[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/ I want to start an unconventional investment thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 615x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 615x400
Hey /biz/ I want to start an unconventional investment thread. I'm at a place in my finances where I'd like I start venturing into more unique investments, outside of public markets and realestate. I was recently offered the opportunity to invest in a local brewery. Tell me about your successes or failures in alternative investment ventures.
>>
Self-bump
>>
I have not invested in much sorry OP.

I invested like £500 into a families bussniess when I was a young fag and made my money back.

But best of luck.
>>
>>1300474
Most people on here are losers and just invest for fun because it makes them feel cool (personal experience), so, we are all either homeowners (rare) or we own typical securities on our local exchange.

tldr; doubt any of us have alternative investments/venture capitaled

Sounds interesting though, I would learn some accounting ratios and what not from investopedia before you decide whether to invest and also compare to local average andindustry average to sus out if it's a good investment.

Source: finance student
>>
>>1300696
I know that a large proportion of this board can be described in that way, but I've periodically lurked here long enough to see that there are definitely some people with legitimate knowledge and experience.

I posted at a pretty low traffic time. I'll wait to see if this thread picks up later
>>
>>1300696
Also, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>1300696
this mostly. at this point in life, i am only investing with brokers, save for one "opportunity" with a buddy. my bud is mostly financially secure since his wife is a registered dietitian, but he is barely above min wage. he spends at least a quarter of his spare time getting ready to start a hydroponics shop/service line but he needs funding.

fairly confident in him and antoher guy who does similar work with established clients, and i have no quarrels losing 2k (with a friend too, not losing friendship over 2k). it's also a possible joint venture, as i have a few years exp in env consulting / water quality mgmt in wastewater treatment plants.

plan is initially as an investment, and if it turns out he can float, ill probably work with him.
>>
Do you have any idea about how breweries operate? Can you judge if their production is efficent?
Do you know if their marketing is on point or how to improve it?

If no, hands off.
>>
I've learned never to invest in anything food or beverage related.
>>
>>1300755
generally good advice. money can be made safer elsewhere
>>
>>1300786
I've met with success easily, comfortably, and conservatively elsewhere already, but as I stated previously I am prepared to expand into some higher risk investments, specifically into private businesses ventures.

I do exstensive research before I make any investment. In this thread I just was looking for anecdotes from people who have done alt investments. No offense, but anyone telling me that food and beverage are almost exclusively bad investments without any type of real personal experience in the fields or understanding of my region (which you couldn't possibly have) will be mostly ignored since I do have a basic understanding of the risks associated with these fields.

I was really hoping for anecdotes, but they don't seem to be likely at this point.
>>
>>1300474

Buy a boat
Paperwork, hire qualified part time crew
Renovated, brand new kitchen
Network burned out talented chefs
Fishing, sushi, party market
Synergize
Sunset cruise, fresh produce, win win
Tropical islands here, ymmv
Have a colleague that does a week long trip through.islands and setting up camp on beaces for the night. Subcontract their security/medical flyboat, top professionals.
>>
>>1301651
nobody does alt investments here. Securities or home owners
>>
>>1300474
Private equity analyst reporting in.

You need to know who your partners are (previous experience and integrity), understand the general partnership agreement (legal), and you need to know the history of the firm. Have they made money? What are margins like? How many years in operation? Do you get equity or debt? How much and whats the business worth today to you (EBITDA multiple). Also with this business are there any cash sales? If you are as a silent partner you're gonna get fucked with cash businesses. You basically need to know what the fuck you're doing or your fucked and even then you're still buying a moon ticket and hoping the rocket ship doesn't blowup.
>>
>>1301651
All I know is that I lost about 10k on investing in a snack company. And a former co-worker lost hundreds of thousands on a couple of bad restaurant deals.

But, the stats on F&B failures alone speak for themselves.

Still, if you want, no one is stopping you. I honestly hope you defy the odds and make a mint. But, if you do, post it up on here so we all can see how it's done.
>>
>>1300474
>invest in a local brewery

Dude that market is fucked up. I'm not saying don't do it. I am saying if you don't have any knowledge of the local beer market don't fucking do it.

In most places it's a very tight market. Also, their are a lot of local markets that just can not support profitable breweries.
>>
>>1300474
To me, a brewery seems like a company with a limited potential upside and a high probability of failure.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.