[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian here Have a $230,000 mortgage on a house worth about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 640x178) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 640x178
Australian here
Have a $230,000 mortgage on a house worth about $330,000. Pick related how far ahead I am on my mortgage and can redraw all that at any time if need be. Intrest rate on mortgage is 4.64%. I also have 450 oz of silver and some cold all up worth about $10,000 so I have about $80k to work with or $110k if u were to sell the house but the house brings in $1000 a month from room mates rent so I doubt I'll sell.

What are my options with the 69k? I'd rather hold the precious metals for diversitys sake but if there are better options out there I'd sell them happily.
>>
>>1263221
>Intrest rate on mortgage is 4.64%

70k to spare or not, you need to work on that shit first!

nice choice with silver, the catch up to gold is gonna be insane. if you still want to diversify there is precious stones that could interest you, more or less 4 to 8% a year usually. i would not recommand more than 20K per stone for obvious reasons.

Also, states obligations are a no-no in my game, if i play the obligatory game I go for military companies. obvsly the stock market is a huge "get the fuck outta here boooi"
>>
>>1263281
I'm locked in for another 18 months at that rate
>>
>>1264395
>Australian
Sell it in case the housing market crashes.

Buy a cheaper house @ a lower rate. Being locked into a 4.6% mortgage is pretty bad m8, especially when housing prices are so inflated in Australia.
>>
>>1263281
>70k to spare or not, you need to work on that shit first!
srsly this, you are only barely making enough to pay interest with those roommates, and you might find yourself in an uncomfortable situation should you ever not be able to have a roommate for whatever reason
>>
>>1264402
*with that roommate
I realized halfway through that you probably only have one roommate but forgot to change it
>>
Holy fuck... that interest rate!

Jesus christ man. I got locked in at 2.4% and I'm a bit frustrated.. coudln't imagine fucking 4.6%
>>
>>1263221
Robinhood.
>>
>>1263221

Based on your information, sell the house. Your renters are getting a better deal than you at $500 a month if what you say is true in terms of the homes current price. You should be getting $2k at least to support that price.

Sell the home and rent a small place in a great area. Put the cash you have into some land in the path of growth. Wait. Silver is good but that much becomes cumbersome.
>>
>>1263221
You're fucked in a deflationary environment. get things that go up in value as deflation happens.
>>
>>1264735
I only bought 3 years ago and it's in a suburb that is likely to boom over the next decade. About 20 minutes from Brisbane (capital city of Queensland)
In the three years Iv lived here I have seen shopping centres and restaurants pop up like crazy. I don't think selling would be a good idea. My housemates are a couple and share a room hence the 1000 a month. I'm working on getting someone into the third room eventually as well.

I guess what I'm really asking is what is the best thing to do with the 70k. I feel like buying an apartment in the city would be a good move but I'm open to other ideas. Call me stupid or crazy or whatever but I won't be selling The house for at least a few more years
>>
>>1264753
If you take the 70k do you then have to pay additional interest?

I would not consider borrowing that much at 5%, unless I had a sure bet. Which doesn't exist.

Why not focus on paying off your mortgage, that's what you're supposed to do.

The other poster is right, start charging market value and be a part of your neighbourhoods rise to the top - you need to start turning real profit to prepare for the bad times.

If you're keen on investing, the only real Aussie advice in this board is Galaxy resources (look for the thread). Or you could get a financial adviser?

PS am envious of any homeowner - doubly jealous of you in positive equity.

PPS What about borrowing to renovate and increase the house value?
>>
>>1264840
Call me ignorant but what bad times? The Aussie economy seems like it's doing fine and my repayments are 1400 a month and 770 of that is interest which is ever so slightly decreasing each month as I make addition payments where I can. So as it sits, my tenants are covering the interest and then some while I cover the rest instead of paying someone else rent. They also pay 2 thirds of the utilities bills (power, gas, water)

I had the house built 3 years ago so renovating isn't an option at the moment.
>>
>>1263221
It sounds boring, but you should take out the $69k, refinance the home loan for a better rate... then pay down the refinanced loan by 69k.

Then pay off the rest of the loan, because without skills you will be very unlikely to get returns to beat your interest rate. Paying off the loan fast however, saves you a shit load of money so it is the best option here. You are obviously earning enough to get it down quick so keep doing it.
>>
>>1264875
I'm on 80-90k a year so paying extra hasn't been an issue. The break fee for my mortgage is something like 10k so I'm better off just waiting the 18 months until I can refinance without healing contract
>>
>>1264898
Breaking contract* not healing
>>
>>1264873
Bad times like being between tenants, unexpectedly get the sack, etc

If your house is that new you should be one of the first raising rents to kickstand the gentrification
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.