[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job Hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Christian-Bale-as-Michael-Burry.jpg (261 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Christian-Bale-as-Michael-Burry.jpg
261 KB, 600x400
How did you get your current job?

How much did you start making and how much are you making now?

Do you have any tips for people who are currently at the bottom of the ladder? Job hunting tips in particular. I am currently working a minimum wagecuck job, and in the process of finding a higher paying job. Any job hunting tips is appreciated.
>>
>>1386998
>How did you get your current job?
Nepotism
>How much did you start making and how much are you making now?
I was given a house and a new car and it becomes legally mine when I graduate from my sociology degree
>Do you have any tips for people who are currently at the bottom of the ladder? Job hunting tips in particular.
Ask your mum or dad to hook you up at their law firm.
>>
>>1386998

>How did you get your current job?
Moved to a suburb of Detroit in 2012. Wifey hooked me up at that place to work in a tiny machine shop. I was a drop out international student because I had addiction issues. I was a button pusher there taking orders from people who didn't even graduate high-school. My wife got fired and decided to just receive her SS check and watch steve wilkos/ maury every morning so I busted my ass learning to use the machines better watching videos on youtube etc. Luckily my dad helped me with a downpayment for a shitty car so atleast that was covered. 2 years after moving up the ladder I applied to a larger machine show where I got an opportunity to go from a CNC machinist to a CNC programmer and my pay increased. They also pay me for schooling so I can atleast have an associate degree.

>How much did you start making and how much are you making now?
$10 in 2012, $19 in 2014 after moving to the new shop. $22.50 in 2016. I still go to school whenever I get a chance and take a course that looks good on my resume.

>Do you have any tips for people who are currently at the bottom of the ladder? Job hunting tips in particular.
Be social. It is better to get a job through work of mouth. Get your foot in the door of a larger company even if the pay is stupid. Being a laborer in shipping/receiving, an office boy etc etc. Serve them, don't show an attitude. It is expected that you won't be treated with the most respect. Be consistent, don't miss days of work, be on time etc etc. Show a CONSISTENT desire to work your way up. Management always notices that. Try to stay away from fast food jobs. Whatever the sign says, it is not a fucking career. If you're black, don't have a name like Jamal or Devante.
>>
>>1386998
Got my job because the first person they hired was a shit and got fired, so they hired me after I said I was still interested.

Started at 16.65 hourly, two years later now make about 17.00 hourly.

Best advice I can give is... don't work for the USPS. They are shifting to a temp workforce because full-timers are too expensive, and the unions are helping this process greatly by negotiating for the interests of full-timers and letting management do whatever the fuck they want to part-time workers (even new full-timers get shit on to be honest; the union agreed to a two-tier wage system in 2012 and now everyone like me makes 30% less than the old bastards who signed up before that date, and there is absolutely no indication that this will change for the better).

I actually work more hours than any of the regular staff at my office, managers and supervisors included. I work Sundays, federal holidays, and do clerk work when our clerks are sick or on vacation (a big no-no if anyone cared to report it, which they do not). I've nearly been killed or injured several times delivering packages on icy roads late at night on Christmas season. I've been underpaid for days I worked and my pay check is consistently late with no explanation. I've worked hundreds of unpaid hours because of the way our pay structure works (piece work system insures our pay is the same no matter how long it takes to finish our deliveries, unless we go into overtime, which no longer happens).

Sorry if this sounds like blogshit but I'm giving you my personal experience so you don't make the same mistake I did... bottom line is don't go into a union gig without asking how the union treats new guys. If they treat them all like shit then odds are the field isn't one you really want to be in anyway.
>>
>>1386998
Networking is the only thing that is important.

The rest is negotiable.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.