[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I feel like I'm going to end up as a neet? >20
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: _20160217_005938.jpg (83 KB, 1064x1042) Image search: [Google]
_20160217_005938.jpg
83 KB, 1064x1042
Why do I feel like I'm going to end up as a neet?
>20 yrs old
>4gs go my name (lel)
>high marks in HS
>didn't want to go into debt to attend a rigorous out of state school.
>at a local commuter school studying CS
>3.6GPA, no social life, haven't kept touch with friends in months, work weekends, lift regularly, fuck around with programming, try to improve myself daily

Despite all this, I still feel like I'm going to end up homeless for some odd reason. Skewed minds are one helluva thing to live with
>>
>>1097737
Just continue to do what you're doing but invest in a social life.

Spend 1-2 hours a day on social media/with friends as efficiently as possible. The gains will be worth it in the long term.
>>
>>1097737
You don't need college for a CS job.

Stop wasting time, energy, and money with college. Use all of your time coding and working a job.
>>
>>1097737
>23 yrs old
>~70,000 to my name
>degree in engineering
>thinking about going for CS
>lift on the reg
>try to improve self daily
>only social life is kickboxing every day and seeing the gf once a month

Not in the same boat but in a similar one. I was unemployed for 4 months, then underemployed for another 5 months so I have the fear in me. Even when I have a full-time job I worry about whether or not it will fall out from under me, so I'm constantly searching.

>>1097753
How would you recommend picking up CS w/o going to school for it, and why would you? I've been thinking about going into comp sci and have an application in with a top 25 school. Rumour has it you get paid far less without a degree.
>>
>>1097748
Probably will have to attend some meetup groups/meet people at a muay Thai gym I plan to join. Not gonna bother with my schoo'
ls student orgs
>>1097748
Shitty advice. Brb lemme throw away 12 grand of tuition already spent on this halfway earned golden ticket.
Networking with professors is worth it imo.

And nah, I can't do the code and work hermit lifestyle. Tried for a month and felt more like a NEET by the end of it
>>
>>1097737
Who cares, neet life isn't that bad if you're good at bullshitting. I tell people I'm taking care of my folks when really they are only in their 50s and are pretty active. I just fuck around on the stock market, work out, not get laid and make money.

Still moving back out as soon as I can because I miss fucking fat bitches from tinder out of desperation and I can't do that here because my old man will give me shit.
>>
>>1097755
>>1097755 #
Lol I'm about to pick up kickboxing soon.

And definitely don't recommend trying to learn CS on your own. You're going to have to discipline yourself to learn 4 years of undergrad material in whatever time span you allot to yourself. This not only includes the languages, which is relatively simple, but gaining a solid understanding of algorithms, the math involved, computer architecture, and other requisites for a standardized CS fresh graduate.

It's worth teaching yourself if you can manage with no outside structure to keep you accountable.
>>
>>1097764
Pick it up! I'm a month away from my first competition, and the new guys are starting to look up to me a bit. Feels good man. Trying to bulk up to 200 lbs for the fight (no way I could cut down to a lower weight category so I thought I'd max out the one I'm in).

It sounds like comp sci is doable in 2 years - the program I might attend is a 20 month program, available only to people that already have a degree. Basically it just cuts out all of the bullshit courses they normally throw in because you've already done them.

I'm thinking of deferring my application for a year though. Save up, study the course material in my spare time and ace it all once I get in. That way if I hate it I'll know ahead of time, too. Sound like a decent plan?
>>
>>1097769
was for
>>1097766
>>
>>1097755
Save money and time. My first language that I picked up was C++ in high school.

My college CS-II course started out with addressing pointers in C++, but this was something that I learned just after my second month from the fucking Bucky C++ Youtube tutorials.

Why would companies pay someone who has more experience in the languages and concepts needed far less than someone who is coming out of college with a degree?

How do you do it? Start getting involved in Hackathons and community events in the CS field, creating your own projects in multiple languages on GitHub, and reading books/taking the free Harvard online CS courses. The world is your fucking oyster whenever it comes to CS and if they want to pay you less, then start for less and use your skills to start your own company. It's that simple.

What happens whenever shit hits the fan and they increase H1B work visas to dramatically drive down the price of the programming jobs? Who do you think will be paid more? The person with more experience, or the person who has a CS degree?

If you truly enjoy the field, then you will pick up the concepts quicker outside of the system. By all means though, if you have the chance to attend a top 25 school, then attend it. Especially if English isn't your first language. For the rest though, it's worthwhile to skip college and learn the concepts on their own terms.

The resources are there. Fuck just search up "How to get a CS Job without a degree." You'll figure out that all you need to land a six figure job is a GitHub account and someone who knows what you can do (i.e. talking about the shit to people at hackathons and CS events).

If you search it up, you'll find posts of tech company owners stating that they don't give two shits about someone's CS degree.
>>
>>1097766
This though. It's not that hard, just engage in discussion on forums dealing with CS, follow some course guide with book/course names provided, and take time out of each day to go to the local library's study room to crack it all out.

It's hard, but doable.
>>
>>1097780
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I do have the opportunity to attend a top 25 school, but I've been planning on deferring for a year regardless (so I can teach myself first to keep my GPA high, get together funds for school, and play around at the local hackerspace).

One issue with learning via community events is that I live far away from large communities. I'm in a small Canadian town of 3500 people. We do have a hackerspace but it's more geared towards manufacturing physical goods - 3D printing, CNC machines and the like.

You mentioned the Bucky C++ tutorials. Are there any other resources you used when you first started out? I've been going through Automate the Boring Stuff with Python. 40% through it and everything is basic so far.
>>
>>1097795
Bucky was just an example to show you that certain courses can just be painstakingly slow in some colleges.

Search for CS Book Lists
Pirate
Read
Code. Code. Code.

HackerRank.com is a great site to visit to compete against other programmers.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.