[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup niggers. I'm switching to Linux from Windows 7 permanently.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: 1463834132609-1897529155.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1463834132609-1897529155.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Sup niggers. I'm switching to Linux from Windows 7 permanently. Need help on choosing a distro though. I just installed Arch Linux but it's way too hard tbh, was expecting a GUI instead of a command line. What's the second best option if you want a GUI and are just getting started?
>>
─────────────────────────▄▀▄
─────────────────────────█─█
─────────────────────────█─▀█▀█▄
─────────────────────────█──█──█
─────────────────────────█▄▄█──▀█
────────────────────────▄█──▄█▄─▀█
────────────────────────█─▄█─█─█─█
────────────────────────█──█─█─█─█
────────────────────────█──█─█─█─█
────▄█▄──▄█▄────────────█──▀▀█─█─█
──▄█████████────────────▀█───█─█▄▀
─▄███████████────────────██──▀▀─█
>>
Ubuntu?
>>
Ubuntu
>>
▄█████████████────────────█─────█
██████████───▀▀█▄─────────▀█────█
████████───▀▀▀──█──────────█────█
██████───────██─▀█─────────█────█
████──▄──────────▀█────────█────█ look son …
███──█──────▀▀█───▀█───────█────█ this is a faggot.
███─▀─██──────█────▀█──────█────█
███─────────────────▀█─────█────█
███──────────────────█─────█────█
███─────────────▄▀───█─────█────█
████─────────▄▄██────█▄────█────█
████────────██████────█────█────█
█████────█──███████▀──█───▄█▄▄▄▄█
██▀▀██────▀─██▄──▄█───█───█─────█
██▄──────────██████───█───█─────█
─██▄────────────▄▄────█───█─────█
─███████─────────────▄█───█─────█
──██████─────────────█───█▀─────█
──▄███████▄─────────▄█──█▀──────█
>>
─▄█─────▄▀▀▀█───────█───█───────█
▄█────────█──█────▄███▀▀▀▀──────█
█──▄▀▀────────█──▄▀──█──────────█
█────█─────────█─────█──────────█
█────────▀█────█─────█─────────██
█───────────────█──▄█▀─────────█
█──────────██───█▀▀▀───────────█
█───────────────█──────────────█
█▄─────────────██──────────────█
─█▄────────────█───────────────█
──██▄────────▄███▀▀▀▀▀▄────────█
─█▀─▀█▄────────▀█──────▀▄──────█
─█────▀▀▀▀▄─────█────────▀─────█
─█─────────▀▄──▀───────────────
>>
>>685450776
Can't even move my cursor atm and I don't want to hard reset otherwise I'll lose my internet connection again
>>
Debian
>>
Is there such a thing as a linux distro that is easy to use?

I used opensuse a couple of years ago, and I basically had to spend 10 years hard coding and studying c+ before I could install skype.
>>
Gentoo or Arch
>>
bahahaha good luck
>>
Mint is supposed to be very similar to Windows so would be a good start to familiarise yourself with the new environment
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>685450776
why would you want to do this? get a Mac
>>
So that's 2 for Ubuntu and one for Debian. I'll just install Ubuntu I guess?
>>
>>685451217
Only if you want to be a faggot your whole life
>>
>>685451212
>mac

Why don't you tell him to suck a million cocks while he's at it?
>>
>>685451080
I can code, mainly C# though.. But obvious bullshit is obvious

>>685451191
Guess I have to start with this then..
>>
>>685450776

So you've never user a Linux distro before? What made you want to switch from Windows?
You should always start with dualbooting.
>>
Official 4chan standard answer: Install Gentoo.
>>
File: 1463834696558-1299427137.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1463834696558-1299427137.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>685451291
I had Ubuntu when I was really young but I want to get back in the Linux scene. At this shit now and still no mouse wtf. Installing this crap took me an hour srsly I'm a total Linux noob
>>
>>685450776
arch is pretty nice i'm using it myself you just need to get through the beginners tutorial and then your are golden
>>
File: zelda.jpg (115 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
115 KB, 1366x768
>>685451217

I was in a similar boat to you Anon. My father was a microsoft certified network engineer, so I grew up using computers. By the time I was 13, I had a lot of experience networking, operating a LAN, and doing some nifty stuff with Windows. However, by the time Longhorn (VISTA), 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 came out, I was so fed up with Windows that I made the switch.

If your computer has enough RAM, just install Mint or Ubuntu. They were designed for windows users to transition into Linux easily. Personally I like Mint better.

>>685451212

Because Macs are the most overrated pieces of garbage ever. They randomly shut down for no reason, they're ungodly expensive, they don't last, they lack compatibility with a lot of modern software, and operating one takes a lot of time to learn if you've been using other OSs for a while because Mac hides stuff in weird places.

For example, if you want to run bleachbit in linux, you just type "bleachbit" into the terminal. It's that easy - no navigation required. If you want to encrypt your flashdrive, it takes like two commands and no added software for what is one of the most secure encryptions out there. Good luck doing that with Mac.
>>
>>685450776
Ubuntu dies everything for you.
You don't need to be used to using Linux to User Ubuntu, plus you have many people to ask of you have any problems because there is a huge Community around Ubuntu.
Though Ubuntu has some wird shit installed from beginning.

Ubuntu evolved from Debian which is more open source and does not have anything weird Installer from Start.
It is a bit harder to use, but very easy compared to Arch Linux or Gentoo.
Plus, Debian also has a huge Community and so much Software to choose from.

Debian is more stable than Ubuntu and it does not Update as often as Ubuntu does.

TL;DR
Ubuntu for bleeding Edge Software, Debian for stability
>>
>>685451549
Iv had that problem before. I ended up having to reinstall. You using wireless keyboard and mouse?
>>
>>685451603
Yeah I just installed Gnome and now I've got no mouse.. This is the OS for me I'm sure, I also got vanilla Android on my S6 Edge but Arch is way hard for me, got no experience with it
>>
>>685451549
have you considered unplugging and plugging in again. also check dmesg messages. i'm having this shit with a keyboard, it's probably the fucked up usb hardware.
>>
File: 1459741401083.gif (752 KB, 200x213) Image search: [Google]
1459741401083.gif
752 KB, 200x213
>>685450776
Debian
>>
>>685450776
i use mint
>>
File: 1463835066751-307031805.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1463835066751-307031805.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Oh, and I have to wait 90 sex before getting in
>>
>>685452259
You didn't compile/configure the kernel yourself did you?
>>
>>685452424
No I've followed the Arch.Wiki literally, again, no idea what I'm doing I'm a Siebel C# programmer
>>
Terminal wont open so I can't dhcpcd eth0 which I need to do every fucking time on this shit
>>
>>685452259
Try Antergos. It's arch but with a graphical installer. can be buggy from time to time but once it is installed it's arch. just remove the antergos repository from /etc/pacman.conf
>>
>>685452818
what the fuck did you even do. just install ubuntu, mint or fedora. fedora is a bit buggy lately though.
>>
>>685452818
I believe you could press ctrl+alt+f1 if I am not mistaken to switch to a Desktop without GUI.
Log in there and do whatever you need to and then go back to desktop with ctrl+alt+f7 (I guess 7 it is).
>>
bavaria? brabander.
>>
>>685452940
This sounds great but I might have to watch/read a tutorial on fucking Linux for total noobs because the reason I'm switching is to have total control like I try to have on Windows 7 but I don't even understand that atm. Arch is way out of my league, I'm going for Debian for a while and switch when I'm comfortable at that level
>>
Mint debian edition.

You know who else runs Linux mint debian edition? MY MOM.
>>
>>685453143
Limburger hehe. Niet te duur en is te zuipen
>>
>>685453177
sounds like a good idea. just dont go with a plain debian. the software sources are often outdated. try mint or something like that. I highly recommand arch thou. you just have to get to know your system
>>
>>685453353
Yeah but that's a bit steep for me. But I'll get back to that
>>
File: 14638367617771013112896.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
14638367617771013112896.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Some more beer and food should solve it
>>
>>685453287
Tilburger hier, en geheel met je eens. ;)
Succes met je computer, ik heb geen idee waarover het gaat.

Yoooo!
>>
Fedora.
>>
>Linux

And why not FreeBSD?

It is superior.
>>
>>685450776
I recommend mint, debian or red hat for start. Theres so much you cant do on linux tho your really should keep windows and just dual boot.
>>
If you like Arch, Try manjaro. If you prefer Ubuntu/debian based, you can choose mint,zorin,deepin,ubuntu
... Just go to distrowatch, there is a Distro top 100
>>
>>685451760
> They randomly shut down for no reason,
Never had that happen to me
>they're ungodly expensive,
There is a premium, but you get what you pay for
>they don't last,
I know people with 2008 era Macbooks that are still doing fine.
>they lack compatibility with a lot of modern software,
What on earth are you talking about?
>and operating one takes a lot of time to learn if you've been using other OSs for a while because Mac hides stuff in weird places.
OSX is more user friendly than any other OS. Of course there's a bit of a learning curve, as with everything.
>For example, if you want to run bleachbit in linux, you just type "bleachbit" into the terminal. It's that easy - no navigation required.
You can do that on OSX.
>If you want to encrypt your flashdrive, it takes like two commands and no added software for what is one of the most secure encryptions out there. Good luck doing that with Mac.
Homebrew - read up on it fag.

There is legitimate stuff to criticize the Mac platform for (security, closed ecosystem) but that shit here is just FUD.
>>
Linux expert here (installing and maintaining workstation machines with *nix for 9+ years), ask me anything.
>>
Test the distros in a Virtual Machine before you install them.
>>
>>685450776
THE RIGHT ANSWER IS LINUX MINT
UBUNTU MATE EDITION IS GOOD TOO
EVERY OTHER DISTRO IS NOT MEANT FOR NOOBS

IF MINT, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THOSE CHECKSUMS

HAVE A NICE DAY OP
>>
>>685450776
>if you want a GUI and are just getting started?
OpenSuSE (w/ KDE) unless you're a gaymer
>>
>>685450776
Manjaro and archbang are arch based and rule dem all. Mageia is pretty nice too. distrowatch.com
>>
>>685456124
Ansible, cfengine, chef, or puppet?
>>
>>685456582
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ANON

ARCH BASED DISTROS SUCK
>>
>>685450776
Linux Mint or a flavor of Ubuntu without Unity.

If your PC is older, Puppy.

If you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty, CentOS.
>>
>>685456595
We're using CFengine but I'm hearing good things about puppet.
>>
THE ONLY DISTROS THAT MATTER ARE MINT AND UBUNTU MATE

THE OTHERS INCLUDING FEDORA DONT EVEN PLAY A FUCKING MP3 OUT OF THE BOX AND REQUIRE MORE FIDDLING AFTER INSTALL
>>
Using ubuntu with Xfce.. can't get any better imo. Clementine for audio, vlc for video, all good.
>>
>>685456995
>>685456843
Yes, if you don't want to know how shit works, don't use non-noob distros. You're gonna be fucked if you don't at least understand your package manager and network configuration.
>>
File: IMG-20160512-WA0006.jpg (73 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160512-WA0006.jpg
73 KB, 720x1280
OP here, after careful consideration I've decided to go with Mint. Thanksnfor your help anons <3
Here's a pic of my GF's pussy I took a week ish ago. We were fucking outside by a lake
>>
>>685456843
>>685457451
Whoops wrong link
>>
>>685451080
kek
>>
>>685457451
Which I don't. Need to read up on that
>>
>>685450776

Ubuntu with gnome3. Fuck unity and kde
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.