[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
general investment question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 45485648.png (260 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
45485648.png
260 KB, 1024x1024
I don't know shit about business, but I was just thinking about something.

Let's say person A has a business that is doing well, but needs capital to grow so he asks for an investment of 50k from person B for 20%. Now, since B knows that A is not going to keep the money, but invest it right back into the company, doesn't that imply that (regardless of company growth) he pretty much only gave A 40k because he now owns 20% of the company, including that extra 50k that the now have?
>>
bump?
>>
>>1272856

B doesn't give A any money directly. He gives A's business money in exchange for 20% of its ownership.

Because B has invested into the company he is entitled to 20% of future dividends/wealth generated by the business.

This is a sacrifice A must deal with if he wants to raise capital by selling equity in his business. Alternatively, if A doesn't like this proposal they can raise funds from alternative sources like a bank loan and pay interest instead.

>doesn't that imply that (regardless of company growth) he pretty much only gave A 40k because he now owns 20% of the company, including that extra 50k that the now have?

He gave the business 50k in exchange for a 20% stake in the business. A doesn't directly receive a penny here. He may only receive money when the business is liquidated and this depends on the total wealth of the business. E.g:

before B invests:
business=100k
100% owned by A
A gets 100k assuming everything is sold at value, etc..

after B invests:
business=100k+50k=150k
80% owned by A, 20% owned by B
A gets 150k*80%=120k and B gets 150k*20%=30k
>>
>>1272952
Yes, I understand what investing is and I also understand that A can't just get his liquidate his investment right away, but I just meant it in a pure theoretical value sense.

So you're basically saying I'm right about the investor getting more value than it looks like.
>>
>>1272956
(assuming obviously that the money is invested back into the company)
>>
>>1272956
B*
>>
>>1272956

Yes but it depends on what the company is valued at and how much B pays for the 20% ownership.

If B pays the fair value of the company there shouldn't be any "value gained". If B pays less than what the 20% is worth then he will gain wealth. If B pays more than what the 20% is worth he will lose wealth.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.