[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal detectors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
Have you ever went treasure hunting, /biz/?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330198/James-Hyatt-unearths-2-5m-treasure-trove-FIRST-metal-detecting-expedition.html
>>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2860787/Polish-treasure-hunters-1930s-wine-hidden-Nazi-bunker.html
>>
you need special permision to have a metal detector so no.
>>
>>1123618
Where do you live? North korea?
>>
>>1123625
Illegal to treasure hunt with a detector in Ireland.
>>
>>1123625
somewhere where infrastructure cant be built because every cm of land has a 2000 old pissing jar
>>
>>1123645
wow
>>
>>1123645
Illegal in Poland too, but me and friends are still doing that, kek. Same as like 50k hunters in Poland, kek.

Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro Master Race + Nowak V2!
>>
>>1124175
You'll need an ad for that. And pray thst 4chan doesn't try to ban sites.
>>
>>1123645
>>1124289
Fucking lol

They sell metal detectors at walmart here.
>>
>>1124133
>>1124289
>>1125263
Oh no don't get me wrong, I can use them no problem. Have one in fact. Just not allowed to "treasure hunt". So say when I was doing it on the beach in Dublin, I was "looking for a bracelet my mother dropped".

As long as you have a reason to be detecting you're ok.

Still, the Guards (police) arent too sure about that, so it's wise to have the law printed and in your pocket
>>
>>1125263
>wal-mart metal detector
Those couldn't find a trash can underneath a rug

Garrett AT-Pro master-race here
>>
Doesn't the government have ultrasonic detectors which can analyze an entire mountain? Or that's just for cave layout detecting?
>>
>>1126174
They use explosives for that and the resolution is not that good for small stuff anyway
>>
>>1125772
Jesus fucking Christ. Don't people in the old world fantasize about escaping to the new world everyday?
>>
>>1125263
there is literally nothing worth finding in the US compared to the treasure buried in europe
>>
It's illegal in Europe because of all the lies buried by the Jews.
>>
>>1127028
Kek
>what are you doing there with that metal detector m8?
>looking for lies, sir
>>
File: Snapchat-2693462591682151724.jpg (685 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2693462591682151724.jpg
685 KB, 1080x1920
OP, I think I took a picture of you. What were you expecting to find in the front yard of an elementary school?
>>
I live in a Pre-Revolutionary War town that also was heavily involved in the Civil War. Though I've only found 1 Minie ball. best find is a 1920/30's silver ring in my front yard.
>>
>>1123645
literally why?
>>
>>1126974
Civil war nuggets and stuff no?
Settlers were already in the new world and losing shit on the ground by 1500, some of that is worth something to someone.
>>
>>1128547
Drunks would dig up everything looking for booze money.
>>
>>1126974
"Treasure," yes. No money to be made? No. I live in Myrtle Beach SC, and every night between 8pm and 10pm, I walk from the 2nd Ave pier and sweep the beach for a half-mile or so. There's about 10 of us local regulars who do it, and from our own conversation, we each bring in between 5-7k a year.

Most valuable single find I had was a Mike Carroll "Centurion" ring, size 9 in 18k yellow gold. Ring retails for about $3k, sold it on fleabay for $2200. That was a big year for me.

"Best" find I had was a 6 pack of Heinekens that someone had buried. Free beer and found about $10 in coins and a silver ring that night.
>>
Always wanted to get into this but a good metal detector is so damn expensive...
>>
>>1128893
>6 pack of Heinekens that someone had buried.
fucking kek
>>
Anyway know a good metal detector for about 200 bux?
>>
>>1129191
There aren't any unless you're talking about "on sale." You can get yourself a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter (or Sharpshooter II) for about $300, but as far as quality goes that's the only real entry level one that's worth it.
>>
Treasure hunting like this sounds fun
Not sure how that would work out living in a isle county on the coast of Norway tho?
>>
File: beach detector.jpg (64 KB, 469x404) Image search: [Google]
beach detector.jpg
64 KB, 469x404
Every tourists are bring their own treasure.
Year after year I beginning rich
>>
>>1130586
thanks anon, are garrets any good?
>>
File: BulgeRelics.jpg (46 KB, 650x522) Image search: [Google]
BulgeRelics.jpg
46 KB, 650x522
>>1123616
yeah I did when I was a teenager.

here is what I found:
1: abour 4/500 rounds of WW2 unused rifle ammunition in one spot.
2: the barrel of a rifle
3: WW2 vehicle engine parts (gears and stuff like that)
4: unexploded grenades and artillery shells
5: bunch of coins from the 1940s, included one silver one with a swastika on it.. though it´s worth not that much.. you can get them for 20/30 bucks on ebay.

friend of mine found a rusty german pistol in the forest
>>
>>1132159
Garretts are good if you get the high end ones. The Pro series are outstanding, the Ace are poor to fair. They don't really penetrate with any accuracy beyond 5-6" and they eat their batteries like candy.
>>
>>1132276
That's outstanding. I've always wanted to hit the fields around Nijmegen or the Groesbeek Heights for relics, even if I was required to give them to the government.
>>
>>1128893
are people THAT rich where you live, that they go around dropping precious metals when they walk?? I understand a random find but not something consistent.
>>
>>1132923
It's a beach with a high tourist draw. The Myrtle Beach State Park, which is just a single strip of the Grand Strand less than a mile wide gets (on average) 25,000 visitors a day from May 1st through September 30th. These aren't locals dropping shit, these are college kids on summer vacation, Canadians and Brits on holiday, Japanese and Arabs, all sorts of people coming to town to spend cash. People who live on the beach know to leave their jewelry home, tourists don't do that and instead take it off at the beach. Easy to lose a ring, or earrings, or a necklace if you don't put it in your bag right, and when it hits the sand it's damn near impossible to find. Keys are another item that gets lost all the damn time by tourists, and I'll be honest, if someone saw me sweeping and asked for help on keys or a bit of bling, I'll help them, no questions asked. It's only fair.
>>
>>1132923
>>1132977
And sorry, I should have been more clear, the area I usually sweep is right next to a group of $500 a night resort hotels. The park is good for coins and such, but I don't normally go down there. I mention it to show how many people are actually in the area at peak season.
>>
>>1126928
Literally never. Your place sounds shit with shootings and death squad cops and fatties and terror and endless advertisements.

>>1128547
Check out some of the treasures found in Irish fields. Beautiful gold things. Alas most of the ones that were found had a shovel put through them by a treasure hunter and their artistic worth is lost. Also, many have been sold on the black market.

Better to leave the treasure there than allow such desecration, according to the politicians of days gone by
>>
>>1132923
>>1132977
thanks for the clarifications; this actually sound like a cool thing to try... if I lived close to a tourist-frequented beach, that is.

Just for curiosity, is it a slow/hard process? Do you have to sweep inch by inch? Maybe you start getting an intuition of where to point your machine...
>>
File: th-2.jpg (13 KB, 300x291) Image search: [Google]
th-2.jpg
13 KB, 300x291
>>1135485

>be me
>be in North Texas
>be 16
>Dad wants to explore old farm house on land where we dove hunt for hidden treasure
>"In the old days, young anon, people hid things in the wall of their house"
>Get cheap ass metal detector, brothers and I join Dad in exploring old house.
>Searching a wall, detector goes off. Not a nail sound but a stronger signal....
>Using crow bar, we ply off old wall plank and find an old coffee jar!
>Coffee jar rattles with things inside it
>Open jar lid and look inside......
>Old prophylactic tins with "Merry Widow" stamped on them!
>Dad thinks it's funny as hell but three young treasure hunters pretty bummed out.
>>
>>1132276

Also found an artillery grenade like in your pic when treasure hunting with my father in Hungary many years ago. Showed to the police but it's probably still there because Hungary doesn't give a shit.
>>
>>1135485
It's a slow, deliberate process, but not hard. You sweep slowly, covering an area about 120 degrees from left to right, with the coil less than an inch from the ground. That's the key, a controlled area and as close to the surface as you can. I always laugh at the chuckleheads who waive their detectors 4 or 5 inches above the sand, then cry when they never find anything.

As for intuition, if you sweep the same area regularly you can kind of learn where to start, where is most profitable, and where is least. Also, if you have a good detector, you'll eventually be able to determine what item it is based on the tone you get. At this point I can tell coins from pop-tabs, aluminum from iron/steel, and usually can guess an approximate depth based on the strength of the return. It just takes practice.
>>
How about prospecting in the mountains?
>>
>>1136302
No idea about that, but if you go to goldrefiningfourm dot com, they've got a good number of guys who do prospecting. You might be able to get some pointers.
>>
/biz/ is getting faster now
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.