[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw no relevant pictures Need help asking for a raise. And
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: fer_de_lance.jpg (91 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
fer_de_lance.jpg
91 KB, 610x343
>mfw no relevant pictures

Need help asking for a raise. And a basic guide to managing finances well

Never even been on /biz/

I've been at my current job for a year, Age 21. And starting over since I was an idiot after HS

I'm wage slaving for $1600ish a month but within 5-10 years can be making great money if I just continue to work hard and not piss off the family to bad. I work in a Family owned multi million business that's been around since 61, I also happen to be pretty closely related with the current owners.

I'm working as a computer tech in the IT Dept which none of the other family knows anything about, making it so my position as a Supervisor is pretty secure with time and effort. (Easily 6 a figure salary)

That's fine for the future but right now I'm struggling to stay afloat. I take $200 out every week and putting it in a savings account for the winter (we work 9 months out of the year with 3 off in winter). Planning to buy a vehicle this winter.

After savings I have roughly $140 a week after taxes. $30 a month goes to my phone bill (bought a burner to cut down costs), another $140 a month goes to my housing (cheap but hardly even average) and after I buy a vehicle I'll probably be spending another $200-$300 a month for insurance and gas. And then there's the money I use for leisure, drinking with the help, buying decent enough clothes to wear to the family's events, and food.

Obviously I'm cash strapped.
>>
>>1345521
Cont.
So here's my question, I really need a raise. I just don't know how to ask for one, I know my co-workers are making $2400 a month average, although they've also been here for about 4-8 years. But my job doesn't require a lot of fine know how, it's mostly just "can you work and not quit half way through a job". Which I've proven I've done. So I think I've earned my place making something substantial compared to my co-workers regardless if I got the job due to family ties.

>How much should I ask for to afford my expenses?
>How should I ask
>When should I ask, after a big job, before, or during?
>How do I bring up the fact I'm being underpaid compared to my co-workers without my boss pulling the "discrete wages" card
>What are some resources you guys can point me towards to help me make a budget, manage my money, learn to be better at getting the money I want, and general business stuff for a new arrival?
>>
>>1345523
>>1345521

hurr kneepads.
>>
>>1345564
Explain this meme
>>
>>1345564
you gon' be suckin' a lotta dick boi.

>>1345521
http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p

Download all my shit. read it, watch it get it done.
Start with Iwty2br.
>>
4 steps

>make yourself irreplaceable, either to your superior or the company or both
>demonstrate this (call in sick, noshow, etc)
>create the fear of losing you
>force their hand
>>
>>1345974
Thanks mate
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.