[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
image.png
18 KB, 256x256
>servers make inflation-adjusted minimum wage
>get mad when tips 'aren't enough'

Fucking entitled cunts. At least in USA the servers make little to nothing (eg. $2/hr) and their wages are supported by the tips. Canadian servers already get paid $8-10/hr doing practically nothing AND they get tips (none of which is reported when they file taxes) on top of that. Why is this legal? Why is my tax money funding these degenerates?
>>
>>1097191

Why do you go to restaurants instead of cooking for yourself/your guests?

Also, you live in a country whose only really notable traits are 'kinda french' and 'good at warfare'.
>>
>>1097201
This, also switch to takeout/food trucks if you must. Service is often bad but man the shit that comes out of those kitchens... Goddamn. Restaurants--never again

>unless I'm drunk eating nachos at the bar of a sportsbar
>>
>>1097201
>Why do you go to restaurants instead of cooking for yourself/your guests?

this is valid but besides the point. people are gonna be eating in restaurants for most of the foreseeable future.

>>1097254

i have seen some nasty shit working in kitchens but it was only in the lower tier restaurants i worked in. any higher end, local restaurant was very strict about having a sanitary kitchen... but people should probably give their short stack at denny's a second thought

>>1097191
most servers i've known were either struggling through school or were in some other kind of rut.

"good tip for good service" doesn't compute with these people. i tip whenever i eat out or have drinks but if the service or food is bad they don't get shit.
>>
>>1097191

Oh Canada...
>>
>>1097191
Usually I just add 1$+ cents to round bill to nearest dollar. :\ Sometimes I don't tip. I don't think people really care.
>>
>>1097191
Isn't it that the business owners have to pay the difference to equal minimum wage if they make less than minimum?

I don't like the idea of tipping because it's part of your job to do your best to serve the guest.

I usually tip 1-2$ if I dine in and don't mind the service. I tip 5-10$ for my barber though
>>
>>1097191
I know it infuriates me and I wish I could convince the woman the same.

The economy here stagnates because one makes more as a server than as a banker
>>
This desu.

Also in Canada, it's ridiculous.
Serving is by far the best job for that skill level/expertise required.

Easy as hell and you make more than the vast majority of jobs.
>>
>>1097517
it's not even the sanitation. kitchen staff is so incompetent at actually producing the food well in so many instances. I find myself impressed when a diner can make a decent chicken sandwich that actually looks like someone tried. that's the most disappointing of all. I can often throw something together that meets the level of execution of the average restaurant kitchen. Oftentimes I order what I think the kitchen can make decently. Anyway I try to go for takeout when I can.
>>
>>1097646
The kinds of people they hire is very telling. And what can you even expect given the cost?
>>
>>1097648
there are a lot of factors. Many restaurants aren't really trying to make quality food, consistency is actually valued by most patrons even if they won't admit it. but yeah, eating out in more urban places like tokyo or la have WAYYYY better cheap food because even those positions are sought after. no one gives a fuck in canada. the upside is that a modicum of fucks given can make you shine, if you can tolerate the vast swathes of morons surrounding you.
>>
>>1097650
I think it has more to do with the pay.

Working as a cook/chef is one of the worst jobs by far. High stress, high effort, high hours and little pay.

It's actually hilarious... Servers make more than chefs despite chefs doing all the work. If anything we should be tipping those who made our food.
>>
>>1097656
I guess. I mean I would not do that job for that pay. I remember my family trying to convince me to be a "chef" but seriously most of these guys are grinding it fucking hard and even if they're good they'll be lucky to make it out of a hotel restaurant or some shit.

I would work construction before I would work in a kitchen.

you're right about the wages but the cooks are ugly and don't have nice racks...so...

I think tipping is really just a mechanism for owners to leverage pretty young flesh to subsidize wages. the whole fucking thing is dysfunctional--buy some nice wine and cook a steak or something, way better than going to a restaurant
>>
>>1097669
That's what happens bro.

Some food places are amazing tho. There's this one BBQ place with the best food ever for a ridiculously good price.
>>
>>1097646
look at online reviews

some restaurants are just terrible, and diners arent known for their high quality
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 233x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 233x350
Canada here

>mfw go to jack Astors with a couple friends
>mfw server delibsratly covers beer I'm looking for so I get a craft beer
>mfw I tipped 5% which was even at our bill like 20$
>he shakes his head and acts disappointed.

Fucking joke
>>
aus here get paid 27 an hour and my tips bought me a dope ass nesspresso machine last week,
>>
>tipping
>ever
The only people I tip are pizza delivery. They have to purchase their own gas. Between Canada and basically every state having to pay the difference if minimum wage wasn't earned, tipping absolutely doesn't make sense to me. I'm not too lazy to get my own food and water pitcher with a smile.
>>
>>1097201
You misspelled welfare.
>>
>>1097669
>I think tipping is really just a mechanism for owners to leverage pretty young flesh to subsidize wages

but in this case they're not subsidizing wages because they're already paying the servers enough before tips
>>
>>1097191
This is why I only order take-out or cook the shit myself

restaurants have gone to shit.
>>
>>1097782
>He doesn't dine and dash

Have you learned nothing from the frugal threads on this very board?
>>
>>1097191
>>
>>1098398
How will they know you don't tip beforehand?
>>
>>1098826
...because you've been there before and they remember? that's the only circumstance obviously

yeah servers are overpaid. especially when food runners exist. I still see it as par for the course, it's not like the food is worth even half of what you pay for it, let alone the drink costs.

>real men eat in
>>
>>1098830
Go to different restaurants each time then.

Plus it's not like they remember even if you don't. They have thousands of customers per week
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.