[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you supposed to do when your plans for your career come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1225749230509.jpg (75 KB, 611x404) Image search: [Google]
1225749230509.jpg
75 KB, 611x404
What are you supposed to do when your plans for your career come into conflict with your family's expectations of you?

I come from an old-fashioned Italian family (Everyone stays together, kids live at home until they get married, etc.), but I want to work in PR for race car drivers, which will naturally mean I have to move away from home. My father is a successful businessman who thinks I won't make any money doing PR and will have a shitty life, and my grandparents are in their 90s and are trying to convince me not to move away from home (My grandpa wants me to make a pension in some government job, but that's just old man talk). I know that the decision is mine at the end of the day, but I don't know how I'm going to make a future for myself without hurting them or disregarding their feelings.

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience where their families didn't want them to do something career-wise?
>>
>>1319303
grandad want's me to get any government job for pension too, dad want's me to be a diplomat since i already speak enough languages and the benefits and retirement are insane, but not only do i not want to work for the government, but i think i would be able to earn much more in private / my own business

Honestly there's no way out, at the end of the day they will be happy if you are happy, and are just looking out for you in their own way.For the living at home i honestly have no problem living at home with parents and 5min walk of granparents, i love my family and we have always celebrated everything together

t. italian-brazillian mongrel
>>
>>1319303
>family's expectations
stopped reading right there.

live life for yourself who gives a fuck what anyone wants you to do because in 50 years they will likely be dead and you will still be around to live with whatever choice you made. do what you want
>>
>>1319338
>>1319303
Working for the government is always secure, cruisey work. yeah you'll never be 'rich' but you'll never face the prospect of failure or poverty and that redution in stress can improve your quality of life as much as $millions.

Listen to your Dad's, they've faced all the same thoughts and challenges as you and have a bit more insight and experience to make decisions off.

Of course the other thing is that even more secure than a government job is a family's love. If you really wanna do PR for racing drivers, they'll love you no matter what and they'll be there to support you if everything does fall apart.

So chase your dreams, but remember that your family always does have your best interests at heart.

t. Australian shitposter who suddenly thinks 4chans mght be better if I post sincerely.
>>
>>1319303

Italian families are tight knit.

UK families and many American families are more: "do your own thing and come back to us if you need some help making it work".

You just gotta decide if you're gonna be your own man or always be leaning on the family.

Your parents are tight tho, is that even like a real job? Pretty sure the only people making money in racing are: The drivers, the crew, and the owners.
>>
>>1319420

Someone's got to coordinate things between the drivers and the media. That and get drivers to autograph sessions and appearances and all that.

I was recently with a friend's family and seeing them all be so happy he was moving from his hometown to Raleigh was a bit of a shock to me. The last time someone in my family moved away it was all gloom and woe.
>>
>>1319303
> plans for your career come into conflict with your family's expectations

Seek therapy

Seriously
>>
>>1319303
only career advice i ever got from my family:

(My mom was raised on a far) (i was not, suburbs ftw) and she said her dad told her " we will help you pay expenses to be whatever you want, as long as you dont farm"
she told me the same when i said farming sounded nice and easy when i was 10ish

and my dad said " do whatever you want as long as you're good at it, and never turn down moving away for a job or education because you think you need to be close to family, you'll regret it for the rest of your life"

so whats more important to you, your own happiness, or sparing the feelings of people who dont seem to have your own personal best interest at heart?

imagine yourself in ten years, which would you regret not doing more? whats the worst case scenario if either one doesnt end well?

who will be more forgiving, your resume, or your loving family?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.