[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Entrepreneurship in Analytical Computing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1446.jpg (171 KB, 1416x756) Image search: [Google]
1446.jpg
171 KB, 1416x756
With the tremendous advances that industry giants (e.g., Google, Amazon, IBM, Facebook) have been making in service offerings and technologies based on data sciences, machine learning, etc., is there still room for viable innovation on the part of small businesses and startups, without depending on grants or venture capital?
>>
>>960106
Each of the companies you mention occupies a different niche, so I would recommend finding one that isn't occupied.

Nobody's going to catch up with Amazon AWS in the near future on the hardware side. IBM's Watson is pretty much smoke and mirrors, although they have a pretty solid analytics consulting business. Google/Adobe offerings are generally domain specific to marketing analytics.

Having worked in the industry for a while, I would say the biggest opportunity for disruption is in healthcare analytics, because that data is being wwwaayyy underutilized. You might have to jump through lots of hoops because of HIPAA requirements though.
>>
>>960554

Why do you say that about Watson? I work with hotshot from there.
>>
>>960555
I meant the computing system not the research lab.
>>
How would a simple entry level programmer get into the world of analytics? Do you need a statistics degree? Unfortunately I didn't really learn about this at all in school but it is really fascinating to me so I've tried to study statistics and Bayesian probability on my own.

What software / programming languages do you need to know? Where does one start?
>>
>>960617
good programming languages are R , sas, sql, python. study machine learning, that is basically the old word for "analytics/data science"

there are some good books on machine learning for beginners, one I can recommend is "machine learning in action" but just look around.
>>
>>960633
Cool thanks. I thought machine learning was just one small part of analytics/data science? But then again I don't know too much about it.

Also the terms data scientist / data analyst / analytics programmer all confuse me
>>
>>960633
>>960636
try andy field's discovering statistics using R / SPSS (newer version)
>>
>>960633
>>960636
Try Elements of Statistical Learning by Hasty et al.

And then watch Andrew Ng's lectures on youtube.

That will take you like 90% of the way there.

Also learn SQL/R/Python in that order.
>>
>>960764
awesome thanks.

I already know logic and how to make basic queries in SQL and some Java so at least I'm not starting from zero.
>>
>>960106
What about courses offered by Coursera or Udemy? Are they worth the time
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.