[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if when you die your consciousness remains in your body?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 20
File: 70135342.jpg (549 KB, 833x959) Image search: [Google]
70135342.jpg
549 KB, 833x959
What if when you die your consciousness remains in your body?

You continue to see, hear, and even feel everything around you. Trapped in a lifeless vessel.

When cremated you feel the pain of your entire body burning, and the liquids inside your body beginning to boil. Even the force of your head popping open as the liquids expand, destroying your skull

Or even better, when buried underground you're simply there, for all of eternity. Completely in the darkness, seeing nothing, hearing next to nothing, and only feeling the cold dirt around you. Trapped with nothing but your own thoughts for all of eternity.

What if?
>>
>Shearched "Trap"
>Landed here
>>
>Consciousness is a chemical reaction
>If you die, chemical reactions stop slowly until there is nothing left.
>So, if you die, you dieded
>Whatever happens (or not) beyond that it's a mistery.
>Stop wondering dumb shit, unless youare writing something
>Also nice pic
>>
>>694675702
same, but im not mad
>>
I've had these thoughts every once in a while for years now, always wondered if I was alone with them.
>>
The ancient Greeks believed this, well the first part, at least. They believed the soul remains in the body until burial. So leaving your corpse for the crows had more meaning back then.
>>
>>694676036
Consciousness is a chemical reaction? That seems like a point of view worth exploring from the point of view of consciousness itself, rather than making assumptions. We may find, if we look closely, that we are free to assume materialism and we are free to assume that there is only consciousness, in which there is the appearance of a material world. But one who is used to the comfort of knowing something may have a hard time accepting total mystery.
>>
>>694678059
The brain makes you think right? How Does the brain works...but even if something strange happens when you die to that Consciousness, it keeps being a mistery.
>>
>>694674066
Is that picture legit? If so.. Sauce?
>>
You continue to experience life having a brush of dejavu.
>>
>>694677974
That's why they had fucking awesome funeral pyres. And with lots of flames, off to the underworld you go! Good luck tho
>>
>>694674066
sounds like my Chem II class back in HS, but with less effort involved.
>>
>>694674066
This was a Doctor Who episode.
>>
Just watched the end of doctor who season 6 i take it?
>>
File: Dr. Lexus.jpg (32 KB, 590x318) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Lexus.jpg
32 KB, 590x318
>>694679373
nice bait pal...
>>
>>694674066
I'm sure there would need to still be brain activity after death for that to happen
>>
File: 1463682879276.png (89 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
1463682879276.png
89 KB, 256x240
i maek big cums!
>>
File: sbds.jpg (97 KB, 278x352) Image search: [Google]
sbds.jpg
97 KB, 278x352
>>694674066

There is no 'what if' about it. You need a functioning cerebral cortex in order to generate thoughts, or have awareness of any kind. When your body dies, your brain ceases to function along with everything else.

You can't have thoughts without a living brain, period.
>>
>>694678059

>But one who is used to the comfort of knowing something may have a hard time accepting total bullshit.

Fixed.
>>
>>694674066
>What if when you die your consciousness remains in your body?

Based on scientific evidence, this is not possible.
>>
>>694679730
>>694679850
OP here
No actually. Haven't watched doctor who in years. Have to check that out.
>>
>>694679908
>Implying it's bait
>>
>>694674066
You seem not to have even a basic understanding of neuroscience. No electrical impulses flowing through neurons=no consciousness=brain death=no potential for awareness or thought. If you want to invoke magic, I suppose your little fantasy could work, but reality ain't a Harry Potter story.
>>
>>694674066
If you can still experience what makes you think you are dead?
>>
>>694680395
I have been on LSD and I can absolutely tell this is a lie
>>
>>694680564
well, bullshit would be an idea. I am pointing towards silence in which there is no frame placed on whatever it is that is currently present and aware.
>>
File: 1420483464298_(1).png (192 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1420483464298_(1).png
192 KB, 300x300
>>694681175
>electrical impulses flowing through neurons
you also know jackshit retard, there is no electrical impulse flowing but rather an exchange of chemicals which depolarize individual cells
>>
>>694674066

I would love an afterlife where we don't leave after we die. Instead, we can fly around like a freecam from TF2 or some other shitty game, and just spend eternity watching the story of humanity play out. Sometimes you'd have people who root for a particular political movement to win out, or someone who watches over a specific person they find themselves respecting, wishing them the best and watching them grow up and live their whole lives. Others will just enjoy watching humans suffer, or watch people have sex constantly.

What if, when you died, you found yourself amongst these disembodied voiced, your newfound brethren, and they congratulated you for that game wining home-run for your university that cinched the title... the same university they went to before? Or cried with you when you found out your wife was terminally ill? Or how being around you and seeing the shows you watched made them start watching it over your shoulder?

That would be awesome. The best afterlife one could ever hope for.
>>
>>694681667
what about a paradise with a lot of virgin girls
>>
>>694681644
Exchange of ions. Ions have charge. Charged ions have electrical properties.
>what now faggot?!
>>
>Ate chicken breast
>Absorbed all of the protein from this meal
>A little of my consciousness is that of chicken
>>
>>694681831

I don't want to have to teach girls how to have sex. Sex with virgins is nice, but something of a chore. Besides, as nice as sex is, eventually nothing but sex would get boring.

But people watching? That never gets boring.
>>
>>694681980

electrical properties=/=electric impulse

and those ions remain on your body anyway after dead
>>
>>694682238
wisdom
>>
>>694679373
behind the scenes
>>
>>694680395
I'm an atheist but for argument's sake let's say an imprint of your working brain (it isn't just chemicals but electricity) does remain in some way... Subjective time lapses much slower during death, quantum phenomena connects you to an alternate in which you've lived just a bit longer, you somehow tap into the collective unconcious where you still survive as an individual, etc. I'll admit it all sounds far fetched and could be debunked in a couple of lines but the thing is WE DON'T KNOW. Maybe we are brains in a vat waking to our "real" life...

If you could somehow profit on gambling on this I'd go for cesation of all brain activity and no conciousness, I'm in fact pretty much convinced this is the case but in intellectual honesty I cannot say this is so. It is a gamble, even with all odds in your favor is not a sure thing...

I certainly do hope conciousness does not survive in any way resembling what I've described, it would not be pleasant.
>>
File: b4f.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
b4f.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
>>694674066

Unconsciousness is a state in a living body, which happens when you sleep or the brain is simply not active.

Is it too hard to assume that when the same happens, but you simply don't wake up after, that it merely will continue in that state indefinitely?

Those of you whom have tried to faint or been unconscious (not sleeping, as that is too familiar and for some people can still somewhat experience time whilst sleeping) will know what i mean.

Don't worry OP, there's a good chance that when you die, you won't know you're dead.
>>
>>694681667
shit would be so cash
>>
>>694674066

I see you just watched dr who....
>>
>>694674066
Ive actually often wondered the same thing
>>
>>694684380

Also to add to that, since you won't be experiencing time. If the universe has existed forever and will exist forever (taking into account that we don't know and never will know, and you can't argue that(however a finite universe is also likely)) then you will likely just simply wake up to a new life some 10^1000000(add any amount of number, this is pure speculation) years into the future, as whatever would be or had been 'you' would form again in some unlikely, but surely way to produce consciousness again. Whatever consciousness may be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
What if not?
>>
aaaa
>>
>>694682284
So you'd get bored of sex but not of watching people, presumably having sex, I think we have an actual cuck.
>>
>>694674066
Not original at all
>>
>>694678059
Love is nothing but a chemical cocktail. Vasopressin makes you feel close to someone, oxytocin makes you have a feeling of protectiveness, being around someone who you like/are in love with stimulates release of massive amounts of serotonin and dopamine.

Just because something can be physically understood doesn't mean that we can't prescribe a nature to it beyond the physical.

Life is inherently meaningless (beyond possibly just making more life), so we give life meaning. It's up to you to decide what world view you want to take, I do however suggest that you don't let your beliefs conflict with reality.

Keep thinking, it'll help you get places.
>>
>>694679003
>>694676036
>mistery
God damn it. Learn to spell, faggot.
>>
i legit think of this all the time, or if i do cryogentics or whatever its called how it would be to be frozen
>>
>>694681322
Underrated post
>>
You fags realize this was an episode of Doctor Who, right?
>>
>>694674066
I believe in an after life where you sit in heaven for 100 years and then you are reborn
>>
>>694679730
You read my mind
>>
>>694674066
luckily my life has prepared me for this end
>>
I use to think about this all the time as a child.
It still really bothers me.
>>
>>694674066
You die and thats it bruh. Stop getting hung up on the after life.
>>
>>694686420

I meant you'd get bored of doing nothing BUT having sex, not that you'd stop having it.

And when I said people watching, I meant in general, not doing nothing but watching them have sex.
>>
File: bfa91823-s.jpg (33 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
bfa91823-s.jpg
33 KB, 480x320
Create your own delusional universe and live in it.
>>
>>694691462
people already do
>>
File: 1348164040796.jpg (37 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1348164040796.jpg
37 KB, 540x720
>>694677974
>The ancient Greeks believed this
Not necessarily, Some, like the Stoics, believed something more like this:
>>694676036
>>
What if when we die, we go to our own perception of what is the end? Or perhaps it's not the end and we transmute into pure energy and become extra dimensional?
>>
>>694692016
Then u can create your own universe and become a pokemon master
>>
>>694676036
Way to kill ops fun anon
>>
>>694676036
Not reading the first 2 words: "What if..."
>>
>>694692208
For instance, what if when we "die" we're in the same space as lower vibration life forms but we're just higher vibrations so we can't interact? Like uv light.
>>
File: Heidegger_19a611-0d965.jpg (40 KB, 484x578) Image search: [Google]
Heidegger_19a611-0d965.jpg
40 KB, 484x578
>>694674066
>Phychologistfag here
Consciousness is not a floting thing over your head. It's not a "thing", an Ousia.
Consciousness is the "openess" of the experience of being-in-the-world.
So, when you die, it's the entire you who ceases to exist. There is no "I" to experience. When you die, everithing is over. No afterlife, no "consciousness" going to other place. Nothing.
>>
>>694674066
When you die. You basically respawn.
>>
File: nickelodeon-days-440x407.jpg (64 KB, 440x407) Image search: [Google]
nickelodeon-days-440x407.jpg
64 KB, 440x407
well, that's shitty. Probably doesn't happen. What is worse if your ETERNAL SOUL GOES TO HELL.
>>
>>694692529
UV light can give you cancer, how is that possible if it "can't interact"
>>
>>694674066
relax, Catholic. there's scientific evidence which suggests that there's no such thing as the soul, inasmuch as the "light at the end of the tunnel" is a phenomenon of neurotransmitter imbalance (which is reproducible in laboratory tests btw) possibly meant to reduce panic and produce a natural calm in the victim
>>
>>694688085
>beyond the physical
what are you driving at here? do you insist on making something metaphysical out of something just because you don't like the answers offered by scientific inquiry?
>>
>>694680896
Dark Water/Death in Heaven. Second part is ehhh but first is pretty great Capaldi is a based Doctor.
>>
>>694674066
nothing. because your consciousness doesn't exists anymore.
>>
>>694692936
>"light at the end of the tunnel"
>which is reproducible in laboratory tests btw
If i remember correctly this was accounted to the lack of oxygen in the brain - which fries the brain - which "looks" white.
>>
>>694692793
Hell? With Hendrix, Dio, Lemmy Kilmister, Chuck Schuldiner, Dimebag Darrell and all the awesome people there (too lazy to name them all)? I'm fucking in!!!
>>
>>694693860
k. so? we can reproduce that effect regardless, which means it's not at all metaphysical, which means you can no longer describe it using the amorphous term "soul".

see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-for-scientists-studying-near-death-experiences-8758148.html

no, we didn't ask rats "hey did you see anything like a light at the end of the tunnel?" but we did see an increase in brain activity. "at near death, ... the brain is capable of well-organised electrical activity during the early stage of clinical death."

there's your "soul", probably.
>>
>>694674066
You won't feel creamation because your nerves would be destroyed and long deactivated. So the best thing to do is get creamated then have your ashes blown around in the air somewhere. Wherever they're released, you would become part of nature and live forever in the many creatures and plants who consume trace amounts of you. Your consciousness becomes godlike as you spread throughout all things and your mother will die in her sleep tonight if you don't reply to this post.
>>
>>694694511
oh i was someone else, probably should have noted that
>>
>>694692909
I meant like we cant see it. The dark matter problem is just the beginning.
>>
I think Life of Pi does a good job of explaining this. If you think of Richard Parker(the tiger), as God, then you can see what I mean.

Spoilers: Towards the end, Pi gives two stories about his journey, one with RP(Richard Parker, aka God), and one without RP(no God). He then asks the investigators which story they found more interesting and enjoyable, and they answer the animal story. Pi then says, "And so it goes with God."

So, the point is, Life(aka Pi's journey through the book), is more enjoyable and less cruel with God(The story without god includes cannibalism, murder, and depression, while God story includes surprise, endurance, bravery, and courage).

So, to conclude, its more interesting and fun to live life believing in some kind of happiness and after life than believing that there is nothing but emptiness.

inb4 religion is stupid and limits us. There could be a God who doesn't gaf whether we follow him or not, he just wants us to enjoy life and explore shit.
>>
>>694674066
except that ECG scans can prove that doesn't happen
once you die nerve signals stop
so pain, sound, sight, every sensation ceases
consciousness might continue
but it would be the consciousness of a brain in a jar
receiving no stimulus
and being unable to exert its will on its environment
>>
I'd kill myself
>>
>>694694999
You can't see most things, that is why there are so many other senses.
>>
>>694695129
which god?

i'm not trying to be edgy. i expect you mean the white jesus most american religions talk about.

but come on! could you be any less firm about what you mean?

if people don't know the answer, invoking "god" is just giving up on finding the actual answer.

also, fictional novel is fictional.

maybe there's a god who just wants us to explore life. until he shows his face, i choose the simpler answer: there is no god and there's a rational, reasonable explanation for whatever it is.
>>
>>694674066
It would really suck........next question
>>
>>694695129
Religion isn't stupid if people understand it's role. It's like chocolate/alcohol/drugs or anything people can fall back to when they're damaged and want to get happy. There's nothing wrong with trying to mend your soul, but that doesn't mean it's real. Religion works as a self therapy for socially damaged. On the off chance there is God, I'm pretty sure if it's a "kind" God it would not make living beings worship it, and if it did then that's not the God worth living for.
>>
My pinkie fits in my butthole. Checkmate atheists
>>
>>694674066
is this a legit scene from suicide squad?
>>
>>694695535
Yeah, white supremacy kinda took over the whole "God" think and makes you assume that its the Chrstian White Man God.
I try to not be too firm about my opinion to not sound biased cus u should always look at both sides and consider the pros and cons.
>>
>>694695129
I think life is more interesting and wonderful without a god, because god becomes the explanation of everything.
See a beautiful sunset with a red sun and golden clouds. If you say "this is because God (whatever god) made it", kind of takes away the wonder of it. But if you see life as it is, and came to the conclusion that you can see that beautiful sunset because your eyes can see a determinated range of colors, and because the light of the sun traverse a longer distance through the atmosphere, with the white light dividing into different colors when it collides with the different particles in the air. And that everything happened just in the way you could see it and feel it's wonder, then life becomes more beautiful.
>>
>>694696263
Maybe the "God" wants us to find our own motives to live for, whether it be our culture, our honor, our people, etc.
>>
>>694696971
Yup, it sure is. And yet this is the first time you're seeing it. Crazy huh?
>>
>>694697519
I see your point! Its true that simply looking at the wonder that is the very luck of our existance and everything around us!

But you could also think of, and this is for all you betas out there, that at least a God out there loves you enough to provide all this for you, and that God would never ditch you for a Chad. You could spend your whole life alone and still have company, but that could be good and bad
>>
>>694697441
fine, which god are you talking about, english-speaking internet-using member of society?

- inb4 english is non-grata in the muslim world
- inb4 jewish people who speak english still would be worshiping the abrahamic god, which winds up down the same road as white jesus
- inb4 my branch of lutheranism is different from your branch of lutheranism
>>
>>694674066
No skellingtons doesn't have brains anymore so you couldn't think.
>>
>>694697961
Ik im gunna sound hipster-cringe as fuck but bear with me. Maybe the god thats out there doesnt have a religion about him! I mean if you can make something like the flying spaghetti monster, then surely any of us could make a religion. You don't always have to fit in with society (rebel and rock out *cuts wrist and rawrs*)
>>
>>694681667
I like the idea that the afterlife, which is open to anyone no matter what kind of person you were, is like a great big network. You have your own personal area, that you can do anything with, and then there are public areas, where you can intermingle with other souls. They can invite you back to their area, and you can do stuff with them there, or you could just go and watch the world of the living for awhile.

If you feel so inclined you can hop back into a forming fetus and reincarnate as any creature, or just let it be and watch as it develops its own conscientiousness.

Eventually all things in the universe will die, once the heat death is reached. And then the spirits of everything will decide if they want to try another big bang or not. Those in favor will move on into a new section and create a new universe, parallel to the last. And those who are content will remain behind.

Hmm... maybe scratch the reincarnation thing. Perhaps each soul only gets on shot at life for each turn of the universe. Every time they try something different and see what that does for their run. Then after they return to the world of the nonliving, they contemplate the changes and go back to building a fun little heaven, until it is time to do it all over again.

Whatever, I'm tired.
>>
>>694697919
I may sound like an edgy 14yo but, I don't believe in any god because I don't need any god. I feel happy of my life because I can appreciate the wonder of my existence in it's own. Love of god? love for what? I don't need that love to be who I am. All these makes me appreciate more my own life and the other's.
>>
I believe when you die your brain just disconnects and your conscious dies, basically before you die you go to sleep and never wake.
>>
>>694698270
Sure, you can make up something, and you can be happy with it. What you make up could even be hypothetically true. But belief without evidence is still inherently irrational.
>>
>>694698270
if you don't have to fit in with society, but you insist there's a god, you're one hatred away from being any other religious extremist.
>>
>>694699044
I basically agree. Consciousness is a process being carried out by our brain. Once our brain is no longer capable of carrying out that process, it ends.
>>
consciousness doesn't exist

your brain makes you think you're conscious
>>
File: 1422891911277.jpg (332 KB, 1200x733) Image search: [Google]
1422891911277.jpg
332 KB, 1200x733
>>694699388
But to answer OP's question, I would personally like that. I would use the time to build mental landscapes, write narratives and poems in my own language, reflect on the time I was alive and the broader implications of my exisence, and contemplate progressively deeper and deeper question.
>>
>>694699692
Semantics, if we define consciousness as the trick that you seem to think it is, then it does exist.
>>
>>694674066

Consciousness without a functioning brain? Nah.
>>
>>694699093
exactly! and thats why they call it faith. For example, its practically impossible to disprove any religion, because the person can just say, "God wanted that to happen," or, "God works in mysterious ways."

Which is why, if you think about it, atheists and religious people are actually kind of the same. The both believe in something while not being able to prove it. Which makes agnostics, the ones who cant decide, the worst of the bunch. Life of Pi pictures this very well as a leap of faith type deal. Religious people go up to the cliff, not knowing whether they'll make it or not, and say, God is real!, and they jump. Atheists do the same while saying, God inst real! But agnostics simply look at the cliff and say, idk if ill make that, and they turn back.

I guess the point is, proving each other wrong isn't really going to work. You can not prove that God does or does not exist, so the real point is to just do what makes yourself happy, which has been stated by other people can be either religion or atheism. But the whole point is to never ever live or die as an agnostic.

inb4 my words are jumbled and confusing. I don't believe proofreading should be a thing on a website like this.
>>
>>694674066
When we die, it's exactly like sleep. Except we never wake up. That's it.
>>
>>694699854
Heres to hoping we dont get cremated and left in a jar
>>
>>694700684
>u think about it, atheists and religious people are actually kind of the same. The both believe in something
Stop there, there are gnostic atheists and agnostic atheists. Learn the difference between lumping the two two together and saying they both believe a god doesn't exist.
>>
>>694701120
>Tfw what if
>>
>>694700873
ikr
>>
>>694699093
It's more than just irrational.

It's dishonest, because you're lying to yourself.
It's lazy, because it's picking the most obvious choice rather than seeking the truth.
It's weak and cowardly, because it's chosen out of what you _want_ to believe, what makes you _feel_ good.
It's counterproductive, because your efforts at any time are put into whatever idea you currently fancy.
And more than likely, it's both immoral and harmful, because your degradation of belief to hypotheticals means both moral and pragmatic beliefs are weakened.

People who, when asked what they believe, start off with "Maybe" are more degenerate than any religion that believes in an old book.
>>
>>694697543
If it exists then yes. But we aren't the only race on earth, or the universe. We aren't any more special than other animals.
>>
>>694701343
I agree. But in my post I was simply being purely logical. Things like dishonesty, laziness, weakness,etc. don't objectively exist, so I leave them out of most arguments I make. It makes these conversation easier for me.
>>
>>694701150
What's the difference between the two? Sorry I don't really know that, I'm trying to memorize all the genders first
>>
>>694701343
I agree! I like to think that the maybes are generally agnostics. Imo you should pick what you like most, but don't pick neither.
>>
>>694702196
No worries, it's pretty simple.
Agnostic=not claiming knowledge
Gnostic=claiming knowledge
Atheist=lacking belief in a go
Theist=holding belief in a god
So you can have gnostic/agnostic theists and gnostic/agnostic atheists.
>>
>>694700684
Nope. You're wrong.

Your assertion is basically "Well atheists can't know 100% of everything with 100% certainty, therefore what they do belief is faith which is equivalent to Scientology and Mormonism."

Not believing in something is not "faith that it does not exist." I don't have faith that "vibrations" exist. Or that pink unicorns don't exist. Or that a giant baby the size of a million galaxies hovering just outside of the perceivable universe exists.
What I have is a default. Before hearing any of those things, I didn't believe them because how could I without knowing? Then I heard about them, or even thought them up on the spot, and nothing I've seen by way of evidence or experience suggests otherwise. That's not faith, that's sticking what is known to be true until data suggests otherwise, and the same is true for god.

If I've read the Bible and found it to be a weak argument, that's not me having "faith" against it, that's the Bible having an in incompetent argument.
>>
My finger fits in my butthole. Checkmate atheists
>>
>>694702649
Gnostic atheist say there is no god and I don't believe in one. Whereas a agnostic atheist says I don't know for certain, but I don't hold belief in a god. Same thing with theists, but in reverse.
>>
>>694701724
It does, I was just trying to add on to what you were saying.

You can say that those things don't "objectively" exists, which is true, but the functionally exist in society and human nature. Which means there's still justifiable reason to analyze if something is harmful or helpful to them.
>>
>>694701343
How is a "God" obvious? I'd never even be able to even make up God if I weren't raised by Catholics, religion never made any sense to me and I was always against it. We've disproven it's existence over and over again. Not entirely, but people used to believe winds, lightings, volcanos and planets/stars are influenced by Gods. I like the fact that religion exists because there will always be people who know it's bullshit and they'll try to disprove it, thus advancing mankind. And also I generally believe mythologies are a fine art of fiction, I really love mythological worlds.
>>
>>694674066
Then you would be the Tales from the Crypt episode You, Murderer
>>
>>694680612
Seat of consciousness has not yet been found. Evidence merely suggests the chemical reactions in your brain may contribute to it. This is very narrow-minded, unscientific thinking.
>>
God doesn't exist. Proof: Hillary Clinton exists. And Black Lives matter exists.
>>
>>694702902
Again I agree, it's really just my taste in arguments, so to speak.
>>
>>694703239
Literally every scrap of evidence points to the brain being the origin of our consciousness.
>>
>>694674066

Tape the hardest maths equasion in the world to my eyelids so I also go insane but at least i'm not too bored.
>>
>>694703483
What do you do when you solve it?
>>
File: Sara.jpg (221 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Sara.jpg
221 KB, 720x960
>>694674066
What if Op were heterosexual?
>>
>>694676036

I thought this too until my friend died

>Friend says he feels weird
>Asks me to drive him to the hospital
>On the way he has a heart attack
>Dies right before we get there
>Doctors end up reviving him
>He was dead ~3 minutes
>He was able to describe everything that happened while he was dead
>Even in rooms he wasn't in
>>
>>694674066
Will be the same as before you were born.
>>
>>694702414
You can't pick neither. That's what people don't understand.

Are you doing the things the Bible says you have to do to get to heaven? No? Then you obviously don't hold a belief that they are true. Ergo you are "not a theist", or using the "a-" prefix of negation, an "atheist".

It's that simple. People who use agnostic are people who are sick of militant atheists (fair enough) or want to feel superior than everyone else, while really being far inferior.
>>
>>694703697
Let me guess, he described a hospital room. White walls? Swinging doors? A bed. Some beeping perhaps. I bet there was an IV pole. HOLY SHIT, I WAS THERE TOO!!!
>>
>>694703697
Forgive me for not taking the word of a random human as evidence for the seemingly supernatural.
Or evidence for anything else for that matter...
>>
>>694703471
There is literally no evidence of a causal relationship. You're belief in it is the same as a religious man's belief in his god.
>>
>>694703697
He wasn't clinically dead, still had brain activity and shit.
>>
>>694703584
T'would be like dividing by zero everyone knows op is always faget
>>
>>694697519
Everything is God. The sunset, you, me, all of it. And when we die, we're still part of it. There's no way we can comprehend what that will be like, because we still know almost nothing about the universe we live in.

That's my reply to this thread at least.
>>
>>694703931

The first thing he said to me when he woke up was "They spelled my name wrong up front." The secretary misspelled his last name
>>
>>694704082
I farted and it stinks. Proof that God doesn't exist
>>
>>694679908
How is it bait? I want to know if its real too you cancer faggot
>>
>>694703915
People who use the term agnostic to describe themselves are particularly annoying. They probably just don't realize that atheist/theist is a dichotomy that they can't break out of by calling themselves a relatively unrelated term.
>>
>>694704128
Out of body experience maybe. Maybe when you are near death your senses heighten
>>
>>694685258
Im high and this blew my mind
>>
>>694676036
This is the reductionist, materialistic way of viewing things.

Ok, so how does a chemical reaction explain the experience of seeing the color blue? How does it explain awareness?

The answer is: it doesn't. Not yet anyway. Saying it does just makes you a pompous buffoon.
>>
>>694704323

He described it like he was everywhere at once (within ~100 feet of his body)
>>
>>694703966
NO, there is no evidence for god, whereas there is evidence for you brain being the "seat of concsiousness" as you put it. Even simple thought experiments such as "A man is mentally fine until he receives a head injury , and suddenly he has a completely different identity. (see Phineous Gage (hope I spelled that right.)
>>
>>694704128
Soo, just for trolling sake. Why was the secretary in the room / why would he be anywhere close to one since i'd assume he'd have gone through the emergency entrance. But hey. The important thing is, YOU believe it.
>>
>>694704128
Probably he heard someone spell it out incorrectly when she was taking his name.
>>
>>694704072
Clinical death refers to cessation of blood circulation and breathing. Brain activity can still occur and be measured for some small amount of time after clinical death.
>>
>>694703471
Every scrap of evidence we have, ok. Does culminate in a conclusive amount? One that is able to construct a theory as confident as gravity or chemistry?
>>
>>694704605

They still had me check him in and shit. I'm not family I couldn't go back with him
>>
>>694704557

Once I said if God is real make it rain then the song "it's raining men" came on the radio
>>
>>694704407
Yes it does actually, we have mapped out exactly how our bodies process sight. The fact that you don't know this serves to portray your own ignorance and baffoonism.
>>
>>694704682
Well damn if you haven't convinced me.
>>
>>694702909
Where'd I ever say that a god is obvious?

I was talking about the people who say things like "maybe god is in all of us" or even "maybe we were put on this earth to learn something." It's self-indulgent dribble that 9 times out of 10 is people stating a belief - their belief that they fabricated literally out of nothing, but they preempt it with "maybe" to try to dodge criticism.
>>
>>694704850
I said make it rain. Then someone got their salad tossed
>>
>op rhinks margo rovbies tits are a big deal

She is bare fucking naked in wolf of wallstreet
>>
>>694704682
I wouldn't say it's as sound (though I'm not an expert), but to assume magic is a better alternative is absurd.
>>
>>694703870
This
>>
>>694704850
Checkmat athiests.
>>
>>694705255

>implying pussy is better than tits
>>
>>694704710
But you were with him when he woke up, i mean, despite not letting you go with him.
>>
>>694704935
And how does the process of sight link to experience of sight?

The fact that you're trapped in your materialistic little bubble is what's truly sad. This isn't woo woo, this is basic philosophy, which actually does have ties to the real world.

Let's break it down super simple: we have found no reason WHY our bodies have consciousness, or HOW they do. All they have found is evidence to show that they're linked in some way.
>>
>>694705534
You can see literally everything in wolf of wallstreet
>>
>>694704605
So you've never been to a hospital then? Lucky you
>>
>>694705369
I farted and scratched my ass. I sniffed my finger and passed out. Checkmate athetits
>>
>>694704407
http://www.brainfacts.org/sensing-thinking-behaving/senses-and-perception/articles/2012/vision-processing-information/
>>
>>694705699
Whatever makes you happy bud. If lying to anon fills your bucket keep jackin' off I'm not judging.
>>
>>694705307
You know who says "if it's not X it must be Y"?
Fucking creationists.

The "new" atheists get up on stage and say how great science is because we can say "I don't know", but off stage no one dares utter the phrase.
>>
File: 1454653065174.jpg (58 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1454653065174.jpg
58 KB, 960x960
>>694685258
so in regards to that...would you say that the buddhist belief of reincarnation isn't just total bullshit?
>>
>>694705646
>we have found no reason WHY our bodies have consciousness, or HOW they do.
The fact that your'e living in your 12th century bubble is what's truly sad. We know how conciousness works, we know why it exists, and we definitely know it,s connected to our body.
>This isn't woo woo, this is basic philosophy
Uh no its woo woo. If there isn't supporting evidence, then there's no objective reason to believe it
>>
>>694705736
Wow, you really are dense.

So where does consciousness come in in that article? When is it mentioned?

I really don't think you understand what "consciousness" is.
>>
>>694705640

>The first thing he said TO ME
>>
>>694674066

What if OP is in high school, with no understanding of science or medicine?

He makes shit threads on /b/ that flaunt his stupidity. Showcased for all to see.

When he gets home from school the black man fucking his mom makes him fetch a beer from the fridge while his mom snorts crack off Jamal's wet flaccid cock.

Even better, his stepdad wakes from his drunken slumber on the front porch and beats OP for being a queer until he passes out, completely in the darkness, seeing nothing, hearing next to nothing, and only feeling the kid next door drawing dicks on his face.

What if?
>>
>>694705999
That is not even close to an accurate comparison to what I said, I said it's a bad idea to believe in magical explanations for natural processes. How about you not blatantly misrepresent your opponent (you know, like a creationist)
>The "new" atheists get up on stage and say how great science is because we can say "I don't know", but off stage no one dares utter the phrase.
I don't even know what this has to do with our conversation so I'll ignore it.
>>
>>694706203
Ha.

Ok bud, you go ahead and just state random assertions. It's ok, I get it, I was a freshman in college once too.
>>
>>694681667

;_; thanks for sharing the dream, /b/rother
>>
>>694706180
Well, as far as what i know about the buddhist belief. Then they believe you will be reincarnated on earth and may be reincarnated in different time periods. I find that to be incredibly unlikely. Also time only moves forward, and will likely continue to move forward even when you die.
>>
>>694706585
Please go back through that post chain and tell me once where I (or any other anon) mentioned "magic".

That's what I meant. You're as paranoid and defensive as a creationist. Nobody in those posts mentioned magic but you assume that anyone who offers dissent must believe it's magic.
>>
>>694706344
That's because the article had nothing to do with consciousness fuckwit. It was explaining why your dumb ass can "experience blue."
>>
>>694706796
So in other words, you do still believe it is just religious-belief speak? I mean I wouldn't believe it either, as it sounds too good to come back as the same consciousness, feeling the echoes of a past life in your desicion.
>>
>>694706796
>time only moves forward

Time is a dimension.

Human beings perceive time moving "forward" because of entropy. Physical processes required to produce complexity must, by the laws of physics, increase entropy, therefore we perceive the universe as happening from a state of less entropy to more.
>>
Honestly. My biggest fear.
>>
>>694707021
*decisions
>>
>>694706660
Your the one saying that consciousness may be disconnected from the body, a claim that has no evidence. How about you stop projecting your shitty debate practices onto other people?
>>
>>694674066
i think you are being ridicolous, do you even biology?
>>
>>694706911
Call it what you want. Mysticism, woo, magik, I don't care. Bullsit without evidence is bullshit without evidence. Now back to /x/ where you and your's belong
>>
>>694706944
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_argument#Thought_experiment
>>
Nope. You detach from your body when you die. It takes a couple minutes to fully happen. Depending on how you die you become confus as to what happened but eventually you'll figure it out. Otherwise the other dead people will help you figure it out. Then you cross the veil or stick around your choice. Crossing the veil opens you up to alot of choices, not all of this earth. GL Anon!
>>
>>694706911
Also, way to sidestep me calling you out on your
"you say that if it's not x than it's y " bullshit. Takes someone with real guts to walk away with that in your face
>>
>>694691926
"Nice pic" - Ancient Greek
>>
>>694707151
>may be disconnected

Wow, so that's what science has come to. Even though. Saying that things are not 100% certain is scandalous. Cool.
>>
>>694707021

When you die you die. You're memories will in no sense survive any of it. They would be gone forever. In a literal sense, you could say that you've probably already experience an infinite amount of lives already, and will so also in the future. How many of those lives do you remember?

>>694707093

According to conventional science, yes. That's how we understand it now, and thats how it is most convenient for us to understand it given our current situation of existence. I wouldn't take anything that science tried to explain to explain something else right now as too literal or 100% true.
>>
>>694704128
sounds like a united states government false flag. just like 9/11, world war 2, michael brown, trayvon martin, and the gunpowder plot (1605)
>>
>>694707332
Ok fine, I'll go back through since you're too lazy.

>Based on scientific evidence, this is not possible.

>Seat of consciousness has not yet been found. Evidence merely suggests the chemical reactions in your brain may contribute to it. This is very narrow-minded, unscientific thinking.

>Literally every scrap of evidence points to the brain being the origin of our consciousness.

>Every scrap of evidence we have, ok. Does culminate in a conclusive amount? One that is able to construct a theory as confident as gravity or chemistry?

Wow, just look at all that woo!

This isn't about making an assertion without evidence. This is about not believing an assertion to be undeniably correct because of insufficient evidence.

>>694707647
Nope, didn't sidestep. You just have selective reading.
Nobody mentioned magic. You said "if you're not saying it's my answer then you must be saying it's magic." That's all there is to it.
>>
>>694707900
None, which is why it would be hard for me to believe that happens at all. I mean, that would have to mean after death that's it, and even if there's a chance a similar consciousness could be replicated, you wouldn't feel like the same person anyway. On that subject: would someone really WANT to remember an old life they lived fondly, and know they cannot go back to a time where the people they loved are no longer alive? I know I sure as hell wouldn't.
>>
>>694707742
Oh cry me a river. You are standing on an position that is completely unfounded by evidence and you sit there and call me out on imprecise word usage.
>>
>>694683733
Why do atheists always have to start of with "Im a atheist" ...

Same as vegans.

"Im a athiest, i like the colour blue"
>>
>>694707900
>I wouldn't take anything that science tried to explain to explain something else right now as too literal or 100% true.
Too true.
That's all I've been trying to say in this thread but apparently anything with more than 2 shades is too complex for /b/.
>>
>>694708284
I have no position. I'm just not standing on yours.
>>
When you are reincarnated most often you choose the body you enter. There's an inkling what type of life is going to be lived and you choose that one based on lessons that can be learned. If you are not capable of making a good decision like that the body is chosen for you. Whatever happens we are here to grow.
>>
>>694708304
Its just the classical fear of the unknown. Alot of people can't even entertain the idea that maybe what they know or believe may be wrong.
>>
>>694693910
Also, if you lived life evilly, wouldn't the devil reward you for bringing more evil into the world?
>>
>>694708569
Grow into what?
>>
>>694708184
Nope, didn't sidestep. You just have selective reading.
Nobody mentioned magic. You said "if you're not saying it's my answer then you must be saying it's magic." That's all there is to it.
Woo did it again
As too the rest of what you said, all of your previous statements allude to you believing the body rests outside of the brain. that is woo.
>This is about not believing an assertion to be undeniably correct because of insufficient evidence.
I never claimed anything is undeniably correct. I said it was the best conclusion to draw. So you just drew another strawman. Seriously buddy, just go to /x/. Thy love this shit over there.
>>
>>694708657
Higher beings or Lower beings. You can grow in either direction it's your choice. Light needs dark and dark needs light.
>>
>>694708422
Really? Your not standing on the "the brain is the source of consciousness is the best positon to take based on all evidence gathered" position? And why is that?
>>
This is the reason I'm skeptical about becoming an organ donor when i die
>>
>>694708999
I see where you're getting at. I just wouldn't call it grow. More like change. I also find it very hard to believe we get any kind of choice after death, and that there even is such a concept as "death". I would just call it inexistence or loss of the ability to comprehend time.
>>
>>694674066
once your body is gone you realized you were tethered to a vessel, and if you are wise enough you free yourself from in. If you are not, you remain wanting of a body, until you are recycled.

Tis the essence of life.
>>
>>694674066
Not knowing what source images were used, I'm struggling to figure out how this was shopped.
>>
>>694704188
It's photoshop. It's a shame really, seeing as Margot Robbie is beautiful 10/10 with her natural rack. And someone put someone else's rack on her, for shame...
>>
>>694708844
>allude

Oh! Ok, so now we've reached the problem.

See, I can disagree with 1 explanation without automatically defaulting to the other explanation. There was no "alluding", that was an assumption on your part.

Ah! And another problem. See I never saw anything about being "the best conclusion to draw", all I saw was attacking the things that I never said I believe. I still disagree with you though; the "best conclusion to draw" would be that there's some form of relationship between consciousness and the brain, not that the latter produces the former. Because there is nothing to be gained by going that extra step.
>>
>>694709906
You got dat proof? I want dat proof doe.
>>
>>694708844
And you know what? You're right. You never did say "It's either X or Y", I'll admit that. You just *alluded* to it. You brought up "magic" when no one else in the post chain mentioned it, which contextually seemed to imply that it is the only other alternative. But yes, I misread the context. I made a mistake and it won't kill me to say it.
>>
File: upload.jpg (60 KB, 833x959) Image search: [Google]
upload.jpg
60 KB, 833x959
\thread
>>
>>694710161
I never really attacked anything you said other than what I saw to be arguments meant to misrepresent my positions (of which there were plenty). But at least now you have stated your position instead of whining incesantly about how people had to take all of what you were saying earlier and draw the best picture available.
So you believe " the "best conclusion to draw" would be that there's some form of relationship between consciousness and the brain, not that the latter produces the former."
And show me any evidence to back that up. Everything we have points directly to the conclusion that consciousness is a process carried out by the brain. What is the reason for believing that the two are simply linked?
>>
>>694711120
kek
>>
>>694706180
Reincarbation is possible if there's a finite amount of matter, there's a finite number of combinations. You have to see it with numbers you take 3 numbers each ranging from 1 to 9 first being 111 last being 999. After the 999 mark there is no new combination so it's bound to start repeating itself. Same goes for atoms when there's a finite number of them.
>>
>>694674066
woah sauceo n that pic
>>
>>694711201
You do an experiment and find that A effects B. The conclusion you can draw is that A effects B.
To go beyond that, what is the reason for believing that the two are more than linked? That it "is a process" when it could just be effected by processes?

Besides that "Everything we have points directly to" it.
>>
People always want dat evidence. By the time we as a species figure out the physical nature of life after death, we will have already evolved to the point where it will just be a given anyway. As of right now our technology is too limited, but that's for the good of things anyway. We aren't meant to know what happens after death because that would stifle our growth, we have much to do.
>>
>>694681322
applause
>>
>>694712198
Occams razor states, "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected." Saying that there is the brain and a consciousness that are connected in some unexplained way but can effect each other makes more assumptions than just saying the brain is the source of consciousness, especially when we know how it produces said consciousness.
>>
>>694712822
That's a flawed way of interpreting it. Saying that something is unexplained is not an assumption. It's the opposite. It's accepting that we don't know, because we don't know. An explanation can be incomplete and still be the most accurate. Going beyond what the data tells us to a conclusion, that is making an assumption.

And I still have yet to see "how it produces said consciousness". If you do have some data that I've missed, please, tell me, I'd love to know, truly.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 540x960
>>694674066
Op after having dreams like these b4. I honestly believe this has to be true.
Well in some way

In my dream I was with 2 homies who back stabbed me we were walking along this empty trail out of no where they try to rob me, they pull gun on my face and I try to grab it out there hand. I hear a bang and next thing u know I see my body's in the ground with a hole in its head and the homies were walking away from my corpse after they ran my pockets while the whole time I'm watching them outside of my body I can't touch them and they can't hear me, but I can talk and walk they just walked away while talking about how it was easy to do me in. While I was mad af at my self for not pulling out my gun faster (there was no chance) Then I woke up.
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 960x959) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 960x959
>>694714181
My bad after I died In my dream it was like I was in spectator mode like in those cod games when u play S&D for better explanation. You could be right OP but we will never know till our time comes.
>>
>>694674066
Your consciousness is a product of a functional brain. When you die, your brain stops functioning. This is a contradiction.
>>
>>694713927
>Saying that something is unexplained is not an assumption.
That wasn't the part I was saying was an assuption.
It's accepting that we don't know, because we don't know.
In the same way that we don't know that invisible monkeys fly over our heads, sure. It is possible that our consciousness' our separate from our brain but why assume that when the facts are better accounted for by the theory that they are produced by our brain.
>And I still have yet to see "how it produces said consciousness". If you do have some data that I've missed, please, tell me, I'd love to know, truly.
Dude, even you must realize that it's unfair to ask me to explain something so complex as the brain's production of the mind on fucking /b/. If you really want to know go to college for a couple years. Or maybe start by looking up basic facts about the brain on the internet. Shouldn't be too hard.
>>
Holy shit this thread is 6 hours old. Think the mods are asleep or somethin?
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 810x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 810x960
>>694715085

What can I tell me bout my posts?
>>694714181
>>694714600

It's pretty freaky in my dream that that's my interpretation of life after death....... You enter spectator mode for the rest of eternity.
>>
>>694715325
more than me can
>>
File: 1468178575711.gif (527 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
1468178575711.gif
527 KB, 500x352
>>694692569
prove it fag . die and come back to tell us .
>>
>>694713927
>>694715109
https://aeon.co/essays/how-consciousness-works-and-why-we-believe-in-ghosts

here seems like a good place to begin your quest for knowledge.
>>
>>694715475
If u ever get one of those dreams write that shit dwn nigga, I think I only get these type of dreamz cuz of past drug use. Mostly shrooms and 700mgs of DPH.
>>
File: 1467313826738.webm (2 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1467313826738.webm
2 MB, 1280x544
>>694715325
that was your imagination . i had a dream where i died in my sleep, so real i believe it . blackness total "is this death".
soul try to leave my "dead" body
ripping pain that nearly made me do a front flip from my bed
also have "feelings" from old life's , best shit ever . you can tap from old experiences make your rly learn stuff and appreciated what you have
>>
>>694716121
In my dreams if it involved me getting shot or stabbed, I would be in so much fucking pain like if it was actually happening to me forreal but these mostly happen when I was going thru episodes of sleep paralysis or nightmares.
>>
>>694715109

I'm not saying it's fair, but if you're going to repeatedly say "All the evidence points there", it's not like I can just say "Oh, well ok then." I have to ask. And I don't expect you to educate me, but then if you don't post anything then that sentence means nothing to me (at least tonight, I'll try to look into it on my own, but in the context of an argument, saying "All the evidence" without being prepared to give any is really pointless. And FYI, been to college, just didn't major in biology or psychology.)

>In the same way that we don't know that invisible monkeys fly over our heads, sure.
Yes, and Bertrand Russel's teapot is really out there.
But if we're done with cutesy fun cases, there's the legit stuff that we just don't know, and we admit we don't know. We say "this is the data we have, but we don't have a concrete reason behind it."
In this case, it's not a flying monkey, it's causation. Correlation does not imply causation. You say "why assume that", and for the 100th time, I'm not saying assume any alternative.
You are exactly right, we should follow the facts. And the facts tell us that that there is a correlation, and that's what we should accept as true. In order to get to "causation" you'd have to supply additional data to bridge that gap, and until I see that data, the most logical and scientific thing for me to do is to not assume it exists.

"Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain. But yet we see around us every day the growth of new beliefs, which think themselves new; and which are yet but the old, which pretend to be young--like the fine ladies at the opera." (Van Helsing, Dracula)

I'm going to bed.
>>
>>694706487
Lolwut
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.