[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Roth IRA"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1468142027370.jpg (103 KB, 853x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468142027370.jpg
103 KB, 853x960
The dude at my bank was all about this earlier, but I told him I'd go home and think it over.

>~20,000 per year
>rate, not salary
>no 401k

Why did he suggest this so strongly? Should I cop?
>>
If your workplace doesn't have a 401k, then you should have an IRA/roth-IRA

IRA are basically "tax-sheltered" accounts which you can purchase stocks, bonds, any sort of investments etc -- most end up with an ETF or an a broad index fund. If you can imagine a privatized (doubly taxed -- using post tax dollars) pension plan, that's your IRA plans. Same function as Social Security but higher returns, so that's what I mean by doubly taxed.

401K's are pre-tax dollars so they're not doubly taxed, and they're structured in the same vein. You end up paying taxes upon taking funds out, much like a regular IRA.

A regular IRA allows annual tax deductions (I mean fat ass returns). A roth IRA doesn't allow tax deductions, but a roth IRA allows you to avoid taxes upon taking funds out at the age of 65.
>>
>>1376196
I see I see. Thank you for your insight anon, I will talk to bankman probably next month.
>>
>>1376196
So it doesn't make much sense for a 20 year old college student to be putting money made from part time job into an IRA I'm guessing.
>>
>>1376199
At that point you should probably just put it in a normal savings account
>>
>>1376199
The advice I have is:
The more you save, and the earlier, the better you'll be in the future -- if you park your money in the right place.

$3000/year is a sweet spot. I think /biz/ has instructions on how to do it.
>>
>>1376204
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio
>>
>>1376196
this. as much as roth ira is spammed here, go traditional. there's no telling what the tax rates will be in the future, and if you ever have a crisis where you need to withdraw, you likely wont be taxed as much as you would immediately by investing in a roth ira.

plus, pre-tax naturally earns more than post-tax. id rather be taxed on higher profits. the confusing part here is how dividends work with roth iras. it's possible that a roth ira of 100% dividend yielding securities earns more than a traditional, but thats a different thread. basically, dividends arent taxed in a roth ira.
>>
>>1376204
Replace save with sell and you actually make sense.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.