[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/ so my girlfriends mom makes her own kombucha. it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: kombucha.jpg (47 KB, 400x489) Image search: [Google]
kombucha.jpg
47 KB, 400x489
Hey /biz/

so my girlfriends mom makes her own kombucha.

it is really good. i've had several kinds on shelves and this is way better.

what is a typical really straightforward business model for this?

like the 4 or 5 major steps?

there could be problems because there is a tiny bit of alcohol in kombucha so apparently that can cause problems like at tradeshows.

i have no biz knowledge but it is really good and she is old and doesn't know how to go about it. i figured i would check here if you guys could help out.

obviously this will not be my end all be all to figure this out or to see if it is feasible or worthwhile to pursue.

we live in Pennsylvania, about an hour outside Philadelphia.

I just figured an old lady making her own kombucha with natural ingredients that tastes good would sell well.

she also used pic related for containers which is unique i guess.

thanks for any and all help

thank you for any constructive criticism.

sorry if this isn't the place to post this
>>
not that I have any experience, but perhaps try selling at a farmer's market? Trendy hipster liberals who go to farmer's markets love trendy hipster foofy things like kombucha, and will pay a steep premium if you tell them it's all natural or whatever.
>>
>>1329938

probably not the best idea as it is a common craft good. Lots of work. Lots of risks.
>>
>>1329969
I've started making homemade bone broth lately. I saw a book on Amazon which said it would give you better hardons and increased energy, which was enough of a sell for me to give it a try. I've heard it's now the latest hipster trend, with "bone broth bars" opening in leftoid cities like New York to cater to trustifarian hipsters with more money than sense. Basically the new juice bar.

I wonder if there's a market for that at the farmer's market. It's pretty inexpensive to make, at about $3 per gallon for ingredients, and is fairly effortless since you just let it simmer in a pot for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. The hardest part is the bottling. It takes a long time so I imagine most people won't go through the effort. There could be an opportunity there to sell "organic, all natural, healthy, high nutrient, vitality boosting, other hipster-appealing buzzword bone broth". Hmmm.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>1329989
>I wonder if there's a market for that
A "stock" market?
>>
File: smug cat.png (58 KB, 414x409) Image search: [Google]
smug cat.png
58 KB, 414x409
>>1330004
>>
>>1329977

common?

i suppose so

risks?

can you elaborate a bit?
>>
>>1330017
You're selling a homemade (alcoholic) food product
Make sure to look into the legal requirements and health codes of your state, mate
Worst case scenario is a big ol lawsuit
>>
>>1330017
Bad bugs get in and you poison a bunch of folks
>>
>>1329938
You're never going to make a lot of money from this.

Go sell it at some local farmers markets if you want, but the industry is competitive as fuck and you don't stand a chance.

Also, I'm jelly as fuck. I love me some kombucha, but it's like $10 for a smallish bottle of it in Australia.
>>
>>1330036
>>1330052
>>1330069
bummer, well thanks for the info i do appreciate that
>>
>>1329989
There was a thread on Quora about this - some guy is doing it now.
I don't know how to find it though.
>>
>>1329989

Couldn't you put it in a slow cooker?
>>
>>1330089
As long as you make sure you're clean and legal, I'd go for it
Food handler's liscenses aren't too difficult to get (though I can't speak for Pennsylvania)
I'm not sure what you'd need past that, and alcohol probably adds stuff as well
But if you have the time and cleanliness, you probably won't run into too many problems
I'm not sure if many farmers markets allow selling alcohol, however
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.