[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coding.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: imgres.jpg (9 KB, 330x153) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
9 KB, 330x153
Is it worthy to invest my time to learn to code with basic knowledge of major languages?

Is there a slight chance it may be profitable in the future?

Or did I miss the train that passed years ago?

appreciate advice from any extent of experience
>>
>>1364162
>Or did I miss the train that passed years ago?

If you want to be a code monkey, then Pajeet will beat you ten out of ten times. If you want to be a programmer and make real money on it, you need to understand software development and have a mind for coding.

BUT. If you're trying to save your business some money by being able to code things yourself, then yes, it's 100% worth it to learn.
>>
>>1364170
This too.

If you don't know anything about programming and hire someone who you think just LOOKS good, you could run into trouble with them just being a shitty fucking programmer. You wouldn't know they're a shitty programmer unless you know a thing or two.

In this day and age anyone can go fucking take a week long class on Node.JS or some bullshit coding "bootcamp" and throw together a bootstrap website that looks presentable. There are also ways you can create software with a fucking GUI.

I use the term software lightly, but it compiles... or something... and it runs on a computer.

You don't want to hire these people.
>>
>>1364162
Sure it's worth it. C# will take you maybe a few weeks to a month of casual tinkering to understand and then whenever you need something specialized you can just make a desktop app for it.

Coding is a valuable life skill and once you grasp one language you'll get any other very fast.

Can't tell you about the profitability, depends on a zillion factors. When I was a kid I sold shitty script and apps on my site and made maybe $300 a week on autopilot. Made some bots for a spammer friend and got a couple K from my share.

Nowadays I'm too lazy for making a vendor again but I still enjoy coding tools. How do you go about selling a windows app these days? Still stuck with having to make your own vendor and setting up your own payment solution? I guess I should partner up with a marketing guy on a 50/50 deal.
>>
>>1364162

Replace code with computer and imagine yourself asking this twenty years ago and you have your answer.
>>
File: 21312.png (113 KB, 247x255) Image search: [Google]
21312.png
113 KB, 247x255
Econ major here, what language(s) should I learn if I want a job in finance/I-banking? I take my first econometrics course this fall.
>>
>>1364628
Anyone?
>>
>>1364704
Finance related field usually would use languages like C++, C# or Java. C++ for cases when they want ultimate opimization, but C++ is a tricky language.
>>
>>1364162
These days, all of the money is in software development, design, and engineering, not coding. However, if you endeavor to get into software development, knowledge of the language that the program will be coded in does help with design and making efficient programs.
>>
>>1364704
Matlab, SQL, and most importantly advanced excel stuff. A lot of your job will most likely be using tools built by the back office, but it can't hurt to take an intro programming class so that words like "for loop" or "hash table" aren't a foreign language to you.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.