[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yet another shitty resume critique thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Resume Critique.png (60 KB, 738x816) Image search: [Google]
Resume Critique.png
60 KB, 738x816
I know it's shit, that's why I'm here, to make it ever so slightly less shit. you don't need to tell me my resume is shit.

I wanna know how to word things differently, add in buzzwords so that the automated system doesn't immediately trash my resume. I'm not looking for much, just a decent job where I can save enough for 5 years to open up my own business. I don't plan on getting married ever, let alone getting a partner, nor do I plan to move out of my parents anytime soon.

Should I bother adding "relevant classes" to my resume because I took a class that basically acted like my internship. Lasted a whole semester.
>>
Too busy imo.
>>
add some spaces and chance the blue to black in the headings, looks awful. Also the indents aren't consistent.

If you have any volunteer experience, could add them. Don't think you should bloat your CV with too many buzzwords, that shit goes to the actual application.

Also no joke, if you can make some of your hobbies sound interesting, go ahead and add them.
>>
Here’s my take-
You use need to add a little bit of white space in between your different positions. I agree with the guy who said it looks busy. Adding some space should make it easier to skim for human eyes. This, of course, doesn’t matter with regard to getting the resume past a scanner.
Some of your language is strong and demonstrative of results (transported resort guests, increased overall sales by 15%), but some of it is weak and unnecessary (Proceeded to, In charge of, etc.). I also don’t like the word “interacted” in resumes, but at least you didn’t say you “interfaced” with consumers and clients.
You’ve got some unnecessary capitalization in the Kmart section.
Your tenses don’t match under the Core Haven Entertainment Resorts field. Looks like you started off writing your duties in past tense, but then you just copy/pasted the job description to fill in the rest.
What does “successfully completed over 20 grand openings of stores” mean? What, exactly, did you do?
Some of your sentences end in punctuation, others do not.
Make your text a uniform black. You can give your lines distinction by varying their size and boldness, but odds are that your resume will be printed on a b/w office printer, so nobody’s going to give a damn about the blue headings.
Justify your text. Makes it look cleaner.
>>
Also, your SafeServe certifications. Did you mean ServSafe? Just double-check with the organization website to be sure you're writing the appropriate name.
>>
>>1260655
>ServSafe

yeah, I meant that one. I can't believe I messed that one up and I must have had it like that for months.

>>1260650
>What does “successfully completed over 20 grand openings of stores” mean? What, exactly, did you do?

basically what i mean by that is that customer satisfaction would be over 90%. I would also assist the store employees every once in a while, help out my own employees, speak with the main manager with things such as pre scheduling, covering their break times, etc.
>>
>>1260686
You need to be as specific as you can be with regard to what you accomplished. That last bit, about the pre-scheduling, covering employee break times, that's good. Assisting store employees sounds weak unless you can say what you did to assist them. Same thing applies to helping your own employees.

Also, there are a couple of other things I noticed. These are stylistic issues, but I would recommend still taking them seriously. Employers care about this shit.

In the dates for your education, 2015 should not be italicized.

In the dates for Belltower Books, there's a space after the hyphen, where there is no such space in any of the other dates.

Under Daymon Interactions, there's a space between the word "distributed" and the period that ends the sentence.

There's a double space between "New/Existing" and "electronics" in the Kmart section.

Either be consistent with your indentations, or don't indent. I would advise not indenting.
>>
>>1260708
>>1260624

thanks for the assistance.
>>
Is it wrong to lie or at least embellish on a resume? I have a decent amount of experience doing a myriad of things but not in an official capacity or where I actually tracked the time so it's not like I had a start or stop date, or oftentimes a reference besides people I know.

If I were to just embellish it and make it look official, would it be bad? I can plan out who "employed" me and get references and fluff it up.

Would I not most likely be trained in the way the company wants anyway?
>>
>>1261216
>training
>2016
Bwahahahahaha
>>
>>1261262

At least told what to do then.
>>
Speaking of resumes, I have to hire a new employee in two weeks and got a bunch of resumes. Literally never done something like this, what should I look out for when judging them?
>>
File: resume.png (83 KB, 1400x870) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
83 KB, 1400x870
My goal: To find a job in corporation somehow related to IT and then make courses and learn as much as possible to be better and better.

Current status: I am not even invited for interviews...
>>
got an incredibly stupid question that's bugging me

when sending your CV to employers, do you password protect your pdf to prevent editing?
>>
>>1261458
Try applying for internships first.
>>
>>1261551

Why would they want to edit your CV?

"Hey, this guy doesn't have the qualifications we need."

"Eh, fuck it. Add some Python and Ruby on Rails certifications and we'll nail him for falsifying his credentials after he interviews."

"My God, that's brilliant! We'll waste hours, if not days of company time and resources on this project. Your stock's going up around here, Johnson!"
>>
>>1261458
this >>1261584 if you're willing to work for free

and if you want to work in IT, you need more than Excel skills, that's for accounting and shit. Without knowing better what you actually want to do, maybe learn some web development or basics of some programming language.
>>
>>1261606
dunno, just copy paste the format or something
>>
>>1261458

>picture in resume

dropped
>>
>>1261584
I would gladly accept that, because my current job is like going backwards for me. No internships for me so far sadly.

>>1261608
I am aware of that, but here is my problem. I have no idea what to invest my money and time with because I have no idea what would be good for my future employer (corporation).

Should I pay for some kind of courses with certificates for example databases (sql) or literally any programming language? Is it worth it?
>>
>>1261626
>being this retarded

Learn into slav coutries first. We doi not have niggers and sandniggers and fucking all that "political correct". And btw. I could be a municipal police guard here if my appearance was somehow "not normal". So yeah, enjoy being cucked by political correction.
>>
>>1261628
if you have a surplus of money to throw at certificates, sure. Java and C-languages are widely used, focus on those and not some obscure flavour of the month or COBOL.
For webdev it's html and some popular css and js frameworks, and basic knowledge of databases. Ruby is pretty big as well.
You don't have to have certificates though, just learn a language and create something that shows what you can do.
The hard thing with IT is that, unless you really know exactly what and who you want to work with, every company has a different set of languages and tools they use, so it's better to focus on getting skills that are transferable and get a grasp of the big picture rather than just obsessively master one skill.
>>
>>1261665
I like the basis of that advice. I don't believe in singular specialization rather than cross-specialization. One trick ponies do not have a place among the elite in this age of information IMHO
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.