[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>have a salaried office job, this is the third week in >turn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: pepe wine.png (26 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
pepe wine.png
26 KB, 500x346
>have a salaried office job, this is the third week in
>turn up 15m early each day as a sign of good faith
>boss kept me in 30m late for a client meeting last week
>boss gets a rush of work
>asks me to turn up at 7:45 today and keeps me in til 6
>asks me to turn up at 7:45 tomorrow

I'm considering keeping a ledger of these times to eventually call a favor, because I don't have faith that I'll get my returns through some kind of bonus.
>>
He's using you. People too good as functionaries don't get promotions too OP. Slack off slowly, and keep at the healthy median of your colleagues.
>>
>>1010382
It's a company full of mid to high level people, I'm the only entry-level guy there.

Everyone's getting called in early tomorrow so that's the median

As a balance we left at 3 last Friday
>>
>>1010390
>babbys frist job
>doesnt realize that there's more work in holiday season
>upset that hes working 30-45 min extra

Sure they could hire 1 extra person to make up for the extra work but it's normal to just add an extra 30 min onto everyone's day for a week or two when the workload increases. You could be an asshole and only work your exact written hours or try to guilt the boss into giving you favours, but good luck getting to the mid level part of the company with that attitude.
>>
>'m considering keeping a ledger of these times to eventually call a favor,
just no.
Don't know you what
>salaried
means?
it means you get paid to do a job, whether it takes 20 hours a week or 80 hours week.
in theory if you could finish your job early you'd get to leave early, but that doesn't work in modern world.
protip=the bosses job is to make you work as much as possible, a good boss in ceo's eye would be someone who could trick their employees into working 70 hour weeks. It doesn't cost any more,
>>
>>1010372
you were a sucker to take a salary

hourly or bust
>>
yeah yeah. and one day in January. maybe you can ask for a hlaf day because dentist or something. or maybe not. whatever, you'll get used to it. 8am to 6 is NORMAL. do you get an hour lunch? whatever you do, don't shove a ledger in his face or HR's face and ask for time off for extra work. lol.You've been warned
stick with it for a year then look for a better job if you don't like your boss,, co-workers, but remember the hours are the same everywhere. Because if you don't want your job, I'll take it.
>>
>>1010372

Work at a start up if you want a bonus. Work longer hours if you want a promotion / raise. School hours are a joke and why we suck compared to Asia. Get used it
>>
>>1011457
Right, there are 2 sides to the salary coin. It all depends on who has the leverage.

>employer has the leverage
"I work as a manager of a grocery store. Back when I was assistant manager, I would work 40 hours per week with a consistent schedule. Now, there's so much to do, I'm lucky if I can get it all done in 60 hours and 6 day weeks. My pay rate per hour has actually dropped after promotion to big cheese."

>employee has the leverage
"After creating the software my company relies on, as well as putting in code that will fuck them over if I leave even for a day, I threatened to leave and do independent consulting for 10x more than my current hourly wage. They begged me to stay, and my only duty is to maintain the software I created, on salary. I only work 1-2 hours per day and get to telecommute my hours on all days but 2 per month. Yet, I get paid as if I did 40 hours. Last time I went into the office, I showed up 2 hours late and browsed /biz/ for 2 hours. Then, I bs'ed with my boss for 30 minutes and left. "
>>
Huh, I have a salaried office job and we got to leave early today and everyone has tomorrow off. Working in corporate is pretty nice desu. On the ground level side of things I'm sure people probably are getting called in for shit.
>>
>>1010372

Just depends on how well you are being treated and how well you are being paid.

I wouldn't keep up this behavior if this guy just looks at you like dispenseable labor.
>>
>>1011459

also this.

salary work is nearly always abused.
>>
>>1011950
That's pretty much how I saw salaried jobs getting handled.

You start as a lowly peon that's grabbed by the balls to do whatever the company demands because he's expendable, but 10 years down the road, you become so valuable that your presence actually out-leverages the company trying to find a suitable replacement.

Though, maybe that only works for programmers...
>>
>>1010372

You fucked up by showing up 15 minutes early each day and being seen. He sees you want to impress and now he's put you in a position where he has total leverage over you. Either you show up early and work late or you lose your job and because you didn't have a spine you're now in a position where you're fucked if you decide to grow a pair.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.