[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pros and Cons of Marriage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 25
File: Klgk5mf.gif (29 KB, 220x300) Image search: [Google]
Klgk5mf.gif
29 KB, 220x300
What are the Pros and Cons of Marriage, if the two partners actually love each other and earn similar money and are not going to fuck the other over with a divorce?

>Age: 25 and 27
>Yearly salary: $130k and $120k
>No kids planned for 3 more years
>$450k in savings between both
>Supportive parents, who paid for their house, meaning no mortgage, just property taxes

What can you actually "do" with Marriage if it's a good Marriage?
>>
I don't understand the question

Every choice you make in life is a compromise and marriage is no exception

You give complete personal freedom to create a loving and supportive bond with another person.

Most marriages fail simply because the couple won't communicate with each other.

As long as you don't marry a word (< or =2 sexual partners max including you) and you're both on the same page with finances, family, religion, and goals, and are constantly communicating effectively, then there are no downsides to marriage.

If you treat marriage like a game, and put no effort in, then prepare to tell the family court to just fuck your shit up
>>
>>1011040
Word = whore on mobile

Fyi, each sexual pre marital sex partner a woman has correlates to almost a 10% increase in divorce.

You two have the money issue under control, which is the most common official reason for divorce in the US

A lot of people will tell you to get a prenup, but they don't do jack shit, and are completely void after you have children, even if you try to put a clause in for children.

The prenup itself creates a lot of hostility and can almost become a self fulfilling prophecy. It's better to be more objective about your potential spouse than fucking around with prenups.

Be honest with yourself about your future with this woman. Time you've been together and get income are irrelevant. Really take an objective look at her personality and habits, and decide if she's the one to spend your life with.
>>
>25 and 27
>if the two partners actually love each other and are not going to fuck the other over with a divorce

good luck with that
>>
100% dependent on the chemistry of the couple. I know married people who wish they were dead since they got married and I know "common law" couples who are so happy you'd never know they weren't married. I also have seen the inverse.
>>
>>1011015
All cons bro.

>if the two partners actually love each other and are not going to fuck the other over with a divorce

Lawyers love that kinda shit. They hear it ALL.THE.TIME. in divorce proceedings.

The one with the ambition, assets, family inheritance gets FUCKED OVER and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Getting married without a clearly defined Prenup is like playing Russian Roulette with a two chamber revolver. You got a 50/50 chance of getting your brains blown out. (and yes I am speaking from experience)
>>
>>1011015
If someone ACTUALLY loves you, they'll be your monogamous life partner with a government oversight financial contract or a ritual to appease some omniscient, all power being who doesn't like you having sex unless you perform his ritual.
>>
File: 1371682267088.jpg (53 KB, 435x600) Image search: [Google]
1371682267088.jpg
53 KB, 435x600
>>1011126
*without

Well I sure fucked that up. I'll see myself out.
>>
>>1011061
What kind of prude bitch has only 2 sexual partners by the time she's 30?

This is like that Catholic bullshit where they just marry someone for lust because they can't have sex any other way.
>>
Why would you ever marry?

Why not just live together as a couple for as long as you both want to and then go your separate ways if it doesn't work out, with shared custody of eventual children?

That's the standard way of doing it were I live, people usually get married when they have been together for 20+ years and start to realize that they will always be together.

t. Swede
>>
>>1011015

The ONLY pro to marriage is the tax cuts. And even then, going forward with marriage should ONLY be done if you are 100% sure this is the woman of your dreams and want to spend every remaining day of your life with her, and have 0 reservations or suspicions.

I say, if the chick is just cool with living together and there is no pressure, then fuck it.

A marriage simply adds massive insurance to the woman's investment. And since feminism has all but destroyed the traditional marriage, why take the risk if you are a man?
>>
>>1011157
This. Just live together as a married couple without getting married.
>>
The short term tax benefits DO NOT outweigh the long term divorce detriments.

/thread
>>
>>1011208
This. So true.
>>
>>1011201

Agreed, but in the USA a couple could save $10,000 - $20,000 a year in tax cuts (in some situations) by being married.

But yeah the Swedes have it right.
>>
>>1011142
You can do whatever the fuck you want, but female sexual partners directly correlate with divorce rates.

If a woman has been railed by Chad and Tyrone, then you are just gambling against the house

Don't even get married in that case, just love together and do everything you can to circumvent common law
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 250x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 250x321
Well you save a shit ton of money. Getting married effectively gives you double salary with the combined income. Everything you'll ever purchase is now cut in half. Need new couches? Instead of you paying full price think of it as you paid half and they paid half. New TV? Same deal, your essentially only paying half of what you otherwise would pay. The downside is you have to share, but you don't watch TV 24/7 anyway so someone else can use it when you're not. Expensive purchases like this add up and you'd never be able to live like that on your own. Dual income means bills are less stressful/more likely to have the $ to pay for them. Plus it's really nice to have someone to come home to at the end of the day. Someone to snuggle with, someone who cares about you. Someone to share your dreams and goals with, and someone to grow old with. Communication is the key. That sounds so cliche but for real, if you can effectively communicate with each other especially when times are rough, then you'll be ok. If you get into an argument take 5 and cool off. Then come back and explain why you feel the way you do, and be prepared to listen to your spouses side with an open mind to understand where they're coming from. All in all being married is great and the media tries to make it sound terrible. If you hear anyone else talking about how marriage sucks it's because they're a loner who will never get married and want to justify why they can get someone to love them. Or because they're married/have been married and suck at it because they don't know how to communicate effectively. Two words of advice - the couple that plays together stays together, and, marry a badass and be good at communicating with them and you'll lead a long and successful marriage. Till death do us part is so comforting knowing I have a life partner at my side supporting me the whole way :)

>source: I'm married
>>
>>1011040
>If you treat marriage like a game, and put no effort in
What the fuck kind of games do you play? Go back to reading a crystal ball, Cleo.
>>
>>1011570
>Someone to snuggle with,

Just shave one leg and beat off under the covers and that is what having a wife feels like.
>>
File: Get Married LOL.png (227 KB, 826x1097) Image search: [Google]
Get Married LOL.png
227 KB, 826x1097
>>1011015

>What can you actually "do" with Marriage if it's a good Marriage?

Nothing really. It doesn't serve the purpose it used to. Society is not what it was when marriage was a functional social construct.

Divorce is incentivized for women. The State has placed a bounty on marriage.

This means marriage has been dis-incentivized for men.

Just don't do it. There are no benefits aside from higher tax refunds, and those benefits are highly outweighed by the risks.
>>
>actually love each other

What about 5 years from now? 10? 20?

>earn similar money

>not going to fuck the other over with a divorce

Don't do it.
>>
>>1011208
Don't call /thread on yourself. That's like paying yourself a compliment after your post.

Damn, nice zinger, me! You sure showed that /thread faggot!
>>
>>1011570
You are fortunate to live a charmed life. We all have the same idealism you have and put the wife and marriage on a pedestal.

Then shit happens....

Enjoy it while you got it anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 463x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 463x462
>>1012111
I take it you've never actually BEEN married so everyone reading this guy take it with a grain of salt. It's like a kid with down syndrome trying to explain to everyone what it's like to be a CEO. Never gonna happen...
>>
>>1011570

> says a lotta dumb shit about how if the marriage is good than the marriage is good

Let me try to coax out the real advice:
Marry a woman who makes close to what you make, and who has the same level of education, if you want the marriage to be fulfilling economically and socially.

Is this good advice?
>>
>>1012128
Son, with all your idealism and platitudes, you don't know shit.

I've been married 20+ years, have kids, the big house and, yes, am also a CEO with a few mil in sales. I've seen and endured plenty of marital shit.

Go back to your sandbox manchild.
>>
Protip: You dont have to marry to be someones long-term partner
>>
File: TOPFUCKINGLOLMATEY.png (35 KB, 1091x464) Image search: [Google]
TOPFUCKINGLOLMATEY.png
35 KB, 1091x464
LOL

I think you guys would actually land in a HIGHER tax bracket than if you were to file separately
>>
>>1012153
Absolutely correct, but she'll dump you for not marrying her.
>>
>>1011015
>>1012161
That's pretty fucking funny, anon. Good catch.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 220x220
>>1012148
>5/7 bait

100% basement dweller certified
>>
>>1011935
ill do it for him, then

/thread
>>
>>1011570
id rather work 12 hrs a day and be some 18 yr old slutty bimbo's sugar daddy when im on my 60s ty
>>
>>1011015
>are not going to fuck the other over with a divorce?

HAHAHAHAHHhhahahhahahaah. Do you honestly think ANYONE who gets married thinks they're divorce later??????????

People CHANGE. Think of the person you were 5 years ago. Drastically different? How about 10 years ago. Different person? I'm sure you hung out with different people, play different video games, had different hobbies, listened to different music, etc.

Realizing this, imagine how much you'll change 5 years from today. 10 years. 20 years. Imagine your partner changes as well. How can you be so sure 2 people will still be in love in the future when you aren't even sure what these 2 people will be like ?
>>
>>1011208
Yeah, for a man. Divorce is beyond profitable for women. No wonder so many women want to get married!
>>
>>1011015
Mandatory watching: The documentary called Divorce Corp.
>>
>>1012304
Link?
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 680x440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 680x440
>>1012237
Sounds lonely.
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 1050x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 1050x476
>>1012239
Change isn't bad. With that change, think of how much you've GROWN over the years. Play video games? Nah that's more something I did as a kid. Hang out with friends every day while living at home? Can't, that spending money is now mortgage/bill money. Sure you still do these things on occasion, but not nearly as much because your responsibilities are different. Change is a good thing. You think you're in love with your spouse now? Imagine 5, 10, 20 years down the road as you get to know them more and more. As they support you and believe in you more and more and you see this throughout the years. As you spend more and more time together, go on vacations, see your family and friends get married, travel, etc. Remember how as a teenager you hated your parents because they didn't let you do stuff? 5, 10 years down the road do you still hate them? No, you've matured and now you realize they were right about a lot of stuff and were just looking out for you. People do change, and that's a good thing. You'll also mature while changing and learn to keep a cool head/work through issues you have and not be childish or hold small grudges. You learn to enjoy the good times because that's all that really matters.

Change? Yes. But for the better. A negative outlook on life is a shitty way to live. Jump in and enjoy as much as you can.

Pic related, never thought I'd be able to afford a bike 5 years ago. Wife wasn't too happy when I bought it. But as I explained my side and why I wanted it so bad, she listened and became supportive of my interest in the hobby. Even bought me an armored backpack for Christmas. Very understanding and patient, love that girl. Communication is the key, including just talking about random stuff and learning about the person you marry.
>>
>>1012422
You like your parents later in life for the same reason you like your siblings more, even if they were assholes: You stopped living with them. Everything in moderation, anon.
>>
>>1011015
Lol OP, I was in the same boat as you. Long stable relationship (8 years), good jobs, healthy and lovely child.

And then my wife decided out of nowhere that she wanted a divorce.

Now I have to sell my house, I see my child only 50% of the time and I have pay child alimony.

I've learned my biggest financial lesson the hard way. I wish you the best.
>>
>>1012756

And they wonder why dudes dont want to take on the risk of marriage and kids. Ive seen too many good men get taken down by women that know they have all the power
>>
>>1012304
this
>>
>>1011040
>a loving and supportive bond
LMAO
>>
>>1011570
But you could do all that without getting married too. Marriage isn't a prerequisite for a man and woman to share a home.
>>
>>1012756
>Now I have to sell my house, I see my child only 50% of the time and I have pay child alimony.

Sounds like you JUST got your shit fucked up
>>
>>1012180
She will divorce you if you marry anyway m8
>>
>>1012766
>alimony

If tou have shared custody why do you have to pay alimony? That makes no sense at all, does it work like that in America?
>>
>>1011015
Right now the marriage contract is skewed in favor of women, and by getting married, men are actually taking a risk.

Prior to No-Fault divorce, the expectation was that the man would take care of the woman because women were pretty severely limited in their ability to be a wage earner. The flip side to this responsibility was that the woman was relatively bound to the man, and couldn't divorce him just because she wasn't feeling it anymore.

Once No-Fault divorce was implemented, women were absolved of their responsibility to remain married, however men were still required to take care of the woman, even though women now earn equal (and in some cases better) salaries than men. Now men are quite wary of marriage.

The driving factors on the male side of getting married are generally some financials (like employer based family insurance, which is why the gays pushed for marriage), and the social expectation that if you are with a woman for more than about 3 years, you should be married. The social aspect is generally perpetuated by the older generations and religions, when the contract was different, but it is beginning to change.

All in all, this puts men in a difficult place, because from the woman's perspective, if you don't want to get married, it's because you don't trust her or you want to be able to break it off easily. Men, on the other hand, risk losing 50% of their current worth and 50% of their future earnings if their spouse divorces them 10 years from now. Things will continue this way until the courts and the law change to treat men and women equally.
>>
>>1012783
In my case (Netherlands) they will say that the child deserves to have the same living standards as when you are married.

>>1012778
True, the divorce is almost final.
>>
>>1011061
>each sexual pre marital sex partner a woman has correlates to almost a 10% increase in divorce
[citation needed]
>>
>>1011070
/thread

Also who the fuck makes $130k a year at 25? Earned a job at your dad's law firm? >>1011015
>>
>>1012783
Alimony is so the spouse can maintain the same standard of living, Child Support is so they can make sure the child has the same standard of living. A lot of people end up paying both in the USA.

>Hey we're stealing your kid, making you pay your wife for leaving you, making you pay your wife for stealing your kid, you're legally not allowed to see your child most of the time, and also go sell your house so she can get her half of the money you invested in it.
>>
Marriage have a tons of benefits if you are a woman. If you are a man, marriage only has risks.
>>
File: 1437861956359.jpg (242 KB, 680x721) Image search: [Google]
1437861956359.jpg
242 KB, 680x721
>>1012935
>>
File: victem.jpg (19 KB, 552x448) Image search: [Google]
victem.jpg
19 KB, 552x448
>>1012951
>>
File: 1448641348174.png (65 KB, 579x747) Image search: [Google]
1448641348174.png
65 KB, 579x747
>>
File: roastie btfo.png (184 KB, 845x589) Image search: [Google]
roastie btfo.png
184 KB, 845x589
>>1012968

Better to have a gf
>>
File: Canadafags.jpg (348 KB, 896x1045) Image search: [Google]
Canadafags.jpg
348 KB, 896x1045
>>1012971

Unless you're in Canada of course
>>
>>1011061
Prenups aren't that bad. The court will ignore anything about children, but it doesn't invalidate the whole thing (if properly written). Of course, it is hard to think of a reason to get married unless you want children. If you want keep those kids after a divorce, do not let them stay with the woman "just while you get things figured out". Not a single night.

Importantly, if you are under 30:
1. you don't know if you really can live with this woman forever.
2. you don't know if you really want children.
>>
>>1011146
Common law marriage.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 372x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 372x360
>>1012161
>>1012183
Wrong.

$56k vs $58k taxes. BUT - In 2015, married filing separately taxpayers only receive a standard deduction of $6,300 compared to the $12,600 offered to those who filed jointly.

Yah blew it kiddo.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 579x451) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 579x451
>>1012461
If you don't like your girlfriend because she's an asshole then you should probably stop living with her now anyway. Dumping her WOULD make you happy if she's an asshole.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 338x305
>>1012756
>wife left me
>can't figure out why
>dindu nuffin

It's your fault and you know it. Right now you can think of at least three areas where you fucked up.
>>
File: work.jpg (41 KB, 428x550) Image search: [Google]
work.jpg
41 KB, 428x550
>pros
hahaha
hhahHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>1012972
Holy shit.
>>
>>1013269
Lol no I serious dont know why she wanted a divorce. Ofcourse I've asked her. And she just told me she felt stuck in her life. I think she couldnt handle the commitment that comes with the family life.
>>
>>1012968
I wonder how the trump got off so lightly, probably a watertight prenupt
>>
>>1011015
Marriage isn't all bad if you keep her on a tight leash. The reason why divorce rates are so high is because men aren't putting the wives in their subservient place.
>>
>>1012832
My dad malde twice as much as my mom and he never had to pay child support or alimony because my parents had shared custody. He took on more financial responsibility for me and my brothers than mom but only because he's a nice guy not because the law forced him.
>>1012868
That is so fucking fucked up I can't even understand how and why. When you're divorced her finances are her own business.

I'm Swedish btw.
>>
>>1011570
This guy knows. The remaining posters ITT have shit tier women/no women. Good on you m9
>>
>>1013334
To clarify: alimony doesn't even exist in Sweden and child support is pretty much only paid if one parent has sole custody. And a parent only gets sole custody if the other parent doesn't want custody or is a drunk/drug addict/criminal.
>>
>>1011343

What specific deduction are you referring to? The only substantial benefit from marriage is that you get two housing gain exclusions on primary residence. This is only really useful to house flippers.
>>
>>1012161

Thank you. I often hear two idiotic blanket statements.

>marriage lowers taxes
>mortgage interest is deductible

These largely depend on your tax situation and should not be spouted as a truism.
>>
File: 429162148.jpg (41 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
429162148.jpg
41 KB, 720x439
>>1012971
>>
Cons:

>cant do anything when she gets fat
>cant do anything when she withholds sex
>have to be around a WOMAN 24/7
>sex with only one woman for the rest of your life
>cant do anything when the eventual nagging starts
>you can be cucked
>have to spend shitloads on a wedding
>have to spend shitloads on a ring
>possibility of losing half of assets
>possibility of alimony payments
>possibility of child support payments
>50% chance of it failing
>70% of divorces are filed for by the woman, even if you do nothing wrong she can jump ship (all states are no-fault divorce states)
>her chances of getting custody are 90%
>possibility of her using your child as a manipulation tool when granted said custody
>in some divorces the courts actually force you to pay her lawyer fees
>all prenuptial agreements can be thrown out

Pros:

>Tax benefits (in certain scenarios)
>your dumb religion said to because it will please the big sky ghost
>??????
>>
>>1013386
Funny thing is no one makes the following calculation before getting married.

Tax benefit because of mariage 5k a year.

Divorce costs initial 50k then you have to pay 6k for 10 years.

Let's say that a marriage last 50 years. Then you would have 250k profit. When you divorce it will cost you 110k.

So the break even point is at 12 years of marriage.

But the change of having a divorce in the first 12 years of your marriage is around 43%!
>>
>>1013418
>So the break even point is at 12 years of marriage.
/biz/
calculationg the break even point for a marriage
top kek
>>
File: 1374010026819.png (85 KB, 1634x327) Image search: [Google]
1374010026819.png
85 KB, 1634x327
>>1013423
4chan likes to calculate things.
>>
>>1011015
Is her mom/dad fat? She'll be the same.
Are her parents happy in marriage? She'll be the same.
Are her parents good with money? She'll be the same.
Did she fuck 20 dudes before you? She'll keep doing it.
>>
>>1011208
Do you like your own Facebook posts too you fucking faggot?
>>
>>1011015
At that salary it only serves for her to take half.
You should've got a symbolic/religious marriage nigga.
>>
All these manchildren bitching about getting the short end of the stick.
How many of you have actually been in serious relationships anyway?
All this fear and stat regurgitation is ridiculous.
None of you even consider that 70% of the people getting married today will stay married. The divorce rate is dropping very quickly.

If you're not an idiot and don't get married for stupid reasons you don't have much to worry about.
>>
>>1014545
>None of you even consider that 70% of the people getting married today will stay married. The divorce rate is dropping very quickly.
Likely because people are wising up, because of threads like this.
>>
File: 654984298429485.gif (4 MB, 300x195) Image search: [Google]
654984298429485.gif
4 MB, 300x195
>>1013266
wtf are you talking about, are you comparing married separate to jointly filed instead of comparing filing as single because you DONT GET MARRIED?

also $6300 x 2 individuals = $12600
>>
>>1011015

My advice?

Don't plan to live on BOTH of your incomes.

Live on one, bank the other. That way, if either of you have to stop working, catch a bullet, or whatever, you don't need to worry.

Living below your means is epic.
>>
>>1014545
>How many of you have actually been in serious relationships anyway?
I was in one for 4 years. She wanted to get married after college but I took my cousin's advice to live with someone for 2 years before getting married. So glad I took that advice, she turned into a leach. It was like I had to babysit someone who spent my money, didn't pay rent, gained 50lbs, and acted like a spoiled princess.

>70% of the people getting married today will stay married.
That's a fucking horrible percentage for the consequences. "Only" a 30% chance to get fucked over isn't a good thing.

>If you're not an idiot and don't get married for stupid reasons you don't have much to worry about.
Getting married because other people want you to is the most stupid reason.
>>
>>1011015
have you ever seen or heard of couples that were the happiest on earth before marriage and had a great life, only to drift apart some years after finally getting married?

ever wonder why that is?

i'll tell you: it's because people don't see/think long term, much like when they decide to have children.

sure, atm it's all roses and sunshine, but what about in 5-10 years? what about when her biological clock starts ticking and she decides to quit her career to settle down and have kids, making you the primary provider? what about when she doesn't want to take care of the children and the house by herself even though she no longer works? what about when she vents her stress on you and it's expected, but if you do the same you're a monster?

sure your girl could be an exception, she might not want kids and might follow a career, but it's a gamble and one you're likely to lose.

oh and don't believe the whole "i don't want to have kids" bullshit talk, they all say that but then they turn 30+ and i guarantee the talk will change. make it past 40 and you're likely to be safe, but good luck with that.
>>
File: 1447636551410.jpg (67 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1447636551410.jpg
67 KB, 640x640
>>1013334
>That is so fucking fucked up I can't even understand how and why. When you're divorced her finances are her own business.

Exactly. I thought child support sucks (if you can't afford to steal my child then don't steal my child), but I was still planning on getting married one day. Then I found out about alimony and suck fuuuuck no.

There's a reason Canadian and USA men are against marriage.

>>1013418
>Let's say that a marriage last 50 years. Then you would have 250k profit. When you divorce it will cost you 110k.

The initial cost of the divorce is also half of the money you make more than her. If she makes 50k and you make 100k that's an extra 15k per year after taxes, so you're at a 40k loss. Plus US alimony is income-based, it can be far higher than 6k. Brandon Fraser is the extreme example, as he owes $900,000 annually in alimony. That's the extreme, of course, but it shows there's really no ceiling for how badly you can get fucked.
>>
>>1014645
Kinda this, most middle aged men I knoe that are "successful" are pretty much the definition of cucks. Soulless work slaves that obey relentlessly. I guess they're happy though...
>>
>>1011015
Take advantage of combined income and use it to get loans to buy rental properties
>>
>>1014651
The best way at this moment to hedge against ever having to pay alimony is to marry someone who makes similar money to you, and get the best prenup you can.

Also try not to put her in a position where she can claim she made sacrifices to further your career, and in the process hurt her earning potential. This is where so many military guys get boned, since the wife followed him around for years and didn't ever really get her own career.

Child support I'm not so against, the idea is that the kid(s) should enjoy the same quality of life that they did when parents had combined income.
>>
>>1014661
they've just accepted it and try to make the best of it. they know it's not the perfect happy marriage or wife they thought they'd have when they first married, but since they abandoned the notion of being single and trying to start anew is a huge gamble, they settle for what they have and deal with the bad parts while making the most of the good ones.

and it's understandable, just look at what society thinks of a 30+ single man. hell, a man who's still just dating while 30+ is already regarded as lonely or downright pathetic. by 40 you're either in a serious, long term relationship, considering marriage or divorced.

it's pretty stupid how hostile our culture is to the notion of a man remaining single and independent while still being perfectly happy for a major portion of his life. not all of us are dogs who require constant petting and companionship.
>>
>>1013423
>calculationg the break even point for a marriage
Bitch please, I'm planning to become an actuary.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the male/female ratio in the actuarial profession? A few of the tips here have been to marry people of similar interests and income, which for me would probably mean another actuary.
>>
>>1014709

Hey I'm going to be an actuary too. Also the ratio is something like 55/45 if you'd believe it. A bit more males, but it's very equal in general through out the world.
>>
>>1012422
Congrats you have some arbitrary anecdotal evidence that refutes the claim... Idiot
>>
>>1014689
Why do American women automatically get sole custody?
>>
>>1011061
>Fyi, each sexual pre marital sex partner a woman has correlates to almost a 10% increase in divorce

Source?
>>
>>1011127
Kek
>>
>>1014753
Some major judge in the past had mommy issues and decided that children shouldn't be taken from their mothers, but it's okay to take them from their fathers.

He must have been rich because that's still the rule today.
>>
>>1012783
Yes, but alimony is so that if your wife hasn't worked in 10 years, you pay them alimony for a year so they can transition back into the workforce.
>>
>>1012968
And most people have a net worth of 4-10X that. Plus, as you can see, it goes both ways.
>>
>>1014719
>Hey I'm going to be an actuary too.
Do tell anon, what got you interested? I'm a UK Maths student myself and just see it as the best option, although I've got a huge interest in statistics and just the sheer wizardry of being able to get a bunch of data and say stuff like "I'm 95% confident that this guy will be dead in 4 years, so charge him this much".

What part of actuarial work on you planning to go into?
>>
>>1012180
then shes the wrong girl
>>
>>1014796
>a year
No anon, up until 2012 in most states it was FOR LIFE. Now in most states it's until your spouse reaches retirement or remarries.
>>
>>1014840
You're right, I just checked. Most blue states are fine though.
>>
Sheesh, just find a girl that makes more money than you and be a stay-at-home dad. Spend your days seducing au pairs you meet on the playground.
Hard mode: get alimony after you get caught
Extreme mode: your wife likes threesomes with the au pairs. Come on, /biz/ get on my level.
>>
Maintaining a healthy relationship also puts a whole lot of stress on you sometimes. I can't imagine how you manage 10-20+ year of it, I got to 7 before breaking up.
>>
>>1014771
That's more feminist than even yuropoor
>>
>>1014840
Does it work like that even if she has a job? What if she earns as much/more than you?
>>
File: 1406280437879.jpg (55 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1406280437879.jpg
55 KB, 500x750
>Falling for the marriage meme
>2015
I'm lucky to live in an age where i can fill the void of being single with materialism and learning. You get used to it eventually and find other ways to fullfil yourself. Stay strong, lads.
>>
>>1014939
>even if she has a job
Yes, 100% of the time her having a job does not eliminate or even decrease alimony payments.
>if she makes more than you
Most of the time the person that makes more is supposed to pay alimony, but it's hard to get female/old judges to rule in favor of the guys. Most of the time, if the girl makes more, the guy won't get alimony but he doesn't have to pay it either.
>>
2bh, just going to a hooker once in a while to get your dick wet will cost you less in the long run.
>>
>>1012142
>Marry a woman who makes close to what you make, and who has the same level of education, if you want the marriage to be fulfilling economically and socially.
I think so even if it's hard to predict the future
>>
>>1014957
>You get used to it eventually and find other ways to fullfil yourself
Internet porn?
>>
File: swtmvsx.jpg (69 KB, 666x570) Image search: [Google]
swtmvsx.jpg
69 KB, 666x570
>>1014607
>Living below your means is epic.
>epic
>>
If I were to get married I'd 'give' my assets to a trusted family member in some form or another. If I had a house, I'd put it in my father's name etc.
>>
>>1015677
>A trusted family member.

And what happens if they get divorced? Or your family member suddenly dies? What you gave them is no longer yours. You have no claim. It becomes marital property for them, split between them. And there ain't shit you can do about that. (I'm witnessing this very thing as we speak...)

I'm no lawyer but I think putting things in a "trust" might be something to look at.
>>
>>1015677
I'm still not seeing any viable answers in this thread beyond prenup or just don't get married.

Sad....
>>
>>1015702

I'd put more odds in myself getting divorces, in this day and age, than those unfortunate circumstances happening to my father. Trusts seem like a good idea and I'd look into them if I was planning on getting married. Honestly, though, I don't know a lot about them.
>>
>>1011454
did noone ever teach you correlation =/= causation you pretentious aspie?
>>
>>1011570
then someone like me fucks her behind your back.
>>
>>1015709
So just get a prenup. If you were Jewish, it would be required before you can get married.
>>
>>1014799
>goes both ways
>only 2 women lost money
yeah no
>>
File: Thing.jpg (36 KB, 385x400) Image search: [Google]
Thing.jpg
36 KB, 385x400
>>1012860

>>1014758
It getsp osted on/pol/ all the time; I'll try to find it.

Here it is.

Source is from "Premarital Sex, Premarital Cohabitation, and the Risk of Subsequent Marital Dissolution Among Women" bv Jay Teachman
>>
>>1012971
Top fucking kek.
It's bullshit, but based bf.
>>
>>1015806
Had no idea. Should have married a Jew instead of a Catholic. FML
>>
>>1011015
>Supportive parents, who paid for their house, meaning no mortgage, just property taxes
So you got a house your parents bought you.
>Making over 130k in your mid 20s
Did your dad give you a job in his law firm?
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.