[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ here, Care to recommend some /biz/ literature? Is pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 71FDiOr4jzL.jpg (250 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
71FDiOr4jzL.jpg
250 KB, 1200x1800
/lit/ here,

Care to recommend some /biz/ literature? Is pic related any good?
>>
>>1261178

Of you want a good piece of /biz/ literature in the same tradition as Hayek read "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt. It is the most straightforward and simple explanation of basic economic phenomena and debunking of common economic myths that exists. Some of the chapters are literally less than a page long. Keep in mind, it is a general primer that was meant for the common man. It has no math, and no footnotes or citations, just explanations in terms the man on the street can understand.

RTS was more a political and social critique than an economic book. It has some very good sections criticizing the politics of the UK in the day, and some good observations on how Fascism and Commnism emerge from democracies that feels a lot like Virginia School Public Choice economics, but it is best read to help understand what kinds of debates on these things were going on in the society at large at the time. Just following the footnotes was pretty interesting DESU. Hayek was mos def a great writer.
>>
>>1261235

>Of you want a good piece of /biz/ literature in the same tradition as Hayek read "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt

Thanks, I've heard of this before. Maybe I should have mentioned this in the topic but I have an undergraduate degree in economics. I don't feel like I learned very much (read: anything) about the views of specific economists though because it was mostly a bunch of math. Thus, I wanted to read some books on the topic.
>>
>>1261178

Nassim Taleb
>>
>>1261550
This
>>
File: thomas_sowell_on_intellectuals.jpg (85 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
thomas_sowell_on_intellectuals.jpg
85 KB, 800x522
>>1261235
>>1261259
/his/fag who dabbles with econ here.

You can download "Economics in One Lesson" from Mises.org, and also learn more about Hazlitt: https://mises.org/library/economics-one-lesson

They also make tons of Austrian school lit available for free as e-books on there (you can even get Road to Serfdom there too). Their iTunes page has audiobooks of the major works of Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, etc, as well. If you really want to dig into Mises' head, his book "Theory and History" is a great introduction to how he thought the world worked and you don't need to read his other works to get through it. If you want to jump into the ideas of anarcho-capitalism, Rothbard's "Anatomy of the State" is your guide.

Chicago school is the fellow champion of free market economics along with Austrianism, but the Chicago school has much more mainstream credibility. Whereas the "orthodoxy" of Austrian economics insists that economics cannot be a science in the sense that physics is a science because it can't run experiments (because you can't recreate the same economic conditions twice), more mainstream economics now tries to root out "endogeneity," or extraneous factors that could affect economic outcomes when studying economics. That's probably more of what you studied in school.

The biggest Chicago-school economist, Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose" 10-part TV series is available for free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3N2sNnGwa4 which includes special Q&As with famous detractors and free market advocates like Thomas Sowell. Speaking of Thomas Sowell, you can get blurbs about his books on YouTube as well (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdBn7MUM3Yo and his newest book's talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGYl17DiEwo) if you're interested.

I hope that helps point you towards some individual economists you might have missed in your undergrad career. I'm jealous, I wish I had taken econ classes when I was in college myself.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.