[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /biz/'s thoughts on T. Rowe Price mutual funds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: T.-Rowe-Price-logo.jpg (85 KB, 956x305) Image search: [Google]
T.-Rowe-Price-logo.jpg
85 KB, 956x305
What are /biz/'s thoughts on T. Rowe Price mutual funds?

A year or two ago I put $5k in both the New Era (PRNEX) and Health Sciences (PRHSX) funds. Total returns so far are 4.58% but I'd like to be up by at least $1k by the time I cash out (an overall 20% increase, ignoring inflation). For these two funds, how realistic is that for a goal over the next two or three years?

And this may be a very basic question, but how do I know for sure when to sell? In particular I'm interested in PRHSX because apparently it's closed to new investors, so I wouldn't want to sell it all until I was absolutely sure of the gains to be made. Is the decision to sell based on the fund reaching a certain value (sort of like a stop-loss) or do some people sell based on a pattern in the trend for the fund performance?
>>
I bet no one on this board knows shit about actively managed mutual funds

And they really don't need to
I personally wouldn't hire a fund manager even if he did beat the market, fuck him and his business
>>
>Actively managed mutual funds
KYS
>>
File: image001.jpg (45 KB, 406x320) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
45 KB, 406x320
>>1387141
>>1387143
When I originally put money into these funds, it was on the recommendation of a financial advisor that my parents (recently retired) had been seeing. I was interested in putting my money into energy because of the (at the time) recent drop in the price of oil and health sciences because of the expanding biotech aspect.

Looking at alternatives, it appears that Vanguard has both energy (VGENX) and health (VGHCX) funds as well and they're generally known for having lower fees. I see that the expense ratios are about half of what T. Rowe Price offers (PRNEX at 0.67% versus VGENX at 0.37%, and PRHSX at 0.76% versus VGHCX at 0.36%).

That said, given that the amount of money and percentages involved are small, I'd like to stick to my current funds until such time as I am able to get the money out at the target amount of at least $12k. Is that a reasonable course of action knowing the above?

Looking into the future, I have a fair amount of money in savings at present. Would it make sense to plunk down a large amount (tens of thousands of dollars) on one of the Vanguard 500 index funds, for example, VFIAX? I'm currently on the fence about this since I keep hearing about a possible market correction in the near future and with recent events (Brexit, Turkey, etc.) am worried about possible volatility shortly after investing into such a fund.
>>
I currently sub manage a fund, and those results are pretty shocking . Mutual funds of that level yeild los returns due to lack of overall exposure to the markets . What I would recomend is finding a forex based fund targeting returns of 20-35 percent per annum . The usd is in play with the latest job creation figures , Britex shook the market , and ripples will continue as well as a devaluation of the yen to support the coming generations of Chinese and their related expansion .
>>
File: logo-77708194.jpg (22 KB, 287x190) Image search: [Google]
logo-77708194.jpg
22 KB, 287x190
>>1387224
Thanks for the advice, but I'm too financially stupid to risk put money into currencies. For the bulk of the money I intend to invest in the future, I would probably go with a passively managed index fund like VFIAX (unless there's a specific reason not to) with no specific target in mind. It's just the matter of a possible upcoming market correction that has me on the sidelines for the time being.

Regarding my current funds, if it manages to hit 5% returns for the next three years then I should pretty much hit my goal - mostly I am interested if anyone knows enough about PRNEX and PRHSX specifically and whether such a thing would be possible for those funds.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.