[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
college major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151227_202738.jpg (114 KB, 606x584) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_202738.jpg
114 KB, 606x584
/biz/ I was just accepted to college today for civil engineering.

(Currently a senior in high school)
Am I making the right choice with my major? I'm also certified in some areas of IT
>>
>>1015094

The optimal course of action is always that which enhances the range of options available to you. If civil engineering is the best (for your purposes/interests) qualification available to you, I would take it. You should also investigate, however, whether civ eng could open up further doors for you that might be even better. My uncle did engineering (although I think he did mech rather than civil) and later got a business diploma, eventually becoming a mining CEO and making fuck-you money. I'm not sure when the end of the academic year is where you are, but definitely take into account all of the fields that you're eligible for by the end of that period, not just civil engineering. Engineering is a rationalistic discipline, might as well make your decision a rational process from the beginning.
>>
>>1015094
Its engineering, so if you'll probably be able to find a decent job. Engineers are trained to be problem solvers, so just because your a civil engineer doesn't mean you can only build bridges and stuff. There's a large amount of opportunities for any type of engineer if they have the drive. However make sure you are interested in that field above all else if you plan to major in engineering. If you are doing it just to get a good job upon graduating, you'll be weeded out within the first couple of semesters.
>>
>>1015094
does the pic imply that selectivity doesn't count for shit?
>>
Dank thread OP, thanks.

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm choosing between pursuing either a Comp Sci or Math degree at a private university for 35k/ year, or going into practically whatever STEM degree I want a public uni for 14k. I'd probably go with Mechanical Engineering, because I fear that with CompSci some 18 year old who knows how to write script/code can come in and replace you since he'll work cheaper and do it just as good/better.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1016109
The reason I limit the private university options to CS and Math is because all of their degrees besides those are shit - with the exception of maybe biology and geology.
>>
Recent Mechanical/Aerospace Engineer grad here. If you're serious about becoming an engineer, you're going to have to do well in grades. I know people who did well in school but shit at uni and vice versa, the job market is shit so don't do it thinking you can scrape through and come out fine on the other end.

In saying that however, as other people have said, engineering is a degree that gives you problem solving skills above all else and makes you highly employable in many areas you may not have thought possible. One of my good friends recently landed a job in a financial consultant position - with an aerospace engineering degree. He said his employer said they prefer engineers over your typical finance degree grads because we are more versatile and can handle stuff we aren't spoon fed.
>>
>>1015094

College has literally never been a more terrible investment than now, but you won't listen. Enjoy the beer pong.
>>
You can do a lot with civil engineering. You won't be making as much money as other engineering majors, but you're going to have the most job security. EE and Aero fields aren't going to have a lot of growth over the next decade, but Civil is expected to grow by something like 20% nationally.

You won't get rich as a civil engineer, but you'll live comfortably. You'll be pushing about $90k salary after about 10-15 years. The only thing is you have to maintain your PE license.

Or, you can take the other path and go into construction management. If you work for a big general contractor like Turner or Clark you'll be making $100k within 10 years, if you can handle the stress. I also know some grads who do financial and management consulting for Deloitte and the rest.

Civil gets shit on for being the "easiest" engineering degree, but it still requires a lot of work. Don't do it for the money. If you want money, go into computer science and hope the bubble doesn't burst anytime soon.
>>
>>1016543
oh sure lol. Its funny you call it an investment when I am literally going here for free. the only thing i am investing is my time for which I will use to make connections and further my personal knowledge
>>
>>1016563
Time is a huge investment.
>>
>>1016567
You are right. Good thing I am investing it in the correct place as determined by myself.
>>
>>1016567
yeah just work dem trade jobs amiright? retard
>>
ITT STEMlords
>>
File: 640x0.jpg (65 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
640x0.jpg
65 KB, 640x960
>not majoring in economics
>>
File: 1392900768560.jpg (46 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1392900768560.jpg
46 KB, 480x480
>>1016543
>Investing in yourself is terrible
>Higher education is a terrible investment

How's the highschool dropout life treating you? :^)
>>
Civil eng is like the special ed of eng.
>>
File: rustled ya.jpg (128 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
rustled ya.jpg
128 KB, 800x800
>>1017784
let me guess you weren't cut out for accounting? Enjoy having to get a masters to be employed
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.