been working on getting into other fields.
>meh, being a sys admin wouldn't be too bad
>>
>>1105004
that's pretty lucky man. Granted I'm 23 and making 60k but I've been searching for a new job for the past six months with no bites whatsoever, even with my experience.

I'd gladly take 45k if it was something remotely interesting, compared to my current soulcrushing job making 60k.

What I've learned from this experience is don't take a job if it's not in your field, even if it's 60k. I have a feeing people look at my resume and see that my skillset is all over the place. At this rate I'll never get in my creative field, as I don't have a portfolio and I'm not in a good area to build on it (long island)... not like I have the time to anymore as it is.

It's more important at this stage to be getting relevant experience as opposed to a decent starting salary. I played the short game and I'm flailing to get out of it, now.
>>
>>1105004
45k isn't terrible for entry level and could be pretty good depending on your location. Had a friend settle on a 32k job after a 12 month search with a accounting degree. The first job is the hardest, it'll be much easier finding a better job while employed.
>>
>>1105004
I started at 45k, unless you live in new york or memecon valley that's a very livable salary
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.