[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: k-on, asuza money.gif (597 KB, 480x291) Image search: [Google]
k-on, asuza money.gif
597 KB, 480x291
If a bank gives you 3% yearly interest in a GIC, then how much money are they making? Is it 4% a year, and they give you 3%? Or does the bank make something ridiculous, like 3% monthly interest off your savings?

Will we ever know?

Also, I was looking at the Canada government website, and they said charity donations are only tax deductible up to 75%, in America what is the percentage, is it 90-100%?
>>
>>1321229

Sorry, I guess GIC is a Canadian savings account, where the money is locked into it for a year or more.
>>
>>1321229
no they usually have a fixed fee for handling and a fee if you break up your deposit.
i imagine something like a state bond will be behind that investment.
>>
>>1321229
>If a bank gives you 3% yearly interest in a GIC, then how much money are they making?
While banks do many things with your money, the traditional way they make money is my lending it to people and companies and charging them interest on the loans. Interest rates on loans vary wildly depending on the loan and the borrower.

The lowest interest rate you can ever expect to find on a loan is called the prime rate, which is currently around 3.5%. This is for an institutional loan with essentially ZERO risk, which is pretty rare. Most companies borrow at somewhere prime + 2 to prime + 6, so 5.5% to 9.5%.

Loans to individuals tend to be higher, with the exception of mortgages. Mortgages are generally near the prime rate because they are extremely low risk, statistically speaking. Personal loans(lines of credit, overdraft protection, etc.) are generally higher, going all the way up to credit cards, which can range from 12% to 18%.

Also, banks make fees on all loans, which add materially to their profit.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.