[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you always wear a suit to an interview? The person bringing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: poop_suit.jpg (936 KB, 1118x1727) Image search: [Google]
poop_suit.jpg
936 KB, 1118x1727
Do you always wear a suit to an interview? The person bringing me in said that the company is business casual, with his department 'less than business casual'.

When is it (if ever) inappropriate to wear a suit? Could it ever be held against you -- maybe for 'not understanding the culture'?
>>
overdressing is as bad as under dressing . if he says it's casual absolutely do not wear a suit.
>>
>>1094142
it would be inappropriate at google when they tell you specifically that you're not required to wear a suit for the interview... doubt it would count much against you if you decided to turn up in one anyway because you like suits or something

re: your situation, unless he was specifically talking about the interview itself then I don't think a suit would hurt - plenty of places are business casual day to day but you'd still be expected to turn up in a suit for the interview or, if working there, when meeting clients etc..
>>
>>1094142
Try to dress a notch above their everyday attire: you want to convey that you are serious about the opportunity. You don't need a full suit with a pocket square, but wear a blazer if they say business casual. If the say casual then wear a dress shirt and slacks.
>>
>>1094163

This. Don't show up to your warehouse job interview wearing a 3-piece and don't go to your financy job interview in cargo pants and a MLP hoodie.
>>
>>1094142
Dress for the job you're applying for. I've been through about 10 jobs in my life. Over dressing makes you seem desperate. Under dressing makes you seem degenerate or under experienced.

That said, you really will only dress one of three ways:

Blue Collar/Skilled Labor: Button up shirt (like a flannel), nice jeans, boots or safety boots, and belt.

Relaxed Casual: Button up shirt, khaki's, decent shoes (not sneakers), and a belt

Casual: Button up long-sleeve shirt and tie, slacks, decent shoes (not sneakers), and a belt

Formal: A full suit and tie (black, charcoal, or blue), dress shoes, dress belt.

Make sure you are trimmed up and presentable for all of these. If the company has some crazy open culture (like Zappos), you can go to an interview punked out. However, these cultures are rare.
>>
>>1094832
>That said, you really will only dress one of three ways:

I wrote three instead of four.
>>
>>1094142
Yes, you should always wear a suit to job interviews. Unless explicitly told not to.
>>
>>1094142
Suits are overrated and a $100 suit will in no way be even close to a $1000 one (nice reddit tier image btw).

You can just wear a white collar shirt to your interviews it's more than enough.
>>
>>1094142
For an interview, please don't misunderstand me....

ALWAYS WEAR A FUCKING SUIT.

Afterwards, adopt the culture and "casual dress" code. But until you get an offer, you're there to suck dick and look good doing it.
>>
>>1094868
>show up to interview
>dude is wearing a shorts and a hoodie and so is the rest or the dev team
>le always wear a suit Bcos biz told me so

you're not getting the job and they're going to be sitting around and laughing about you later
>>
>>1094868
>>1094836
As a recent graduate in aerospace engineering, I fell for the meme of always wearing a suit. After 9 or ten failed interviews, I stopped caring, and showed up to my next one with just slacks, a dress shirt and a tie. I got the job offer the same day.
>>
>>1094868

No.

It depends on the company for some companies you do really not wear a suit. And in some cases wearing a suit already means you failed the interview.
I can't tell you exactly when to wear a suit and when not but Ive heard of cases where wearing a suit fails you the interview right there.
It depends on the company
>>
>>1094920
Depends on the industry and if the company is traditional or new wave. It's really not that difficult to make an educated guess, then check their website
>>
>>1094920
>wearing a suit already means you failed the interview

If the dress code is that there is no dress code why would they turn into fascists because you wore a suit?

Don't bother responding if you aren't a hiring manager.
>>
>>1094142
No.
Just wear some boat shoes, chinos and like a pullover.
Jesus.
>>
Short khaki shorts
Boating shoes
A pastel Oxford
A pair of raybands worn around the neck secured by sunglass necklace with a buoy.
Most expensive watch
That's what I always wore and I have gotten every job I have applied for
>>
In my country we adopted a "semi casual" attire. Unless specified, a white shirt with dark slim jeans will be OK.
>>
>Going to find first job because I can't keep focused in school.
>Apply everywhere.
>Stater Bros is doing open interviews.
>Nearly 200 cucks lined outside.
>All wearing nice clothing.
>One woman there I knew used to be a bookkeeper.
>Do my interview in a striped polo, unbuttoned with one of those fake tie shirts underneath.
>Only one to get a callback.
Or you could watch some of the employees walking in and out and follow suit. Wearing a nice suit where it's not required can make you seem like you're new or just a douche.
>>
File: boss.jpg (90 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
90 KB, 640x640
If you really want the job though, wear a Nazi uniform.

Hugo Boss made some art back then. They will not be able to say no.

Make sure to firmly stomp your right foot while sharply extending your right arm and bellowing "SEIG HEIL" when you get let through the office door before taking your seat.
>>
I think I wore carharts pants and flannel to my last interview but I'm a geologist so that's pretty standard. At a mine if you tuck your shirt in you're probably best dressed on site.
>>
>>1094142
The rule I learned was always go one up from what they wear at work. If it's suits at work, then match it.

A suit never hurts as long as you're interviewing as a farm hand or some such profession.
>>
>>1095931
>not interviewing as a farm hand...*
>>
>>1094834
your mom sucked my dick instead of your dads m8
>>
>>1095564

I don't need to be a hiring manager I know people who have friends in some companies or tried to apply for some of their jobs.

If you come in a suite to some companies it means that you don't fit the image they want to represent and that you are too stuck up and not "youthful" or whatever enough.

Some explicitly don't want you to come in a suit if they are a company based on their image and don't want to portray that conservative tradtional picture of a cmpany.

Not my personal experience but that of people I know.

Obviously industries like banking, law firms,.. you need a suit and everything. But with some companies isn't just that there's no dresscode but that they don't want people who wear suits and act in a too business-ish way as it doesn't represent their image and doesn't fit in their culture.

It's not the norm but it exists and I would guess tht suits become less and less the norm just like people don't wear suits anymore iin everyday life as they did many years ago and how politicians many years ago wouldn't have dared to show themselves withot a suit
>>
It's very, very unlikely that you will be disadvantaged by wearing a suit to a job interview, unless you were expressly told not to.
Yes, there are a lot of companies where people people tend to dress more casually. But you're not just going to a regular day at work, you're going to a job interview. It's perfectly reasonable for you to be dressed more formally.

Nine times out of then, when someone says 'I heard at some places you can get rejected at an interview just for...' they are making shit up. Or repeating shit that someone else made up.
>>
I can't believe how much bad advice there is ITT.

the point of the interview is to show that you're a good fit for the company. when you show up to a suit in a place where everyone is casually dressed you show that you're completely out of place.

you want to look like you fit in, not like you don't know how to dress appropriately. matching their dress is far more important than dressing up. you want them to be comfortable and to accept you. a guy wearing a hoodie isn't going to be shooting the shit with his interviewee who showed up in a 3 piece.
>>
>>1094142
If the company is business casual than wearing a suit which is a notch above won't hurt.
>>
>>1096452
>at our company we're pretty laid back, so employees are allowed to wear whatever they want
>by the way, you failed the interview because you didn't comply with our strict hoodies-only dress code
>>
>>1096858

>Hahaha xD, look at the inherent contradiction in their logic

you fail because you show that you're unaware of your surroundings and the company culture and lack common sense
>>
>>1097177

>you should dress to fit in!
>you should dress to impress!

or just do whatever the fuck you want because in the grand scheme of things your $22 an hour job is less significant than a gnat beating it's tiny little wings
>>
>>1097188
>>/420chan/
>>
>>1094905
do you really give a damn if the rest of the people laughs at you?

that's kinda inmature.
>>
File: THANKS OBAMA.jpg (13 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
THANKS OBAMA.jpg
13 KB, 200x300
>>1094142

With only a handful of exceptions (wallstreet, courtrooms, major meetings) suits are pretty much dead.

Don't make the mistake I did and buy a bunch of them.

Some pairs of neutral colored slacks, and button up shirts will pretty much be all you will ever need for 99% of business functions.
>>
>>1095787

Most correct answer of the thread.
>>
>>1097177
The interviewer will obviously know that the reason you wore a suit is because you were going to a job interview. They will not assume that you are incapable of wearing anything else, and therefore cannot fit their 'company culture'. That's ridiculous.

You'll find that even in companies where people dress casually, it is still perfectly normal, and usually expected, that an employee will put on a suit or at least a tie when attending a particularly important meeting. That's what a job interview is.
It would be like if the interviewer saw you wearing a suit at a funeral and decided not to hire you.
>>
>>1094142
>When is it (if ever) inappropriate to wear a suit? Could it ever be held against you -- maybe for 'not understanding the culture'?
In hot tropical countries it can be pretty inappropriate. Though it'd admittedly be less about the suit and more about the fact that you're sweating buckets if you're wearing one.
>>
Had a guy show up to an interview in a suit but he tied his tie like a noose. Good programmer but couldnt hire him because he couldnt fucking dress himself and we couldnt let him be seen by our customers.

Many years ago I went to my first programming interview fresh out of the mil in a suit. Literally told the guy I had no clue how to program but I am disciplined and want to learn. He hired me on the spot. Always wear a suit, be honest, and talk truth. Its that easy.
>>
Wear the clothes you would wear at your job.

A bad suit says more about you that a clean pressed shirt and pants.
>>
>>1096346
>typographical and grammatical errors
>hearsay and conjecture
>-ish
You are a totally credible person to opine on this subject.
>>
File: 4f9.jpg (28 KB, 600x494) Image search: [Google]
4f9.jpg
28 KB, 600x494
>>1094142
>Checkered shirt

This will be universally cringeworthy in a few years
>>
we live in the cancerous reddit society , you can show up in a dress and heels and the will call u progressive and give you a raise , but if you show up in a tux , no-no
>>
>>1099401
exactly what I've always thought. they look like shit. when you wear one it looks like a fucking tablecloth.
>>
>>1094142
I wear a hoodie and jeans to work everyday as do most of my coworkers. However, we still expect most people to be wearing a suit to the interview (although definitely not a disqualifier if they don't)
>>
>>1094142
>your image
>don't have to wear a belt if pants fits well
stopped reading.
>>
never EVER wear a blazer
slacks, button up, shoes, belt, tie
it works everywhere, casual or not
>>
>>1097501
>suits are dead
>just get slacks and button up shirts

Nigga that's a suit with out a jacket
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.